HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

* Official Home Theater Discussion (TV's, Receivers, DVD, Speakers) *

Old
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
First of all, go as big as you can. At 22" I'd barely recommend going HD in the first place, so I implore you to go 26".

Second of all, at these sizes, don't pay extra for 1080 resolution. I don't know if they make lots of panels in that size anyhow. But it won't be worth it unless you're sitting right in front of the TV. Past that, spec-wise, I wouldn't worry. It's important to note that manufacturers have gotten pretty darn good at making good panels, so I wouldn't even worry about other specs. ONE exception: Check out the black levels. Bring a sci-fi / space DVD or something with you when you go to buy the TV and make sure that space actually looks black and not grey. If it's too grey it can certainly be annoying.

Consider getting a monitor if you're just playing DVDs / Xbox / whatever or if you use a box to change channels. They're generally cheaper and might give you more flexibility.

Don't worry about buying name brand. Just go for a Dynex or something.

Don't buy at retail prices - scour the forums at slickdeals.net for deals, because there are ALWAYS deals on TVs. You could end up saving quite a pretty penny.
lol never go with Dynex. Dynex probably makes the worst tvs in the world.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
At 42", I'd agree and say make the investment. At 22 - 26" though, the differences diminish greatly.

Anyhow, OP, obviously you want to check everything out - just don't fall into a trap where you spend more money for a name brand. I have a 37" Dynex in my workout room and it's perfectly fine. Pales in comparison to my 61" Samsung downstairs, but unless your TV truly sucks, you're not going to watch it and say "wow, this blows. Should've spent more!" on a 22".
no, even at 22-26 Dynex is laughably bad. You don't need to get 1080P at that size, but spend the extra hundred bucks and get something half decent at least.

look at these....

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...01&catid=23243

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...04&catid=23243

Old
07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I've noticed that they are pretty tough on products, but the things they do rate highly turn out to be quality stuff. I bought a point-and-shoot that they liked and I've been very pleased with it. I find places like Cnet are good to find an initial listing of products to further review at other places. I must have looked at 100+ reviews of that TV before I bought it.
That's what it really comes down to... Cnet is great as one of many sources of reviews you should look at. I mostly look at user reviews, because the main reviews are overly harsh, and have high expectations... Plus review copies of products can be different sometimes. User reviews are the best at giving you real input. One other thing I look at in reviews is how long the reviewer has had the TV. As usually people either are overly harsh at the beginning, or overly enthusiastic.

Once you've found a few models that have got good reviews, I always go to the store and ask if I can change the color settings on it and see for myself. Then I go home, think on it again, and then buy it.

I spent a year researching TVs and such before I bought mine.

07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
no, even at 22-26 Dynex is laughably bad. You don't need to get 1080P at that size, but spend the extra hundred bucks and get something half decent at least.
Shrug. Disagree.

It's obviously all a personal opinion, but my general thought is that you shouldn't spend another 20% for differences you wouldn't otherwise notice unless you had two TVs, side by side.

I really don't mind the Dynex I have upstairs, and I'm a bit of an A/V snob. Is it a good primary TV? Nah, but if you just want something in the bedroom or whatever? Save some dough.

Again OP, check the sets out for yourself before you buy. I'm just advocating that you not snub any sets based on name brand alone.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
That's what it really comes down to... Cnet is great as one of many sources of reviews you should look at. I mostly look at user reviews, because the main reviews are overly harsh, and have high expectations... Plus review copies of products can be different sometimes. User reviews are the best at giving you real input. One other thing I look at in reviews is how long the reviewer has had the TV. As usually people either are overly harsh at the beginning, or overly enthusiastic.

Once you've found a few models that have got good reviews, I always go to the store and ask if I can change the color settings on it and see for myself. Then I go home, think on it again, and then buy it.

I spent a year researching TVs and such before I bought mine.
That's about what it came down to for me too. I read the Cnet review, the 25 or so user reviews, googled a few other sites, went to Amazon even, compared prices, etc. I don't think I was ever too serious about any other TV except the Samsung, but the 200$ price drop is what sold me on the Panasonic. I even went in two different times with every intention of buying it before I actually did.

My roommate tried to talk me into getting a Dynex or some another lesser-brand knock off that I forget, but they just didn't look as good when I got to lay around with the settings. This is one of the few purchases that I've made that I never had an ounce of buyer's remorse

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 03:25 PM
UseYourAllusion

Vizio is pretty sick for the price. Not sure what their smaller stuff is like, but my 37 has been really good to me.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

The reason I'm getting a 26" is because that's pretty much the biggest that my entertainment housing can house.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 03:55 PM
FruityPants3*

Time for a new entertainment housing (or none at all).

I can't imagine making the investment into HD and starting off with a 26, unless it's as a monitor too.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Samsung is my favourite brand for anything... They've never let me down.
Same here. I'd take a Samsung product over a LG product any day.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
My roommate had a 40" Bravia and then he moved out.

So I went and got a 32" Bravia and I wish I had a 40".

My friend got a 26" Samsung and I laughed.

32" is probably the smallest anyone should go but I think a 40"/42" is a good "normal" size.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 07:52 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Time for a new entertainment housing (or none at all).

I can't imagine making the investment into HD and starting off with a 26, unless it's as a monitor too.
I'm 17. I'm not looking for a TV to last forever, here.

Old
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Teemu

How substantial of a quality difference is it between 720p and 1080p (on a 32")? I'm starting to lean more to the LN32B540.

Last edited by Teemu: 07-16-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2009, 11:21 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
How substantial of a quality difference is it between 720p and 1080p (on a 32")? I'm starting to lean more to the LN32B540.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
32" is way too small for you to be able to see the benefits of 1080P...

If you can find a good deal on a 720P set, by all means, spring for it....

I have a 1080P Aquos in my living room and a 720P Aquos in my bedroom.... I really only watch TV on them so there's no benefit to having 1080P as the stations are broadcasting in 720P or 1080i anyway.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Cnet reviews are generally bad.... The best reviews i've seen are on BestBuy.com...
Bad as in inaccurate or bad as in they say negative things?

I think cnet is very reliable... You want them to be critical, don't you want to be able to distinguish the top end sets from the medium tier sets from the lower tier sets? If they were generous with their reviews, readers would not be able to differentiate one model from another. The key is for the reader to be educated and understand that every little detail that a cnet review points out will not make a break a set or prevent your average consumer from enjoying that set.

Sharp released a few years of the Aquos line and they had this uniformity issue that was causing banding on their sets.... Cnet pointed it out every time as they reviewed different models from one year to the next.... And rightfully so...

Even when they do point out flaws in sets, they will still give them favorite overall ratings like Very Good on the star ranking scale...

It's nice to also read reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, etc because you see what the average consumer is saying about the product but you also get a lot of knuckleheads who don't know what they're talking about.

Old
07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
UseYourAllusion

CNET is great. Harsh? yes, but if they like something, it's usually very, very good.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Shrug. Disagree.

It's obviously all a personal opinion, but my general thought is that you shouldn't spend another 20% for differences you wouldn't otherwise notice unless you had two TVs, side by side.

I really don't mind the Dynex I have upstairs, and I'm a bit of an A/V snob. Is it a good primary TV? Nah, but if you just want something in the bedroom or whatever? Save some dough.

Again OP, check the sets out for yourself before you buy. I'm just advocating that you not snub any sets based on name brand alone.
I work at Best Buy and see all the brands everyday, and I can say that Dynex easily makes the worst tvs. The picture is just so grainy. I will give them credit for finally realizing that their casing was just too cheap and going with something more modern, but Dynex is pretty much the worst.

Old
07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I work at Best Buy and see all the brands everyday, and I can say that Dynex easily makes the worst tvs. The picture is just so grainy. I will give them credit for finally realizing that their casing was just too cheap and going with something more modern, but Dynex is pretty much the worst.
I could never justify buying a budget brand TV... While I don't require a top tier TV, I just would NEVER feel comfortable with one of the tier-3 companies or budget brands.....

Old
07-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Cnet reviews are generally bad.... The best reviews i've seen are on BestBuy.com...
If you want the real scoop on anything home theater the very best site I know of is is AVS.com. The only problem is that there may be too much info.

You also have to take the comments into perspective. The site is loaded with audio/vidiophiles. They know their stuff but are extremely hard on every product once it has been out for a week or two!

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I went with the Samsung 3 Series at 32". Looking forward to it.

Old
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
If you want the real scoop on anything home theater the very best site I know of is is AVS.com. The only problem is that there may be too much info.

You also have to take the comments into perspective. The site is loaded with audio/vidiophiles. They know their stuff but are extremely hard on every product once it has been out for a week or two!
AVS is just a bunch of user reviews though... There's no obligation on the part of the reviewer to remain objective or touch on all points.... I mean it's valuable in it's own right but I would think a cnet review would be more important and they will specifically run down every facet of the product....

The people doing the reviews on cnet are doing it because it's their job.... The people giving reviews on AVS forum actually own the product 99.9% of the time... That introduces a lot of BIAS into the review.... People mostly want to justify their purchase so they are more inclined to give a favorable review and say how great their new $2500 TV is...

Reading AVS forum can also be discouraging as you will have people point out seemingly minor flaws and they are just regurgitated non-stop to the point where you are scared from buying a particular product... A minor issue 95% of owners wouldn't notice turns into a virtual deal breaker for perspective buyers....

I'm on AVS forum regularly and have done a lot of research there... Amongst the good information, there's also misinformation and people who don't know what they're talking about and it would be hard for a person who's new to flat panels to separate the accurate from the inaccurate posts...

Old
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
AVS is just a bunch of user reviews though... There's no obligation on the part of the reviewer to remain objective or touch on all points.... I mean it's valuable in it's own right but I would think a cnet review would be more important and they will specifically run down every facet of the product....

The people doing the reviews on cnet are doing it because it's their job.... The people giving reviews on AVS forum actually own the product 99.9% of the time... That introduces a lot of BIAS into the review.... People mostly want to justify their purchase so they are more inclined to give a favorable review and say how great their new $2500 TV is...

Reading AVS forum can also be discouraging as you will have people point out seemingly minor flaws and they are just regurgitated non-stop to the point where you are scared from buying a particular product... A minor issue 95% of owners wouldn't notice turns into a virtual deal breaker for perspective buyers....

I'm on AVS forum regularly and have done a lot of research there... Amongst the good information, there's also misinformation and people who don't know what they're talking about and it would be hard for a person who's new to flat panels to separate the accurate from the inaccurate posts...
You have to read with an open mind and a wary eye. But this is also true of professional reviews. However, it is also important to note that many of the most respected professional reviewers and calibrators are also regular participants on AVS.

For example, if you want to know about DVD/Bluray players than there really is no one better than Kris Deering. He is a regular poster on AVS and will often expand on his reviews or give heads up notices prior to new reviews. If you want to know about the latest from JVC in front projectors, you can hear and ask questions directly from Tom Stites. If you want to know about top notch plasmas, there are top calibrators like DNice. In addition, many of the participants buy and sell frequently so that they have a chance to put the latest and greatest through their paces.

I have spent most of my time on the projector and plasma forums since this is where my main interests lie.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:57 AM
debbiema

Wow, wolfgaze, your bedroom and living room look great. You seem to have real top equipment. I just don't have the money to get such great stuff. Nevertheless, I want to get a flatscreen TV and so I'll check out some electronic stores and see what I find. Hope I`ll find one in my price range.

debbiema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiema View Post
Wow, wolfgaze, your bedroom and living room look great. You seem to have real top equipment. I just don't have the money to get such great stuff. Nevertheless, I want to get a flatscreen TV and so I'll check out some electronic stores and see what I find. Hope I`ll find one in my price range.
Thanks for the compliments... AV equipment can get extremely high end but it's all relative to user experience... My gear would be considered mid-level in relation to what some other people are using in their homes but I enjoy the equipment that I have and have no desire to upgrade it anytime in the near future... I would LOVE to have a 5.1 set up for my speakers but my living quarters does not have the room for it...

How much are you looking to spend on your TV?

Old
08-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

Ive been looking to get a decent sound system for my tv setup for quite some time now. Ive been hesitant because its still summer and because of costs. Well, today, some sketch ball came to my place of buisness and was selling sound systems. I bought a 4 speaker 2200 watt sound system off the guy for 150$. Clearly I am aware that it is stolen or bought illegally, im not entirely sure it works or not, but it did come in an unopened box.

The make is Sutherland Technologies. Ive never heard of them before, anyone have any experience with them?

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote