HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any News on RJ Signing??

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 05:16 PM
L.I.RangerFan

vCash: 500
Any News on RJ Signing??

Park#2, Edge or SOTI

Have you heard anything on the progress of signing RJ Umberger? I am curious because with Hartford's clear day being tomorrow, I was hoping he would be signed before then. Unless it doesn't matter if he is signed to be on the clear day roster.

I am soooo confused, probably due to my head still spinning from the last few days.

Old
03-10-2004, 05:48 PM
smashednoodle

Can we sign RJ AND get the compensatory pick ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Park#2, Edge or SOTI

Have you heard anything on the progress of signing RJ Umberger? I am curious because with Hartford's clear day being tomorrow, I was hoping he would be signed before then. Unless it doesn't matter if he is signed to be on the clear day roster.

I am soooo confused, probably due to my head still spinning from the last few days.

I didn't notice if this was previously posted...

Unless I'm unaware of the rules regarding signing North American draftees within 2 years of them being drafted, it looks like if we wait until after June 1 to sign RJ, we will also get the compensatory 2nd round pick..

Does anyone know ?

Old
03-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashednoodle

Unless I'm unaware of the rules regarding signing North American draftees within 2 years of them being drafted, it looks like if we wait until after June 1 to sign RJ, we will also get the compensatory 2nd round pick..

Does anyone know ?
It's already been more than 2 years since he's been drafted, college players can't re-enter the draft, they become free agents. Since Umberger is not playing in college right now, and even if he had this would be his senior year, he would become a UFA at the end of the season if not signed.

You are right with the Rangers getting a second round pick as compensation if he doesn't sign, the 46th pick in the draft to be precise. First rounders who do not sign garner the same pick that they were taken in the first round in the second round as compensation. To put it in easier terms, he was the 16th pick in the first round so compensation is the 16th pick in the second round, or 46th overall.

Old
03-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashednoodle

Does anyone know ?
It's a strange little loophole that lets us get the compensatory pick even if he winds up signing with us after the deadline. But considering that Umberger hasn't played a game all year, I'd rather he sign soon (which it sounds like he will) so he can get in the last 10-15 games with the Pack and the AHL playoffs rather than try to weasel a mid-2nd rounder out of the league.

Old
03-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
It's a strange little loophole that lets us get the compensatory pick even if he winds up signing with us after the deadline. But considering that Umberger hasn't played a game all year, I'd rather he sign soon (which it sounds like he will) so he can get in the last 10-15 games with the Pack and the AHL playoffs rather than try to weasel a mid-2nd rounder out of the league.

I'm with you, sign him NOW!

Old
03-10-2004, 07:35 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Agreed. It's looking really good for Hartford right now going into the playoffs, huh? They should be a great team. I'm hoping to get up there to a couple of games, I went once this year and it was a lot of fun.

Old
03-10-2004, 08:59 PM
NYR469

umberger said that sather spoke to his agent before the trade so the rangers know what he is asking...he expects to have a deal signed in the next few days

Old
03-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Edge

from what i know, the principle of the deal is done but they are just hammering out bonuses and other technicalities.

Old
03-11-2004, 07:47 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
from what i know, the principle of the deal is done but they are just hammering out bonuses and other technicalities.

Well then hopefully this is just Brooks spouting off as usual or some sort of plan to get RJ and the comp. pick

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/16992.htm

Old
03-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Edge

I dunno to me the whole scenario doesnt make sense.

even if you sign him, i'm almost positive you would be able to move him if at the draft if your heart so desired.

if this kid hits UFA or shows a lot in a stint with hartford you just helped his raise his value and all you're gonna get for your efforts is a soso second round pick.

either way, the story was that this kid is gonna be signed to a real deal for the reasons i mentioned above. whether or not that changes is anyone's guess, but that WAS the story.

But then again Sather's regime always seems to be two steps forward, two steps back so it is very possible that this team would actually end up letting him for go for a compensation pick only to watch his blossom with another organization.

Old
03-11-2004, 05:40 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Park#2, Edge or SOTI

It's my understanding that the basic contract is on the table and and details are being sorted through. There's a basic agreement in place. I would be surprised if he is not signed by tomorrow or Friday.

The Brooks article is interesting, but there would be no way to garner a strong source on that type of info - that type of maneuver would need to be kept very quiet and now would be difficult - the NHL would surely investigate such a move. It would also be dangerous for Sather - let's say they go with the "Brooks scenario." Umberger could come in and play so well that he draws a ton of attention from other teams. That would force Sather to pay him twice as much or risk the possibility of losing him.

Old
03-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Edge

I think Park#2 is like most long soulmate lol.

sounds repetitive, but that about sums it up.

Old
03-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Meet the new Mr. Sather.

Jerk.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Edge

huh?

Old
03-12-2004, 10:30 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Will Umberger be in the lineup for Hartford tonight?

Old
03-12-2004, 11:14 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
Will Umberger be in the lineup for Hartford tonight?
uhh did i miss something or has he signed??

Old
03-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
uhh did i miss something or has he signed??

Not yet. I think Sather is going to try his hardest to eff this one up too.

Old
03-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Hankenstein

Hey Edge, Park2 or SOTI, any inside info on what is really going down with R.J?

Old
03-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobis13
Hey Edge, Park2 or SOTI, any inside info on what is really going down with R.J?
I'm shocked it's not done yet. I don't know how "reliable" the info is, but I'm being told that Sather has a permanent contract all drawn up, but is trying to get the "tryout" contract agreed to. Lawton does not want to have has client sign a tryout contract after not playing in game competition for a full year (understandably - what if he comes in and gets hurt). The idea of a "Tryout" contract seemed to originate after the trade was completed.

I don't understand Sather's logic in that - considering he could go and play great, giving him more leverage and forcing the Rangers to pay more to keep him rather then hit the open marker. I really don't understand it considering some of the people that this organization has thrown money at in the last 10 years. All it is doing is further aggrevating a pretty good prospect - and for what?

Old
03-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Hankenstein

Like I said earlier, I think he's just trying his hardest to eff things up....AGAIN.

It's this kind of crap that makes me wish that ole Geln comes down with some sort of bleeding gential sore or an inoperable spinal condition.

Old
03-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
I'm shocked it's not done yet. I don't know how "reliable" the info is, but I'm being told that Sather has a permanent contract all drawn up, but is trying to get the "tryout" contract agreed to. Lawton does not want to have has client sign a tryout contract after not playing in game competition for a full year (understandably - what if he comes in and gets hurt). The idea of a "Tryout" contract seemed to originate after the trade was completed.

I don't understand Sather's logic in that - considering he could go and play great, giving him more leverage and forcing the Rangers to pay more to keep him rather then hit the open marker. I really don't understand it considering some of the people that this organization has thrown money at in the last 10 years. All it is doing is further aggrevating a pretty good prospect - and for what?
This does not surprise me in the least. Sather may like to throw money around on the open market, but he's not above nickel and diming the lesser guys in the organization. Malakhov can get $3.5 mil a year, but guys like Johansson, Pisa, and Zidlicky (just to name a few) are chased out of the organization over a couple of hundred thousand dollars.

Old
03-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Park #2

Quote:
This does not surprise me in the least. Sather may like to throw money around on the open market, but he's not above nickel and diming the lesser guys in the organization. Malakhov can get $3.5 mil a year, but guys like Johansson, Pisa, and Zidlicky (just to name a few) are chased out of the organization over a couple of hundred thousand dollars.
I was referring to myself as shocked because of my previous posts on the subject, not so much shocked as to the action itself. I had heard the opposite was going to happen the day the trade was made.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Edge

this is exactly why i am not crazy about sather leading rebuilding process. He tries to get too cutesey with things and that's where he gets himself in trouble.

Old
03-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Fletch

I don't think Sather's getting cute here..

I'm exccited about the prospects of seeing Umberger signed and in the Rangers system, but you do have to question his actions to date and perhaps he's exactly what the Rangers don't need. Around his 21st b-day and he's already in contract sqabbles? And what 21 year old kid takes a season off of hockey because of these contract disputes? Sign the damn contract, play hockey, prove yourself, and then create these demands. He's basically taking off a year so he'd have the chance to make more money - sounds like a Ranger.

And the comparison to signing Malakhov to $3.5 million and non signing Umberger to whatever is apples and oranges. I don't even need to get into those particulars.

On another side, a 'tryout' is a tough thing to do. On the kid's side, imagine getting hurt in practice without a contract? But hey, he was stupid enough to take the year off from hockey - perhaps his most important development year. Great advice.

Old
03-14-2004, 09:41 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
Agreed. It's looking really good for Hartford right now going into the playoffs, huh? They should be a great team. I'm hoping to get up there to a couple of games, I went once this year and it was a lot of fun.
dont caree if they look great in the playoffs or not these kids maybe stars in the ahl but we want them to be nhl stars thats all that really matters...u do want tthem to succeed on the ahl level whcih i]s the first step..

Closed Thread