HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

So, what do we expect in the off-season?

Old
03-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
So, what do we expect in the off-season?

We all know how badly Doug Risebrough did last offseason, so we can only hope that he's fired when this team misses the playoffs. However, as a Thrashers fan, I'm kinda used to teams not firing GM's that suck.

So, we have 6 UFA's and 3 RFA's on the current roster, as well as 3 UFA's and 2 RFA's which are not on the roster. We have $43.192M already on the books for next year, leaving about $7M in cap room if the salary cap doesn't go down by too much next year.

List of Free Agents:

UFA - F Marian Gaborik
UFA - F Stephane Veilleux
UFA - D Marc-Andre Bergeron
UFA - D Martin Skoula
UFA - D Kurtis Foster
UFA - D John Scott
RFA - F Dan Fritsche
RFA - F Peter Olvecky
RFA - G Josh Harding
--------------
UFA - F Krys Kolanos
UFA - D Tomas Mojzis
UFA - G Nolan Schaefer
RFA - F Benoit Pouliot
RFA - F Danny Irmen

Who do we re-sign? Who should we target?

If Lemaire is out, I can see the build of this team changing considerably, possibly through trades. We can't afford to re-sign Gaborik (Partly because of the fact that Kim Johnsson is overpaid by about $3M per season). We need to target a defenseman, and look at the trading options for Harding. Backstrom has proven that he can play a ton of games, so we really only need a minimum wage goalie to back him up.

I dunno. This could very well be another rough off-season. I'm starting to question the signing of Backstrom to a $6M/season contract. Bouchard really needs to step up next year and show that he's worth that $4.25M that he'll be making.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
dhabums*

It think you meant off season.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post
It think you meant off season.
He didn't miss by much; the Wild's offseason this year will start less than a week after their postseason starts.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:00 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

First off, you don't know what the hell you are talking about if you think Kim Johnsson is overpaid. He is one of the biggest contributors to our team and is a steady defenseman. If you said that a few years ago, maybe but he has proven to be our best defenseman and that showed when he went down two years ago in the playoffs.

Secondly, we need two - if not three goal scorers. You're unable to grab even two for 7 million.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Koivu will come back from his knee injury and join his teammates .... on the 10th hole tee box

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
djp4516

I think we re-sign

Skoula
Fritsche
Olvecky
Harding

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
First off, you don't know what the hell you are talking about if you think Kim Johnsson is overpaid. He is one of the biggest contributors to our team and is a steady defenseman. If you said that a few years ago, maybe but he has proven to be our best defenseman and that showed when he went down two years ago in the playoffs.
Lol.

You are seriously delusional if you think Kim Johnsson is worth more than $5M per season. He should be making no more than $3M/season. He's been good for the Wild, yes, but he is WAY overpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
I think we re-sign

Skoula
Fritsche
Olvecky
Harding
I agree with the middle two, but I want Skoula gone, and I want to see if we can get anything good for Harding. If we can't get anything good, then yes, re-sign Harding too.

Last edited by Lux Aurumque*: 03-25-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Harding will be traded for something. Gaborik is as good as gone. Pouliot is gone, and probably Skoula as well. Hopefully we have enough to resign the core players before they all dip as well

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:01 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
I like to see them do nothing next year.

Trade Pouliot and Harding for either picks or a proven guy with a year left on a cap friendly contract.

Reason i want them to do nothing. Any move we can make will be marginal. Throwing 7 million dollars at 2 maybe 3 average guys is worthless when we have nothing to go with them.

We need to take next year off of FA. We can give Gabby a one year deal worth a nice amount and see if he can can stay healthy. Otherwise leave it alone.

Sheppard will be better. Gillies will be able to play more. The rest are good enough to give us a chance to make the play offs. I want us to save our money and go huge in two years. Either lock up Gabby long term and let him be the guy given his one year health try out. Then go big on a d man.

Worst thing we can do is glorified patch work. Add a few old vets and have no money left to go big.

Right now Johnnson at his current contract is just fine with me. He plays very well for us. He has more ability, but our style is not set up for it. He plays lots of minutes and does not give me a heart attack when he passes or has to get the puck out of the zone in a hurry. I actually think very highly of Johnnson. .

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Defense:

Johnsson
Burns
Schultz
Zidlicky
Bergeron
Scott
Stoner/Mojzis

LOSES:Bergeron, Foster, Skoula

Goalies:

Backstrom
Harding

Forward:

Brunette - Koivu - Bouchard
UFA/Traded - Sheppard - Miettinen
Nolan - Belanger - Clutterbuck
Fritsche/Gillies - Kolanos - Weller/Boogaard/Olvecky

LOSES:Gaborik, Veilleux

I predict we will look around the same. The only changes we will see is we will get a good scorer, not great but good, that we have been lacking. Pouliot + 2nd for a good scorer.

The defense will be the same, which is good. Same with goalies. In forwards, Sheppard will only get better and our fourth line will improve with guys like Fritsche, Gillies, Olvecky and Clutterbuck learning.

But I'm worried, is that enough?? It might be able to squeeze us in the playoffs but then again, could be the other side of the sword.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote