HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows. Habs win, Habs win!

Old
03-25-2009, 09:13 AM
gillyguzzler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Statistically this is true, but you look at the goals scored on him and none of them were truly weak. He could have saved one, maybe two with fantastic saves, but the high shot percentage was just a reflection of the Habs' execution (and, as always in hockey, a bit of good fortune) than the goalie's mistakes.
Did you see Tanguay's first goal? I had to watch the replay quite a few times to figure out what Lehtonen was trying to do and I still can't figure it out. It looked like he was trying to stop a ghost puck to his right... I'm not sure. He was also weak on Tanguay's second goal. He flopped all over on Kovy's flubbed one timer and he didn't look great on Koivu's deke.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 09:48 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Did you see Tanguay's first goal? I had to watch the replay quite a few times to figure out what Lehtonen was trying to do and I still can't figure it out. It looked like he was trying to stop a ghost puck to his right... I'm not sure. He was also weak on Tanguay's second goal. He flopped all over on Kovy's flubbed one timer and he didn't look great on Koivu's deke.
His own player crashed into him on the first goal and took him out of position.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
His own player crashed into him on the first goal and took him out of position.
Exactly. I'll add that it was Koivu's driving to the net and forcing that defencemen to follow him that lead to the collision.

Proof that good things happen when you go to the net!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
Where was captain lapierre tonite? 43% in face offs no points?
that line was invisible.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
would you suggest a two man forecheck when Kovalchuk is on the ice?
He walked around anyone he wanted to regardless.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:45 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
He walked around anyone he wanted to regardless.
So you can imagine what he would do with more ice at his disposal.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
Where was captain lapierre tonite? 43% in face offs no points?
Have you checked the other center's stats ? I guess not...

Lapierre is a third line player who is doing his best. No one is expecting him to have points every game.

On the other hand, we were waiting since 30 games to see our so called star players starting to lead and put points on the board !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
la25ecoupe

Some crazy pass from Tanguay. Some Kovy didn't even expect coming.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Have you checked the other center's stats ? I guess not...

Lapierre is a third line player who is doing his best. No one is expecting him to have points every game.

On the other hand, we were waiting since 30 games to see our so called star players starting to lead and put points on the board !

hey common be nice. we cant start bashing our future captain

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Some crazy pass from Tanguay. Some Kovy didn't even expect coming.
I noticed that as the game went on Kovy didn't hang on to the puck nearly as much, just let Tanguay have it and went to find a good spot to shoot one-timers from. I think he might be scarier as a potential scorer when he does that.

I think if they both keep this up it has major potential. With those two, Kovy doesn't need to create his own play, but he retains the ability to stickhandle and set up teammates from behind his back, so the opposition still has to respect that. I think the biggest risk is that Kovalev might not want to keep being mostly a shooter and might want to handle the puck more, but I think he realized that most of his scoring chances and all his goals were off Tanguay's passes, and took his cue.

It's amazing how much difference having three great players on one line does, it's got a huge synergistic. With those three together the opposition can't overcommit to one and take their chances with the others. Creates a lot of space.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
mario66lemieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I noticed that as the game went on Kovy didn't hang on to the puck nearly as much, just let Tanguay have it and went to find a good spot to one-time from.

I think if they both keep this up it has major potential. Kovy doesn't need to create his own play, but he retains the ability so the opposition still has to respect that.

It's amazing how much difference having three great players on one line does, it's got a huge synergistic. With those three together the opposition can't overcommit to one and take their chances with the others. If you do, something like the sixth Habs goal happens. Creates a lot of space.
Kovalev finally is playing with a guy who can handle the puck and make plays to him. Usually Kovalev is the one who hangs on to the puck and is supposed to make things happen, but now Tanguay is doing it and Kovalev just needs to get himself open and start playing a sniper role again like he used to in Pittsburgh. This line has potential, I can feel it.

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Stradale

The first line could be one of the league best if they can find consistency. Everybody were saying they are all playmaker that like to keep the puck so it will not work but all of them scored a goal last night.

I wouldnt play them against the opponent 1st line to save their icetime though. And the 1st PP unit with the first line + Markov and Schneider will probably work great too.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote