HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

GREAT article on Bob Gainey

Old
03-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
GREAT article on Bob Gainey

In Bob We Trust.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...GOR23/TPStory/

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:05 PM
GoodKiwi

Great stuff indeed!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Kirk Muller

It is a good read and a good story but honestly with how this has gone down, his patience and calmness doesn't cut it anymore.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Habs

Quote:
"You're in a job where your job is to make decisions," he says, "and you have a decision to make, a decision that you can't turn away from. You can't know whether it will be a good decision or a bad decision over time, but you're paid to make it and you do.
Too bad you never took some of your own advice Bob, and made a decision or two about your team, all year long.

Failing to see the weakness was the defense, and lack of size on the wing, yet hanging on to players for dear life through the deadline .... probably cost us the season and your job.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:56 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
It is a good read and a good story but honestly with how this has gone down, his patience and calmness doesn't cut it anymore.
Any suggestion?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Too bad you never took some of your own advice Bob, and made a decision or two about your team, all year long.

Failing to see the weakness was the defense, and lack of size on the wing, yet hanging on to players for dear life through the deadline .... probably cost us the season and your job.
You're confusing "making a decision" and "making a move"...

Choosing not to "make a move" is a decision in itself!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Mathletic

how come the GREAT articles are the ones always in favor of the Canadiens that offer nothing else than blind faith for the people making decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
You're confusing "making a decision" and "making a move"...

Choosing not to "make a move" is a decision in itself!
sorry, you can't define a positive action by its negative, sight isn't the absence of blindness

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-24-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
sorry, you can't define a positive action by its negative, sight isn't the absence of blindness
Say that in English?

The member I'm quoting says that Gainey should have taken his own advice and made a decision about the team, insinuating that he hasn't made decisions...

I've simply stated that choosing NOT to make a move is a decision and that he's confusing making decisions with making moves...

... or am I not explaining myself clearly enough?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
So you have to make moves to be working and doing something right? The best GMs know that your best moves are the ones you don't make...

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Belso

Interesting story. I like Bob. I liked Carbo too.. But I think Gainey has made a lot of mistakes this seasons. I hope the next 10 games end with the Habs making the play-offs and I hope they start to gain confidence again...

Go Habs Go!!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:00 PM
sampollock

he needs to fix this team, and he knows it,

it has not made the cut, no matter how anyone says it

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
So you have to make moves to be working and doing something right? The best GMs know that your best moves are the ones you don't make...
that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying you can't make a move by not making a move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Say that in English?

The member I'm quoting says that Gainey should have taken his own advice and made a decision about the team, insinuating that he hasn't made decisions...

I've simply stated that choosing NOT to make a move is a decision and that he's confusing making decisions with making moves...

... or am I not explaining myself clearly enough?
sorry I read too quickly I thought you said he made a move by not making a move

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-24-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=Garry Valk;18680099]In Bob We Trust.

Touching story regarding Gainey's personal life - including his mother-in-law.

What the writer seems to have overlooked is the fact that Gainey has been Habs GM for (nearly) 6 years - and - with the exception of the '07-'08 season - an anomoly, Gainey's track record in Montreal has been average at best - in all phases.

His area of greatest promise - the draft - has produced Latendress and Price as headliners.......this organinzation appears to be only slightly better that the Reggie Houle era!

In cities like Boston & Philladelphia - their respective GMs have made greater stides in 2 or 3 years than Gainey has in nearly 6 years in Montreal!

GO HABS GO!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Garry Valk

[QUOTE=ND Irish;18682652]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
In Bob We Trust.
Quote:

Touching story regarding Gainey's personal life - including his mother-in-law.

What the writer seems to have overlooked is the fact that Gainey has been Habs GM for (nearly) 6 years - and - with the exception of the '07-'08 season - an anomoly, Gainey's track record in Montreal has been average at best - in all phases.

His area of greatest promise - the draft - has produced Latendress and Price as headliners.......this organinzation appears to be only slightly better that the Reggie Houle era!

In cities like Boston & Philladelphia - their respective GMs have made greater stides in 2 or 3 years than Gainey has in nearly 6 years in Montreal!

GO HABS GO!
Ah, but you forget: Gainey inherited an absolute mess of a team, without, essentially, anything, and has guided that team into the post-lockout era with a phenomenal cap position and a stockload of prospects.

Boston had Joe Thornton. Philadelphia had many stars.

I don't disagree that this year has been a huge disappointment, but credit where credit is due.

Old
03-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Any suggestion?
Give this team an identity would be a start and then build towards it. Unless we are calling a poor defensivey, weak offensively, passionless, weak, soft, easy to play against team an identity now. When i think of Buffalo, NJ, Calgary, I know what they are trying to be and they bring in players who fit that and get rid of guys who don't fit. They play a system and have coaches that match this mentality. In Montreal its been years of round peg in square hole.

Old
03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Ah, but you forget: Gainey inherited an absolute mess of a team, without, essentially, anything, and has guided that team into the post-lockout era with a phenomenal cap position and a stockload of prospects.

Boston had Joe Thornton. Philadelphia had many stars.

I don't disagree that this year has been a huge disappointment, but credit where credit is due.
Bob inherited a second round playoff team if i am not mistaken.

and frankly, I guess you wouldn't call this team a mess.

Old
03-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Mother Pucker

Quote:

Add to that that he has been riding on Andre Savard's picks like they were his own. And Savard, at the end, was uber pissed because Gainey chose Price over Kopitar.

*Sigh*.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:44 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Add to that that he has been riding on Andre Savard's picks like they were his own. And Savard, at the end, was uber pissed because Gainey chose Price over Kopitar.

*Sigh*.
stop making stuff up. He wanted Brule.

That's not to say that Bob has failed as our GM over six years. This waiting around for prospects to develop over 7 years is so 1970's.

Bob is not fit to be a GM in the NNHL. That much is clear.

That article is nothing more than another suck up to Bob story. He is a great man no doubt and has gone through a lot. He deserves much respect but as a hockey executive, he is no longer capable.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:48 AM
GoodKiwi

It's ironic to see all those who protected this organization no matter what just a month ago turned their options so quickly. Reminds me of a horde of sheep a little bit.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

You mean adding Tanguay and Lang to the team that finished 1st in East last year?..

Last year people we're talking about our Big 3. Comparing it to the best in the league like Nieds/Pronger/Beauchemin.
Some wanted a top4 D during off season, but others like Gainey thought O'Byrne/Gorges could step in as 4th.
His only real mistake was not getting a Point shot on PP, but he did so by getting Schneider.

He couldn't predict his team would collapse starting mid-january and at that point, you already have 10UFAs, most of which you won't resign. It's not the year to trade away prospects and roster players under contract for rentals.
Now you might say that was his own doing, but other than Kosto, there isn't one UFA that proved he deserved to be resigned (Lang too but he's old).
So, it was obvious no big trades would happen at Deadline. There are multiple rumors that he was close to bringing Vinny here and they still persist. We'll see what happens on that front at the end of year.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:32 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:

2nd round playoff team

That team was a joke when it did make the 2nd round and Gainey actually got a team that didn't even make the playoffs, this being the 2002-2003 team that stunk the joint.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
It's ironic to see all those who protected this organization no matter what just a month ago turned their options so quickly. Reminds me of a horde of sheep a little bit.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

imo

An experiment in genetic engineering turns harmless sheep into blood-thirsty killers that terrorize a sprawling New Zealand farm

A lack of experiments in hockey management turns harmless fans into blood-thirsty killers that terrorize the city of Montreal

i'd totally make a movie about that.

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

No, he inhertied a team that had missed the playoffs in 4 of the previous 5 years. He had only Koivu as a top center, he had Zednik as his top winger and Brisebois as his top defenseman . The 2003-2004 season as I recall was the emergence of Ryder and the solid play of Theodore that propelled us to a 93pts season and the playoffs.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
habtastic

Very interesting article, less about the Habs, more about him.
I don't blame Bob for everything, sometimes things just go horribly wrong, and right now he is the scape goat. I do think he should have moved on the deadline, but again, we don't know what the deals were. One thing I didn't like, if it was in the context presented:

"But what's the worst that could happen? I get fired?"

I guess he means, given everything that has happened in his life, getting fired would pale in comparison, but I sure as hell hope he realizes that for all of us Habs fans (or at least I assume), this team is what gives each of us hope, identity and happiness in life and it's not just meh, it's ok if we miss the playoffs/make it being a horrible team. This is very very important to a lot of people. Imagine the pope (no not Burke) saying, so what if I hang out with Paris Hilton (or ftm the Habs' young party animals), what's the worst that could happen, I get canned? I know it sounds like hyperbole, but i'm not in the least bit religious, except for the fact that this team fills that void. Please Bob, do everything you can, and if things are going badly, DO SOMETHING!!! I too am getting tired of the nonchalant attitude. He's a smart guy, but we need to see that he's trying just as much as we need to see it from Koivu and Kovalev.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Very interesting article, less about the Habs, more about him.
I don't blame Bob for everything, sometimes things just go horribly wrong, and right now he is the scape goat. I do think he should have moved on the deadline, but again, we don't know what the deals were. One thing I didn't like, if it was in the context presented:

"But what's the worst that could happen? I get fired?"

I guess he means, given everything that has happened in his life, getting fired would pale in comparison, but I sure as hell hope he realizes that for all of us Habs fans (or at least I assume), this team is what gives each of us hope, identity and happiness in life and it's not just meh, it's ok if we miss the playoffs/make it being a horrible team. This is very very important to a lot of people. Imagine the pope (no not Burke) saying, so what if I hang out with Paris Hilton (or ftm the Habs' young party animals), what's the worst that could happen, I get canned? I know it sounds like hyperbole, but i'm not in the least bit religious, except for the fact that this team fills that void. Please Bob, do everything you can, and if things are going badly, DO SOMETHING!!! I too am getting tired of the nonchalant attitude. He's a smart guy, but we need to see that he's trying just as much as we need to see it from Koivu and Kovalev.
I hope you get hope, happiness and identity from other things too...remember, it is just sports, but I agree. I wear the colours on my sleeve every day. And we'll turn this around. I trust Bob.