HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Mike Richards V. Ilya Kovalchuk Who Would You Rather Have & Why?

View Poll Results: Who Would You Rather Have?
Ilya Kovalchuck 195 65.44%
Mike Richards 103 34.56%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
MSP4LYFE*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
Kovalchuk. I like both players a lot, but it was an easy decision for me.

I want to clear up a few things about Kovy though, as I've read a few statements so far that are very inaccurate, and ill-assumed.

Kovalchuk DOES stick up for his teammates. All the time.

Kovalchuk also is very emotional. Watch the last WC. He's tried so hard for so long on that Atlanta team, but they've never had any kind of depth. The management there is so ridiculous.

He's also consistent. He's working on his 5th straight season of >40 goals. As the season goes he gets hot and cold, but overall he gets it done.

I might add that Richards is a better scorer than he's getting credit for here. I can't think of many players more deadly than him on a breakaway.
Great points Lyons71

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Mike Richards has been compared to the greatest legend in Flyers history and is living up to that right now. He has won at every level and i honestly believe he will be the next flyer to have his jersey hung up and possibly the greatest flyer of all time when it's all done. The kids got it all.
Damn, to think I was waiting for Lindros's number to go up in the rafters.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
duffy9748

Mike Richards has been compared to the greatest legend in Flyers history and is living up to that right now. He has won at every level and i honestly believe he will be the next flyer to have his jersey hung up and possibly the greatest flyer of all time when it's all done. The kids got it all.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Richards.

Kovalchuk is a great scoring, something Richards will never be. Richards is a born leader. I hate this ****in' guy and think he's a bit of a ***** (not in the sense he gets beat all the time, but takes borderline cheap shots) but this guy can play all over the ice. The front of the net, corners, point. He back checks his defensive awareness is greater than Kovalchuk's ever will be. The guy can put up decent points. Kovalchuk is a great player. If I already had a similar player to Richards, say Moreau (but younger) I'd take Kovalchuk.

Note, I'm not saying Moreau is close to Richards, just saying he's like Richards in the fact that he's a great leader and he can play the corners and front of the net while being able to score as well.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sidious View Post
Too bad Richards will never play in any game of the Cup finals.
He has a better chance than Crosby does of ever seeing the Finals again.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:05 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Kovalchuk is a great scoring, something Richards will never be. Richards is a born leader. I hate this ****in' guy and think he's a bit of a ***** (not in the sense he gets beat all the time, but takes borderline cheap shots) but this guy can play all over the ice. The front of the net, corners, point. He back checks his defensive awareness is greater than Kovalchuk's ever will be. The guy can put up decent points.
I'd like you to point out one of Richards' "borderline" cheap shots. Guy is just about as edgy as they come while remaining clean so to speak. In fact I could show you a couple clips of Habs players taking cheap shots that would surprise you I bet.

One thing Richards always has been and always will be is a class act. He gives everything he has on the ice and plays physically without going anywhere controversial.

He has won the championship on every level he has played on.

The Flyers may not have always been the cleanest group, but I can almost guarantee you won't find any "dirty" players in the lockerroom this year. You might have a few guys on the fringe, but the difference between this year with no suspensions and last year with a bunch of suspensions is no doubt in my mind the "C" on his chest.

The league is out to get us by reputation. You can deny it all you want, but it's the truth. Reputation bases a lot of what goes on in this league. The fact that you can say the Flyers have not done anything stupid is an absolute miracle. And I'm 100% Flyers fan. We have been dirty in the past, but Richards brings something more to the lockerroom.

Take from that what you want.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Chea*

Ugh I like Richards far more than Kovalchuk, but it's like comparing a BMW to a Ferrari.

Old
03-24-2009, 05:11 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Who would you rather have and why?
Why is quite obivious and Kovalchuk is the answer.Anybody not picking him is either a hater,a homer or knows very little about the game. There is no case to be made why anyone would take a good player over a superstar.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Why is quite obivious and Kovalchuk is the answer.Anybody not picking him is either a hater,a homer or knows very little about the game. There is no case to be made why anyone would take a good player over a superstar.
I don't think you should be accusing anyone else of knowing very little about the game.

Old
03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
At least you don't think in extremes.

Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Damn, to think I was waiting for Lindros's number to go up in the rafters.
It should, but that's neither here nor there.

As far as this question, give me Richards.

Kovalchuk is a better goal scorer and a better skater. Richards is more physical, he's a better passer, he's world's better defensively, he can QB a PP, he can be anything you ask him to be. Kovalchuk is a guy you want on the ice late in a game where you're down by a goal. Richards is a guy you want on the ice late in the game when you're down a goal, tied, or up by a goal.

People just don't give Richards enough credit as an offensive player because of everything else he does. This is the 2nd year in a row that he's above a ppg, projecting to about 88 points over the course of an 82 game season.

So from Kovalchuk you get maybe 7-10 more points and 10-15 more goals. From Richards you get Selke caliber defense, leadership, and physical play. I'll take that trade off.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
ELab2

I like to look at these as if I'm starting a team from scratch and I have to pick one of these two to start my team. I go with Richards because he does absolutely everything. I think there is no question that Kovalchuk has way more skill though

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Even though I chose Richards, its almost impossible to judge a players playoff game with that kind of sample. The current Conn Smythe winner had 1 goal in his first 4 playoff games, and had just 5 points in his first 16, before being the best forward on his team the next 3 playoff years.
Quote:
Atleast make it fair...
23 games 7 goals 8 assists 15 points
4 games 1 goal 1 assist 2 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Yeah, I voted for Richards and even I think that's wildly misleading.
More or less pointing out that Richards has what it takes to lead his team to success, and has done such.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
supa scoop

As a Flyers fan, Richards. No slight against Kovy, he is one of my favorite players. Considering how important Mike is to the Flyers, there really aren't too many guys I'd take over him. Especially with his contract and taking chemistry into account.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:15 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
More or less pointing out that Richards has what it takes to lead his team to success, and has done such.
Ok, but we both know that the Flyers team he played on that year was miles better than the Thrashers team that you pulled Kovalchuk's stats from. Also, you arbitrarily picked Richards' good year over his first year and compared it to Kovy's only year. His first time (as a rookie) he had 1 assist in 6 games...

FWIW, Jason Spezza is sitting about a PPG for his career in the playoffs, but if you cherry pick just his last year, he looks like a big playoff failure. Interestingly, many people seem to do just that regarding Spezza despite having led the playoffs in scoring... but I digress.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 07:42 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I take the 50-goal scorer over the shutdown forward.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I take the 50-goal scorer over the shutdown forward.
The shutdown forward has 74 points in 69 games.

Old
03-24-2009, 08:38 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
The shutdown forward has 74 points in 69 games.

Perhaps you misunderstood the term 'shutdown'. Doesn't matter. Richards has the potential to win multiple Selke's, but you just don't pass on pure talent like Kovalchuk's. He turns 26 next month and is nearing 300 goals.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

For the Flyers as of now (not taking cap issues into consideration), I'd keep Richards, as I think he's more valuable to the team with his allround play.

If I was to build a new team though, I'd take Kovalchuk.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood the term 'shutdown'. Doesn't matter. Richards has the potential to win multiple Selke's, but you just don't pass on pure talent like Kovalchuk's. He turns 26 next month and is nearing 300 goals.
You do if the shutdown player makes your team better then the 50 goal scorer, in this case I do. Richards has the ability to go up against the 50 goal scorer and out score his line. When your shutdown crew outscored the oppnents top line, you will probably win the series.

Old
03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Mike Richards does it all, he does not nearly as much talent as Kovalchuk but he has intangibles. A very good player with intangibles are the ones who lead you to Championships. It wasn't a coincidence that he was compared to Clarke from the first day he was drafted.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

It's one thing to ask "Who's the better player?"...

But, it's meaningless to ask "Who would you rather have?" without adding some sort of context.

If I'm starting a franchise, I take Richards. He's a complete player, a solid defender, a top-tier special teams player and had 7 goals/7 assists in 17 playoff games last season.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Richards.

Why?

Five words:

Defense.
What in the blue hell?

Am I the only person who has no idea what this is supposed to mean? Serious question.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Kovalchuk for the Habs,we need a player with that kind of talent that can do it all,our last 50 goal scorer was Stephane Richer

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Devil Dancer

You can always find guys to provide PK skills and leadership... you can't find guys who do what Kovy does in the offensive zone.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote