HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Presse: Habs may be for sale

Old
03-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
I really don't want to get some horrible idiotic French owner who cares only about what language our staff speaks.

Please don't sell, Georgie.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
grrrreg
Soft European

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I love how "Looking to see what options he has" means Habs for sale. Sure it's 1 of the scenario, but seems to me that there are 1000 scenarios possible.
Exactly. And I love how on the front page, the RDS headline is "Le Canadien sur le marché", but on the article page, the headline changes to "Le CH sur le marché?" with a nice "?" that they omitted on the front page.

edit: they just changed it.

grrrreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
smon

Quote:
Montreal Canadiens owner George Gillett is considering putting the team up for sale, La Presse reported on Monday.

Citing Canadiens president Pierre Boivin as its source, the Montreal newspaper reports that Gillett has hired BMO Capital Markets to examine the American businessman's options for selling his various assets, including the NHL team, the Bell Centre and the Gillett Entertainment Group.

Gillett, 70, is also a co-owner of English Premier League soccer team Liverpool, as well as a NASCAR team.

"The process has been started but we're only at the beginning," La Press quoted Boivin as saying.

"We're not hiding it; we're going through a very difficult economic period," he added.

In October, Forbes estimated the value of the Canadiens at $334 million US — third highest in the NHL behind the Toronto Maple Leafs ($448 million) and New York Rangers ($411 million).
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...iens-sale.html

So Boivin is admitting it? Well, if this is the case then Gillett desperately needs playoff revenue - lends some credence to the rumour that he leaned on Gainey to fire Carbonneau.

If you follow Habsinsideout Mike Boone has been hinting at Gillett's finances for quite some time. The guy is highly leveraged, and in addition to other ventures, he owns a chain of car dealerships... it's not rocket science to figure out they are not doing well in today's economy.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Guy Laliberté or Balsillie

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm thinking we want to take the mafia presence away from the players...
Saputo is a legit business man if you dont know by now....no need for the ''italians are all mobsters'' sterostype. Saputo owns countless legit businesses and property and is in the top 10 richest men in canada.

Last edited by Santino: 03-23-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
Probably. I don't think Desmarais is much for media attention.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:47 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
Good ones. I wonder if GB will allow this

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Good ones. I wonder if GB will allow this
No problem.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Rejean Tremblay talked at length about that this morning and this isn't the Canadiens up for sale at all. Gillett has that studying process running for pretty much everything he owns. Once all the information comes in, he will see what would be more profitable to him. But how many newspapers would that information sell? Better say that the habs are for sale.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I love how "Looking to see what options he has" means Habs for sale. Sure it's 1 of the scenario, but seems to me that there are 1000 scenarios possible.

Canadiens not for sale – Gillett
posted by Dave Stubbs at 23h02 EST on Dec 4

http://habsinsideout.com/main/12051

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
ranold26
Registered Loser

looks legit, and numerous agencies are now picking it up... CBC, RDS, TSN and GandM etc

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Artyukhin*

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...obeSports/home
“Never, ever, whether in the past or now, have we considered selling or maintained in discussions about selling the team,” Gillett, who also co-owns the Liverpool soccer club with Dallas Stars owner Tom Hicks, said. “In this centennial year, as we prepare to introduce the All-Star Game and we have the best supporters in the world and an extraordinary team, I do not know why anyone would invent such a story.”

Old
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Artyukhin*

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...504/story.html

Yesterday, Gillett floated the idea that he might be willing to entertain partnerships at some time in the future.

"We have received many inquiries over the years regarding a possible sale (of the Canadiens). We have never entertained any of them," he said.

"We have thought on several occasions of trying to create a way that we might create ... an investment strip that might enable fans or interested parties in investing in one or more of our sports properties.

"I presume that we will continue that process on occasion in the future."

Old
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Stiffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...obeSports/home
“Never, ever, whether in the past or now, have we considered selling or maintained in discussions about selling the team,” Gillett, who also co-owns the Liverpool soccer club with Dallas Stars owner Tom Hicks, said. “In this centennial year, as we prepare to introduce the All-Star Game and we have the best supporters in the world and an extraordinary team, I do not know why anyone would invent such a story.”
I don't want to back up the idea that the habs are for sale, but there has been quite a strong recession between that article and now. Things could definitely have changed.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
Rejean Tremblay talked at length about that this morning and this isn't the Canadiens up for sale at all. Gillett has that studying process running for pretty much everything he owns. Once all the information comes in, he will see what would be more profitable to him. But how many newspapers would that information sell? Better say that the habs are for sale.

well if Rejaune said it, it must be true.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Kafka

old source from Globe and Mail: http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...rtsHockey/home

Gillett loaded his credit card to get everything he now owns. Recently, to finance that, he boroad in November (just after the financial crush) over 75 M$ (that could be at a rate interest of 19%!!!).

Gillett is also in the car selling business... just to tell you how big his problems are currently.

So to reimbourse everything, he will need to sell what has some value... to someone with big pockets. Laliberté and René Angelil are among the richest Quebecers (in fact, Laliberté has over a billion dollar). They could be interested in buying not only the team, but also the Bell Center. Both could produce shows and maybe the government could accept the hippoclub to move to the Bell Center to please one of the owner.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:24 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Seems pretty simple to me. Any smart businessman in this economic climate needs to do this...With so much economic uncertainty it's important to examine your assets and evaluate your options. When you are highly leveraged like Glillet is, you got to protect your own ass.

I'm sure he would prefer NOT to sell the team. But you also need to look at what your assets are worth in case you run into trouble and have no choice. The Canadiens are worth a ton of money and aren't going to be difficult to sell. With the economy the way it is, it's good to know you're sitting on a cash cow that you can liquidate pretty quickly, if the need arises.

In my line of work, I'm seeing a lot of that now. I have clients (not really MY clients, but since I'm a trainee, I get clients loaned to me from other people here, like Markov! ) who have been in business for many years and are all looking to see what their businesses and investments are worth. People are very conservative nowadays and most people, especially older people, are looking to keep their money safe as a priority. This includes selling off assets and just keeping they money in safe investments like GICs. These crappy GICs making like 1.5% interest are selling like hotcakes...Nobody wants to take a risk anymore.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Stiffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
well if Rejaune said it, it must be true.
Whether you agree with his opinions or not, and I don't, he still is a journalist and talked to Pierre Boivin directly about it. There is a difference between the journalist and the individual.

Old
03-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Seems pretty simple to me. Any smart businessman in this economic climate needs to do this...With so much economic uncertainty it's important to examine your assets and evaluate your options. When you are highly leveraged like Glillet is, you got to protect your own ass.

I'm sure he would prefer NOT to sell the team. But you also need to look at what your assets are worth in case you run into trouble and have no choice. The Canadiens are worth a ton of money and aren't going to be difficult to sell. With the economy the way it is, it's good to know you're sitting on a cash cow that you can liquidate pretty quickly, if the need arises.

In my line of work, I'm seeing a lot of that now. I have clients (not really MY clients, but since I'm a trainee, I get clients loaned to me from other people here, like Markov! ) who have been in business for many years and are all looking to see what their businesses and investments are worth. People are very conservative nowadays and most people, especially older people, are looking to keep their money safe as a priority. This includes selling off assets and just keeping they money in safe investments like GICs. These crappy GICs making like 1.5% interest are selling like hotcakes...Nobody wants to take a risk anymore.
And there has never been a better time to invest! Just this year, I made 3K playing with 10K. 30% in 3 months. There are companies paying 20% of dividend a year.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Artyukhin*

i just called a physic

he said he feels that the Habs will be sold to Steve Begin

Old
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Yeah, that way we can run a professional hockey franchise in one of the biggest market via hfboards polls...
Sounds good. All deals would depend on the servers on HF not blowing up on Trade day.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Habsfan18

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2723...s=topStory_nhl

Quote:
The newspaper, citing Canadiens president Pierre Boivin, reported on Monday owner George Gillett is considering options for many of his assets, including the legendary franchise.

"We're not hiding it; we're going through a very difficult economic period," Boivin is quoted as saying in La Presse.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
he will never buy the Habs
i know he wouldnt lol just saying. he can afford it, might be a good investment for him

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Just a Réjean Tremblay's fantasy since he hates Gillett so much, he's trying everything he can to try to make some of our richest Quebecers to make a move so Gillett might be tempted in selling. Unfortunately for him, the already names Quebecers will decline being interested so we'll be "stuck" with Gillett for years to come.

Good try Réjean though. Better luck next time.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
habsrock76

I understand the tough times the economy is going through right now, but it makes no sense for him to sell this team. I would assume he would liquidate all other assests before he sells this cash cow. Not to mention he's a great owner for the fans considering he repects & understands the history of the team and spends to cap limit every year. On top of that he built a state of the art practice facility for the team.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote