HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Lou Lamoriello losing his touch?

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Hellsempire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
when you win the cup and get zach parise in the same year...you're not losing your touch

This explains it all to the best GM in the league and maybe all sports... Lou knows what he is doing even though I do not agree on all his moves in the past but hey 3 SC's in 9 years is not bad. This is really a ridiculious thread as Lou is not losing touch...

I for one would love to have Petr Sykora, Jason Arnott, Alexander Mogilny and Joe Nieuwendyk back anyday... But the trades and not signing some of the players back still has won a SC or two for the Devils. They will be defending the cup this playoff season with Stevens and Rafalski back in the line up...

Old
03-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Whoever mentioned him winning a cup and getting Parise, you can thank St.Louis and Kevin Lowe for that. St.Louis messed up with the Stevens thing, allowing the two teams to switch picks, and Lowe wanted to take a chance on Pouliot. Still a good job though.

The Anaheim and Dallas deals got them a cup, but they will lose long term, and winning the cup hasn't got them as much money as it should. That's mainly because of low attendence in the playoffs and now, which is nearly out of Lou's control.

In the Dallas deal, he'll have Langenbrunner to show for Arnott, McKay(useless), and a 1st rounder(maybe 2nd, not sure). In the Anaheim deal, he'll have Friesen(if qualified) and Balmochynk to show for Sykora, Commodore, Damphouse(Commodore and Damphousse could've got them Niedermayer) and Pohanka. They'll lose long-term, but rookies like Parise and Suglubov will make up for that.

Free Agents are his only problem, and have been for a while. Giving up Morrison for Almo only to lose Almo hurts, as well as giving up Arnott for Nieuwendyk only to lose Joe. Their biggest hurt IMO this season is the 2nd line center, and Nieuwy would've solved that. He also has turned away key players after cup wins(see Almo, Nieuwy, Conn Smythe winner Claude Lemieux, etc.), which has hurt. But, all in all, the Devils have been successful, and he's the reason for that.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Yeah, if that is the case, it's still better than sucking for 29 YEARS, right pal? The Devils have played in 3 of the last 4 Stanley Cup Finals, so your comment is unfounded.

The Devils have won the three Stanley Cups over the last nine seasons while having payrolls of $52.4 million (8th out of 30) in 2003, $31.3 m. (15th out of 28) in 2000 and $16.5 m. (10th out of 26). Lou Lamoriello has done a lot with a fairly small budget. The Devils biggest revenue problem is lack of luxury boxes at Continental Airlines Arena. It was built in the early 1980's when arena/stadium builders didn't do it. The new Newark Arena (planned for a July 2007 open) will correct that problem.

New Jersey is a small market. The team plays five miles away from an "original six" team. The Islanders were also winning Stanley Cups as the franchise arrived from Colorado. To top matters, Philadelphia claims parts of Southern New Jersey as part of its suburbs. A lot of diehard hockey fans had a team to cheer for, and I can't blame them for not switching because I wouldn't change if (hypothetically) a team moved to an arena closer to my home.

Great post and oh so true! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
03-16-2004, 10:41 PM
gmdevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
The Anaheim and Dallas deals got them a cup, but they will lose long term...
Now don't take this personally, but if I was king of the universe and I offered you the opportunity to give the Devils Sykora back in exchange for the cup last year, would you take it? The cup is the ultimate prize and I don't think that its possible to lose in the long term when you make a deal that wins you a cup.

Old
03-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Vanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdevils
Stephen...

First of all you should understand that the responses to your question are bound to be a little bit curt, because as a group, Devils fans don't deal well with criticism. This isn't a reflection of the people who make up this group, as if you wander over to the Devils board you'll see that for the most part we are relatively calm, rational and pleasant to talk to. Its just that for years we've heard nothing but "the Devils play boring hockey" and "they're a pathetic organization, they can't even sell out their building in first round playoff games". So when someone criticizes the man who's brought us 3 cups in 10 years, we get a little bit testy. I don't personally think that Lou is losing it, I think (hope) that he is planning on being the GM of this team for another 5-10 years, and is looking that far into the future with all of the moves that he makes. When the Devils traded away Arnott for Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner and subsequently lost in the 1st round, I thought that he'd lost his touch, but then he went and made further moves to bring Friesen here for Sykora and without Langenbrunner and Friesen we wouldn't have won the cup last year. So I guess that my point is that with Lou you can't always judge his moves right away. They often have to be looked at with more of a big-picture point of view. What keeps me excited to be a Devils fan right now is that we've got David Hale and Paul Martin playing a full year in the Devils system for the big club. That is a huge deal, normally rookies have to earn their stripes with the farm team before getting an opportunity with the big club. We also have Zach Parise, who IMO would be a top 10 pick any normal draft year, and didn't have to give up any major pieces to get him. And with David Conte running the drafting machine, I can rest assured that the farm team will continue to be replenished each year to keep the system moving ahead. I really believe that its all a system that Lou has set up, and the objective is to keep a competitive team year in and year out, while keeping a relatively low payroll.

Very well said, I agree 100% -- except for one thing: It's three Cups in nine years. :p

Old
03-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Now don't take this personally, but if I was king of the universe and I offered you the opportunity to give the Devils Sykora back in exchange for the cup last year, would you take it? The cup is the ultimate prize and I don't think that its possible to lose in the long term when you make a deal that wins you a cup.
so true. look at the rangers. they traded amonte for noonan and matteau in '94 and went on to win the cup. even though amonte went on to have some BIG years in the late 90s, i don't think the rangers regret that deal one bit.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Amen.

Closed Thread