HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

* Official Home Theater Discussion (TV's, Receivers, DVD, Speakers) *

Old
08-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
Ive been looking to get a decent sound system for my tv setup for quite some time now. Ive been hesitant because its still summer and because of costs. Well, today, some sketch ball came to my place of buisness and was selling sound systems. I bought a 4 speaker 2200 watt sound system off the guy for 150$. Clearly I am aware that it is stolen or bought illegally, im not entirely sure it works or not, but it did come in an unopened box.

The make is Sutherland Technologies. Ive never heard of them before, anyone have any experience with them?
You got scammed man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Brands reported to be sold out of white vans:

# Palermo[29]
# Paradyme[16]
# Paramax Audio [30]
# Proline Acoustic[15]
# Protechnik[31]
# Protecsound (PTS)[14][32]
# PSD[14][15]
# Pure Acoustics[13]
# RDX [33]
# Samaurai[15][16]
# Skyline[16]
# Sutherland Technology[15]
# Theater Logic[34]
# Theater Research, Theatre Research, Theater Innovations[14][15][16]
# VAV[13]
# Vokl Audio [35]
Part of the scam is them convincing you that the speakers are super high-end and that they need to get rid of them for some reason (usually overstock but they often try and give you the impression that they were stolen). The speakers are crap though as many different groups have ran some baseline tests on them.

08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
You got scammed man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

Part of the scam is them convincing you that the speakers are super high-end and that they need to get rid of them for some reason (usually overstock but they often try and give you the impression that they were stolen). The speakers are crap though as many different groups have ran some baseline tests on them.
Thanks for the info.

To be honest, I was expecting it to be stolen or a scam of some sorts but the price was just too good to pass up. If this setup can even last me a year or so its worth the 150$. Hell, il probably end up wasting more than 150$ on booze this weekend.

Plus my roomate is an electrical engineer who loves fiddling around with stuff, im sure he can improve the suckage a bit.

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 05:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
Thanks for the info.

To be honest, I was expecting it to be stolen or a scam of some sorts but the price was just too good to pass up. If this setup can even last me a year or so its worth the 150$. Hell, il probably end up wasting more than 150$ on booze this weekend.

Plus my roomate is an electrical engineer who loves fiddling around with stuff, im sure he can improve the suckage a bit.
Ebay them for $150... Someone will bite!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 12:20 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Ebay them for $150... Someone will bite!
You mean $175?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Classless Goon
Ducimus

HD TV question

I am hesitating right now between two models I saw online at Best Buy or and Future Shop:

42'' LG, 1080p, 80 000:1, 2.4 ms, 120 hz: 1299,99 $(on sale, used to be 1399,99$)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=FR

or

42'' LG 1080p, 80 000:1, 2 ms, 240 hz
: 1499,99$(on sale from 1699,99$)
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=FR

TV will be used mainly for gaming, movies, and watching sports. I was inclined towards the firstone, but on the other hand is the 200 $ more worth it for .4 ms less of response time and 240 hz as opposed to 120 hz? Are these good tv's or should I keep looking? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Classless Goon: 08-25-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
If you can spend the 200, I'd get the second one. You wouldn't have any blur or ghosting during hockey watching or game playing.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
For the price difference, go for the second one. From what I remember, though, it's not a true 240 hz, but rather the processor artificially manufacturing it.

Either way, nothing is broadcasted in 240 hz just yet, anyway.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Peter Griffin

I'm finally taking the plunge and going to purchase a new TV. I'll mostly be using it to watch hockey as well as movies(although no Blu-Ray yet) and playing video games. Not looking to get anything larger than a 46" and no smaller than a 40". Interested in this one here. Any opinions on this TV or other suggestions? Not looking to spend much more than about $1200 or so. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Another TV I've had my eye on is this 42" Panasonic. Would this be a good set for watching sports, movies, games?

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 09-05-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I'm finally taking the plunge and going to purchase a new TV. I'll mostly be using it to watch hockey as well as movies(although no Blu-Ray yet) and playing video games. Not looking to get anything larger than a 46" and no smaller than a 40". Interested in this one here. Any opinions on this TV or other suggestions? Not looking to spend much more than about $1200 or so. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Another TV I've had my eye on is this 42" Panasonic. Would this be a good set for watching sports, movies, games?
I have had 2 Panasonic Plasmas and they are awesome. Everything is so real looking. I have never been impressed with LCD. They tend to Pop more (good for some movies like Transformers or animation and games), but everything else about the Plasmas are better IMO. Most LCD's also still have problems with fast motion as in sports, but maybe that bugs me more than others.

My current model is the 800u. When I first got it I was a little disappointed, but over the next couple weeks everything just started looking better and better. Had it for about 9 months and just love it.

Here is an excellent 46" Panny model for 898.00 US. Not sure if there is a different/equivalent model in Canada or what the price would be though.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANTH46PZ80U

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 09-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:22 PM
invictus

Quote:

If you are getting in the 40 or 42 size, you can get a 720p and save a few hundred since you can't see a difference at that size unless you are very close.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
If you are getting in the 40 or 42 size, you can get a 720p and save a few hundred since you can't see a difference at that size unless you are very close.
The thing is, at Futureshop they have both the 720P and 1080P models on for the same price, not sure why as all other places I've seen do have them at a couple hundred dollars difference as you said. So if I can get the 1080P model for the same price I might as well.

On that note, does anyone else here hate shopping at places where the employees work under commission? I just went to another "big box" store here because I don't have a Futureshop where I live and asked if they'd match the price of that Panasonic TV. He said they would and when I said there was a $200 price difference he tried to sell me on a different TV, suddenly saying that plasma TV's aren't all that great, even though not two minutes earlier he was telling me that they are good for what I said I wanted to use it for. Makes me want to pull me hair out! I'm just going to print out the Futureshop ad, go in there and say either sell me this TV at this price or I'll go elsewhere.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post

Here is an excellent 46" Panny model for 898.00 US. Not sure if there is a different/equivalent model in Canada or what the price would be though.

Holy crap, that is an excellent deal. The cheapest comparable up here looks to be about $1700 or so.

Old
09-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Peter Griffin

If I do decide to go with LCD, in the 40 or 42" size is it paramount to get a TV with 120HZ if my main usage is for hockey and gaming? Anyone have any opinion on this TV?

Old
09-05-2009, 11:09 PM
invictus

Quote:
The thing is, at Futureshop they have both the 720P and 1080P models on for the same price,
Intriguing

Old
09-06-2009, 11:00 PM
rg_93

Quote:
If I do decide to go with LCD, in the 40 or 42" size is it paramount to get a TV with 120HZ if my main usage is for hockey and gaming? Anyone have any opinion on this TV?
Don't have an opinion on the specific models you have shown.

But my opinion is that for sports and movies, plasma is better than LCD. Panasonic is fantastic, check out the CNET reviews, they are the best: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-de...tColumnArea1.0

If, however, I were to go LCD, I would go 120Hz for sure. I feel I can sense motion blur on LCD more than plasma, so it would be essential to me. I watch so much sports on TV, and so little of everything else though, that I would probably try to stick to plasma personally.

That $898 deal is awesome. When I lived in Vancouver, I ordered tons of stuff (electronics, golf clubs etc) to Sumas, Washington to some shipping place. You just add them as an address on your credit card, takes 5 minutes. They charge you a reasonable fee to receive items for you.

A 46" 1080p Panny trumps a 40" LCD of any brand in my books. You can never go to big! When buying a quality set, sometimes getting lost in the details of contrast, black levels etc...can just obscure the simple fact that a quality 46" will just look much better than quality 40".

rg_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Peter Griffin

My only concern with the plasma right now is the glare issue. I've got a lot of light in my living room and the way it is set up I can't have any of that light behind the TV, it's all in front or to the side. I notice a lot of glare at times on my old tube TV and I'm fearful that a plasma would be just as bad considering they both have glass fronts. Would this be accurate? I guess the only way to be sure is to try it out really...

Old
09-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Clock

Quote:
My only concern with the plasma right now is the glare issue. I've got a lot of light in my living room and the way it is set up I can't have any of that light behind the TV, it's all in front or to the side. I notice a lot of glare at times on my old tube TV and I'm fearful that a plasma would be just as bad considering they both have glass fronts. Would this be accurate? I guess the only way to be sure is to try it out really...
Well, if your old tube set isn't a flatscreen (and by this I mean "curved"), then I'm pretty sure that a flatscreen won't reflect quite as much light back at you. It should be an improvement.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Well, if your old tube set isn't a flatscreen (and by this I mean "curved"), then I'm pretty sure that a flatscreen won't reflect quite as much light back at you. It should be an improvement.
Yea that's a good point for sure. I think I'm just going to go for it, it's the TV I've wanted for a while and I don't want to sacrifice my hockey viewing and gaming for an inferior TV that may have less glare issues. I'll just close the curtains if it bothers me that much!

Old
09-08-2009, 01:08 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_93 View Post
But my opinion is that for sports and movies, plasma is better than LCD.
I bought the 50 inch Panasonic TH50PZ800 last boxing day and I am still amazed at the quality of the picture. Standard Definition TV looks good but High Definition looks absolutely incredible so don't forget to upgrade to the HD package with your cable company.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Yea that's a good point for sure. I think I'm just going to go for it, it's the TV I've wanted for a while and I don't want to sacrifice my hockey viewing and gaming for an inferior TV that may have less glare issues. I'll just close the curtains if it bothers me that much!
The Panasonic plasma you are looking at will give you a very nice picture. Moreover, since you live in Canada, the issue of too much light while watching hockey in December is not such a big deal if you get my drift. But in any case, the new generation plasmas are much better at dealing with light than older models and should be better than your current TV.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Clock

It's pretty tough to go wrong with any of the technologies now. LCD and plasma both look fantastic to me with good black levels / minimal screen door / quick response times. I'd PROBABLY lean toward LCD just because it eats up less power, but that's obviously not a big deal.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up... I have a friend that was coming to me for HDTV buying advice and I forwarded him that link.... Best bang for buck performance you can ask for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
I bought the 50 inch Panasonic TH50PZ800 last boxing day and I am still amazed at the quality of the picture. Standard Definition TV looks good but High Definition looks absolutely incredible so don't forget to upgrade to the HD package with your cable company.

That's a nice set! They are selling for real cheap now that the model is discontinued...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Peter Griffin

Well I went ahead and bought the Panasonic plasma and couldn't be happier! Very nice TV! Thanks to all for the help.

Old
09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Well I went ahead and bought the Panasonic plasma and couldn't be happier! Very nice TV! Thanks to all for the help.
I would just make sure that you don't leave it freeze framed on anything for at least 100 hours of viewing time. I was gentle to mine because of warnings. I believe Burn in has been reduced to the same level as CRT's now. At least the Panny's have, but a gentle burn in period is still good.

What exact model did you end up getting and what did it run ya?

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I would just make sure that you don't leave it freeze framed on anything for at least 100 hours of viewing time. I was gentle to mine because of warnings. I believe Burn in has been reduced to the same level as CRT's now. At least the Panny's have, but a gentle burn in period is still good.
What about playing video games with a HUD or scoreclock, would that be ok?

Quote:
What exact model did you end up getting and what did it run ya?
I got this one here for $999:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

Any idea what the difference is between the one I got and this one here:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

Only thing I can see is this "Neo PDP" technology that just sounds like it cuts back on power consumption?