HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier traded to Montreal after the end of the season ?

Old
04-02-2009, 02:17 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I guess that's your opinion, but I don't consider Vinny on the same level as Sakic or Yzerman.
Yes, today, 7.7M Cap Hit is reasonable for Vinny, as long as he puts up Pts worthy of that hit. 67pts isn't a big enough total that would justify that cap hit and salary.
If you think a 7.7M cap hit won't be much for a 39yo in 10 years then you're dreaming. His salary is completely irrelevant seeing as his cap hit is what matters most.
Also, the cap is supposed to drop in 2years, what will happen after that is unpredictable at this point, so your guarantee is as solid as a fart.

The good thing though, is that he again has to go through a surgery. We won't know how it'll affect his game until next season. This should lower his value.

Personally, if I look back at the return for Hossa, I wouldn't want to trade for Kova unless the market significantly dropped.
I'd want us to sign him next summer during UFA.
I can see alot of good coming out of his surgery.

1. Its now a gamble which means the Price is lower significantly. He just came off Shoulder surgery, took the year to recover hence his below average points and he is now going for another surgery.
2. He is not playing the rest of the season, and he might be ready for Training camp Depending on the length of recovery.
3. I think we can assume his under-production are a result of injuries, tied with the unsettling deception that he has to deal with. All that tied in with the big trade rumor to montreal. I think its safe to say this has been a tough year for Vinny.
4. His girlfriend still wants to go back to Montreal, and he loves it here or so he says.
5. This is the perfect time to get him, his value is low for 2 reasons. 1, He is having a really crappy year in terms of points, and 2, he has gone through 2 surgeries in 1 year, so this would bring the price down because the risk of him getting hurt again or more easily is higher then when he was drafted.
6. The Cap is going to drop, and we are loosing half our team literally to UFAs, we have to pick and choose, and Montreal would be willing to part with minimal losses to get Vinny. Tampa Bay is forced into a corner with Marty and Vinny, so they have to probably part with both and draft High as Stamkos becomes their new franchise player.

I think that this is the best case situation in terms of being in a position to trade for Vinny, the fact that he has a NTC after June makes this trade even more possible because TB is once again backed into a corner with a superstar, a ridiculous contract, and being on the verge of screwing themselves over for years to come with said contract.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
That's speculation at its best.

Contract bonuses, the will to play, not much pain, ticket selling..
Huge speculation. Also who says Gainey offered that at the deadline or whenever?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I can see alot of good coming out of his surgery.

1. Its now a gamble which means the Price is lower significantly. He just came off Shoulder surgery, took the year to recover hence his below average points and he is now going for another surgery.
2. He is not playing the rest of the season, and he might be ready for Training camp Depending on the length of recovery.
3. I think we can assume his under-production are a result of injuries, tied with the unsettling deception that he has to deal with. All that tied in with the big trade rumor to montreal. I think its safe to say this has been a tough year for Vinny.
4. His girlfriend still wants to go back to Montreal, and he loves it here or so he says.
5. This is the perfect time to get him, his value is low for 2 reasons. 1, He is having a really crappy year in terms of points, and 2, he has gone through 2 surgeries in 1 year, so this would bring the price down because the risk of him getting hurt again or more easily is higher then when he was drafted.
6. The Cap is going to drop, and we are loosing half our team literally to UFAs, we have to pick and choose, and Montreal would be willing to part with minimal losses to get Vinny. Tampa Bay is forced into a corner with Marty and Vinny, so they have to probably part with both and draft High as Stamkos becomes their new franchise player.

I think that this is the best case situation in terms of being in a position to trade for Vinny, the fact that he has a NTC after June makes this trade even more possible because TB is once again backed into a corner with a superstar, a ridiculous contract, and being on the verge of screwing themselves over for years to come with said contract.
Like I said, the value of LeCavalier is not high as some think it is. Money cap is now a so large factor that you will see guys like LeCavalier or Brière being traded not for much. Still, I expect LeCavalier to be traded for a 1st round pick and two young NHL players, but I don't expect more than that.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I dunno how new this is, but rds ticker said that lecav is getting season ending arthroscopic surgey. Guess he was still playing injured and that shoulder never healed... gets me thinking about komisarek.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If you think a 7.7M cap hit won't be much for a 39yo in 10 years then you're dreaming. His salary is completely irrelevant seeing as his cap hit is what matters most.
How much were players making 10 years ago? How would that contract look for a 39 year old today?

His salary is relevant for the simple reason that teams may have cap space to trade in 9-10 years and pay him less in actual cash.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
SooperSingh

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I dunno how new this is, but rds ticker said that lecav is getting season ending arthroscopic surgey. Guess he was still playing injured and that shoulder never healed... gets me thinking about komisarek.
I believe you're talking about the wrist surgery.

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 02:05 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
How much were players making 10 years ago? How would that contract look for a 39 year old today?

His salary is relevant for the simple reason that teams may have cap space to trade in 9-10 years and pay him less in actual cash.
I actually found a great site that you'll find will come in handy to you.

It pretty much has the salary history of every NHL player.

A player like Gretzky was making 6M in 98-99.
Jarg, 4.8M in 98-99 and 10.3 in 99-00.
Forsberg 6M-9M.
Roy 5.1M-7.5M.
Bure 8M in 99-00.
Lindros 8.5M in 98-99.

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/menu_e.htm
Your welcome for the site.

Considering Lecavalier will be the highest paid player next season (2009-2010) at 10M, it looks like the salaries haven't changed a whole lot.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Forget Lecav: sign Komi and Higgins and trade them along with Price to the Isles for the first pick in Montreal, John Tavares. Given how Dipietro's futur is uncertain, they would be attracted to a young futur top goalie.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Forget Lecav: sign Komi and Higgins and trade them along with Price to the Isles for the first pick in Montreal, John Tavares. Given how Dipietro's futur is uncertain, they would be attracted to a young futur top goalie.
They would never make that deal and what would they the do with that horrible 15 year contract to Dipietro?

Islanders are drafting Tavares if they get the 1st overall

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Where did you hear this? Or is it just something you proposed before the deadline?
Yup that's the one. I didn't remember the exact details when I posted it a few days ago, but yes.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If that was the package offered I'm sure Tampa would have excepted the deal knowing that Vinny is hurt don't you agree?I mean now yes the more news that's coming out about his injuries the less Tampa is going to get for him or I would guess the only thing they want is to get rid of his contract.

If he's been playing with a screwed up wrist for now 3 years,wow how good will he be once it's 100%,deadly
Think about it this way. If Tampa dealt Vinny at the deadline, their fan base would have been up in arms. With the emergence of Stamkos and the possible drafting of Tavares, dealing Vinny would have less of an impact on ticket sales for next season if it was done at the draft.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Magic33

Get that surgery done now so you can be ready to pass your physical once you get traded here Vinnie!

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Think about it this way. If Tampa dealt Vinny at the deadline, their fan base would have been up in arms. With the emergence of Stamkos and the possible drafting of Tavares, dealing Vinny would have less of an impact on ticket sales for next season if it was done at the draft.
I know,also they are saying to season ticket holders buy now for next year and pay the price of this year.Ince they sell,no refunds and they don't care

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I know,also they are saying to season ticket holders buy now for next year and pay the price of this year.Ince they sell,no refunds and they don't care
Regardless of the individuals names on their back, most sell more tickets when the team is winning. If Tampa can trade Vinny for a package that gives them a winning team in less time, then in the short term it might hurt ownership pocketbooks, but once they start the winning they will be better off for it.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would kill to get the 1st pick overall. Wouldn't trade Price though... doesn't make sense.

We do have a ton of prospects and picks we could give up though... McDonnaugh, Subban, Paciorretti, O'Byrne... Sadly, we'd probably have to give up all of them along with Higgins.

For a premier scorer though who we could develop it would actually be worth it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote