HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy - goaltending/assistant coach

Old
03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Patrick Roy - goaltending/assistant coach

Do you guys think that Patrick Roy would accept a position as a goaltending/assistant coach with the team before eventually transitioning into a full time head coach?

Discuss!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I hope he would.
I wouldn't mind seeing Marc Crawford become the coach with Patrick Roy as his assistant. They won a cup together before Crawford decided to move on.

And there wouldn't be a better coach or mentor for Price and Halak than Roy. It's also a great way for Roy to get some NHL experience.

This is actually what I wish to see happen, but things rarely go as we want in Mtl.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Mathletic

I'm not sure if the news came out in montreal but Carbonneau offered him the assistant coach position before hiring Muller. Roy asked for a lot of money and wasn't really interested but never said no. Patrick could eventually go to the Canadiens when his sons are done in the Q.

besides that, get over it with Crawford, people are telling me they don't want a french guy, only the best, if Crawford's the best, let's bring back Carbo.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
I'm not sure if the news came out in montreal but Carbonneau offered him the assistant coach position before hiring Muller. Roy asked for a lot of money and wasn't really interested but never said no. Patrick could eventually go to the Canadiens when his sons are done in the Q.

besides that, get over it with Crawford, people are telling me they don't want a french guy, only the best, if Crawford's the best, let's bring back Carbo.
What i read was something that when Carbo ask Roy if he would be interest he said that it wouldnt give much because Gainey didnt have much to offered and Roy felt offended by that saying he wouldnt be a ''bouche-trou'' because they need someone cheap to hire before someone with experience or qualifications

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
WestIslander

Boivin wants a "French guy" which is useless and stupid!

These so called executives are putting language, culture and politics before winning and that justifies why Boivin shouldn't be the President of the team.

I would love to see:

Bob Gainey - President
Trevor Timmins - General Manager
Julien Brisebois - Assistant General Manager

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
LostMyGlasses*

LOL.

Patrick is rumored to be a "bit" of a control freak for the Ramparts. He is pretty much a one man show who craves the power of management and coaching.

You think he'd leave all that to help Carey Price square up to the shooter a bit better?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Hermamoud

I hope Jonathan Roy could sing the national anthem

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Ego-wise it would surprise me if Roy accepted anything but a front-line role whenever he finds himself ready to move to the NHL.

Past that, I don't really know how he handles his players or anything, but just speculatively I would think he's too volatile/tempermental/impatient for me to want him working with our players in a teaching role. Who knows, though. But my mental image of him would put him in a head coaching role perhaps, where he can direct those fires at the opposition first, not at our own guys exclusively.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:04 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ego-wise it would surprise me if Roy accepted anything but a front-line role whenever he finds himself ready to move to the NHL.
agreed. however I would love for him to come in and teach price how to be a goalie.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Past that, I don't really know how he handles his players or anything, but just speculatively I would think he's too volatile/tempermental/impatient for me to want him working with our players in a teaching role. Who knows, though. But my mental image of him would put him in a head coaching role perhaps, where he can direct those fires at the opposition first, not at our own guys exclusively.
That's why I mentioned Crawford, seeing as they won a cup together. Maybe Roy would agree to assist him the first couple of years.

Maybe Boivin can fire Gainey after and hire Pierre Lacroix too!

Old
03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

These so called executives are putting language, culture and politics before winning and that justifies why Boivin shouldn't be the President of the team.

I would love to see:

Bob Gainey - President
It's far from stupid and useless, it's what made this team what it is, a succesfull franchise with 24 cups. The only forwards showing up these days are Lapierre and Latendresse and all Quebec coaches who were given a chance by the Canadiens are having succesfull careers in the NHL. I understand it doesn't make you happy since yourself are putting politics before winning, right now the team has 3 anglophone coaches and it's doing worse than ever, so ****ing spare me that we put politics first by hiring a quebec coach.

Old
03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Le depisteur

Patrick Roy said this morning on RadioEnergie that Carbo asked him to be his assistant, 3 years ago. He also said he prefers his actual coach job than his GM job, but he added that it could be different in NHL...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
It's far from stupid and useless, it's what made this team what it is, a succesfull franchise with 24 cups. The only forwards showing up these days are Lapierre and Latendresse and all Quebec coaches who were given a chance by the Canadiens are having succesfull careers in the NHL. I understand it doesn't make you happy since yourself are putting politics before winning, right now the team has 3 anglophone coaches and it's doing worse than ever, so ****ing spare me that we put politics first by hiring a quebec coach.
Yea..and there's such a thing as ''living in the past''.
Sure, we have 24Cups, but we have to stop thinking we're living in the same era.
Fact is, we won the cup twice in 29years. That's a better representation of our team.

You say Lappy and Lats are the only one player strong out there?..Well..Kostopoulos has been a warrior from the beginning of the season. Is he Quebec born??..No.
Markov's been our best player all year and is our scoring leader. I think he's russian right?..

But then again, we're talking about COACHES here, not players.
The french coaches that came through here are having success?..you mean like Michel Therrien??..Oh yeah..lots of success.
Julien's team lost 13 of last 20Games and rumors started coming out of him possibly being fired until Chiarelli came out to deny it. Just like Gainey said Carbo was his best move 3weeks prior to firing him.
Vigneault's been in boiling water a number of times in Vancouver as well, but luckily his team is on fire now.

Since you also like to talk about the 24cups. Do you know 8 of those were won under Toe Blake?..Add 3 from Irvin. That's 11 already from anglophone coaches. Even if Bowman was born in Mtl and speaks french, he's mainly an anglophone. That's 16cups all together.

Those times are gone anyways. Right now in the league, there's canadians, french canadians(quebecers), americans, swedes, finnish, Czechs, Slovaks, russians, germans, etc..
Back in the days, it was mainly canadians/americans/quebecers.

We need to get the best coach available, regardless of his native tongue. That's the bottom line.

Old
03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I would love to see:

Bob Gainey - President
Moving Timmins to GM could be a big step backwards. He is good at evaluating young players, but that's only a small part of being an NHL GM in the cap world. Building a team is a much bigger task. Plus by putting him GM we could be weakening our drafting. Sure, he's still see young players, but nowhere near the amount of scouting he does now.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
It's far from stupid and useless, it's what made this team what it is, a succesfull franchise with 24 cups.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but everyone is not entitled to their own facts.

First off how many of those 24 cup winning teams were coached by quebec born pure laine? The majority were won by Blake and Irwin. A few more by Bowman, hardly someone who fits into your scheme of things.

Whether the next coach is from Quebec or from Mars, it means diddly squat to me. Apparently, it means alot to you. No one is saying the next coach has to be Crawford but he should be a possibility; however, when chauvinist statements are made like the one you just made, that takes the prize. Whether a coach is from Quebec or from elsewhere means nothing. Yet a hack like Hartley is touted as the next saviour because he's from Quebec.

Do you understand that or is it too difficulty to wrap your mind around it.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 05:01 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
What i read was something that when Carbo ask Roy if he would be interest he said that it wouldnt give much because Gainey didnt have much to offered and Roy felt offended by that saying he wouldnt be a ''bouche-trou'' because they need someone cheap to hire before someone with experience or qualifications
That's exactly what Roy said. He said that the Habs management wasn't ready to pay the $ to get some legit assistant coaches.

He also said that he would never coach with "Gainey boy" Doug Jarvis. He could very well think the same about Don Lever.

All put together, forget it guys!

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 05:41 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Do you guys think that Patrick Roy would accept a position as a goaltending/assistant coach with the team before eventually transitioning into a full time head coach?

Discuss!
I think it would be a great idea....Roland Melanson biggest weakness is his mental aspect to the game, Roy is the exact opposite. Plus, we have a couple of years to study Roy for future head coach or GM

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
for Christ sake put a "?" in the title man

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Mousepad*

Quote:

These so called executives are putting $$$ before winning and that justifies why Boivin wants a coach that can speak to the media in french
fixed

Mousepad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

Discuss!
St. Patrick for Melanson!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You say Lappy and Lats are the only one player strong out there?..Well..Kostopoulos has been a warrior from the beginning of the season. Is he Quebec born??..No.
Markov's been our best player all year and is our scoring leader. I think he's russian right?..

But then again, we're talking about COACHES here, not players.
The french coaches that came through here are having success?..you mean like Michel Therrien??..Oh yeah..lots of success.
Julien's team lost 13 of last 20Games and rumors started coming out of him possibly being fired until Chiarelli came out to deny it. Just like Gainey said Carbo was his best move 3weeks prior to firing him.
Vigneault's been in boiling water a number of times in Vancouver as well, but luckily his team is on fire now.

Since you also like to talk about the 24cups. Do you know 8 of those were won under Toe Blake?..Add 3 from Irvin. That's 11 already from anglophone coaches. Even if Bowman was born in Mtl and speaks french, he's mainly an anglophone. That's 16cups all together.

Those times are gone anyways. Right now in the league, there's canadians, french canadians(quebecers), americans, swedes, finnish, Czechs, Slovaks, russians, germans, etc..
Back in the days, it was mainly canadians/americans/quebecers.

We need to get the best coach available, regardless of his native tongue. That's the bottom line.
I said forwards, so no-dman to exclude Markov from the bunch, it's all great for Kostopoulos but how many goals has he scored in the later weeks? It's fun that he's giving his all but he's not scoring too many.

Toe Blake spoke french and lived in Quebec.

Right now we have 4 anglophone coaches in montreal and the team is doing worse than ever.

The Ducks won the cup without any european other than Sami Pahlson, so I doubt the game chaged as much as people would like to think it changed.

Last edited by Mathletic: 03-23-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old
03-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but everyone is not entitled to their own facts.

First off how many of those 24 cup winning teams were coached by quebec born pure laine? The majority were won by Blake and Irwin. A few more by Bowman, hardly someone who fits into your scheme of things.

Whether the next coach is from Quebec or from Mars, it means diddly squat to me. Apparently, it means alot to you. No one is saying the next coach has to be Crawford but he should be a possibility; however, when chauvinist statements are made like the one you just made, that takes the prize. Whether a coach is from Quebec or from elsewhere means nothing. Yet a hack like Hartley is touted as the next saviour because he's from Quebec.

Do you understand that or is it too difficulty to wrap your mind around it.
Like I said, Toe Black lived in Quebec and spoke french. So count them yourself how many cups they won without a a coach who didn't speak french. In fact, the few years they had an all anglo coach, gm and president were the worst years ever of the franchise.

Last edited by Mathletic: 03-23-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
habdynasty

The team has not won a cup in 16 years, last time I checked these teams led by french coaches.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
The team has not won a cup in 16 years, last time I checked these teams led by french coaches.
and no core of french players. I doubt the team is going to win the cup this year with 4 anglo coaches and the best of the best players selected by Mr. Timmins himself.

Old
03-23-2009, 08:29 PM
habdynasty

the team is under the patrick roy curse thanks to a french coach!! guess what no cup for the next 50 years !

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote