HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Brooks VS Torts II be happening soon?

Old
03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
This. As long as you give him any attention at all, he's successful in his duties. Kinda like an agitator role on the ice.
Oh so if Brooks gains any attentions he's successful, even though said attention is not warranted by anything resembling journalism? Riiiiiiight. Gee golly gosh he's helping the P{OST sell papers, praise god! He MUST be successful!!! LMFAO jesus christ...

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
otto1219

i stopped reading brooks a long time ago, his articles are poorly written and just silly at times.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
Oh so if Brooks gains any attentions he's successful, even though said attention is not warranted by anything resembling journalism? Riiiiiiight. Gee golly gosh he's helping the P{OST sell papers, praise god! He MUST be successful!!! LMFAO jesus christ...
When you are selling papers, you certainly are important.

But if that's not good enough for you, when you are referenced, a guy garners attention, he's relevant.

03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Fletch

I actually like Brooks, for the most part. It's not easy being right everyday or getting a scoop first. It's also not easy writing something everyday that people will read and make comments in multiple forums.

And I think SBoB is 100% right on this subject, and he's been 100% correct the last 50 times he's thrown his opinion out there on this subject which is simple. He has a job, and that's to get eyeballs to his paper. That is it. That people think he is an idiot means nothing to him. It's about eyeballs and name recognition, even in a negative way because people are still talking about his column and the paper, and people cannot talk about his column, or the paper, without reading it and that's what it's about in that business.

Further, he's not the idiot everybody makes him out to be. Sure we don't agree with everything he say, but to be honest, he's made a lot of good points this season and has dug up some nice stories for us to read that I didn't see in other papers. I buy the Post everyday and have done so for nearly 20 years - and will continue to do so, until they start charging more than $0.50.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I actually like Brooks, for the most part. It's not easy being right everyday or getting a scoop first. It's also not easy writing something everyday that people will read and make comments in multiple forums.
I don't like or dislike him. He's at the very least provocative. And I appreciate the fact that he'll respond to emails that challenge him and other a differing opinion. More than a few guys in papers don't extend that courtesy.

Quote:
Further, he's not the idiot everybody makes him out to be. Sure we don't agree with everything he say, but to be honest, he's made a lot of good points this season and has dug up some nice stories for us to read that I didn't see in other papers. I buy the Post everyday and have done so for nearly 20 years - and will continue to do so, until they start charging more than $0.50.
He's definitely not an idiot. And he does make good points. I tend to find that the "Brooks is an idiot" posts to come out when he offers an opinion that is not necessarily the most popular around here. When he started making a case for Renney's dismissal, he was quoted as gospel. Guess he got it and wasn't an idiot that day.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 06:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Head View Post
I think people need to realize that a writer isn't a "dbag" if he writes something that you don't necessarily agree with.
He's a ********* when I AGREE with him. His opinions don't bother me, it's his presentation.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Brooks need to shut the **** up already. Does ANYONE take ANYTHING he says at all seriously at this point? What a joke.
Does any one take anything seriously printed in the NY Post? The paper is a joke. If you write for a paper that's a joke and every one refers to in the same context as the enquirer and other rags, what's that say about you? If Brooks was a real writer, he'd write for a real journal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
When he started making a case for Renney's dismissal, he was quoted as gospel. Guess he got it and wasn't an idiot that day.
Questioning a coach whom it was obvious to question and who had been questioned, at some time for the past couple years, is hardly provocative or insightful, instead it was stating the obvious and that's something any idiot can do.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Questioning a coach whom it was obvious to question and who had been questioned, at some time for the past couple years, is hardly provocative or insightful, instead it was stating the obvious and that's something any idiot can do.

Basically you're saying he's not an idiot when he writes something you agree with which is what I was saying.

Old
03-24-2009, 07:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Does any one take anything seriously printed in the NY Post? The paper is a joke. If you write for a paper that's a joke and every one refers to in the same context as the enquirer and other rags, what's that say about you? If Brooks was a real writer, he'd write for a real journal.
Its a question of taking things seriously. If people are so convinced that he's an idiot, why do people continue to read him? For that matter, if he's such an idiot, why are people surprised when, in their opinion, he's saying/doing/writing idiotic things.

Old
03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Thank goodness for that. Brooks was one of VERY few who correctly called out Gary Bettman and friends as the d-bags responsible for the lockout. It was really easy to to **** on the players for being greedy and overpaid, but most writers didn't correctly place the blame where it belonged: with the Commish, the owners, and general managers.
I forgot about his tremendous reporting during the lockout. He was one of the only guys I saw out there that actually supported the Union. If you listened to the schills at ESPN, they could get you in a frenzy at how 'greedy' the players were being. But then you can pop over to the Post and Brooks would say, 'hang on a second here, these are billionaires calling millionaires greedy. And the millionaires conceeded a quater of their salary in good faith.' Brooks was the guy who exposed a lot of the franchises for hiding revenues under their umbrella organizations.

And you guys hammering him for exposing emotions... let's not be hypocritical. Dellapina essentially ******** Leetch, calling him the answer to our pp woes while Leetch was sitting at home thinking about skating. 95% of the beat writers backed Renney to the end and in all honesty that was rooted in their affections towards him, not his performance. He always answered questions (kind of), he always treated the guys nicely, and he was generally very likable. That is reporting based on heart, not head. The rodent is sulking because he hated the decision to fire Renney before the end of the season, hates the Prucha trade. So instead of eating crow in his sponsored print, he saves his updates for Ranger losses no matter what he claims otherwise. Carpinella just recently started given Avery any credit, unless you want to count his backhanded compliments prior to Sunday. Even Sam and Joe are reluctant to praise Avery. Brooks is the scapegoat here because he is critical of people instead of just churning out fluff and refusing to fall in line with the NHL PR garbage.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 10:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Its a question of taking things seriously. If people are so convinced that he's an idiot, why do people continue to read him? For that matter, if he's such an idiot, why are people surprised when, in their opinion, he's saying/doing/writing idiotic things.
For the record, I don't think he's an idiot. He seems like a pretty intelligent guy. An arrogant blowhard, but a smart one.

And I'm not surprised to see him acting as such. I don't think anyone really is. If we're going to start a thread with him as the focus, why are you surprised to see people voicing their anti-Brooks sentiment?

Old
03-24-2009, 11:13 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:

To us, Renney deserved to be called into question over that span.

But no one in the mainstream NY media ever dared seriously question Renney the way Brooks did.

And when Renney got fired, who was seemingly the only mainstream journalist to not be a lemming for popular opinion, to not immediately say "Sather ruined this team" or "Sather's clearly more at fault" etc.?

Brooks was the only guy who called it the way it should have been viewed by the rest.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 02:06 AM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
When you are selling papers, you certainly are important.
When you say papers, do you mean that 50 page propaganda leaflet that is the NYPost...oh wait actually they charge you 75 cents for that; could it be a propaganda extortion pamphlet instead???

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
When you say papers, do you mean that 50 page propaganda leaflet that is the NYPost...oh wait actually they charge you 75 cents for that; could it be a propaganda extortion pamphlet instead???
Um ok.

Old
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Fletch

I agree, Singn'...I used to hate him, but it's like a train wreck - you hate to see it, but can't help but look at it. I've learned to appreciate him to the point where I actually like what the guy does, and tries to do. As I mentioned, I buy a 50-page propaganda extortion pamphlet for $0.50 every day (not on weekends because I won't spend the buck) and the first page I turn to is Larry Brooks. I look forward to see what he's going to say, because at the least, his columns stimulate conversation. I don't always agree, heck, I don't always agree with anyone, but he gets us to talk, especially during dull times.

Dutch - you bring up a nice point - the shills at ESPN - perhaps one of the reasons I enjoy reading Brooks is I don't enjoy listening to the personalities on TV. I rarely listen to them, and if I knew exactly when they would be on and talking hockey, I wouldn't make a point to tune in.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I agree, Singn'...I used to hate him, but it's like a train wreck - you hate to see it, but can't help but look at it. I've learned to appreciate him to the point where I actually like what the guy does, and tries to do. As I mentioned, I buy a 50-page propaganda extortion pamphlet for $0.50 every day (not on weekends because I won't spend the buck) and the first page I turn to is Larry Brooks. I look forward to see what he's going to say, because at the least, his columns stimulate conversation. I don't always agree, heck, I don't always agree with anyone, but he gets us to talk, especially during dull times.
I enjoy his enthusiasm and his accessibility. He's obviously passionate about the game. I don't feel the need to agree with every opinion I read. So, some of what he says I just mentally throw away, some I agree with and some appreciate if for no other reason than he made me think.

And Dutch did make a great point he was one of the few who were reporting and commenting actively during the lockout.

Old
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM
DutchShamrock

Forget the TV guys at ESPN, they don't talk hockey enough to really make a strong point. The guys online, like Buccigross, they were they ones force feeding Bettman's propaganda during the lockout. They were the ones who would point out skyrocketing ticket prices and link them to Holik's contract. The implication was that the players had the owners and GMs over the barrel, basically extorting money. They completely gave the GMs a pass for giving out the contracts. They basically sold it as a players strike for refusing to cave into some pretty outrageous demands from a party that wasn't interested in negotiations or bargaining.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Forget the TV guys at ESPN, they don't talk hockey enough to really make a strong point. The guys online, like Buccigross, they were they ones force feeding Bettman's propaganda during the lockout. They were the ones who would point out skyrocketing ticket prices and link them to Holik's contract. The implication was that the players had the owners and GMs over the barrel, basically extorting money. They completely gave the GMs a pass for giving out the contracts. They basically sold it as a players strike for refusing to cave into some pretty outrageous demands from a party that wasn't interested in negotiations or bargaining.
I wonder if their opinions of the Union will change when the next contract impasse crystallizes.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I think its a pretty good bet that Torts and "Brooksie" are going to be teeing off on each other soon, after the rip job in the Post...

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
ruckus*

From reading through the thread I think a lot of you need to understand the difference between commentary and a news story.

All the hate I'm seeing comes from Brooks opinions.

As Singn' mentioned earlier, this is commentary and labeled as such.

Anyone who has gone to journalism school or taken journalism courses understands this. You're supposed to be voicing your opinion.

You guys need to learn the difference.

Also, for those who are critical of Brooks because of the paper he works for...Huh?

He covers sports and the New York Rangers specifically.

Who cares what kind of garbage The Post deals with outside of that. He doesn't write those articles.

He has a job to do, and he does it well, and probably gets paid pretty well for it.

Don't like him? Fine.

But let's give credit where it's due and understand the difference between his news stories and commentary.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
From reading through the thread I think a lot of you need to understand the difference between commentary and a news story.

All the hate I'm seeing comes from Brooks opinions.

As Singn' mentioned earlier, this is commentary and labeled as such.

Anyone who has gone to journalism school or taken journalism courses understands this. You're supposed to be voicing your opinion.

You guys need to learn the difference.

Also, for those who are critical of Brooks because of the paper he works for...Huh?

He covers sports and the New York Rangers specifically.

Who cares what kind of garbage The Post deals with outside of that. He doesn't write those articles.

He has a job to do, and he does it well, and probably gets paid pretty well for it.

Don't like him? Fine.

But let's give credit where it's due and understand the difference between his news stories and commentary.
This...

Brooks's column is an editoral he is trying to pass off as news.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
I think its a pretty good bet that Torts and "Brooksie" are going to be teeing off on each other soon, after the rip job in the Post...
Yea just read that wow...I really would like to know whey zherdev didnt shoot in the shootout tough

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Brooks needs to understand that Tortorella is going to be here for a while. If every Brooks post after every Rangers loss for the next couple of years is going to be filled with the same venom he has been spewing the last couple of days than he should consider finding another job.

We know you don't like him Brooksy. We get the point. Now relax and cover the team.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
dynamoovechkin

Like him or loathe him, Brooksie is a necessary evil. You could even say he does his job admirably and is somehow representative of the Ranger fan base with all of our foaming at the mouth.

In a way Brooks = Torts. It's just a matter of degree. Brooks is a rabid dog, and Torts is a raving lunatic. Or do I have that backwards?

I just find that Brooks is SO NY Post. He kind of bores me. I read all of the blogs, but his drivel I normally leave alone, unless one of the HF boards posters links to him.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Remember one thing, Brooks' job is to help sell papers. When he says something that is controversial it is because he wants to see a rise out of the fan base. The same thing happens to Islander fans. We read something in the paper and then a volcano explodes. And with the newspaper industry in shambles because of lack of readership, they will mostly try anything to sell a few more papers.

Sal