HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anybody go to SLU?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2009, 09:07 AM
  #1
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Anybody go to SLU?

Hey, Jackets fan here, if that makes any difference.

I'm probably going to SLU next year and will be visiting next weekend. Oddly enough it will be my first time in the city, which sounds weird because making a college choice is tough when you haven't visited first-hand. My sister goes to Wash U though, so I know about the area and it sounds like it will suit me very well, and my parents agree.

So I wanna know if anyone on these boards has or is currently attending SLU, or will be attending in the future. It'd be nice to know someone who knows first-hand about all of the little things in the area.


Thanks,

Steve

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
  #2
Dr Turk
Registered User
 
Dr Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,451
vCash: 500
I dont go to SLU, but have several friends that do and I worked there as a research assistant over the summer. I got accepted there but will most likely go somewhere else.

The areas surrounding SLU and WashU are completely different. WashU is in the one of the nicest most upscale parts of St.Louis. Slu isnt in a good part of the city, though I've heard there security is pretty good. I wouldnt want to be in the the surrounding area at night.

What specific questions do you have?

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:29 PM
  #3
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
I dont go to SLU, but have several friends that do and I worked there as a research assistant over the summer. I got accepted there but will most likely go somewhere else.

The areas surrounding SLU and WashU are completely different. WashU is in the one of the nicest most upscale parts of St.Louis. Slu isnt in a good part of the city, though I've heard there security is pretty good. I wouldnt want to be in the the surrounding area at night.

What specific questions do you have?
That's almost a good thing. I'm not looking for upscale, more like edgy (not to be confused with shady). A place with some spunk.

I know that there's a stereotypical rivalry between St. Louis and Chicago, but I loved Chicago when I visited, but I didn't get accepted to school there. I loved it because no matter what you want, there is always something to do. That's my major concern.

My sister and parents have said that the Central West End is really what I'm looking for, so I guess I've got some questions about that; like where are the best places to hang out, shop, etc. I'm a huge music guy, and I love the blues, which was a draw of Chicago, but there is obviously some blues history in St. Louis, because, well..duh, and that excites me.

I guess I don't really have any specific questions, just the typical 'where are the best places to go out'.

On another note, I was watching Man vs. Food when he was in St. Louis and he went to this place called Pappy's Smokehouse, and it's like a block or 2 from campus. I think I'll be spending a lot of time there .

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
  #4
Dr Turk
Registered User
 
Dr Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
That's almost a good thing. I'm not looking for upscale, more like edgy (not to be confused with shady). A place with some spunk.

I know that there's a stereotypical rivalry between St. Louis and Chicago, but I loved Chicago when I visited, but I didn't get accepted to school there. I loved it because no matter what you want, there is always something to do. That's my major concern.

My sister and parents have said that the Central West End is really what I'm looking for, so I guess I've got some questions about that; like where are the best places to hang out, shop, etc. I'm a huge music guy, and I love the blues, which was a draw of Chicago, but there is obviously some blues history in St. Louis, because, well..duh, and that excites me.

I guess I don't really have any specific questions, just the typical 'where are the best places to go out'.

On another note, I was watching Man vs. Food when he was in St. Louis and he went to this place called Pappy's Smokehouse, and it's like a block or 2 from campus. I think I'll be spending a lot of time there .
Well let me preface me by saying that I am not SLU's biggest fan and out of the schools I have gotten into it is at the bottom of my list so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Most people who I know that go to slu like it but alot of the ones who went there without knowing alot about the school are transferring out. So I would really really encourage you to visit SLU alot and make sure its a good fit.

The area adjacent to SLU isnt a lively area by any means. SLU has a really nice camps but when you step foot outside it its pretty dead. The people I now there either stay on campus or take the metro to the loop for enjoyment. The Delmar loop is what your looking for when it comes to shopping and food and "spunk". There are several really nice restaurants like Fitz's and blueberry hill, and alot of record shops and music clubs. It really is a cool place and theres alot of stuff to do there.

I also really like chicago and I have to say that st. Louis isnt on the same level when it comes to things to do, Chicago is a much larger city and st. louis is really feeling the effects of the recession. Outside of the loop and forest park your gonna have to look deep to find things to do, its not like chicago where you can find things to do without looking.

Though if you say you like blues, cookies and jazz at the bistro are pretty close, the bistro being the closer of the two. There is a large blues history in St.Louis but now imo theres a larger jazz scene.

And I have heard about pappy's but never been there, I might have to check that out

Lemme know if you have any other questions, where else are you looking at for college?

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:39 PM
  #5
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Well let me preface me by saying that I am not SLU's biggest fan and out of the schools I have gotten into it is at the bottom of my list so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Most people who I know that go to slu like it but alot of the ones who went there without knowing alot about the school are transferring out. So I would really really encourage you to visit SLU alot and make sure its a good fit.

The area adjacent to SLU isnt a lively area by any means. SLU has a really nice camps but when you step foot outside it its pretty dead. The people I now there either stay on campus or take the metro to the loop for enjoyment. The Delmar loop is what your looking for when it comes to shopping and food and "spunk". There are several really nice restaurants like Fitz's and blueberry hill, and alot of record shops and music clubs. It really is a cool place and theres alot of stuff to do there.

I also really like chicago and I have to say that st. Louis isnt on the same level when it comes to things to do, Chicago is a much larger city and st. louis is really feeling the effects of the recession. Outside of the loop and forest park your gonna have to look deep to find things to do, its not like chicago where you can find things to do without looking.

Though if you say you like blues, cookies and jazz at the bistro are pretty close, the bistro being the closer of the two. There is a large blues history in St.Louis but now imo theres a larger jazz scene.

And I have heard about pappy's but never been there, I might have to check that out

Lemme know if you have any other questions, where else are you looking at for college?
Well like I said, I'm visiting next weekend, so I'll be able to get a good feel I hope.

The loop has also come up in conversation, as has the Italian restaurant scene..the name slips my mind. But there's a place in Columbus called the Short North that I'm a huge fan of, and set that as the bar. My dad, who has been to St. Louis numerous times, told me without hesitation that the CWE is the place for me. But from what you've said, the loop really fits the description. Maybe there was some confusion in the conversation I had with my parents. I must say I trust your opinion about the area more than my dad's though.

Funny you say that jazz is bigger than blues there. I played bass in a jazz fusion band last year, and we played really weird stuff..lots of noises and effects. They decided to switch to complete, straight, Wes Montgomery type jazz, and I have no idea how to play a walking bassline, so I was kicked out. I love listening to it but I can't play it worth ****. Recently I've pulled out my electric guitar and have been toying with lots of Muddy Waters type stuff, but I'm best at the Thom Yorke kinda music. I also have a music software on my computer where I make beats and stuff with a keyboard..I hope I can make a name for myself but it's likely not going to happen, just because of the odds.

sorry for that little tidbit of my life..I'll get back on topic.


My sister writes for 11 magazine and has said that she wants to take me to a bunch of shows since she can get free tix. She really thinks St. Louis will be a good fit and if she says so, there's gotta be something. That said I'm not gonna go there just because she says so.

My other options are pretty limited, I've gotten into Xavier and Portland State...didn't really apply to a lot of places. There was a backup school about 30 miles north of Chicago, but I crossed it off my list once I got into SLU. I got denied to Loyola Chicago, which was number 1 on my list, and it stunned me because I was sure I would get in. I'm thinking about appealing, but SLU has felt like such a good fit and it has been on my list since I started looking at colleges. I set my bar pretty high, and only seriously considered about 3 schools, 2 of which I got denied, the other was SLU. The school that I was also considering was University of Washington Seattle, but didn't get in.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the option of SLU. It's been on my list since day one, and feels like a good fit, and I'll see this weekend.


Oh btw, the Jackets play the Blues Saturday night, and I'll be going. Should be fun.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
  #6
Dr Turk
Registered User
 
Dr Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Well like I said, I'm visiting next weekend, so I'll be able to get a good feel I hope.

The loop has also come up in conversation, as has the Italian restaurant scene..the name slips my mind. But there's a place in Columbus called the Short North that I'm a huge fan of, and set that as the bar. My dad, who has been to St. Louis numerous times, told me without hesitation that the CWE is the place for me. But from what you've said, the loop really fits the description. Maybe there was some confusion in the conversation I had with my parents. I must say I trust your opinion about the area more than my dad's though.

Funny you say that jazz is bigger than blues there. I played bass in a jazz fusion band last year, and we played really weird stuff..lots of noises and effects. They decided to switch to complete, straight, Wes Montgomery type jazz, and I have no idea how to play a walking bassline, so I was kicked out. I love listening to it but I can't play it worth ****. Recently I've pulled out my electric guitar and have been toying with lots of Muddy Waters type stuff, but I'm best at the Thom Yorke kinda music. I also have a music software on my computer where I make beats and stuff with a keyboard..I hope I can make a name for myself but it's likely not going to happen, just because of the odds.

sorry for that little tidbit of my life..I'll get back on topic.


My sister writes for 11 magazine and has said that she wants to take me to a bunch of shows since she can get free tix. She really thinks St. Louis will be a good fit and if she says so, there's gotta be something. That said I'm not gonna go there just because she says so.

My other options are pretty limited, I've gotten into Xavier and Portland State...didn't really apply to a lot of places. There was a backup school about 30 miles north of Chicago, but I crossed it off my list once I got into SLU. I got denied to Loyola Chicago, which was number 1 on my list, and it stunned me because I was sure I would get in. I'm thinking about appealing, but SLU has felt like such a good fit and it has been on my list since I started looking at colleges. I set my bar pretty high, and only seriously considered about 3 schools, 2 of which I got denied, the other was SLU. The school that I was also considering was University of Washington Seattle, but didn't get in.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the option of SLU. It's been on my list since day one, and feels like a good fit, and I'll see this weekend.


Oh btw, the Jackets play the Blues Saturday night, and I'll be going. Should be fun.
CWE is nice but imo its more of an older crowd than the loop. The loop is more "hip". And the italian district you're taling about is called the hill, its pretty close to slu and has some really nice restaurants and gelato places. I would really recommend Amighetti's, they make some of the best sandwiches I have ever had and fresh bake their bread everyday. Its a shame that the hill closes extremely early, I was just there on thursday and everywhere was closed by 6.

And I played with a jazz band for about 3 years and I think that you will really like the st.louis jazz scene. Jazz at the Bistro has alot of big names go through it all the time. Oh and I actually had a chance to play there once so there is plenty of opportunities for no-names to perform

Its sounds like SLU would be a good fit for you, so hopefully your visit goes well. And hopefully the Bj's visit to scotttrade doesn't go as well

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:12 PM
  #7
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
CWE is nice but imo its more of an older crowd than the loop. The loop is more "hip". And the italian district you're taling about is called the hill, its pretty close to slu and has some really nice restaurants and gelato places. I would really recommend Amighetti's, they make some of the best sandwiches I have ever had and fresh bake their bread everyday. Its a shame that the hill closes extremely early, I was just there on thursday and everywhere was closed by 6.

And I played with a jazz band for about 3 years and I think that you will really like the st.louis jazz scene. Jazz at the Bistro has alot of big names go through it all the time. Oh and I actually had a chance to play there once so there is plenty of opportunities for no-names to perform

Its sounds like SLU would be a good fit for you, so hopefully your visit goes well. And hopefully the Bj's visit to scotttrade doesn't go as well
All of what you've said has been really helpful, thanks a lot. And yeah I really hope it's a good fit. SLU's got one of the top 25 entrepreneurship program in the country, which was another key factor, and also contributes to my comfort level.

Seems like you and I have a lot in common. What are your plans for next year?

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
  #8
camarodude39
Registered User
 
camarodude39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
All of what you've said has been really helpful, thanks a lot. And yeah I really hope it's a good fit. SLU's got one of the top 25 entrepreneurship program in the country, which was another key factor, and also contributes to my comfort level.

Seems like you and I have a lot in common. What are your plans for next year?
I smell a man date coming on

Seriously though, good luck with school. Hope you enjoy your visit(except for the Blues win of course). I would recommend you get familiar with the metrolink while your in town. It is a popular mode of transportation amongst SLU and UMSL students, and will take you most everywhere you would want to go in the area, unless your lucky enough to get a car for college.

camarodude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
  #9
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude39 View Post
I smell a man date coming on

Seriously though, good luck with school. Hope you enjoy your visit(except for the Blues win of course). I would recommend you get familiar with the metrolink while your in town. It is a popular mode of transportation amongst SLU and UMSL students, and will take you most everywhere you would want to go in the area, unless your lucky enough to get a car for college.
Yeah I definitely felt like a creep writing that last part .

Thanks, and yeah, I certainly will get familiar with it, but my sister will have her car if I ever need it. Plus I think freshmen are allowed cars, and I already have one...but I'm not sure if my parents would want me taking it.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
  #10
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
If you're intersted in furthering your Jazz knowledge there is a damn good source that you can get in touch with in St.Louis check into attending one of these campshttp://http://www.jimwidnerbigband.com/jazzcamps.htm You get exposure and a whole lot of hands on experience with some real jazz pro's and all of them are 100% intersted in furthering education.

Jim has been there and done that and I met a whole bunch of pro's and got a chance to go overseas and play for two weeks thanks to him.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 11:19 PM
  #11
Dr Turk
Registered User
 
Dr Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude39 View Post
I smell a man date coming on
who doesnt love a good man date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
All of what you've said has been really helpful, thanks a lot. And yeah I really hope it's a good fit. SLU's got one of the top 25 entrepreneurship program in the country, which was another key factor, and also contributes to my comfort level.

Seems like you and I have a lot in common. What are your plans for next year?
No Problem, I still have no clue what I'm doing next year. I went the complete opposite direction as you and applied to over ten schools. Right now my top choices are Minnesota, Michigan, Case, penn state, UBC and toronto. Im leaning toward ubc but still have to visit a couple others, Im gonna do premed major in biochem, or kinesiology or maybe even history....I dunno,Im not good at making big decisions.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 12:45 AM
  #12
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Well like I said, I'm visiting next weekend, so I'll be able to get a good feel I hope.

...


My other options are pretty limited, I've gotten into Xavier and Portland State...didn't really apply to a lot of places. There was a backup school about 30 miles north of Chicago, but I crossed it off my list once I got into SLU. I got denied to Loyola Chicago, which was number 1 on my list, and it stunned me because I was sure I would get in. I'm thinking about appealing, but SLU has felt like such a good fit and it has been on my list since I started looking at colleges. I set my bar pretty high, and only seriously considered about 3 schools, 2 of which I got denied, the other was SLU. The school that I was also considering was University of Washington Seattle, but didn't get in.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the option of SLU. It's been on my list since day one, and feels like a good fit, and I'll see this weekend.


Oh btw, the Jackets play the Blues Saturday night, and I'll be going. Should be fun.
Are you referring to Lake Forest College?

SLU and Loyola Chicago are both strong Jesuit schools. If you can appeal, you should. It's a nice place.

Around SLU, however, I remember about 15-20 years ago some people who lived along Locust, east of Grand. They tried to build an arts community, but it just didn't quite work out. The area has lots of potential to thrive.

If you head straight south on Grand you wind up in the Tower Grove area. That's where I lived as a little kid. It's got some nice shops and bars and all that, but it's known for its large southeast Asian community. If you're into Vietnamese food, then you'll love south Grand and the Tower Grove area.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
  #13
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
who doesnt love a good man date



No Problem, I still have no clue what I'm doing next year. I went the complete opposite direction as you and applied to over ten schools. Right now my top choices are Minnesota, Michigan, Case, penn state, UBC and toronto. Im leaning toward ubc but still have to visit a couple others, Im gonna do premed major in biochem, or kinesiology or maybe even history....I dunno,Im not good at making big decisions.
Thats awesome. I think I would go nuts though if I majored in any of the things you mentioned, way out of my league. But good luck in whatever you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Are you referring to Lake Forest College?

SLU and Loyola Chicago are both strong Jesuit schools. If you can appeal, you should. It's a nice place.

Around SLU, however, I remember about 15-20 years ago some people who lived along Locust, east of Grand. They tried to build an arts community, but it just didn't quite work out. The area has lots of potential to thrive.

If you head straight south on Grand you wind up in the Tower Grove area. That's where I lived as a little kid. It's got some nice shops and bars and all that, but it's known for its large southeast Asian community. If you're into Vietnamese food, then you'll love south Grand and the Tower Grove area.
No it was North central college in Naperville. Was a little too small for my taste, I think SLU and Loyola were the perfect size.

I'm definitely still considering appealing to Loyola. It's right in the city and I like it a lot. Like I said it was my first choice for a while. But my dad and I talked a lot and decided that it might not be the best place to be an undergrad. So going to school in chicago could still be a future option as a grad student. We both agreed that that would be a great time in my life to be in a city like Chicago.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and support.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:56 AM
  #14
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Thats awesome. I think I would go nuts though if I majored in any of the things you mentioned, way out of my league. But good luck in whatever you do.



No it was North central college in Naperville. Was a little too small for my taste, I think SLU and Loyola were the perfect size.

I'm definitely still considering appealing to Loyola. It's right in the city and I like it a lot. Like I said it was my first choice for a while. But my dad and I talked a lot and decided that it might not be the best place to be an undergrad. So going to school in chicago could still be a future option as a grad student. We both agreed that that would be a great time in my life to be in a city like Chicago.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and support.
Where you just looking at going to school in Chicago or did you have Loyola in particular in mind? It's probably already too late for applications but DePaul, U of Chicago (good luck getting in), Northwestern, and Univ of IL-Chicago are also good options. Robert Morris might also be worth looking into and Columbia College is a great liberal arts school...it all depends on what you're looking for. What are you planning to major in? I went to Univ of IL (main campus in Champaign) but spend a ton of my weekends in Chicago while I was in college and the two years after college and have plenty of friends that went to those Chicago schools so I know the city pretty well. Very fun, great pizza, fatal flaw of having the Hawks and Cubs though.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
  #15
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
...

No it was North central college in Naperville. Was a little too small for my taste, I think SLU and Loyola were the perfect size.

I'm definitely still considering appealing to Loyola. It's right in the city and I like it a lot. Like I said it was my first choice for a while. But my dad and I talked a lot and decided that it might not be the best place to be an undergrad. So going to school in chicago could still be a future option as a grad student. We both agreed that that would be a great time in my life to be in a city like Chicago.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and support.
FYI....Naperville is west and a little south of Chicago, not north. I live right by Loyola. Great neighborhood...very mixed in every way. But I gotta say that those undergrads do a lot of partying. It's cool though, because every quarter (they're on the quarter system) the neighborhood gets an influx of brand new people. And although I am happily married, looking at the hot young freshmen is kinda fun.

Is the whole partying thing making you select SLU over Loyola? If so, then I don't blame you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Where you just looking at going to school in Chicago or did you have Loyola in particular in mind? It's probably already too late for applications but DePaul, U of Chicago (good luck getting in), Northwestern, and Univ of IL-Chicago are also good options. Robert Morris might also be worth looking into and Columbia College is a great liberal arts school...it all depends on what you're looking for. What are you planning to major in? I went to Univ of IL (main campus in Champaign) but spend a ton of my weekends in Chicago while I was in college and the two years after college and have plenty of friends that went to those Chicago schools so I know the city pretty well. Very fun, great pizza, fatal flaw of having the Hawks and Cubs though.
U of Chicago and Northwestern are in "a league of their own". Next we'd consider DePaul to be the best, but it is much, much smaller than the two already mentioned and is clearly a Catholic institution just like Loyola Chicago and SLU (Jesuit Catholic), unlike UC and Northwestern.

I got my undergrad from U of Illinois at Chicago. Great school! It's a big, state school in a gigantic city, so it gets tons and tons of money flowing through it. UIC is a major research institution. The problem is that it is large and somewhat impersonal with lots of political unrest in the surrounding neighborhoods. Which is great, but UIC spends lots of money trying to gentrify the area and drive the poorer people out.

It is just soooooo completely different from Loyola Chicago and SLU.

Otherwise, Chicago does have some great schools, the pizza rox and yes, the Flubs and Crackhawks are a freaking joke. They're both decent now, but it was sooo fun watching both teams start their respective seasons at 0-10 (or something bad) over and over.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
  #16
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Where you just looking at going to school in Chicago or did you have Loyola in particular in mind? It's probably already too late for applications but DePaul, U of Chicago (good luck getting in), Northwestern, and Univ of IL-Chicago are also good options. Robert Morris might also be worth looking into and Columbia College is a great liberal arts school...it all depends on what you're looking for. What are you planning to major in? I went to Univ of IL (main campus in Champaign) but spend a ton of my weekends in Chicago while I was in college and the two years after college and have plenty of friends that went to those Chicago schools so I know the city pretty well. Very fun, great pizza, fatal flaw of having the Hawks and Cubs though.
Depaul was also on my list, but by the time I realized I was interested, the deadline had passed. Yeah, I screwed around during Christmas break when everyone was finishing their apps. I had SLU and Loyola done by then, but I hadn't thought of other options. I was actually really really mad at myself for not applying to DePaul for a period of time. Seemed like a good fit. It's in the heart of Lincoln Park IIRC, which is one of my favorite spots in Chicago. And trust me, I've looked high and low for schools in Chicago that suited me. UC and Northwestern are way too good for me, and Robert Morris would be an embarrassment on a resume. There wasn't much else.

But anyway, I plan to major in some sort of business; management or marketing. SLU has a top notch entrepreneurship program and that's been a big draw for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
FYI....Naperville is west and a little south of Chicago, not north. I live right by Loyola. Great neighborhood...very mixed in every way. But I gotta say that those undergrads do a lot of partying. It's cool though, because every quarter (they're on the quarter system) the neighborhood gets an influx of brand new people. And although I am happily married, looking at the hot young freshmen is kinda fun.

Is the whole partying thing making you select SLU over Loyola? If so, then I don't blame you.




U of Chicago and Northwestern are in "a league of their own". Next we'd consider DePaul to be the best, but it is much, much smaller than the two already mentioned and is clearly a Catholic institution just like Loyola Chicago and SLU (Jesuit Catholic), unlike UC and Northwestern.

I got my undergrad from U of Illinois at Chicago. Great school! It's a big, state school in a gigantic city, so it gets tons and tons of money flowing through it. UIC is a major research institution. The problem is that it is large and somewhat impersonal with lots of political unrest in the surrounding neighborhoods. Which is great, but UIC spends lots of money trying to gentrify the area and drive the poorer people out.

It is just soooooo completely different from Loyola Chicago and SLU.

Otherwise, Chicago does have some great schools, the pizza rox and yes, the Flubs and Crackhawks are a freaking joke. They're both decent now, but it was sooo fun watching both teams start their respective seasons at 0-10 (or something bad) over and over.
Is it? For some reason I thought it was north. My mistake then.

I never actually visited Loyola, but I have been to Chicago a couple times throughout my life and have just loved it. I've looked up Loyola on a map and it looks like it is in a great part of the city. And like you said, Chicago is just so mixed, but everyone is so accepting...just a huge melting pot. I love it and hope I can go somewhere in the area for grad school.

The partying wasn't a major factor until I got accepted into SLU and denied to Loyola. It was really my way of rationalizing the situation because I was absolutely crushed when I didn't get in to Loyola. I got the denial letter from them before I got the acceptance letter from SLU, so I was sooo panicked because SLU looks to be a better school academically, so I thought I had no chance once I didn't get in to Loyola. But the partying turns out to be a good reason, and to quote my dad, "It would be the BOMB to go to school in Chicago as a grad student." So I think I can wait 4 more years to get into some big trouble .


Again, thanks to everyone.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 05:05 PM
  #17
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Depaul was also on my list, but by the time I realized I was interested, the deadline had passed. Yeah, I screwed around during Christmas break when everyone was finishing their apps. I had SLU and Loyola done by then, but I hadn't thought of other options. I was actually really really mad at myself for not applying to DePaul for a period of time. Seemed like a good fit. It's in the heart of Lincoln Park IIRC, which is one of my favorite spots in Chicago. And trust me, I've looked high and low for schools in Chicago that suited me. UC and Northwestern are way too good for me, and Robert Morris would be an embarrassment on a resume. There wasn't much else.

But anyway, I plan to major in some sort of business; management or marketing. SLU has a top notch entrepreneurship program and that's been a big draw for me.



Is it? For some reason I thought it was north. My mistake then.

I never actually visited Loyola, but I have been to Chicago a couple times throughout my life and have just loved it. I've looked up Loyola on a map and it looks like it is in a great part of the city. And like you said, Chicago is just so mixed, but everyone is so accepting...just a huge melting pot. I love it and hope I can go somewhere in the area for grad school.

