HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

* Official Home Theater Discussion (TV's, Receivers, DVD, Speakers) *

Old
04-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
I'm looking to get a smaller HDTV ('smaller' being under 25 inches) for my bed room, anything you guys would recommend?
Samsung has a 450 model at 22". It's kind of expensive for its size, though. About $400.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
I'm looking to get a smaller HDTV ('smaller' being under 25 inches) for my bed room, anything you guys would recommend?
Save for a 32"... The little TV's are so pricey, you hardly get any bang for your buck...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 03:03 PM
invictus

Alright, I ended up going Plasma. Went to Nebraska Furniture Mart today and bought this tv:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...0084896&sr=8-1

Paid $829. So, there it is, lol. No more research for 10 or 15 years :-)

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Puck
Ninja

I'll have two of these please, one for the bedroom. Wrap it up. Do I get free delivery?

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-65XS1...782301&sr=1-71

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 02:15 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Alright, I ended up going Plasma. Went to Nebraska Furniture Mart today and bought this tv:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...0084896&sr=8-1

Paid $829. So, there it is, lol. No more research for 10 or 15 years :-)
Ouch, nearly $200 less 2 months later, can't win them all .

Anyways, I just have a speaker question.

I have no TV experience really seeing as my parents don't really watch TV, so we hadn't gotten a new one for 10 years and I haven't bought a good one because I'm a college student.

So they recently decided they wanted a new one (I guess for the switch) and I got them a 42 inch plasma which is really great, we all really like it.

We have some older speakers that were connected to a very ancient amp that doesn't work anymore, the TV sound isn't bad, but I wouldn't mind hooking up the speakers to it. So the amp is out, it's really crappy quality and it wouldn't connect to the TV anyways.

The port I think I need to use on the TV is optical audio out, would I just need to buy a new amp and cable and connect the amp to the TV and the speakers to the amp?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but like I said, I'm a few years behind the curve on this one.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 10:50 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

I have no TV experience really seeing as my parents don't really watch TV, so we hadn't gotten a new one for 10 years and I haven't bought a good one because I'm a college student.

So they recently decided they wanted a new one (I guess for the switch) and I got them a 42 inch plasma which is really great, we all really like it.

We have some older speakers that were connected to a very ancient amp that doesn't work anymore, the TV sound isn't bad, but I wouldn't mind hooking up the speakers to it. So the amp is out, it's really crappy quality and it wouldn't connect to the TV anyways.

The port I think I need to use on the TV is optical audio out, would I just need to buy a new amp and cable and connect the amp to the TV and the speakers to the amp?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but like I said, I'm a few years behind the curve on this one.
In defense of my purchase, the shipping on that closes the gap quite a bit to what I paid. Plus, I was able to bring it home the day I bought it. I also got to watch the entirety of the Penguins playoff run in HD on it, and to me, that makes the other $100 or so worth it :-)

As for your query, I have no idea. But im sure rg-93 and wolfgaze will be along shortly to help you out. Those guys are money

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
In defense of my purchase, the shipping on that closes the gap quite a bit to what I paid. Plus, I was able to bring it home the day I bought it. I also got to watch the entirety of the Penguins playoff run in HD on it, and to me, that makes the other $100 or so worth it :-)

As for your query, I have no idea. But im sure rg-93 and wolfgaze will be along shortly to help you out. Those guys are money
Haha I was just kidding around, I've made several buys where I go back to the store a couple weeks later and the thing I bought costs half as much, just a casualty of buying electronics, the thing you buy will most likely be worth half as much in 6 months.

I got to see the Pens playoffs in HD too, unfortunately, it was much more painful for me (Flyers fan).

Old
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Are your parents using a cable box from your cable provider? If so the cable box will have either an optical out which you would run from your cable box to your receiver (amp) or you can always use an RCA cable (red/white) which your cable box will definitely support....

Old
06-16-2009, 02:57 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Are your parents using a cable box from your cable provider? If so the cable box will have either an optical out which you would run from your cable box to your receiver (amp) or you can always use an RCA cable (red/white) which your cable box will definitely support....
I actually don't think they are using a box, I haven't poked around their internet/cable setup recently, but I think it's just a cable coming out of the wall tbh, they have very basic cable.

But basically, I'd need to connect the box to the amp instead of the TV to the amp?

Old
06-16-2009, 11:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I actually don't think they are using a box, I haven't poked around their internet/cable setup recently, but I think it's just a cable coming out of the wall tbh, they have very basic cable.

But basically, I'd need to connect the box to the amp instead of the TV to the amp?
Okay if they don't have a cable box you're going to want to run RCA (red/white) cables from the TV to the receiver and that's all you need.

Do be honest though, you got them a 42" plasma and they're not utilizing a cable box? Don't they want to upgrade to a cable box that enables them to get HD channels without the aid of a HD antenna for over the air HD signals?

They should look to upgrade their cable package and fully utlize all the TV has to offer them... Digital cable is where it's at... I'm sure they won't be disappointed.... The audio will also be much better on the HD channels and sound better coming out of the speakers... My theory is most people don't upgrade because they are in the dark about what they're missing but that MOST would enjoy it and indulge if they did.

Quote:
Say they have a cable box (which they don't right now)... You run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV and this transmits both audio and video to the TV.... The cable box will also have other output options like component output (transmits video only red/green/blue jacks) and analog audio (red/white jacks for RCA cables) and possibly optical out (for running an optical cable to your receiver). The HDMI cable will always transmit audio & video to your TV.... But you can also connect RCA cables or the optical cable from the cable box to the receiver to transmit the same audio to your receiver separately for playback out of the speakers.... In this instance you would want them to go into the TV menu and turn the TV's internal speakers off because you wouldn't want to hear both the TV's speakers and the external ones that you'll be hooking up...

I have receivers connected to both of my TVs at home.... 3.1 set up & a upper end receiver in my living room (Left-Right Fronts/Center/Sub) and a 2.0 (Left/Right Fronts) set up in my bedroom on a cheaper receiver.... I turn the TV speakers off on both of my set ups and use the receiver to transmit audio from the external speakers 24/7....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-18-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old
06-17-2009, 07:34 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Okay if they don't have a cable box you're going to want to run RCA (red/white) cables from the TV to the receiver and that's all you need.

Do be honest though, you got them a 42" plasma and they're not utilizing a cable box? Don't they want to upgrade to a cable box that enables them to get HD channels without the aid of a HD antenna for over the air HD signals?

They should look to upgrade their cable package and fully utlize all the TV has to offer them... Digital cable is where it's at... I'm sure they won't be disappointed.... The audio will also be much better on the HD channels and sound better coming out of the speakers... My theory is most people don't upgrade because they are in the dark about what they're missing but that MOST would enjoy it and indulge if they did.
Yeah I've pretty much said the same thing (I had a look around last night and they don't have one), I think they are planning on moving to Fios though, so maybe that's when they plan to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze
Say they have a cable box (which they don't right now)... You run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the receiver and this transmits both audio and video to the TV.... The cable box will also have other output options like component output (transmits video only red/green/blue jacks) and analog audio (red/white jacks for RCA cables) and possibly optical out (for running an optical cable to your receiver). The HDMI cable will always transmit audio & video to your TV.... But you can also connect RCA cables or the optical cable from the cable box to the receiver to transmit the same audio to your receiver separately for playback out of the speakers.... In this instance you would want them to go into the TV menu and turn the TV's internal speakers off because you wouldn't want to hear both the TV's speakers and the external ones that you'll be hooking up...

I have receivers connected to both of my TVs at home.... 3.1 set up & a upper end receiver in my living room (Left-Right Fronts/Center/Sub) and a 2.0 (Left/Right Fronts) set up in my bedroom on a cheaper receiver.... I turn the TV speakers off on both of my set ups and use the receiver to transmit audio from the external speakers 24/7....
That second option seems like the best one if they ever pick up the cable box, thanks a lot for your help!

At least, even if they don't want to upgrade, I will be ready to go once I graduate.

Old
06-18-2009, 12:58 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I made an error in my previous post... I meant to say they would run an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV and then separately run either an optical cable from the cable box or RCA cables from the cable box to the receiver to transmit the audio separately....

Anyhow, no problem.

Old
07-09-2009, 01:13 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218076081107

My new TV... Ridiculously good. 4MS and 120mhz makes for awesome gaming and sports watching. Colors are VERY accurate and...

The standard definition quality is waaay better than any other LCD/Plasma i've used.

A+ Samsung, really impressed.

07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

HDTV Shopping

I plan on buying an HDTV within the next week or so.

I'm going to get either a 22" or a 26", depending on the value/price.

I was wondering, what specs should I be looking at to determine which TV is better than which. If anyone could give me a bit of a walkthrough here, it would be greatly appreciated.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I plan on buying an HDTV within the next week or so.

I'm going to get either a 22" or a 26", depending on the value/price.

I was wondering, what specs should I be looking at to determine which TV is better than which. If anyone could give me a bit of a walkthrough here, it would be greatly appreciated.
First of all, go as big as you can. At 22" I'd barely recommend going HD in the first place, so I implore you to go 26".

Second of all, at these sizes, don't pay extra for 1080 resolution. I don't know if they make lots of panels in that size anyhow. But it won't be worth it unless you're sitting right in front of the TV. Past that, spec-wise, I wouldn't worry. It's important to note that manufacturers have gotten pretty darn good at making good panels, so I wouldn't even worry about other specs. ONE exception: Check out the black levels. Bring a sci-fi / space DVD or something with you when you go to buy the TV and make sure that space actually looks black and not grey. If it's too grey it can certainly be annoying.

Consider getting a monitor if you're just playing DVDs / Xbox / whatever or if you use a box to change channels. They're generally cheaper and might give you more flexibility.

Don't worry about buying name brand. Just go for a Dynex or something.

Don't buy at retail prices - scour the forums at slickdeals.net for deals, because there are ALWAYS deals on TVs. You could end up saving quite a pretty penny.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:15 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
First of all, go as big as you can. At 22" I'd barely recommend going HD in the first place, so I implore you to go 26".

Second of all, at these sizes, don't pay extra for 1080 resolution. I don't know if they make lots of panels in that size anyhow. But it won't be worth it unless you're sitting right in front of the TV. Past that, spec-wise, I wouldn't worry. It's important to note that manufacturers have gotten pretty darn good at making good panels, so I wouldn't even worry about other specs. ONE exception: Check out the black levels. Bring a sci-fi / space DVD or something with you when you go to buy the TV and make sure that space actually looks black and not grey. If it's too grey it can certainly be annoying.

Consider getting a monitor if you're just playing DVDs / Xbox / whatever or if you use a box to change channels. They're generally cheaper and might give you more flexibility.

Don't worry about buying name brand. Just go for a Dynex or something.

Don't buy at retail prices - scour the forums at slickdeals.net for deals, because there are ALWAYS deals on TVs. You could end up saving quite a pretty penny.
I agree with everything except this. You get what you pay for. My roommate has a 42 inch Dynex in the main room and I have a 32 inch Panasonic in my bedroom. I'll choose my TV any day.

Also, Cnet is your friend. They offer some pretty decent reviews

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Samsung is my favourite brand for anything... They've never let me down.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I agree with everything except this. You get what you pay for. My roommate has a 42 inch Dynex in the main room and I have a 32 inch Panasonic in my bedroom. I'll choose my TV any day.
At 42", I'd agree and say make the investment. At 22 - 26" though, the differences diminish greatly.

Anyhow, OP, obviously you want to check everything out - just don't fall into a trap where you spend more money for a name brand. I have a 37" Dynex in my workout room and it's perfectly fine. Pales in comparison to my 61" Samsung downstairs, but unless your TV truly sucks, you're not going to watch it and say "wow, this blows. Should've spent more!" on a 22".

Old
07-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Choate51

I second the cnet advice. It is a great site to educate yourself on the pros and cons on many televisions out there. Don't get 1080 it's a waste of money at that size, you may want to look into large computer monitors as Dell is always having sales on there stuff.

Choate51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Clock

Case in point regarding not buying at retail price:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...9267&t=1450689

Now this is a MONITOR and doesn't have a tuner, but if you don't need one...

Old
07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Cnet reviews are generally bad.... The best reviews i've seen are on BestBuy.com...

Old
07-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Cnet reviews are generally bad.... The best reviews i've seen are on BestBuy.com...
I'd throw amazon.com into the fray as well.

Old
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post

Also, Cnet is your friend. They offer some pretty decent reviews
What kind of Panasonic? I'm looking for a TV, probably 32", and I'll be using it for both TV and gaming. I'm probably shooting for something in the $500-700 price range. There's one that cnet seems to think highly of (Samsung LN32A450), anyone have any experience with it?

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
What kind of Panasonic? I'm looking for a TV, probably 32", and I'll be using it for both TV and gaming. I'm probably shooting for something in the $500-700 price range. There's one that cnet seems to think highly of (Samsung LN32A450), anyone have any experience with it?
I was looking at that TV about a year ago... It was really good. That series is kind of outdated now, but if you're looking for a fairly good, mid-range TV... Cant go wrong with it.

I just bought the LN32B650 ... which cnet seems to think have a blueish tinged black, but it's fine on my model.

Point is, you really cant go wrong with a Samsung TV... They know how to make TVs.

Old
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
I bought the TC-32LX85 in early January and couldn't be happier. It still retailed for 700$ at the time but HHGregg had a weekend sale and I got it for 499$. Looks like you can get it online now (electronicsexpo) for 459$ + shipping (or pick it up).

Everything I've read says that Samsung model you mentioned was probably the best or one of the best last year, but I just couldn't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola
I've noticed that they are pretty tough on products, but the things they do rate highly turn out to be quality stuff. I bought a point-and-shoot that they liked and I've been very pleased with it. I find places like Cnet are good to find an initial listing of products to further review at other places. I must have looked at 100+ reviews of that TV before I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock
At 42", I'd agree and say make the investment. At 22 - 26" though, the differences diminish greatly.

Anyhow, OP, obviously you want to check everything out - just don't fall into a trap where you spend more money for a name brand. I have a 37" Dynex in my workout room and it's perfectly fine. Pales in comparison to my 61" Samsung downstairs, but unless your TV truly sucks, you're not going to watch it and say "wow, this blows. Should've spent more!" on a 22".
True. He let me borrow his 19 inch Dynex while he was away for the summer (******* wouldn't leave his 42 inch) and it's got a decent enough picture. Of course, I've watched it from 10+ feet away in the kitchen most of the time.

Last edited by What the Faulk: 07-16-2009 at 01:46 PM.
What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote