Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attention North Stars' fans: Looking for some information

Old
03-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Jinsell

vCash: 500
Attention North Stars' fans: Looking for some information

Tried this in the history of hockey thread and didn't get much of a response. Anyways, here it goes:

I've been doing some research on the last few years of the Minnesota North Stars before they went to Dallas and I'd like to hear some opinions. When exactly did the North Stars run into financial troubles? It seemed like there was talk of them folding/relocating for a good 4-5 years before they actually did in 1993. Norm Green came on board as owner in June 1990 (?) and seemed to breathe new life into the team at first, but then he eventually was the man who moved them out of the State of Hockey. They had some bleak seasons in 1986-87, and 1987-88. Is this the beginning of the end for the franchise in Minnesota?

What were the major newspaper publications and reporters/columnists that covered the Minnesota North Stars? Was the Minneapolis Star Tribune the major one? Was Rachel Blount the only sports reporter/columnist to cover the team in-depth or were there others (I imagine there were).

Any information or opinions are welcome.

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
dhabums*

Prepare for some Norm Green hatred.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Wild Thing

I hate Norm Green.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
I hate Norm Green.

This +1,000,000!

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Gotta hate the NHL too, for allowing the move to happen.

They work so hard to keep the NHL in failing markets like Nashville and Phoenix, yet they allowed the North Stars to move from a strong market.

It makes no sense to me.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Jinsell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post
Prepare for some Norm Green hatred.
Haha...well I figured as much. From what I've read (from Roy MacGregor's Road Games) The North Stars were a healthy NHL franchise by the early 1990s (especially following the '91 Cup Run). However, Norm Green continued to claim the franchise was costing him big money but he refused to open his books to prove it. There was some talk about him wanting to move the team to Anaheim, but Bruce McNall nixed it because the Ducks were coming into the league, so instead he sought out a better deal in Dallas. Apparently, Green was upset over his lease on the Met Center and the profits he was turning out from concessions and parking, so he moved to financially greener pastures in Dallas.

I agree it should've never happened. Anyone else have any insight? What condition was the franchise in prior to Green taking over ownership. For a while there he was seen as the Saviour of North Stars Hockey was he not?

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Pioneer13

He wanted warm weather so he could comfortably take his dogs out to poop and he had to get out of town to escape some uncomfortable sexual harassment charges.

In a nutshell, Norm Green sucks! Still does, too.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Keetz

I was just a kid when they moved. Kid meaning 21 at the actual time, but I do remember out cry from season ticket holding circles that we got screwed with the San Jose expansion draft. I could be wrong but it seemed like we lost half the freaking roster to the sharks and the gund brothers, or are we talking about the same transaction? Did Green buy the team from the Gunds? I think the whole deal is what gave everyone a bad taste. Also it was a striking and bold faced middle finger to the public when they changed the logo! That happened a year or two before the move.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Thresher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsell View Post
Any information or opinions are welcome.
Here's a New York Times article from 10/01/90:
Remaking the North Stars

Wiki 1991 Dispersal/Expansion:
North Stars selected by the Sharks

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote