HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Goalie Tips

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
  #1
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate
 
Allen Degenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Country: Albania
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 938
New Goalie Tips

I needed some new wheels for my skates today, so I went with the shop and walked out with a new set of goalie pads. I've never played before, but I'd like to start out in a butterfly style.
Any tips on technique/exercises I can do to improve recovery time?

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
  #2
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
drop down in butterfly and pop up. you dont have to be on the ice/whatever you play roller on to do it. just put your pads on, drop to butterfly and pop up

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 09:39 AM
  #3
Hamilton35
Registered User
 
Hamilton35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
To start, make sure you arent falling. Stay in control when you go down. Keep your butt straight. This will keep you tall. Knees are down, everything else is essentially straight. For a butterfly I am sure you can find a million websites.

For easiest recovery, from what I have seen from coahcing at camps, go one leg at a time. Preferrably your glove leg. As a new goalie you wont have much body control yet, so raise the glove leg then your stick leg. This should help keep your stick on the ground/ice. To help with balance, put some pressure on your stick, but not too much that you are leaning.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
  #4
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Before you start practicing make sure you've got pads made for a butterfly goalie. Girl I know made that mistake -- there wasn't enough padding on the inside of the knee to protect her when she goes down to block a shot. I think she opted to play as a standup goalie rather than to return/exchange the pads.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:38 PM
  #5
the_pen_is_mightier
 
the_pen_is_mightier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton35 View Post
To start, make sure you arent falling. Stay in control when you go down. Keep your butt straight. This will keep you tall. Knees are down, everything else is essentially straight. For a butterfly I am sure you can find a million websites.

For easiest recovery, from what I have seen from coahcing at camps, go one leg at a time. Preferrably your glove leg. As a new goalie you wont have much body control yet, so raise the glove leg then your stick leg. This should help keep your stick on the ground/ice. To help with balance, put some pressure on your stick, but not too much that you are leaning.
I have to disagree with this. The leg that you recover with is based on which way the play is going. If the play moves to your left, pull your right leg under you, and push off it to your left. This would also allow you to butterfly slide, if need be (if you're on ice - not sure how this works in roller). By doing this, you are recovering and repositioning yourself in one fluid motion.

I agree that you do not drop or "fall" into the butterfly. Keep your head up and chest facing foward as you drive your knees to the ground/ice. Watch a good goalie making a butterfly - from the ready position to when they're actually in a butterfly, their torso and head barely move.

Also, try to keep your weight on your knees once the move is executed. I've seen many new goalies almost sit when in the butterfly, which leads to poor recovery and makes them smaller in net. It also creates holes along the ice.

Good luck!

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 03:54 PM
  #6
Hamilton35
Registered User
 
Hamilton35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier View Post
I have to disagree with this. The leg that you recover with is based on which way the play is going. If the play moves to your left, pull your right leg under you, and push off it to your left. This would also allow you to butterfly slide, if need be (if you're on ice - not sure how this works in roller). By doing this, you are recovering and repositioning yourself in one fluid motion.

I agree that you do not drop or "fall" into the butterfly. Keep your head up and chest facing foward as you drive your knees to the ground/ice. Watch a good goalie making a butterfly - from the ready position to when they're actually in a butterfly, their torso and head barely move.

Also, try to keep your weight on your knees once the move is executed. I've seen many new goalies almost sit when in the butterfly, which leads to poor recovery and makes them smaller in net. It also creates holes along the ice.

Good luck!
For beginners, I find its much easier to worry about a proper recovery and then move, then get them to try to get up and position all at once. Too much too soon.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
  #7
the_pen_is_mightier
 
the_pen_is_mightier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
^ To each his own, but personally, I'm a believer in teaching proper recovery from the get-go - prevents developing bad habits IMO.

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
  #8
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Before you start practicing make sure you've got pads made for a butterfly goalie. Girl I know made that mistake -- there wasn't enough padding on the inside of the knee to protect her when she goes down to block a shot. I think she opted to play as a standup goalie rather than to return/exchange the pads.
Tell the girl that she can have stacks and boards installed in her current pads that will help her with butterfly. loads of people do this, Brodeur uses a stand up pad that has stacks added for his hybrid style of play.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:55 PM
  #9
densetsu
 
densetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton35 View Post
For beginners, I find its much easier to worry about a proper recovery and then move, then get them to try to get up and position all at once. Too much too soon.
At the least, they shouldn't use one leg for recovery every time. I did that when I first started out, and since I solely recovered using my right leg, my left leg was significantly weaker. When I started to get into more intermediate recovery techniques, this was a big detriment. My slides were suffering as well.

Give both legs a workout, then later on it won't bite you in the butt.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
  #10
Hamilton35
Registered User
 
Hamilton35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
At the least, they shouldn't use one leg for recovery every time. I did that when I first started out, and since I solely recovered using my right leg, my left leg was significantly weaker. When I started to get into more intermediate recovery techniques, this was a big detriment. My slides were suffering as well.

Give both legs a workout, then later on it won't bite you in the butt.

As long as he does it properly.

Must be a mean bad habit if you cant get out of it. I am guessing you can only slide one way properly?

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
  #11
densetsu
 
densetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton35 View Post
As long as he does it properly.

Must be a mean bad habit if you cant get out of it. I am guessing you can only slide one way properly?
Huh? I'm fine now.
Quote:
When I started to get into more intermediate recovery techniques, this was a big detriment. My slides were suffering as well.
Was, were = past tense.

e.g. Hiroshima was bombed and hundreds of thousands were killed one day in 1945. This does not imply that Hiroshima is still being bombed, killing hundreds of thousands of people a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Past_tense

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.