HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade in place to send Lecavalier to Montreal @ the draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2009, 11:58 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Take it in a hearbeat. You guys cannot afford to give up that much though...
I think we could. But let's remove Chipchura from the trade then. You still take it? Our farm system is very deep, and I'm pretty sure Lecavalier would make our wingers look better. If we're able to re-sign Tanguay and Kostopoulos, our team could look like this next year :

Latendresse - Lecavalier - Tanguay
Higgins - Plekanec - Pacioretty
D'Agostini - Lapierre - Kostopoulos
Stewart - Chipchura - Laraque
Maxwell

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Gorges
O'Byrne - Weber (or Emelin, Carle)

For sure, that's not amazing, but that could be the start of something great. We would probably need to add a talented winger from the free agent market, and re-sign Bouillon or another defenseman for depth.

Old
03-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Playing along

It would have to include the Brothers, McDonagh, Chipchura, and a first in this year's draft. I wasn't knocking Chipchura with the Nabisco thing... that was just too easy.

Weber is unfortunately too small for where I think the defensive scheme is going. Promising offensively I'm sure, but we have Murphy who's that size and could possibly be adding Ellis to the mix with one of the countless scenario's that could play out between now and the draft. The Brothers would come close to Lecavalier's numbers on average, but outside of the folks on this board not too many people will recognize them and they'd have to produce, like immediately, for this management to come close to breaking even from the PR nightmare.

Yemelin has too much baggage from what I understand. McDonagh would be an excellent addition and fits the mold. A year in Norfolk and with potential re-adjustment, could knock on the door for the 5/6 slot and work his way up quickly. Chipchura will be a great player to have, and although I was joking, it's possible that he could play on a line with Szczechura to the likings of a shut down line we haven't seen here since Zamuner/Andersson.

Old
03-24-2009, 01:13 AM
nothingtosee
female fan

i didn't read this whole read, because i couldn't stand it im sure. payer i get to attached to players, but i dont want anythin mtl has to give us that makes me want to say goodbye to Vinny. i don't like mtl. i don't want them to have anything they might want. i don't want vinny to go anywhere. if this happens, i just might cry. they give away Modin, Boyle, Richy, and Vinny? seriously i would not like Tampa for a very long time if the ladder one does happen. im greedy maybe, or something, whatever. i dont care about better defensmen or cap reasons. i pray he stays here

Old
03-24-2009, 01:18 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post
i didn't read this whole read, because i couldn't stand it im sure. payer i get to attached to players, but i dont want anythin mtl has to give us that makes me want to say goodbye to Vinny. i don't like mtl. i don't want them to have anything they might want. i don't want vinny to go anywhere. if this happens, i just might cry. they give away Modin, Boyle, Richy, and Vinny? seriously i would not like Tampa for a very long time if the ladder one does happen. im greedy maybe, or something, whatever. i dont care about better defensmen or cap reasons. i pray he stays here
I understood trading Richie, and we got a solid return for it. Boyle's trade was an abomination however. If we trade Vinny, we better get something substantial in return.

Old
03-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

I failed to mention in my last post that we'd have to wait another 2-3 years before seeing McDonagh as he is now wrapping up his college sophomore year. Won't be able to talk him out of leaving early as Wisconsin is on a tear now, the Badgers will no doubt be a major force in the WCHA next year, and even if coaxing him to leave after his Jr. year, he'd still need a season with the Admirals... thus 2-3 years away, plus signing him.

Realistically

In 2009 - 2010 - The Habs have around 24 million already committed to payroll not including the following Free agents

Tanguay, (Kovalev, Lang, Bouillon, Dandenault, Schneider, Brisbois, and Koivu - Noticed these players weren't on Partisan's 09-10 roster - you'd really not re-sign your captain?), Higgins and Plekanec (both are arbitration eligible RFA's), Kostopolous, Latendresse (RFA), D'Agostini (RFA), Stewart, Komisarek (Big pay raise coming), and Henry.

If this deal got done, roughly 4.7 comes off your books and added to the Lightning's. So you have around 20 to start, not including Lecavalier yet.

Those you left off (Kovalev, Koivu, et al) aside, adding Lecavalier's contract (10 million cap hit) plus the 20 you have committed brings you to 30, and adding in reasonable signing figures for those you'd envision on next season's roster brings it just over 52.5 million give or take. Still under the cap but what would you do the following season if the cap rolls back say 6 million? Price, Lapierre, and Halak are up. What if some of those re-signings are one year deals? Cap goes down to 50-51 million (better hope no less than that) in 2010-2011, you'll have to explore moving yet another player or more to make room.

So what I'm saying is, both franchises would ultimately be sacrificing their immediate future. Are they both willing to do that?

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-24-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old
03-24-2009, 02:20 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Playing along

It would have to include the Brothers, McDonagh, Chipchura, and a first in this year's draft. I wasn't knocking Chipchura with the Nabisco thing... that was just too easy.

Weber is unfortunately too small for where I think the defensive scheme is going. Promising offensively I'm sure, but we have Murphy who's that size and could possibly be adding Ellis to the mix with one of the countless scenario's that could play out between now and the draft. The Brothers would come close to Lecavalier's numbers on average, but outside of the folks on this board not too many people will recognize them and they'd have to produce, like immediately, for this management to come close to breaking even from the PR nightmare.

Yemelin has too much baggage from what I understand. McDonagh would be an excellent addition and fits the mold. A year in Norfolk and with potential re-adjustment, could knock on the door for the 5/6 slot and work his way up quickly. Chipchura will be a great player to have, and although I was joking, it's possible that he could play on a line with Szczechura to the likings of a shut down line we haven't seen here since Zamuner/Andersson.
So we have :

S. Kostitsyn
A. Kostitsyn
K. Chipchura
R. McDonagh
1st round pick in 2009

FOR

V. Lecavalier

It's honestly a pretty good offer. If I'm the Habs GM, I'll probably try to get another player from TB to add in the mix, probably a winger. What about Artyukhin? Any other suggestion?

If not, then remove Chipchura, and add a 2nd round pick from Montreal, and it's a done deal!

Old
03-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
So we have :

S. Kostitsyn
A. Kostitsyn
K. Chipchura
R. McDonagh
1st round pick in 2009

FOR

V. Lecavalier

It's honestly a pretty good offer. If I'm the Habs GM, I'll probably try to get another player from TB to add in the mix, probably a winger. What about Artyukhin? Any other suggestion?

If not, then remove Chipchura, and add a 2nd round pick from Montreal, and it's a done deal!
I was talking about it with Patrick last night and basically said the exact same proposal that you did here, I think that Chipchura is a player I would definitely want in the deal myself.

Old
03-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post

i guess im greedy too, I don't want to see him go, specially because our dumb gm will not get anything close to his value.

Old
03-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I like how we blame Habs fans from posting these kind of suggestions and rumours from crappy sources yet do it ourselves then

03-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I like how we blame Habs fans from posting these kind of suggestions and rumours from crappy sources yet do it ourselves then
It has come up too many times not to be valid. We have always seen the Montreal media wanting Lecavalier so bad, but now I really think their may be some validity to these rumors... Montreal is in a position where they could take on Lecavalier and NOT send salary back, we would be getting back only picks and prospects (or the chance of Markov) which would be way more appealing as they are trying to cut salary. Usually I discredit these rumors but with Montreal losing the way they are, with the amount of free agents they have this summer, I think they are in a very good position to make a proposal that Lawton has to think long and hard about.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:01 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm gonna say it right now, this only happens if we draft Hedman or get Markov in the trade. Right now, either one of those happening is at the very best a 50/50 shot.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
It has come up too many times not to be valid. We have always seen the Montreal media wanting Lecavalier so bad, but now I really think their may be some validity to these rumors... Montreal is in a position where they could take on Lecavalier and NOT send salary back, we would be getting back only picks and prospects (or the chance of Markov) which would be way more appealing as they are trying to cut salary. Usually I discredit these rumors but with Montreal losing the way they are, with the amount of free agents they have this summer, I think they are in a very good position to make a proposal that Lawton has to think long and hard about.
Aye fair points, I just referred to an earlier article by Brooks where him as a source was questioned.

Old
03-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Jon Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Not so much...this is why the remaining games are so important to what direction we are going to go in the offseason.

Let me try to break this down a bit.

On the defensive side, this is what we look like for next year.

Under Contract (And my guess of where they will end up.)
Ranger-TBL
Meszaros-TBL
Wishart-Nor
Mihalik-Nor
Quick-Nor

RFA
Lundin-TBL
Smaby-TBL
Krajicek-Trade
Welch-Nor/not brought back.
Lashoff-Nor/TBL First call up.

UFA
Murphy-TBL
Malik-Retirement home
Petiot-Norfolk/not retained.
Melichar-Norfolk/not retained.

So, our top 6 looks like this:

Ranger-Meszaros
Murphy-Smaby
Lundin-Hedman/Lashoff

If we draft Hedman, he automatically goes into our top 6, pushing Lashoff to the first call up. So for all the talk of HAVING to get a dman, I just dont see where we are going to put said dman, especially if we get our guy in the draft. This is why its hard to really say what is going to happen to this team until we see where we finish in the standings.
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy ... Now this looks mighty familiar!

Where'd you get this intricate analysis from???

On a Vinny deal, anyone discounting it as a possibility until the NMC kicks in has no idea what they're talking about. That's the sad truth.

Still, and I can't possibly say it enough, no matter what happens, July 1st hurry the hell up!!!

Either way, at that point, we can at least stop talking about Vinny and trades for a loooooong time thereafter.

JJ

Old
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofbor44 View Post
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy ... Now this looks mighty familiar!

Where'd you get this intricate analysis from???

On a Vinny deal, anyone discounting it as a possibility until the NMC kicks in has no idea what they're talking about. That's the sad truth.

Still, and I can't possibly say it enough, no matter what happens, July 1st hurry the hell up!!!

Either way, at that point, we can at least stop talking about Vinny and trades for a loooooong time thereafter.

JJ
I wish I would have kept the notes, you know how hard that was to do from memory.

Old
03-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Jon Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
I wish I would have kept the notes, you know how hard that was to do from memory.
Better that way. Yours looked neat. My notes are always gobbledygook.

JJ

Old
03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
brymel
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe I would be more likely to believe he was being traded, if it wasn't always Montreal that was getting him. Two things make me question whether that would happen. A. I don't think he would choose to live under that microscope, and B. isnt their tax base ridiculous? Wouldn't he pay a fortune in taxes to play there? I might be wrong, but I swear I have heard that. I know they want him, but that doesn't mean they have to get him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded, I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't fall over from the schock of it...

Old
03-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymel View Post
Maybe I would be more likely to believe he was being traded, if it wasn't always Montreal that was getting him. Two things make me question whether that would happen. A. I don't think he would choose to live under that microscope, and B. isnt their tax base ridiculous? Wouldn't he pay a fortune in taxes to play there? I might be wrong, but I swear I have heard that. I know they want him, but that doesn't mean they have to get him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded, I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't fall over from the schock of it...
Well to be frank, with the recent tax hike sent by Obama, it would be about the same now.....

As for the microscope, you have to remember for him its home........I love Vinny, but I'm a realist, i would understand why he would want to play there.

Old
03-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Well to be frank, with the recent tax hike sent by Obama, it would be about the same now.....
If he'd take less than $200-250K a year, he wouldn't have to deal with a tax hike.

Yes, league minimum is more than 2x that amount.

Old
03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

I just realized we will be in Montreal tomorrow facing the habs. Perfect timing to hopefully clear up some things.

Old
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
TBFan

Quote:
i would understand why he would want to play there.
I think majority of the people would understand as well. Heck, he even played his own hero in a movie.

Old
03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Untamable

Quote:

As for the microscope, you have to remember for him its home........I love Vinny, but I'm a realist, i would understand why he would want to play there.
He, himself, has said there is too much pressure and scrutiny in Montreal.

Old
03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:

Actually he calls Tampa home more than he does Montreal - he doesn't care for it except during summertime. His parents actually moved down here for most of the year, too.

Old
03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Untamable

He doesnt even own a home in Montreal. He rents. He said he plans on buying a home there, possibly this summer, but currently the only home he owns is in Florida.

Old
03-25-2009, 09:17 PM
OptimismRestrainer

I refuse to contribute to this thread. I've grown way ****ing tired of it honestly.

Old
03-26-2009, 06:22 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamable View Post
He doesnt even own a home in Montreal. He rents. He said he plans on buying a home there, possibly this summer, but currently the only home he owns is in Florida.
Vinny is buying a home in Montreal?!? ZOMG! Any sign of red and blue gloves?

Closed Thread