The partying wasn't a major factor until I got accepted into SLU and denied to Loyola. It was really my way of rationalizing the situation because I was absolutely crushed when I didn't get in to Loyola. I got the denial letter from them before I got the acceptance letter from SLU, so I was sooo panicked because SLU looks to be a better school academically, so I thought I had no chance once I didn't get in to Loyola. But the partying turns out to be a good reason, and to quote my dad, "It would be the BOMB to go to school in Chicago as a grad student." So I think I can wait 4 more years to get into some big trouble .


Again, thanks to everyone.
An embarrassment? Are you one of those school snobs? No doubt it makes a difference on a resume, but only because other school snobs agree with you. Elitist culture only goes so far brother. I know so many boneheads who've graduated from Big Ten schools or one of the so-called "elite" universities in the Chicago area and they are freaking stupid. Dumb bimbos and frat-boy beer-bong dorks who don't know jack. Really, what it boils down to is not what school is on your resume, but what did you learn. This insular, elitist snob culture is exhausting.

Chicago is a melting pot, but the neighborhood in which Loyola's located is called Rogers Park and is the most diverse neighborhood in all of Chicago; racially, economically, socially, culturally. It is a mix of classes. But the best part is that Lake Michigan is right here. Loyola's campus runs along the edge of Lake Michigan.

Loyola may be a good place for a grad student as you'll be a bit older and wiser and may have gotten some of your "I'm-21-now-and-I'm-gonna-get-****ed-up" partying days out of the way.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 06:10 PM
  #18
Saad Panda
Registered User
 
Saad Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: C-BUS
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
An embarrassment? Are you one of those school snobs? No doubt it makes a difference on a resume, but only because other school snobs agree with you. Elitist culture only goes so far brother. I know so many boneheads who've graduated from Big Ten schools or one of the so-called "elite" universities in the Chicago area and they are freaking stupid. Dumb bimbos and frat-boy beer-bong dorks who don't know jack. Really, what it boils down to is not what school is on your resume, but what did you learn. This insular, elitist snob culture is exhausting.

Chicago is a melting pot, but the neighborhood in which Loyola's located is called Rogers Park and is the most diverse neighborhood in all of Chicago; racially, economically, socially, culturally. It is a mix of classes. But the best part is that Lake Michigan is right here. Loyola's campus runs along the edge of Lake Michigan.

Loyola may be a good place for a grad student as you'll be a bit older and wiser and may have gotten some of your "I'm-21-now-and-I'm-gonna-get-****ed-up" partying days out of the way.
Not exactly sure what you mean by "school snobs" but I don't just go by the name of the school, if that's what you mean. I've done months of research which I regrettably should have been doing at about this time last year, and Robert Morris is not my type of school by any means. From all of what I've researched it's not a very good school (or even a marginally good school) academically, and imo would not have nearly the amount of connections that SLU or Loyola would have in my intended field. It honestly struck me as a place where above average athletes with way below average grades go. I may be wrong, but that was the impression I got.

I hear ya on the elitist thing. When you're in Columbus like me, all you hear is Buckeyes, Ohio State, and football. It disgusts me. If I was an elitist, I would have applied to Ohio State just because everyone else does (literally everyone). I'm the only person I know that didn't apply there, and it's because I hate it. Don't get me wrong I'm a buckeye fan, but I hate the school and the hype and everything. And if I was an elitist, I would have applied to other schools in Ohio just to get the approval of my peers. The only school I applied to in Ohio was Xavier because my dad made me. And hell, the scholarship I got from there is double what I got from SLU, but there is about a 1% chance of me going there, because I hate the place. And check this out: just about everyone has said to me "St. Louis...where's that?" So obviously I'm not some elitist d-bag who just wants to go to a school where all of his friends are, or somewhere everyone has heard of.

I know that no matter where I go I think I'll still end up successful, because I'm a ****ing bright kid, but it doesn't show because I didn't apply myself in the subjects I hated, which came back to bite me in the ass. But the subjects I like, and the things I'm interested in...I'm passionate about them, and I do well at them. And once I'm in the real world, those will be the things that truly matter, and I will excel.


