HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Brooks VS Torts II be happening soon?

Old
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Could Brooks VS Torts II be happening soon?

Quote:
John Tortorella, take-charge guy, refused to answer questions about becoming the winningest American-born coach in NHL history with 245 when the Rangers defeated the Canadiens in Montreal on Tuesday.

"It's not about me. Don't ask about me," he said repeatedly and dismissively. "It's not about me, don't ask about me."

It's about everybody else, not about Tortorella, the coach was right about that. It's unfortunate he couldn't spare the two minutes to acknowledge that.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03222009...710.htm?page=0

Some harsh words by Brooks there for Torts.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Brooks need to shut the **** up already. Does ANYONE take ANYTHING he says at all seriously at this point? What a joke.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:03 AM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Which "newspaper" does Brooks write for again...??? I forget if it's the Post or the Dnews either way, the fact that he writes for such a joke paper = OWNED.

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
Which "newspaper" does Brooks write for again...??? I forget if it's the Post or the Dnews either way, the fact that he writes for such a joke paper = OWNED.
The fact that people read him and talk about shows nothing but the fact he does his job damn well.

03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The fact that people read him and talk about shows nothing but the fact he does his job damn well.
Exactly, and I hope it is part 2. It will more entertaining

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:07 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03222009...710.htm?page=0

Some harsh words by Brooks there for Torts.
Good article. It's been awhile since I'd agree with him on every single point he makes.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, I guess at this point his job is nothing more than to entertain and agitate. He certainly does do that.

As a professional journalist, he fails.

I also don't like his criteria for establishing an expanded lottery. We're going to give Montreal a chance at the number one overall pick (albeit a slight one) because they're falling apart, one year after winning the East? That doesn't seem logical to me. There's an element of arbitrariness in any type of lottery system, but I don't think what Brooks proposes is any better than what we have. In fact, I don't see anything wrong with what we have.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 03-24-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts and Brooks aren't enemies.Tortorella doesn't like to talk about his personal accomplishments.He constantly is preaching team and isn't going to start talking about his own stuff.Larry was looking for a quote.No big deal.

Larry is the most knowledgable and most clued in reporter/observer to the Rangers scene today.That's a fact whether you like him or not.I happen to like his work very much.Is he annoying sometimes?Sure but he is just doing his job.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, I guess at this point his job is nothing more than to entertain and agitate. He certainly does do that.
So, hes the Sean Avery of journalism?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Did he fail in his job as a professional journalist when he reported the Rangers were going to make a special request for a compensatory pick for Cherepanov or when he reported the Rangers were bringing back Avery or when he wrote Sather should hire Torts to replace Renney but questioned whether or not Sather would be willing to hire a strong personality such as Torts?

Old
03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So, hes the Sean Avery of journalism?
In a way. Though Sean is actually a legitimate hockey player underneath his belligerent exterior, whereas I haven't seen much legitimate journalism from Brooks in quite a while.

Old
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Did he fail in his job as a professional journalist when he reported the Rangers were going to make a special request for a compensatory pick for Cherepanov or when he reported the Rangers were bringing back Avery or when he wrote Sather should hire Torts to replace Renney but questioned whether or not Sather would be willing to hire a strong personality such as Torts?
This.

He's always a good read regardless if you agree or not. It's not like most of the other papers where you basically read the same thing in 5 papers that have a game recap, **** just read the AP generic summary and you'll get next to nothing new from most of the local papers after a game.

p.s. it's kinda like reading rodent after a game, he's whining almost all the time complaining about this or that, but it's pretty insightful stuff and definatly not the generic stuff you see everywhere else.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I'm not a big Brooks fan but I can see why he's annoyed with Torts.
He's a journalist, his job is to ask questions. When Torts meets with the media there is an implicit expectation that the whole purpose of him being there is to answer the questions the media is going to pose to him.

I wasn't there so I don't know the tone of the conversation. Obviously Tortorella doesn't HAVE to answer a question if he doesn't want to but I can see why Brooks would be a little ticked off. It's not as if he was asking Tortorella to give away team strategies or secrets. Torts could have easily just said, "I'm happy I reached this milestone and it speaks to the strength of the organizations that have hired me" and everybody walks away happy.

Brooks' implication that Torts didn't have much of an impact on Tampa's Championship was off-base though.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

You girls and your soap operas........

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Brooks' implication that Torts didn't have much of an impact on Tampa's Championship was off-base though.
Where do you see that?

Old
03-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
In a way. Though Sean is actually a legitimate hockey player underneath his belligerent exterior, whereas I haven't seen much legitimate journalism from Brooks in quite a while.
He reports with the type of insight you rarely see elsewhere in the metropolitan area. Every one of his articles is basically an editorial on the team.

I could see how that possibly rubs some people the wrong way.

Personally, I find Brooks' stuff wildly entertaining.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You girls and your soap operas........
Did you hear Jon and Kate might be breaking up?!

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

brooks is an idiot but torts would be smart to let the media comments roll off his back...name a coach that wins wars with the media in new york?

when this team flounders you're gonna notice the media pounding torts more then they ever did renney...

I'm sure the genius that tortorella is can handle it...
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Did you hear Jon and Kate might be breaking up?!
Yeah I have all the details, i'll pass you a note in gym class.....

Seriously you guys are fed this claptrap and are eating it up.....its showbiz folks !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
On Cherepanov, I will give you that. As far as hiring Torts or bringing back Avery, I don't recall him providing any specific details that weren't reported anywhere else. The possibly of Tortorella replacing Renney and Avery coming back to NY after being shunned by Dallas was widely speculated and covered by various outlets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember anything groundbreaking coming from Brooks on those topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He reports with the type of insight you rarely see elsewhere in the metropolitan area. Every one of his articles is basically an editorial on the team.

I could see how that possibly rubs some people the wrong way.

Personally, I find Brooks' stuff wildly entertaining.
It doesn't rub me the wrong way, really, I just don't care to read scathing editorials from a grumpy old man like Brooks. You're right though, it is entertainment.

Maybe my quip that he hasn't provided any legitimate journalistic contributions for a long time was harsh, but I just don't really see him as a real reporter. He's more like a shock-jock that occasionally reports on some news, IMO.

For news, there are plenty of other places I'd look before Larry Brooks.

Old
03-24-2009, 12:06 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Torts could have easily just said, "I'm happy I reached this milestone and it speaks to the strength of the organizations that have hired me" and everybody walks away happy.
What organization? Rangers did not do much for that number. Bolts might be not his favorite at this time. Why would Torts want to talk about Tampa at Rangers press conf.? No matter how you look at it, the question is a field mine. It is one mastered by Brooks.

Since this thread is already going nowhere, let me ask this board a question. Could Tom Renney win SC should he coached Bolts in 03-04?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Anytime he writes Slap Shots he's a columnist and by definition and expectation is injection his own opinion into the piece.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
This. As long as you give him any attention at all, he's successful in his duties. Kinda like an agitator role on the ice.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Anytime he writes Slap Shots he's a columnist and by definition and expectation is injection his own opinion into the piece.
Are you going to tell me that Brooks confines his personal opinions to Slap Shots?

Old
03-24-2009, 12:17 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Are we really getting high-and-mighty about journalistic integrity at the Post?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote