HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Trade in place to send Lecavalier to Montreal @ the draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Trade in place to send Lecavalier to Montreal @ the draft

Good ol' Larry Brooks.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03222009...710.htm?page=0

Old
03-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
I see Brooks has warmed up to Tortorella.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
x-bob

As a Habs fan, I was wondering on Tampa fans opinion on trading Lecavalier to Montreal. It's obvious that you wouldn't be getting a star player in return but would you guys be interested if players such as Higgins, Plekanec, O'Byrne, Subban were part of the deal. Do you guys think that this would improve your team on the long run? I hear a lo about what Habs fans think about it but I rarely hear what you guys think about it.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:22 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I see Brooks has warmed up to Tortorella.
Quote:
You know what, Tortorella is right. It's not about him. It's about Lecavalier, Marty St. Louis, Nikolai Khabibulin, Tim Taylor, Dave Andreychuk and Dan Boyle. It's about Rick Dudley, the general manager in Tampa who hired him and Jay Feaster, the general manager who got him the players with whom he won the Cup in 2004.

It's about Peter Laviolette, whom he passed, and it's about the historical context provided by people such as Herb Brooks, Bob Johnson and Robbie Ftorek who helped pave the way.

It's about everybody else, not about Tortorella, the coach was right about that. It's unfortunate he couldn't spare the two minutes to acknowledge that.
Yeah, good to see they are on good terms.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Too bad he forgot Phil Esposito drafting Lecavalier and Richards.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:30 PM
gobolt7

Say what you will about Larry Brooks, but dont discard this as..."well, its just Larry Brooks". Trust me when I tell you where there is smoke, there is fire.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

I would not be deadset against it. Large contract, fix depth problems, emergence of Stamkos, etc. Plus there is nothing more frustrating than Vinny when he isn't interested.

If he does get traded I hope we shop him around though, he does not have a trade clause and should not be given an unofficial one.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
As a Habs fan, I was wondering on Tampa fans opinion on trading Lecavalier to Montreal. It's obvious that you wouldn't be getting a star player in return but would you guys be interested if players such as Higgins, Plekanec, O'Byrne, Subban were part of the deal. Do you guys think that this would improve your team on the long run? I hear a lo about what Habs fans think about it but I rarely hear what you guys think about it.
Okay, I'm getting tired of defending why Vinny should stay a bolt. I'll play ball, and dont get over excited though because you had asked for it.

To Tampa:
1st and 2nd rounds in 2009
1st and 2nd rounds in 2010
Subban
Ben Maxwell
Ryan Mcdonagh
Danny Kristo

To Montreal:
Malik
Vinny Lecavalier

A deal somewhere around that ball park would be required, remember we are in a rebuilding mode and Vinny has always been the face of this franchise. You want him, you gotta pay.

Old
03-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Maria

July 1st cannot get here fast enough, I don't want to see Vinny go

Old
03-22-2009, 08:56 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

This will happen if, and only if, we draft JT somehow. I'm seriously doubting that we win the first pick, do that and trade Vinny. Brooks is, as always, out on a very thin limb.

Old
03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Major4Boarding
Private Equity

There's a lot of speculation on who is staying and who is going this summer, and maybe another self imposed cap. Based on what I have looked at, they'll need Vinny's contract counting against the cap just to barely make the salary cap floor. If they trade him, it'll have to be for players in a combination of 4.5 - 6 million range and it'll be players that will ultimately push some others down the depth chart, maybe even out the door. If they're going to do it, it better be verrrry well thought out and impact this team (i.e. help make this team a playoff contender) immediately, as the PR fallout will no doubt be immense. And it better be out West.

That said, I can't see it happening. I hope.

Old
03-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Brooks will always go out of his way to make Torts out to be a bad or selfish guy, because on more than one occasion Torts put Brooks in his place, whether it was before or after a game during interviews.

Brooks is a worm.

Old
03-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I rather would like to avoid these "reports" if he is traded so may it be, but it's juts annoying to speculate every week in and out (year i nand out too!) what will happen.

03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Untamable

YAWN.

I am so tired of hearing about if Vinny may or may not be traded to Montreal. I do not foresee it ever happening, so until I hear it from Lawton or Vinny's mouth I wont even blink in the direction of this topic again.

Old
03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I see it happening. My concern is the return.

Old
03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
This.

Those of you writing it off, just be prepared.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:01 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
This.

Those of you writing it off, just be prepared.
I'm sorry, but I don't. And seeing as how I just ordered a Lecavalier jersey, I hope it doesn't. BTW, what about his NMC? But let's say worse comes to worse, what return would we accept? I sincerely hope it involves defense of some sort, but without Markov, what the hell good can we get? A good prospect or two (Subban/McD) and maybe A Kostitsyn and Higgins? That's not enough, sorry.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't. And seeing as how I just ordered a Lecavalier jersey, I hope it doesn't. BTW, what about his NMC? But let's say worse comes to worse, what return would we accept? I sincerely hope it involves defense of some sort, but without Markov, what the hell good can we get? A good prospect or two (Subban/McD) and maybe A Kostitsyn and Higgins? That's not enough, sorry.
His new contract kicks in July 1st. He has no no movement clause prior to that.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Tokala

Quote:
+1.

It's the Boyle situation all over again. Top performer, extremely rich contract, owners that don't want to pay that large salary. Hopefully they figure out how to get overpaid. They'll have to because many people will hate them and they're gonna have to make those people forget the trade.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Quote:
Yeah. But unlike the last hundred times this rumor has popped up I don't really care that much. I would rather not have his contract, especially if he is going to spend the next 11 years coasting around and not caring.

Stamkos coming up strong doesn't hurt either.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
VoteNOB

Why are we still having this discussion, didn't Lawton come out and say Vinny is not available? All this is the beat reporters for the Hab-nots tring to stir the pot with hopes of influencing a trade of the goldenchild to Montreal , so their fans can finally run gayly through the streets while sipping pitiful french adult beverages while wearing #4 sweaters.

/yawn

Is the draft here yet?

Old
03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteNOB View Post
Why are we still having this discussion, didn't Lawton come out and say Vinny is not available? All this is the beat reporters for the Hab-nots tring to stir the pot with hopes of influencing a trade of the goldenchild to Montreal , so their fans can finally run gayly through the streets while sipping pitiful french adult beverages while wearing #4 sweaters.

/yawn

Is the draft here yet?
I believe his exact quote was that he was not "actively" trying to trade Vinny. He has also gone on to say that no one is untouchable.

No one is asking you guys to believe this, just be prepared. Trust me on that one.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

Quote:
I believe his exact quote was that he was not "actively" trying to trade Vinny. He has also gone on to say that no one is untouchable.

No one is asking you guys to believe this, just be prepared. Trust me on that one.
Will you pay my internet for a month if it doesn't happen?

Old
03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
VoteNOB

Quote:

Actually I believe he told Dumig that the Lightning will not be trading Vinny ever. He also has the following quotes in the Tribune.

"We're not going to trade Vinny Lecavalier," Lawton recently told The Tampa Tribune. "I'm going to say, 'Never,' so I don't have to deal with it."

In previous discussions involving the rumors surrounding Lecavalier, Lawton had been more cryptic in giving easily comments that left the door open for interpretation. Not this time.

"I'll say never right now," Lawton said. "You can usually say you should never say never, but because people have taken such liberties with that whole deal, we never shopped Vinny Lecavalier. Did people ask about him? Of course. Who wouldn't? Were we actively calling teams? No. We never did and we never will.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/report/TB/11422716

Case closed, as this thread should be closed, it's more dumbass Montreal fans/reporters/Larry Brooks starting more dumbass rumors. Enough already.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Will you pay my internet for a month if it doesn't happen?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteNOB View Post
Case closed, as this thread should be closed, it's more dumbass Montreal fans/reporters/Larry Brooks starting more dumbass rumors. Enough already.
Thats fine. But lets remember, we were NEVER going to trade Brad Richards, and I was personally told a full 2 weeks before the Boyle deal that there was NO WAY he was going to be moved, and how he was going to play 25 minutes a night and QB the powerplay. (Thats when I learned a lot about the people running this thing.) The writing is on the wall, right here in Tampa. It has nothing to do with Montreal fans, media, or Larry Brooks. This team is trying to save money, and it is my personal opinion that the idea to trade Vinny has been/is being floated around.

Closed Thread