HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky Feels Underappreciated

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2009, 11:15 AM
  #151
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
I don't really feel that Hemmer is whining here. It just sounds to me that he is passionate about playing hockey and wants to be the goto guy like he has in the past.

So he wants to be more offensive? I say great let him be more offensive! The guy is clutch and scores some beauties and as a result is a FAN FAVORITE and puts fans in the seats at Rexall.
Since this keeps getting repeated, I have to ask: what more can they do to bump Hemsky's offense? He's already the team leader in ES and PP TOI.

I suppose they could play him against softer opposition, but he's shown he can play a PvP role, which is something in short supply on this roster. So if he moves to take on crappier opponents, who draws in for him against the good ones?

Little Fury is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
  #152
chucker
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stony Plain
Country: Canada
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
CBA you can not renegotiate a contract or get an extention UNTIL you are in the last year of your current deal, yes it would suck seeing Horc and Penner getting more than Hemmer but his time will come and he will be paid his money, play the living hell out of him show him he is the guy run with him 1st and 4th line RW baby.
Yeah, that was a brilliant move by the owners in the CBA. Guys used to sit out all the time.

I agree we should be double shifting the guy. Get the most out of him. You are also correct that he'll get his due when his contract is up. Of that I have no doubt.

chucker is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
  #153
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Just throwin it out there; a guy who still speaks poor english trying to say the equivalent of "gimme the damn ball, I can do this" perhaps?

And isn't it scarier if he's right? I don't understand how everyone automatically reverts to "he shouldn't say this while playing badly". Why the heck would he say it when playing well and having success? He's suggesting I would assume that this is part of the reason he's struggled offensively compared to earlier in the season.

Didn't some guy that played for the Dallas Cowboys used to say that too?

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
  #154
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt McGirt View Post
i am in no way saying that i love Mac T and want him here forever..... im just saying something like this just makes everyone on here say FIRE MACT!!!! he is the reason the oilers suck and blah blah blah. i am sick of reading the same old crap! he likely will be gone next season when he steps down or gets promoted but it is just not gonna happen this year so if the oil want to win, these "professionals" can start playing like it and win.
And out of all my time here, out of 133 of your posts I'm happy to say putting you on my ignore list causes less

Pressure is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
  #155
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!
 
Not Robin Brownlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
"Post count is not a sign of intillect."

Gem of the day.

that is going above my avatar... classic

Not Robin Brownlee is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
  #156
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Just throwin it out there; a guy who still speaks poor english trying to say the equivalent of "gimme the damn ball, I can do this" perhaps?

And isn't it scarier if he's right? I don't understand how everyone automatically reverts to "he shouldn't say this while playing badly". Why the heck would he say it when playing well and having success? He's suggesting I would assume that this is part of the reason he's struggled offensively compared to earlier in the season.
I do feel there is some chance that he is slightly misquoted or misspoken.

Beyond that...he will have to let his play do the talking from now til' its over.

Everest is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
  #157
chucker
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stony Plain
Country: Canada
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle evan View Post
that is going above my avatar... classic
Intellect. I didn't use the spell check on that one.

chucker is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
  #158
theranfordflop
Registered User
 
theranfordflop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,465
vCash: 500
Bar none, Hemsky has the most leeway of anybody in the league when it comes to playing his own style. He has had free reign from MacTavish to do whatever he wants on the ice his entire career.

Some people here are talking like MacTavish has stifled him? Really? Where have you been the past 7 years? We've seen 7 years of Ales Hemsky NOT being a checker!

Make no mistake this has nothing to do with the role he is being given. MacTavish isn't telling him to do anything different. This has everything to do with MacTavish's decision not to go to him in the shootout, and the slow rise of Gagner as the offensive heart of this team.

theranfordflop is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:25 AM
  #159
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I love Hemsky. He's slumping right now and frustrated. I can respect that from a super competitive guy, but imo he shouldn't be voicing his concerns directly to the press; he should voice them to MacTavish. MacTavish is in the right in this situation; ice time needs to be earned, particularly at this point in the season. Hemsky needs to work himself out of the slump. He needs to do his talking with his actions on the ice to earn more ice time. Some players are motivated by a kick in the #$$ and others with encouragement. Hemmer is simply letting it be known what he needs as motivation--Good for him, but the press is the wrong venue for it.

Hockey Buddha is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
  #160
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton magnet View Post
I don't really feel that Hemmer is whining here. It just sounds to me that he is passionate about playing hockey and wants to be the goto guy like he has in the past.

So he wants to be more offensive? I say great let him be more offensive! The guy is clutch and scores some beauties and as a result is a FAN FAVORITE and puts fans in the seats at Rexall.

Horcoff is overpaid, we all know that. So in order to earn some of his pay he is counted on to be a good defensive forward. Therefore MacT should loosen Hemmers leash and let stonehands Horcoff cover the defensive end.

I don't know about everyone else here but I love watching Hemmer dangle the puck, even if he turns it over.

The only concern I have with his comments is that how will guys like Gags/Cogs/Nils/O'Sully take this? They all want to be offensive weapons too and want to be called upon to make good plays. They might take this as Hemmer being a bit selfish.

That's just silly. Everyone likes to see nice plays. But apparently you're okay with all the turnovers, as long is it's Hemsky making them after a nice rush.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:29 AM
  #161
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Hemmer just wound up putting a whole whack of pressure on himself with his comments, unintentionally or otherwise. I hope he's up to backing them up now.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
  #162
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Didn't some guy that played for the Dallas Cowboys used to say that too?
On the Jets at the time I believe...great title for a book though. Probably sold more copies from the title alone than anything else.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
  #163
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,543
vCash: 1271
You know it is funny that when people have said on here that Mact's coaching style stifles offensive creativity they were always attacked and the retort was always "There is no evidence of this" or "You have nothing to base that on". Now Hemsky of all people publicly states the very same thing and all the Mact backers are dumping all over him.

Hemsky has been terrible defensively the last few games. Mactavish would be right in calling attention to his horrible giveaways. However this team will probably end up with one forward (Hemsky) who breaches the 20 goal plateau this year. We are going nowhere fast if he isnt able to turn his game on soon. We will never be successful with only one 20 goal forward on this team. There have been too many examples of discord between our coach and players over the last few years to ignore them or blame it all on whiney discontented players. There is a problem here. For this statement to come at this time of year is the worst possible scenario. Hemsky just lit the fuse that will dislodge the buddy system for good. I think he has had it with Mactavish. He also sees that there is no where to go and that Mact would probably get extended this summer. He is firing a pre-emptive strike with his comments. Bye Craig.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
  #164
McVespa99
Registered User
 
McVespa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
Leaders don't take their complaints to the media. The dig down deep and step up and perform. If this is a display of Hemsky's leadership then this team is in a world of trouble. As someone else pointed out, worst time in the world to be crying like this, especially from a player that is supposed to be top line talent.

And Jimmi, what I want Ales to do is to shut up and play his ass off at both ends of the ice. If he isn't scoring then he better back checking and preventing goals in our end. That's what winners do.
Leaders do whatever is best for the team. Maybe he feels getting the coach fired is what is best.

McVespa99 is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
  #165
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
No disagreement from me.

I've always said MacTavish coaches "not to lose" hockey which is fine until you run into other teams that are as good defensively AND can score.

While MacT is likely doing the best he can with what he's got, it's the personnel that are the problem.

One 20 goal scorer on a team near the cap is almost funny.
I know you are not necessarily the biggest Souray fan or at least of that signing. But let's not forget that Souray has 21 goals this season. Though your general point still stands.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
  #166
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I know you are not necessarily the biggest Souray fan or at least of that signing. But let's not forget that Souray has 21 goals this season. Though your general point still stands.
I was referring to forwards but didn't make it clear.

And I was a big fan of the Souray signing FTR, but the shoulder issue gave me pause for thought and I believed the Oilers should have done a little more due diligence there.

That's all.

dashingsilverfox* is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
  #167
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
I was referring to forwards but didn't make it clear.

And I was a big fan of the Souray signing FTR, but the shoulder issue gave me pause for thought and I believed the Oilers should have done a little more due diligence there.

That's all.
Fair enough. I just remember when he went down you did not seem to positive about the signing last season.

It was pretty much public record that Souray had surgery on his shoulder at the end of his last season Montreal. I remember the next season posting an online newspaper article about the surgery. So I think they knew going in he had a wonky shoulder that hopefully was fixed from recent surgery.

But as I said your point in general is a good one. A cap team with 1 forward that has 20 goals near the end of the season is not a good thing.

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
  #168
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's a lot of inside knowledge there? Is it based on anything tangible, or is it typical made up BS?

No. I know players here and former NHLers as well. Shocking I know. One would think that a poster with over 17k posts would be the first guy an NHLer would want to be buddies with....

Has there ever been a good NHL player who has specifically said he'd never play for MacT? If not, it's pretty stupid to say he's the reason that this team doesn't attract players.

Wade Reddon, Chris Pronger, Spacek, Peca, Samsonov....there you go. These are soft balls for you. Right over the plate. Like I said; I know active players and retired ones. They all say the same thing. Believe it or don't believe it. I don't care.

Once... one time... at band camp... I met Santa and Jebus and a Ninja and they all told me that if I make **** up about knowing people and being awesome that it will make me look smarter and make people believe me when I rant about all kinds of irrational nonsense and then I'll be like the best guy evar on teh whole innarnats because it will look like I'm friends with everyone and that way nobody ever will question me when I make stuff up and people will ask me for my autograph and maybe want pictures with me but most important nobody will ever figure out that I'm actually just telling lies to support a weak argument instead of actually using facts.

LawnDemon is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
  #169
chucker
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stony Plain
Country: Canada
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post
Once... one time... at band camp... I met Santa and Jebus and a Ninja and they all told me that if I make **** up about knowing people and being awesome that it will make me look smarter and make people believe me when I rant about all kinds of irrational nonsense and then I'll be like the best guy evar on teh whole innarnats because it will look like I'm friends with everyone and that way nobody ever will question me when I make stuff up and people will ask me for my autograph and maybe want pictures with me but most important nobody will ever figure out that I'm actually just telling lies to support a weak argument instead of actually using facts.


You obviously didn't see the part that says I don't care what you think.

chucker is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
  #170
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
On the Jets at the time I believe...great title for a book though. Probably sold more copies from the title alone than anything else.
Looks like that one flew by you, sorry. The answer to the "trick" question is , of course, T.O. (Terell Owens), formerly of the Dallas Cowboys. Quoted probably any given year he played there.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:55 AM
  #171
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,543
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Looks like that one flew by you, sorry. The answer to the "trick" question is , of course, T.O. (Terell Owens), formerly of the Dallas Cowboys. Quoted probably any given year he played there.
Yes because Hemsky is just like Owens.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:55 AM
  #172
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
You could tell this was coming..Hemsky has been slumping lately and his body language on the ice showed it.

I'm glad he left his feelings known...it'll spark him and get him going.

bishop12 is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
  #173
SlowFreshOil*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
It's about time a player threw MacT under the bus. This is further evidence that the players are not happy with this coach.

SlowFreshOil* is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:58 AM
  #174
Scrodo Baggins
Registered User
 
Scrodo Baggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post


You obviously didn't see the part that says I don't care what you think.
If things were as terrible as you make them out to be a change would have been made a long time ago. If you think the 'Old boys club' is bigger than outright defiance by the players towards the coach then you're wrong.

Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Scrodo Baggins is offline  
Old
03-24-2009, 11:58 AM
  #175
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
And BTW MacT had no problem calling out Penner and Nilson in the press...so this is just the same thing....

Hemsky just needs one dangle to get his mojo back...

bishop12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.