HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

* Official Home Theater Discussion (TV's, Receivers, DVD, Speakers) *

Old
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Henrik Maneuver

vCash: 500
As far as the energy issue goes, I don't know how the math works out but you might want to see if the $ energy savings of LCD would be cancelled out or diminished by the greater cost of the TV.

Henrik Maneuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
The problem is not just their cost, but also their shelf life - no more than 3k-5k hours before it starts to go bad. No doubt they'll eventually find a way to improve it, but that's 5-10 years away.
If you go here it shows they have already found ways to improve their lifespan. And that article is a year old already. I think they'll become a popular high-end option for enthusiasts quicker that you think.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
*Injektilo

Fair enough, but I still think it will take up to 10 years before the OLED reaches mass market.

I remember hearing about blu-ray DVDs as far back as the turn of the century, and they haven't become mass market until the past year. Consider that a lot of people are now buying LCDs or plasmas (and with the economy the way it is, those who haven't bought one yet will delay their purchases another couple of years). People don't like to replace their TVs that quickly, so I think up to 10 years until it reaches mass market still sounds right.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
theotis77

Quote:
People don't like to replace their TVs that quickly, so I think up to 10 years until it reaches mass market still sounds right.
I think that's changing, though, and pretty rapidly. Traditionally, the TV was treated more like a piece of furniture, and I think a lot people who grew up in that era are reluctant to replace a TV. I mean, you don't replace your couch every 2 or 3 years. Most of us probably grew up with only a couple of TVs in our lives. I think my parents had exactly two different TVs through 19 years, one of which they had for at least 5 or 6 years before I was born. However, they've already gone through two more in the last 10 years.

That view of the TV is fading, people are more and more instead treating it like a piece of technology, and technology has very quickly become a commodity over the past decade. We go through cell phones now every year or two, computers every 3 or 4 years at most. The TV is starting to be viewed as an extension of that.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
Wow just missed each other by a minute :-).

That is true and something you have to consider if on a budget

Only an issue when moving it. Either way any flat panel is so easy to move the weight is rarely an issue. Moving them is like carrying a heavy **** of plywood.

10" smaller, and you'll never see the 1080p till you buy and use a Blu-Ray player. Yes a deal for those who use 1080p, but for you, you gain nothing. In fact you lose size and probably picture quality compared to the TV I posted.

No HD is broadcast in 1080p. 1080p is only utilized when playing a Blu-Ray or console game that supports that screen format.

They are all going to display nearly the same picture unless you've buy and use a Blu-Ray player or console that can push that resolution. The 1080p TV will simply reformat all your broadcast in 720p or 1080i. If your planning or even thinking of every buying a Blu-Ray player then you'd be in your "DAMMIT" situation. Since the BR player won't even produce a picture on a 720p TV.

That could make a difference. Imagine mounting a sliding glass door sideways in your living room. The reflections off a plasma are nearly that. Sometimes they are so clear and vivid in the day time they are hard to ignore. At night no problem, even brightly lit rooms do fine. It's only the intensity of the natural light.

It's actually the opposite of what most people perceive. You need to be closer to your TV to discern the difference between 720p and 1080p. As you draw away from the TV the less noticeable is the higher definition. But as you get closer the more you take advantage of the higher resolution. The human eye simply can't take in that much detail, at further distances.

Here's a chart that's posted here a lot. I've draw lines at 42" and 50" for easier reference since those are the 2 most popular dimensions.

I'm a plasma advocate but only when the situation warrants it. And yours is custom fit for this technology at 720p.

Not to mention if you love watching NHL HD broadcasts, there's no problem with plasmas. It's only (some of) the LCD's of 60mghz that have that problem. Although plasmas also operate at 60mghz the technology used to produce the picture doesn't suffer from the "lag" that some describe while watching fast paced sporting events on HD broadcasts.
Well, you make convincing points. I was planning on getting blackout curtains in the front windows for privacy anyways, so the light shouldn't be an issue. Plus, the window faces east, so unless I'm watching pretty early, I suppose that isnt an issue.

And you are right about only needing to worry about size/weight when setting up the tv and moving (which wont be for at least 2 years).

I'll see if I can find anything more about how much plasma tv's drive up the electric bill. Hopefully nothing too crazy. Could be an issue

I assume it is safe to not jump on this specific tv? I mean, I don't have access to move anything into the townhouse until May 8th.....I assume there will be more tv's closer to them I can wait and order so I don't have to worry about the box sitting in my dorm room until then?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Kestrel

Technology deals come and go... if you don't get impatient and decide you have to make a purchase within a week, there will be other equivalent deals.

So, it sounds like one of the big questions you should ask yourself is - are you going to get Blu-Ray in the future? If not, 720p could be perfect for you. If so - are you okay with getting another tv to run it, or do you need to get your 1080p now to not have a dammit situation?

From there, I think you've got plenty of information to work with, and if you can be patient, should be able to come across good deals. Try looking for websites that track prices. For example, up here in Canada, I use www.redflagdeals.com and www.shopbot.ca. I saved a few hundred bucks putting together my computer that way, you could likely save yourself a decent chunk doing the same. If you're down in the US, I'm not sure what the equivalent sites would be, but there will be some.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:22 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
I think that's changing, though, and pretty rapidly. Traditionally, the TV was treated more like a piece of furniture, and I think a lot people who grew up in that era are reluctant to replace a TV. I mean, you don't replace your couch every 2 or 3 years. Most of us probably grew up with only a couple of TVs in our lives. I think my parents had exactly two different TVs through 19 years, one of which they had for at least 5 or 6 years before I was born. However, they've already gone through two more in the last 10 years.

That view of the TV is fading, people are more and more instead treating it like a piece of technology, and technology has very quickly become a commodity over the past decade. We go through cell phones now every year or two, computers every 3 or 4 years at most. The TV is starting to be viewed as an extension of that.
TVs remain expensive - as expensive as a couch in fact. People can't afford to plunk down one to two grand on a TV every couple of years. At least cell phones can be changed often because people are lured into contracts where they pay next to nothing for the phone itself. And it depends on what you mean on computers - if you mean a PC desktop, sure, since it doesn't cost a whole lot to change a video card or a hard drive. But people don't replace a brand new laptop every few years.

I know one thing for sure, I'm not replacing my TV until it completely craps out on me, and I hope that's way down the line.

Old
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Technology deals come and go... if you don't get impatient and decide you have to make a purchase within a week, there will be other equivalent deals.

So, it sounds like one of the big questions you should ask yourself is - are you going to get Blu-Ray in the future? If not, 720p could be perfect for you. If so - are you okay with getting another tv to run it, or do you need to get your 1080p now to not have a dammit situation?

From there, I think you've got plenty of information to work with, and if you can be patient, should be able to come across good deals. Try looking for websites that track prices. For example, up here in Canada, I use www.redflagdeals.com and www.shopbot.ca. I saved a few hundred bucks putting together my computer that way, you could likely save yourself a decent chunk doing the same. If you're down in the US, I'm not sure what the equivalent sites would be, but there will be some.
Thanks. I do live in the US though. Hopefully somebody down here has some site tracker websites to check out.

I'm with the other poster who said when he bought his current tv, he wants it to last until it dies.

I feel the same way. But, I really don't think I need Blu-ray. Will I want it? Sure I will. However, when for the price of a PS3 (which I keep hearing is the best blu-ray to get), I can by a Roku and 2 years of Netflix to stream straight to my tv, it seems foolish to go the blu-ray way. Streaming movies seems more the future to me than 1080p. Especially with the limitations for tv switching over and all. I've never been a gamer and since I'm in my twenties, doubt I will change now. Which leaves 1080p being only useful for movies. I do watch LOTS of movies (probably 4 or 5 a week honestly), but I wouldn't be buying all those on blu-ray since it is so pricey.

So, I think, honestly....720p and a decent sized screen is all I need. I just have to figure out if 50" is too obnoxiously big though, haha. Seems pretty damn massive. But, beyond that, I think my upscaling DVD player and DVD's that continually get cheaper (thanks to blu-ray), I'll be happy enough with 720p :-)

Old
04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
*Injektilo

If you get a blu-ray player, its capacity will get wasted on a 720p TV, so I agree with you to stick with an upconverting DVD player.

If you did, however, I wouldn't rush to get PS3 - one problem with them (so I've read on other forums) is that PS3s are not that good at upconverting regular DVDs. Usually people recommend buying a PS3, because hey it's not just a blu-ray player, but it doubles as a gaming system. While that's a valid point, it gets lost on me because I restrict my video gaming to my PC. I have a Sony BDP-S350 blu-ray player, which does a better job upconverting DVDs, and I have to say it works magnificently well. Even my old DVDs of the BBC version of The Office look stunning.

I also wouldn't get a TV that's too big with that kind of resolution - something in the 30-40 inch category would be more appropriate. On a 50 inch TV, the lower quality picture becomes more obvious. Besides, it will be cheaper.

Last edited by *Injektilo: 04-07-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old
04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
theotis77

Quote:
If you did, however, I wouldn't rush to get PS3 - one problem with them (so I've read on other forums) is that PS3s are not that good at upconverting regular DVDs.
This is totally untrue. The PS3 is an outstanding upconverting DVD player. I've had several, and it's easily the best I've owned.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
invictus

Went to a Walmart and a Bestbuy today, just to see tv sizes in person.

50" is just a beast, lol. Way more than I need. It is so easy to start at a 40" and go "well, this 42" is better, and then, wow, look at this 46!". Haha.

I decided a 40" or 42" will work for me. Cut the budget down to $900.

So, now that I know the size, it is on to picking one.

All I read is that Panasonic is the only way to go with plasma's. I did find a 42" Sanyo 720p plasma at Walmart for $698. Pretty good price. Is Panasonic really all I want to give a chance for plasma's?

What are the specific technical details I want to be sure my Panny will have?

When it comes to LCD, what are the brands to try for, and the ones to definitely avoid?

Is the 120 Hz thing a pretty big deal? That and like the refresh rate or whatever being below 6 ms (i think I read that was good). Any other things to look for?

Thanks everyone who has given me guidance so far!

Old
04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
bigred50

LCD = Samsung

Plasma = Panasonic

In terms of price:quality, IMHO.

I would have grabbed that Samsung A550 at $799 if I were you... it's still $1200 in Canada.

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
If you get a blu-ray player, its capacity will get wasted on a 720p TV, so I agree with you to stick with an upconverting DVD player.
Blu-Ray looks bloody fantastic on a 720p TV. It's not 'wasted' at all, and then you get an upconverting DVD player too.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
LCD = Samsung

Plasma = Panasonic

In terms of price:quality, IMHO.

I would have grabbed that Samsung A550 at $799 if I were you... it's still $1200 in Canada.
Eh, I'm not too concerned about it. Deals come and go.

Since I have access to the new place May 8th, and don't have to move out of the old place until the 15th, I figure more deals will come along still, you know?

So, since I know the size I want, I want to find a stand for it and all my components (center speaker, cable box, receiver, dvd player) first. Then, I get that set up, run all my surround sound speakers and such. Then, I just have to find the tv and pop that ***** into place, lol.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
The problem is not just their cost, but also their shelf life - no more than 3k-5k hours before it starts to go bad. No doubt they'll eventually find a way to improve it, but that's 5-10 years away.
Actually even 2 years ago the half-life on plasmas was reported at 60,000 viewing hours... Which means the picture would be half as bright as it originally was out of the box after 60,000 viewing hours....

60,000 viewing hours / 8 hours a day = 7500 days or 20.5 years....

Essentially you don't have to worry about plasmas/lcd's declining from usage because any normal person would have replaced the TV set after 6-10 years...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Went to a Walmart and a Bestbuy today, just to see tv sizes in person.

50" is just a beast, lol. Way more than I need. It is so easy to start at a 40" and go "well, this 42" is better, and then, wow, look at this 46!". Haha.

I decided a 40" or 42" will work for me. Cut the budget down to $900.

So, now that I know the size, it is on to picking one.

All I read is that Panasonic is the only way to go with plasma's. I did find a 42" Sanyo 720p plasma at Walmart for $698. Pretty good price. Is Panasonic really all I want to give a chance for plasma's?

What are the specific technical details I want to be sure my Panny will have?

When it comes to LCD, what are the brands to try for, and the ones to definitely avoid?

Is the 120 Hz thing a pretty big deal? That and like the refresh rate or whatever being below 6 ms (i think I read that was good). Any other things to look for?

Thanks everyone who has given me guidance so far!
With your budget I would get a 46" Panasonic plasma... You can find fantastic deals on their entry level plasmas which would be a great first flat panel TV... I would most definitely get the Panny plasma with your budget.... Definitely the most bang for your buck at that price point.... You won't be able to get an LCD of equal screen size with your budget... Not a good quality set...

Are you located in the United States? 6th Ave Electronics is offering some killer deals on those units...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-08-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
rg_93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
With your budget i would get a 46" Panasonic plasma... You can find fantastic dealers on their entry level plasmas which would be a great first flat panel TV... I would definitely get the Panny plasma with your budget.... Definitely the most bang for your buck at that price point....

Are you located in the United States? 6th Ave Electronics is offering some killer deals on those units...
I would agree. If I was gonna go under 50", I would get the biggest Panasonic plasma I could afford. Rave reviews, but I would say its one of the brands of TVs which, even without a review, always stands out in picture quality to me...it will match your home theater very nicely.