Last edited by Saad Panda: 03-23-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
  #19
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean by "school snobs" but I don't just go by the name of the school, if that's what you mean. I've done months of research which I regrettably should have been doing at about this time last year, and Robert Morris is not my type of school by any means. From all of what I've researched it's not a very good school (or even a marginally good school) academically, and imo would not have nearly the amount of connections that SLU or Loyola would have in my intended field. It honestly struck me as a place where above average athletes with way below average grades go. I may be wrong, but that was the impression I got.

I hear ya on the elitist thing. When you're in Columbus like me, all you hear is Buckeyes, Ohio State, and football. It disgusts me. If I was an elitist, I would have applied to Ohio State just because everyone else does (literally everyone). I'm the only person I know that didn't apply there, and it's because I hate it. Don't get me wrong I'm a buckeye fan, but I hate the school and the hype and everything. And if I was an elitist, I would have applied to other schools in Ohio just to get the approval of my peers. The only school I applied to in Ohio was Xavier because my dad made me. And hell, the scholarship I got from there is double what I got from SLU, but there is about a 1% chance of me going there, because I hate the place. And check this out: just about everyone has said to me "St. Louis...where's that?" So obviously I'm not some elitist d-bag who just wants to go to a school where all of his friends are, or somewhere everyone has heard of.

I know that no matter where I go I think I'll still end up successful, because I'm a ****ing bright kid, but it doesn't show because I didn't apply myself in the subjects I hated, which came back to bite me in the ass. But the subjects I like, and the things I'm interested in...I'm passionate about them, and I do well at them. And once I'm in the real world, those will be the things that truly matter, and I will excel.
Good response! Please know that I my commentary was about elitism in general (and not you specifically) and this perception that one school is better than another based on bogus criteria. Whether Robert Morris is any good is debatable, but I was just using you and your comments to make a global point.

You seem like a "bright kid" with enough gumption to ask for advice.

Good luck at SLU!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:49 PM
  #20
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
ChicagoBlues, you seem to know the Rogers Park area well. Have you ever been to Gulliver's there on Howard? Awesome pizza joint.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
  #21
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
ChicagoBlues, you seem to know the Rogers Park area well. Have you ever been to Gulliver's there on Howard? Awesome pizza joint.
I've lived in many different neighborhoods in Chicago like Wicker Park, Humboldt Park, Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, East Village, and of course Lakeview and Wrigleyville. When I was really, really little, before we moved back to the St. Louis South City areas, we lived on the South Side of Chicago.

But the absolute best Chicago neighborhood (in my not so humble opinion) is definitely Rogers Park. And Gullivers is one of the best pizza joints in all of Chicagoland.

In fact, just south of Gullivers is an area that is considered sacred land by the Pottawatamie (sp?) Tribe, which may be a reason why Rogers Park is so unique and conducive to accepting all cultures and classes. It's a truly amazing place.

But, then again, you might think all of that Native American mojo is just hogwash.

You used to live in Chicago for a bit, right? Or was it that you visited a lot from Urbana or something like that? I was in Dubuque, Iowa a couple years ago and thought it was just a lovely, lovely town. And the riverfront is really neat, but the coolest part is how steep the hills are right off the river and the cable cars are pretty cool.

GO BILLIKENS!!!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
  #22
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
You used to live in Chicago for a bit, right? Or was it that you visited a lot from Urbana or something like that? I was in Dubuque, Iowa a couple years ago and thought it was just a lovely, lovely town. And the riverfront is really neat, but the coolest part is how steep the hills are right off the river and the cable cars are pretty cool.
Never actually lived in Chicago. I almost took a job out of school that would've been right next to the Ikea out in Schaumberg but ended up taking a different job in Rockford instead. Rockford's only endearing quality was that it was an hour-hour and a half away from Chicago so that's where I spent most of my weekends. Plenty of my college buddies lived in Lakeview or Lincoln Park so that's where I normally was. One used to live 2 blocks south of Wrigley but now lives in...you guessed, Rogers Park. Most of them are Cubs fans (at the time, not a single one of them considered themselves to be Hawks fans, not even the one that played HS hockey there...Dollar Bill Wirtz really screwed that town over) but hey, nobody's perfect I suppose. Besides, I quite enjoy reminding them that the Blackhawks have won just as many World Series' as the Cubs in the past 100 years.

I've never been to Debuque. It seems I go to STL, Chicago, KC, or the Twin Cities but nowhere in-between!

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.