HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Around Hockey II (All Non-Jackets related NHL/Hockey Talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I have a hard time seeing a town the size of Dayton with an AHL team. Heck, Cincinnati couldn't sell enough tickets to justify bringing back the AHL, and its a town that supported two minor league teams for several years.

If Dayton folds permanently I hope the ECHL considers giving Youngstown a franchise. They supported the CHL pretty well, but the travel expenses and lack of natural rivalry made it impossible for it to work long-term. With Wheeling, Cincinnati and the new Toledo franchise in the ECHL, I think Youngstown could make a go of it.
It would work. 2 things hurt the Bombers, imo. Losing their affiliation with CBJ (and any NHL team for that matter) and playing at the Nutter Center. Even if you got a good crowd in their it seemed empty. It was just too big for an ECHL hockey team. Plus, the owners of the Dragons don't do anything that doesn't work. They have teams all over the country and have been successful. If they think it would work I have no doubt it would. They wouldn't do something they hadn't researched to the fullest and knew had a great chance of working.

Old
03-31-2009, 11:13 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Wasn't enough of a miracle. Anaheim had a power play for pretty much the end of the game and scored an empty net goal to make it 5-3.
Too bad. That takes a point off our seperation from the 9th place team.

Old
03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Ya, I saw... though break Oil getting that late penalty. Edmonton is just about ready for some golf.
Here's WHY there was a Ducks PP at the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Thought it was thread worthy. Having scored twice in over a minute to cut a 3 goal deficit to 1 with just over 2 minutes left in the game, MacT calls for a stick measurement and it turns out the stick is legal. Ouch. Ducks score on an EN PP to ice the game and likely end Edmonton's season.
Selanne was the player in question, but still, way to kill momentum, MacT. You just likely ended the season of the Oilers, and your job most likely as well.

Old
04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Here's WHY there was a Ducks PP at the end...

Selanne was the player in question, but still, way to kill momentum, MacT. You just likely ended the season of the Oilers, and your job most likely as well.
MacT is only half of their problems. Kevin Lowe has no idea how to build a winner. I'm starting to wonder if Howson was the only thing that kept them from imploding sooner.

Old
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Mason4Heisman

For anyone interested in youth hockey in central Ohio, here's a youtube video about the U16 AAA Jackets who recently made Nationals, the first team from central Ohio to do so. They're currently at the National Tournament, and unfortunately lost this morning 5-3. One goal was an empty net goal, and the very first goal scored against the AAA Jackets was pretty much a repeat of Mason's attempted clear against St. Louis.

Connor Murphy is one of the players interviewed in the video, and if you guessed that he is Gord Murphy's son you'd be correct. Anyways, it's nice to see how far the youth hockey in central Ohio has progressed.

Old
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Blews at Hawks tonight...gotta pull for the Hawks. I know we are "chasing" them, but we have gamesagainst them to get the points needed, and the Blews need to feel that cold sting of defeat from someone very soon.

Old
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Blews at Hawks tonight...gotta pull for the Hawks. I know we are "chasing" them, but we have gamesagainst them to get the points needed, and the Blews need to feel that cold sting of defeat from someone very soon.
I'm going to let the chips fall where they may and take care of business soon enough.

I hate these games where you're darned either way, lol.

Old
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
I'm going to let the chips fall where they may and take care of business soon enough.

I hate these games where you're darned either way, lol.
Darned either way? NO. Darned if St. Louis wins. Chicago winning effects our chances of MAKING THE PLAYOFFS in no way.

Old
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
Darned either way? NO. Darned if St. Louis wins. Chicago winning effects our chances of MAKING THE PLAYOFFS in no way.
I kind of liked staying within 3 points of Chicago for 5th if they were to lose....however, ST Louis is down 2-0 to Chicago and they only have 7 SOGs and it's almost 2nd intermission.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Agreed, if one is worried about St. Louis one may as well forfeit our first round of the playoffs as well..

I want the 5th seed... Few runners win a race when looking back...

Old
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
You're looking way too much into what I said. Darned as in we either lose cushion below us, or lose ground above us.

But if we have to worry about St. Louis catching us, we're screwed.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agreed, if one is worried about St. Louis one may as well forfeit our first round of the playoffs as well..

I want the 5th seed... Few runners win a race when looking back...
Fine, you can think that way. Chicago wins and we are effected in no way. St. Louis wins and our lead on 9th plays gets smaller. But, hey, I am just one of those crazy people who would rather get in at 8th than not get in at all.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
winJACKETSwin

Congrats to Mike Green... First 30 goal D-Man since '93! Norris is a lock.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Fine, you can think that way. Chicago wins and we are effected in no way. St. Louis wins and our lead on 9th plays gets smaller. But, hey, I am just one of those crazy people who would rather get in at 8th than not get in at all.
And who's fault would that be? We lost twice to them this past weekend, only securing one point that we pretty much stole.

WE control our path. If WE don't make it, it's not because others won or lost games, it's because WE didn't do enough to win and make it in, and losing those two games to St. Louis, losing that game at Tampa, those are things that would be our undoing.

Old
04-02-2009, 09:40 AM
skimp

I have a protocol question: when is the proper time to begin growing a playoff beard? Is it when the team clinches? When the regular season ends? The day of the first playoff game?

Old
04-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
I have a protocol question: when is the proper time to begin growing a playoff beard? Is it when the team clinches? When the regular season ends? The day of the first playoff game?
I believe Hitch said when the regular season is over

Old
04-02-2009, 09:52 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Guesses on which guys are incapable of growing one? Nash has had half a beard most of the season.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
Guesses on which guys are incapable of growing one? Nash has had half a beard most of the season.
Most of the kids look pretty smooth. I'm sure we'll see a few patchy quasi-beards.

I foresee a brilliant CBJ HF Boards poster playoff beard thread in the future. I wonder who'll grow the best one.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Did a search on Google Image for "playoff beard" and the first pic that hits is Commie when he played for the Canes. That's a sign... and a good one.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
Did a search on Google Image for "playoff beard" and the first pic that hits is Commie when he played for the Canes. That's a sign... and a good one.
We're on a mission from God.

Old
04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I'm all for focusing on 4th or 5th. The Jackets just have to win a few games to get in no matter what anyone else does, but with a few losses by Calgary and Chicago, a 5-0 or 4-1 finish just might put them in a better seed.

I think it's much better to focus on what you want than what you don't want.

Old
04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
It would work. 2 things hurt the Bombers, imo. Losing their affiliation with CBJ (and any NHL team for that matter) and playing at the Nutter Center. Even if you got a good crowd in their it seemed empty. It was just too big for an ECHL hockey team. Plus, the owners of the Dragons don't do anything that doesn't work. They have teams all over the country and have been successful. If they think it would work I have no doubt it would. They wouldn't do something they hadn't researched to the fullest and knew had a great chance of working.
It seemed like getting a good crowd was at times a tough task of late. I went to three or four games this season (the last being last Friday night) & it seemed no more than half full at best.

Old
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Robert
Foligno family

It would be nice if the Flames lose tonight, we would be even in games and only 4 points behind..., with two games against Chicago who knows.

I never thought it possible but there is a chance for home ice advantage if we can run the table and those two teams tank.

Old
04-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

So folks, here's the rooting guide:

THURSDAY
Below the bar impact:
  • Sharks over Oilers in regulation. Oilers lose more ground on us to help us clinch quicker.
  • Wings over Blues in regulation. Blues' issue would be same as Oilers.

Above the bar impact:
  • Vancouver over Anaheim. Gives us breathing room over the No. 7 Ducks, plus see next item.
  • Dallas over Calgary. Dallas can't catch us, but we can still catch Calgary, and it's easier to do so if Vancouver pulls away in the NW Division.

FRIDAY
Above the bar impact:
  • Minnesota over Calgary. Helps us that much more in the chase for a higher seed. The Wild are actually below the bar, but if they catch us, then we pretty much put together an epic choke job.
  • Nashville-Chicago: just avoid a 3-pointer. Depending on your school of thought, Chicago loss gets us closer to a higher seed, but a Nashville loss gives us breathing room. I like the former, given we play Nashville the next night and control that situation there, but regardless, we do NOT want a 3-pointer!

Old
04-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
So folks, here's the rooting guide:

THURSDAY
Below the bar impact:
  • Sharks over Oilers in regulation. Oilers lose more ground on us to help us clinch quicker.
  • Wings over Blues in regulation. Blues' issue would be same as Oilers.

Above the bar impact:
  • Vancouver over Anaheim. Gives us breathing room over the No. 7 Ducks, plus see next item.
  • Dallas over Calgary. Dallas can't catch us, but we can still catch Calgary, and it's easier to do so if Vancouver pulls away in the NW Division.

FRIDAY
Above the bar impact:
  • Minnesota over Calgary. Helps us that much more in the chase for a higher seed. The Wild are actually below the bar, but if they catch us, then we pretty much put together an epic choke job.
  • Nashville-Chicago: just avoid a 3-pointer. Depending on your school of thought, Chicago loss gets us closer to a higher seed, but a Nashville loss gives us breathing room. I like the former, given we play Nashville the next night and control that situation there, but regardless, we do NOT want a 3-pointer!
Now your cooking with gas...above the bar is as important as below. If we can get home ice our first game will be April 15th or 16th, much better than the 20th or 21st.

Closed Thread