As for the DLP/rear projection vs LCD/plasma. I would echo the sentiments of the guy who has the 72" Mitsu on the previous page. At that size (we got a 70" Sony Wega XBR2 1080p) there is no better bang for the buck than rear projection and the picture quality of the Sony is stunning (I would compare it to the Pioneer plasma's easily), and I have heard great stuff about the big Mitsubishi's too. But from 50" and down, I personally would go plasma (or 120Hz LCD).

rg_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 01:09 AM
invictus

Quote:
I do live in the US. And I about blew a load in my pants when I saw their prices on plasma's. Then I was quite devastated to see almost all of them are sold in the retail stores only.

Never in my life have I wanted so badly to live in New Jersey or New York. haha.

But thanks for that site. They do have some good prices available online as well.

I figure if I keep on eye on that one, amazon, nexttage, buydig, and any others that people throw out, im sure to find a solid deal in the next month :-)

Old
04-10-2009, 12:04 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I do live in the US. And I about blew a load in my pants when I saw their prices on plasma's. Then I was quite devastated to see almost all of them are sold in the retail stores only.

Never in my life have I wanted so badly to live in New Jersey or New York. haha.

But thanks for that site. They do have some good prices available online as well.

I figure if I keep on eye on that one, amazon, nexttage, buydig, and any others that people throw out, im sure to find a solid deal in the next month :-)
Definitely buy from a reputable dealer with a solid return policy... I can't speak from experience but I would be nervous about buying from Next Tag or Buydig and then possibly having a return issue with a defective set.

I've heard lots of good feedback about purchases on Amazon (mostly about their free shipping and white glove service)....

Regardless of where you buy from.... Definitely get a 42"-46" Panny plasma but make sure you buy from an authorized dealer so that Panasonic will honor their manufacturer's warranty should your set need repair at any point under the normal warranty period.

The first flat panel purchase is a big step up from regular old school TV's so it can definitely be something that you over-analyze and over research... I know I was probably guilty of that.... I think you'll find yourself very content with whichever set you decide to go with. It's really such a big upgrade over a regular CRT (4:3) set and standard definition broadcasting, you'll find yourself in awe...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-10-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old
04-10-2009, 12:29 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

and to answer your original question... Don't get a DLP set.... I'm sure their picture quality is terrific at times but you have to deal with replacing a lamp which means fading brightness as the bulb loses intensity... Outside of your warranty period it could be a little pricey to replace lamps out of pocket, especially if you would put a lot of hours on your set...

Old
04-10-2009, 11:52 PM
invictus

Quote:
and to answer your original question... Don't get a DLP set.... I'm sure their picture quality is terrific at times but you have to deal with replacing a lamp which means fading brightness as the bulb loses intensity... Outside of your warranty period it could be a little pricey to replace lamps out of pocket, especially if you would put a lot of hours on your set...
I feel dumb having to ask. But do all plasma flat screens have the ability to mounted? Not on a wall, but on a stand like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10793963

Just seems like a stand like that would be a good idea since it'd leave that top level open for the center speaker and all you know.

Or are only some tv's able to be put on one of those? Thanks again!

Old
04-11-2009, 10:19 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Might fit, might not... I don't really think you would know until you tried it out... I feel like a walmart brand stand might have less compatibility than a product made by a better manufacturer....

I personally wouldn't buy A/V furniture from walmart... Not to support my flat panel... I don't know their brands very well and it's doubtful that they would be from manufacturers with solid reputations for making quality furniture...

My stand was $350.... Bello has a lot of units to choose from...

http://bello.com/

How about this one?

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-11-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old
04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Disregarding the price of them, which one of these three subwoofers would you recommend? I'm using the Klipsch Quintet II speakers, and a Pioneer 818 receiver, pretty much an entry level system.

Anywho, I'm down to these three (and like I said, ignore the price, as it's irrelevant to me right now).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...06&catid=20326

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...87&catid=20326

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:

If you did, however, I wouldn't rush to get PS3 - one problem with them (so I've read on other forums) is that PS3s are not that good at upconverting regular DVDs. Usually people recommend buying a PS3, because hey it's not just a blu-ray player, but it doubles as a gaming system. While that's a valid point, it gets lost on me because I restrict my video gaming to my PC. I have a Sony BDP-S350 blu-ray player, which does a better job upconverting DVDs, and I have to say it works magnificently well. Even my old DVDs of the BBC version of The Office look stunning.

I also wouldn't get a TV that's too big with that kind of resolution - something in the 30-40 inch category would be more appropriate. On a 50 inch TV, the lower quality picture becomes more obvious. Besides, it will be cheaper.
Absolutely not true about that. Even at 720p, blu-rays look way better than an upconverted DVD.

That, and the PS3 does a fine job at upconverting. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

I'm looking to get a smaller HDTV ('smaller' being under 25 inches) for my bed room, anything you guys would recommend?

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote