HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Sauer recalled from Hartford - First Game Impressions Here

Old
03-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Absolutely deserved by Sauer! He's been amazing the last few weeks. We'll miss him.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Absolutely deserved by Sauer! He's been amazing the last few weeks. We'll miss him.
Read somewhere he has been hitting everything in site?

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
Read somewhere he has been hitting everything in site?
Well, I don't know about everything in site, but he's playing really, really well as of late on both sides.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
Not sure that attack was warranted, I think he was just happy for Sauer... After all, hes come back from a string of injuries and played well in Hartford... Who wouldn't want him to do really well right now? Who knows if he could cement a spot for next year or any time down the road, but at least we can hope, right?
I am happy for Sauer, but he is not going to be a dominant player out of the box some people believe or just hope for.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:14 AM
NYROrtsFan

I don't think one person here thinks that Sauer is going to be dominant at all. Even if he played as well as Girardi did a couple years back when he was first up, that would be huge.

NYROrtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
TomLaidlaw

Good for Sauer, well deserved promotion. Unfortunately the kid is getting thrown right into the middle of a playoff run. I am guessing he is gonna be paired with Mara.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This is probably Shoney's call more than anyone since he handles the Defense and he knows the kids much better than anyone, including Torts.
You are probably right, and I'm sure the staff in Hartford had some input as well.

Schoenfeld can actually be a big factor in this move working out. Hartford played Renney's still, true, but I'm sure Schoenfeld put his own mark on the team while he was coach and GM. I'd bet that Schoenfeld probably coached the Hartford D in a similar style to what he is currently employing in NY. He knows Sauer and he will use him in situations that set him up to succeed, not fail.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Section311

Here are some of the coaches take on rosy and sauer

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007

I have been waiting for this for SO LONG! Sauer has been one of my favourite Rangers prospects ever since he was drafted! I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do at the NHL level.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Garv23

I wish I got to see Wolfpack games. I'd love to know more about these kids. Most of what I know is what I read online.

Is Sauer a big kid? Physical? Offensive minded? D?

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
eco's bones

I think Sauer was the guy to bring up as well. On Potter though--he might not be having a great season in Hartford but I don't think he played badly for the Rangers when he was up. He's still a good prospect in my eyes--it's just that Sauer has passed him by.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
It’s actually one of those good situations you want, where you have players competing for a job, and because of the improved play of one, he surpasses another,” said Schoenfeld, who also runs the defense on the Ranger bench. “We have players there - Corey Potter, Bobby Sanguinetti, Brian Fahey, Vladimir Denisov - and earlier in the year, the pecking order would have been very different and Mike just played better and better and better and it wasn’t a complete surprise because he had a knee reconstruction last year and it oftentimes takes close to a calendar year before you really recover your game. You’re back playing, there’s no pain, not that type of stuff, but until your leg is really firing the way it was before the surgery, it takes sometimes 10 months, and that was sort of the progress he made.

“He just (got) better and better to the point where last month, every report I got and every game I saw, he was the best of a good lot. They’re playing well as a team and he was the best of a good lot of defensemen
Quote:
Sauer is a 6-3, 220-pound righthanded shot who “is pretty much a stay-at-home defenseman who sees the available options for passes and can make a good pass. He’s a vocal defenseman, he really helps his partner with his decision-making. He’s a good skater. He’s strong, he’ll clear the front of the net, but he lately has added an offensive element to his game. We’re not expecting that here. If we get that, it’s a bonus. We want a guy that’s gonna be a sound, strong defender. We feel we have other people who are providing and will continue to provide that offensive element.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...outta-her.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

I have been waiting for this for SO LONG! Sauer has been one of my favourite Rangers prospects ever since he was drafted!
Are you sure? Toronto drafted him.

Old
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I wish I got to see Wolfpack games. I'd love to know more about these kids. Most of what I know is what I read online.

Is Sauer a big kid? Physical? Offensive minded? D?
He's 6'3", 215, I believe, and plays a physical, stay-at-home game (though he's been on a bit of a point scoring streak recently, with 7 points in his last 7 games). He's a good skater, good positionally, sees the ice well and makes a good first pass, and always makes the smart, safe play. He doesn't panic with the puck, is good along the boards, and does a good job in front of his own net (though I think he's had more own goals go in off his legs/skates over the past two years than any other Pack defenseman.) He's a workhorse on the PK, and has a hard, low, accurate shot from the point. He's been an absolutely beast over the past 3 weeks or so, and is far and away the best defenseman in Hartford right now.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Are you sure? Toronto drafted him.
No they didn't. The Rangers did, in the second round, the same year they drafted Staal, with a pick that got from TO in the Leetch deal.

Old
03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He's 6'3", 215, I believe, and plays a physical, stay-at-home game (though he's been on a bit of a point scoring streak recently, with 7 points in his last 7 games). He's a good skater, good positionally, sees the ice well and makes a good first pass, and always makes the smart, safe play. He doesn't panic with the puck, is good along the boards, and does a good job in front of his own net (though I think he's had more own goals go in off his legs/skates over the past two years than any other Pack defenseman.) He's a workhorse on the PK, and has a hard, low, accurate shot from the point. He's been an absolutely beast over the past 3 weeks or so, and is far and away the best defenseman in Hartford right now.
That was my biggest concern for his transition to Torts' system (we all saw how poorly Reitz seemed to do with the change). So Sauer is pretty mobile for a big fellow then?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
94now

Quote:
No they didn't. The Rangers did, in the second round, the same year they drafted Staal, with a pick that got from TO in the Leetch deal.
Ooops, thank you, ma'am

Old
03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
That was my biggest concern for his transition to Torts' system (we all saw how poorly Reitz seemed to do with the change). So Sauer is pretty mobile for a big fellow then?
Mobility's not an issue. It may take him a some games to get fully up to speed at the NHL level, but his skating won't be a problem. People tend to associate "stay-at-home" with "slow" or "can't skate". Not the case here.

Old
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Finally. Been waiting to see the kid for years now.. sad injuries slowed him down...

Hope he does well!

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
Finally. Been waiting to see the kid for years now.. sad injuries slowed him down...

Hope he does well!
This is my only knock against him.

Besides the injuries, he can be an NHL Dman, game is similar to Boston's Mark Stuart -big body, takes the man, solid positioning, some complimentary offense.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post

Hope he does well!
Years?

2 years of playing junior hockey since he was drafted.Second year pro.A handful of players from the 2nd round in 2005 have played in the NHL.His injuries didn't slow him down.

05-06-Portland
06-07-Portland/Medicine Hat
07-08-Hartford
08-09-Hartford

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Osminator

he'll be wearing #56 according to the NYR official website

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:57 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
he'll be wearing #56 according to the NYR official website
Oh just give him the #4 now and get it over with.

Old
03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
hlundqvist30*

Very good. It looked like for a time that he was never going to make it after he hurt himself. Glad he'll be getting a chance now.

Without being an idealist, as we don't know who will pan out and what will happen, but in the future we'll definitely have Staal, Girardi, Rozsival, Redden with the possibility of Mara (and maybe Morris). Add that on to the possibility of Sauer, Potter, Sangs, MDZ, and Kundratek. Where the hell are we going to find the room for all of these guys? It's a great problem to potentially have, of course.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 05:13 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
We got Korpikoski as a pick in the deal as well right?

mattyd99 is online now   Reply With Quote