HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Revisiting the Zherdev trade

Old
03-24-2009, 01:30 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Revisiting the Zherdev trade

After nearly a full season, is the Zherdev for Tyutin and Backman deal as big of a steal for us as we all thought it would be?

At age 24, Zherdev has not had the breakout season that many of us expected, as he is on pace to finish with 60 points (after having 61 last year on a woeful Columbus team). His issues with lack of effort at times have arisen as advertised, and he's due for a raise this summer as a RFA. Who knows if he'll even be with us next year, as he may have to be moved in order to retain Antropov/Morris.

Meanwhile, Tyutin has become somewhat of a fan favorite on a Columbus team that is now very good, and is locked up for three more years at less than $3 million per. It's also worth noting that his 32 points this year are a career high and would be first among all defensemen on our team.

Not saying that I personally have buyer's remorse, as I think this is one of those rare deals that has been beneficial for both sides (imagine our offense with out Z), but I'd say it's not nearly as clear-cut of a win for us as we thought.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
bcrt2000

I loved toots, but if we can keep Antropov and sign Z, I think in the long run it should help Z's production because the other team can't defend both Antropov and Z with their best defenders if they are on two different lines. Also, when Antropov and Z did play together for a few shifts they looked like magic out there.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Im not interested in resigning Morris and from the sound of things Slats isnt either.

trade looks pretty even at this point, that said i think we would be in a worse position this season if we had not made the deal. And that is what matters.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I was a big fan of Tyutin, and I think he'll continue to get better.

But the bottom line is at the time of that trade, Petr Prucha was our career leader in points on the wing. Even though Z has been somewhat of a disappointment, we needed a relatively cheap option on the wing and we needed to give up a valuable asset in Tyutin to get it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
If they never made the trade, I would never have won the Rocket Richard with Zherdev in my NHL 09 dynasty.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
In The Flesh

I really could go either way on this trade, if we traded Z back to Cbus for Toots, fine by me, if we don't, okay too.

Z's been good and all but he's too much of a floater for me, he still produces though, so......

our D would be real solid with Toots though, and we probably wouldn't have signed Redden or resigned Rozi, hopefully the former

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
If we're able to re-sign Zherdev, I'll still love the deal. We've been thin on the wings for a few seasons, but in possession of a number of good defensive prospects. I still see it as trading from a relative strength to address a weakness.

Again, this is predicated on Zherdev coming back.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

If this trade doesn't happen... you probably don't have redden, and probably still have Dawes and Prucha.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
If this trade doesn't happen... you probably don't have redden, and probably still have Dawes and Prucha.
How about Renney?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
94now

Even trade. Exactly what was expected on both sides. No more. No less.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYROrtsFan

Z gets his nose dirty without a doubt...

I think what has hurt him is the linemates around him, but he'll improve now with Torts' system. Torts' system naturally causes offense off of turnovers so Z will really benefit from that because Zherdev was pretty good about causing turnovers before the system change.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Trade happened after Redden was signed.

Ironically, Scott Howson chased Redden hard and lost, but when Wade signed with the Rangers, it made Tyutin expendable and Howson was there to pick him up.

I said it was win-win for both teams then and stand by that today.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
ok wasn't sure about that.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:05 PM
NYR Viper

Still would rather have zherdev. Tyuts is a good d-man but with players like Sauer, Potter, Sanguinetti, DZ and Kundratek plus Girardi and Staal the Rangers have plenty of depth and they added a winger where they are very weak throughout the whole organization.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Even trade. Exactly what was expected on both sides. No more. No less.
Agreed, one of the few "good" trades for both parties that I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Still would rather have zherdev. Tyuts is a good d-man but with players like Sauer, Potter, Sanguinetti, DZ and Kundratek plus Girardi and Staal the Rangers have plenty of depth and they added a winger where they are very weak throughout the whole organization.
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Im not interested in resigning Morris and from the sound of things Slats isnt either.

trade looks pretty even at this point, that said i think we would be in a worse position this season if we had not made the deal. And that is what matters.
Were did you hear that slats isnt interested in resigning morris?

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
eco's bones

Zherdev has a bit of Kovalev in him. Sooner or later Tortorella is either going to get the good Kovalev out of him or he's going to seriously hurt his feelings. Consistency issues aside--we can go up and down the lineup of forwards and find issues with the other scoring talent--Drury, Naslund, Gomez etc. As for talent--we needed more for our offense when the deal was made and our organization is a lot deeper in quality defensemen than forwards so the trade is still good in my eyes. The other thing was getting rid of Backman which was addition by subtraction. I liked Fedor though and I'm glad he's doing well. I think Hitchcock has been more willing to experiment and bring out Fedor's missing offensive game than Renney was--who once he settled on his team of pwp pointmen particularly Rozsival was reluctant to give Fedor a real chance to shine offensively. I have to think that had the deal not happened this season would have been more of the same.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:19 PM
DontStepanMe

I still would rather have traded Girardi than Tyutin, just like I felt that day. I miss toots and his hipchecks. It was a very fair trade though, and as much as I love toots I wouldn't redo it b/c we don't have any depth on the wings.

Still am pissed about the offseason though. Still believe the best option was to go after Hossa and stay away from Redden. Wish Sather thought that way as well back then.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Still am pissed about the offseason though. Still believe the best option was to go after Hossa and stay away from Redden. Wish Sather thought that way as well back then.
How do you know that he didn't, but Hossa just didn't want to come here? The fact that he signed a 1-year deal with the defending champs should make his intentions pretty clear - NYR was never an option for Hossa.

As to the trade, sure a bit of the luster has run off. This is definitely no longer the highway robbery a lot of people were proclaiming it to be at the time, but it is certainly a trade that has benefited both teams. None of us know how the rest of the dominoes would have fallen had the trade not been executed, but if we're talking just a simple reversal with all else being equal, I make the trade again very easily.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

Ironically, Scott Howson chased Redden hard and lost, but when Wade signed with the Rangers, it made Tyutin expendable and Howson was there to pick him up.

I said it was win-win for both teams then and stand by that today.
Alot of teams chased after Redden.Rangers,Columbus,Dallas,Calgary and SJ.Doug Wilson in SJ offered Matt Carle and #1 pick for Redden as a rental.Redden is playing much better under Tortorella than Renney.If there were that many teams interested in him last summer,..........

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Bury Your Head

It was sort of a trade that had to be made, with Jagr's departure and our "depth" at defense. However, if Zherdev signs elsewhere and Tyutin keeps blossoming, I think Columbus wins. Personally, I prefer Tyutin; Zherdev just isn't my sort of player.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
czechmate25

Columbus doesn't regret the deal....that's for sure.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

huh? thank god you are not the gm. and im hoping you are wrong on the slats thing.

i love morris. hes been fantastic since hes been here.

where you getting your info ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh? thank god you are not the gm. and im hoping you are wrong on the slats thing.

i love morris. hes been fantastic since hes been here.

where you getting your info ?

I saw a article a few days ago discussing how Phoenix is going to push hard to get Morris back in the off season. Maybe the fourth period? Not sure.

EDIT : Yeah, here it is. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phx090322.html

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I saw a article a few days ago discussing how Phoenix is going to push hard to get Morris back in the off season. Maybe the fourth period? Not sure.
Yeah, the team that claims they're losing tons of money, makes alot of cents

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote