HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Nash finalist for NHL Foundation Award

Old
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Casework

vCash: 500
Nash finalist for NHL Foundation Award

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=421365

Quote:
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown, Montreal Canadiens right winger Alex Kovalev and Columbus Blue Jackets left winger Rick Nash have been named finalists for the 11th annual NHL Foundation Player Award in recognition of their commitment and service to charities in their communities.
BlueJackets.com:

Quote:
Nash has become one of the most active Blue Jackets in the community, giving his time, money and support to improve the lives of people throughout central Ohio. He established the #61 Club to encourage students to make healthy choices and rewards those who do. Through the #61 Club Good Health Challenge, he provides more than 30 tickets to every Blue Jackets home game to students who make 61 healthy choices in a month. He donated $100,000 to The Ohio State University Athletics Department to endow a scholarship for a student-athlete and gave $25,000 as a founding donor of the John H. McConnell Scholarship Fund in memory of the Blue Jackets founder and majority owner. He made a $5,000 contribution to the 2009 Quebec Pee Wee team that represented Columbus, to pay for travel expenses so families would be able to attend with their children. For the past four years, he has donated $15,000 annually to Santa's Silent Helpers, which helps families with children, single mothers and the elderly in central Ohio who are experiencing financial hardships.
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=421376

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Skraut

I know Nash is a bigger "Star" but I'd give it to Manny or Chimmer for always being with Ryan Salmons.

Not to take ANYTHING away from Rick, he does a ton, bot those two guys seemed to give even more.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I know Nash is a bigger "Star" but I'd give it to Manny or Chimmer for always being with Ryan Salmons.

Not to take ANYTHING away from Rick, he does a ton, bot those two guys seemed to give even more.
I disagree. They did great things for Ryan, so I'm not going to get into an argument about this, but Nash does a lot more than people realize. Did you read the list of his contributions? Things no one in Columbus knew until that Dispatch article a year and a half ago.

Last edited by Casework: 05-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Should've been Chimera. I never saw Nash spend time with Ryan Salmons.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post

Salmons spent a lot of time in the locker room. Unless Nash took it upon himself to completely ignore him, I would say they spent some time together.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:06 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Congrats to Nash.

You know you have a team of great guys when there can be an argument over who does the most for others.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I never saw Nash do any of the things he's supposed to have done in that list above. Suspicious?

Old
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Apparently, he was too busy writing checks to spend time with Ryan.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Jacket Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I never saw Nash do any of the things he's supposed to have done in that list above. Suspicious?
I would say that we didn't hear about is because he didn't want the publicity. As far as this award and who deserves it, who cares. They all did great things outside of hockey, not for recognition but because they had the means to. This award, IMHO, is an NHL PR award and means little to the players themselves.

Jacket Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Jacket Canuck

Quote:
I would say that we didn't hear about is because he didn't want the publicity. As far as this award and who deserves it, who cares. They all did great things outside of hockey, not for recognition but because they had the means to. This award, IMHO, is an NHL PR award and means little to the players themselves.

Jacket Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
tyler1

61 is about as humble of a man that you will ever meet.
Low keyed, and very unassuming, especially in public.
All of his charity work being on the d-low , does not suprise me one bit.

tyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

Quote:
I got it without the

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

So I guess Mase will have someone to hang out with at the awards show. Good for Nasher. He definately deserves it. He does a lot more in the community than I think even the dispatch realizes. Just a great all around guy and he needed to be recognized for his efforts off the ice as well as he on the ice work. Great job Nasher!

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 05:04 PM
jktsfan*

We have a great group of guys - that's for sure. Congrats to Nash for this honor.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Pluckfur

I think it's great Nash was nominated. I've been to several Jacket charity events (most associated with Wright's Hats for Heroes - which saw much of the leadership commitment assumed by Malhotra when TW left) and read many Dispatch reports on other charitable events sponsored by the Jacket org. I've rarely (if ever that I can remember) seen Nash out on the front lines of active charity duty. So, maybe he's just not good with sick kids? His charitable donations/commitment happens to monetary - this works plenty well in my book.

Congrats to Mr. Nash.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Renion

Congrats to Nash.

Fun little game: I didn't know what this award was. I read the first line, with the list of candidates, and tried to figure out what in the world the award could be. I don't think anyone could ever figure it out without a little help

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Anyone happen to have a link to the Christmas 2008 article in the Dispatch about Nash.

I remember having tears in my eyes after reading it...

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Anyone happen to have a link to the Christmas 2008 article in the Dispatch about Nash.

I remember having tears in my eyes after reading it...

Is this what you're looking for?? http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=458119

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Casework

If you want the link to the Dispatch, you can find it at http://jacketscannon.com.

Old
05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Congradulations to Nash for being nominated, it's an honor.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:52 AM
punk_o_holic

Congrats to Nash along with Brown and Kovalev. Great to see those players being such a great part of the community and I'm sure there are more players out there.

But hopefully Nash wins it. I said it in the past but I'll say it again. When Columbus came to Vancouver this season, a couple from Columbus I met at the game and I were walking up the steps and we saw another Columbus fan who was special needs person. We talked to her and she said she met Nash and got to go to the locker room and told us how Nash signed her jersey. She had the biggest smile on her face when she was telling us as well. Another reason why Nash is my favourite player, great to the community and the fans.

Also regarding the Salmons thing. Wasn't Chimera and Malholtra his two favourite players and that is why those 2 were with him quite abit?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
CateLeigh

I have to chime in on this because this is what I have been telling anyone who would sit still and listen for the past several months... plain and simple fact, these are great guys.

I am thrilled that Nash is up for this award and I know it is an individual award, but I think he is also representing the entire team on this one. These guys do so much and a huge percentage of it goes without any fanfare and recognition. That alone speaks volumes to me about the character of these people. They don't do PR stunts....

As I have mentioned on here before, my daughter is a "hats for heroes" kid. She has been involved in several events through the Foundation and we have had the good fortune to meet a number of the guys on the team. Kate and Wendy with the Foundation are angels on earth, and they are all backed by an organization that was founded on Mr. Mac's ideals. I could go on for pages about the things they have done, the experiences my daughter has gotten to have, little things one or another has said to us that touched our hearts, even the small gesture of a hug or a wink EVERY time she sees one of her "buddies"... And it is just these things I am aware of - I know we are one of many families who's lives these men, this organization, have touched.

Without a doubt I believe Nash deserves this award and that if he wins, he will be representing the whole organization.

CateLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote