Notices

State of the Franchise

Old
03-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
State of the Franchise

What are your thoughts on the state of the franchise?

How do you see the franchise prospect wise? And how do you see them competing down the road, following this awful season?

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Chad_

The franchise? He's 38, plays 30 some nights but like 50 most nights.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
When healthy, I see this team as a yearly contender, provided Turco plays at a level he's capable of. I think our forwards are great, but I'm not sold on our blueline after Zubov hangs them up; we need an infusion of experience/talent until our sophs develop a bit more, because the pairings we've used this year haven't worked out all that well. That should be target numero uno this offseason, keeping an eye on J-Bo and to a lesser extent Komisarek.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
batmansuncle

vCash: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
When healthy, I see this team as a yearly contender, provided Turco plays at a level he's capable of. I think our forwards are great, but I'm not sold on our blueline after Zubov hangs them up; we need an infusion of experience/talent until our sophs develop a bit more, because the pairings we've used this year haven't worked out all that well. That should be target numero uno this offseason, keeping an eye on J-Bo and to a lesser extent Komisarek.
I agree with Modo. We have good young forwards. Defence is so so. Zubov hasnt really played the last 2 years so we havent had a true #1 guy for a bit.

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

this franchise is in great shape, we will not have another year like this. It is amazing were doing well enough to even be in playoff picture until fatigue caught up with the rest of the crew from playing without so many critical pieces. We have nothing to worry about.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
We have nothing to worry about.
I don't know about that.

We have 3 defensemen that will probably be with the franchise until they retire, but is there a No. 1 guy in any of them?

We've addressed our scoring needs, and when healthy it's proven it can be a force. But we desperately need help on the blue line.

Old
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
haf

Defense:
Our D is young. Defenseman take longer. I agree that our D is so so right now but I think all of these kids are going to be very good. Remember, Fistric and Niskanen are YOUNG. Defenseman their age normally barely sniff the NHL, unless they are top five blue chip guys.

I think all of our guys are second pairing guys right now. Which is a blessing and a curse. We have guys (Grossman, Niskanen) that could grow into top pairing potential and guys (daley, robidas, Fistric) that are going to be solid second pairing guys for years to come, but we lack that number one guy; one who can play 27 minutes a night and run our power play (think Dan Boyle). We need a number one guy to nail it down.

Who do we trade? I have no idea. It depends on who the teams want and what they offer.
I say we get J-Bo if possible and don't re-sign Zubov. Hold on to the kids. Or trade Robidas and get Zubie cheap. If we like Vishnevsky then we can trade Daley and Fistric and get a huge return.

Either way, we need to get a number one, which I don't think Zubie will be when he returns.

Forwards:
We have two great playmaking centers and a host of good wingers coming up/up. I think we are better than ok there. We need a right winger maybe. Morrow, Neal, Benn Ott is a fantastic left side. Loui, Brunnstrom, Lehts, is potentially a great right side, but Brunnstrom is an unknown factor still for me and Lehts is a third liner at this point IMO. How we manage the glut of forwards will be huge.

Goalie:
We live and die by Turco, and that's how it is. I think Turco will get us back to the WCF or beyond. For all of his flaws, he can be an amazing goalie. His tendency to not square to the shooter though drives me batty. I think he and we are better served when he has a young guy to mentor and push him. We need that. Bachman? Wish we knew what Stephan could do.

Coach:
I don't understand all of the fire Tippett talk. We have been ravaged by major injuries all year. We were still talking playoffs until a couple of nights ago. Even the Vancouver game, a couple of different bounces and that's our game. The team had a lot of fight. The guys are giving it up. No way you can pin this on our coach. I am a Tippett fan and will be for a while yet.

GMs
I hope the Avery deal didn't make them trigger shy. I hope they learned a valuable lesson with Crombeen, which still puts burrs in my skirt.

I am very happy with our team's development. I think Armstrong needs some delayed applause for drafting and developing well.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I don't know about that.

We have 3 defensemen that will probably be with the franchise until they retire, but is there a No. 1 guy in any of them?

We've addressed our scoring needs, and when healthy it's proven it can be a force. But we desperately need help on the blue line.
well of course we need some things. I would like to look into a great defenseman and a quality goaltender, but as far as what we have now there are no worries from me. You have to pick up people sometimes from FA, everybody can't be from the farm, no farm is that talented outside of maybe DET.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Captain Awesome

I think we're a good team, and I'm not too worried about next season unless there is another ugly rash of injuries. That being said, I think our coaching staff is no good and they should be replaced. Their ideas are stale and we need some new ideas to get this team going.

Haf, if you at least don't understand the fire Tippett talk, then you're just ignoring what's right in front of you, honestly, there's plenty to be mad about when it comes to Dave Tippett. I've not been a fan of him but this season makes me think we should can him. I'm not saying it's completely clear cut, but he's made a lot of mistakes.

I think our prospect pool looks great and look forward to the fact that we won't be a perennial bottom feeder any time soon. I hope to hell Stephan and Brunnstrom are utilized way more next year, the way they've been handled pretty much sucks.

I think that some of the vets are holding this team back, Zubov and Modano are a waste of cap space most of the time, Zubov because he's hurt all the time and Modano because he clearly just doesn't care enough. Lehtinen is obviously still great defensively but he's close to retirement. I guess his style of play has broken him down over the years.

The left wing situation is as much of a concern as the right wing one, I bet a few years down the line we may have too much of a good thing. Benn, Neal, and Morrow is gonna be cool to have but once the contracts get expensive someone is going to have to go, that is assuming Benn even pans out and Neal keeps on improving.

The D is going to be good but I hope it won't be too late for this team to be a contender, they need some talent infusion ASAP on the back end obviously. If Sydor plays next year I think things will get ugly. Waste of space. Too bad this is a lousy FA year for D-men, I just don't see J-bo or Komisarek moving. Maybe a draft day or trade deadline acquisition is in order.

The goalie department is the most worrisome situation in the entire group I think. Marty Turco will break down sooner rather than later IMO, he won't keep up this style much longer without breaking down. I think we should make a play for Harding or that SEL goalie with the ridiculous shutout streak whose name I can't remember.

I think we'll be fine down the road, but I hope we have some serious cup aspirations and are a yearly contender for a while, we have a lot of quality pieces already.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Silent Bob,

One of the wings will move though I don't think that will happen until after next season. Benn will have played in the AHL, Bruno will be more known (at least I hope he plays a lot next season so they know what to do with him.) Eriksson will require a raise and Lehtinen will be gone. Just don't be surprised if they move Neal, with the idea that Benn is the superior player, with a cheaper contract.

Goalie needs to be addressed. I'd tell Gusstavsson he'd have a shot at the number one job should he sign here then move Marty who's NTC will expire do to this poor season this summer. Colorado, Ottawa, and Philly are just a few teams that could use a stop gap goalie until their prospects emerge. Problem with that scenario is 29 other teams are trying to sign him. Dallas is going to have to show/promise they're willing to play him if they are to have even a slim chance of him coming here.

On the defensive side Beauchem would be ideal. He's injured and might sign cheap for a year to get a longer contract the next season. He would be very helpful. I'd also look at moving Robidas and signing an additional ufa like Leopold. That way Vishnevskiy is your 7th guy, the one called up do to injuries rather than he has to be put on the roster out of training camp whether he's ready or not. Hutchinson mean while could be used as a stop gap for short term or if they're still leery of Ivan.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Just don't be surprised if they move Neal, with the idea that Benn is the superior player, with a cheaper contract.
Move him where? Trade wise?

Old
03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Move him where? Trade wise?
Yes I mean trade. I would think Brunnstrom is the least wing prospect but with inconstant play time and linemates, his current grade is incomplete. But he does play right wing. Benn on the other hand will probably get a shot sometime next season or make a heck of a case for himself in Austin. Regardless if a left winger "needs" to be moved. They have three good ones but need a goalie or defensemen don't be surprised if Neal is the one traded. He's closer to a big pay raise. They won't trade Morrow and if he and Benn play similar styles, they'll go with the younger, higher upside, cheaper Benn.

Old
03-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
The answer to the defense is not to get younger. They're young enough as it is. You like your defense to have a nice mix of ages, both from a cap standpoint and from a play standpoint, and Dallas' core is too tilted under 25 right now. It's a big part of the problems they're having. If you move a guy like Robidas, you need to get an experienced vet in return, and you probably need to get two so you're not forced into the same issues where you can't bench the young guys that struggle that they've had this year.

Also, if you move Turco, you'd better be damn sure you're bringing in a guy who can play 60+ games a year and be successful behind a team that is not all that solid defensively, at least at the moment. If the right combination of players came along, I'd move anybody, and Turco is no exception to that, but with a position so heavily reliant on one guy (no good team has a true tandem system that they ride through the regular season and playoffs, contrary to what piqued claims), you'd better be damn sure you have that guy before moving a good-enough guy, no matter how crazy he may make you.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Games played in the regular season of goalies that made it to the SCF's since the lockout.
Ray Emery 58
Jean-Sebastien Giguere 56
Chris Osgood 43
Marc-Andre Fleury 35
Cam Ward 28
Dwayne Roloson 19

Average 39.8 games.
or the basic more rest during the regular season is important.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 08:44 PM
ScubaSteve*

If this team can get a healthy year of Zubov, sign a legit top pairing defenseman, and get rid of Robidas and Sydor, they are perfectly composed to make a serious run next year.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
If this team can get a healthy year of Zubov, sign a legit top pairing defenseman, and get rid of Robidas and Sydor, they are perfectly composed to make a serious run next year.
Getting rid of Robidas is knee-jerk, the only thing this year has taught us is that he isn't a number one defenseman, no surprise there.

The Stars are in a position to make a run at Bouwmeester, couldn't ask for a more perfect fit really. A true number one would do wonders for this team, and puts Robidas on the 2nd pair against lesser opposition where he belongs.

Kane, Paajarvi, Kadri, Duchene, Schenn, Schroeder - at least one of these players will be available with the Stars' first round pick assuming they maintain the same pace. Add one of these guys to an already [when healthy] strong forward core, with Benn on the horizon, and the Stars would be set for years to come.

Assuming Hull/Jackson can somewhat competently address the defense via free agency this summer, that is.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:20 AM
________

Robidas also proved he's awful on the powerplay and poor on the penalty kill.

Old
03-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Robidas also proved he's awful on the powerplay and poor on the penalty kill.
Just another example of him being forced into a role because of depth/injury issues. In an ideal world, Robidas doesn't touch your first PP unit. Not the case this season.

Special teams are an issue for a whole myriad of reasons, NO ONE has looked good on the PK this year. I just don't get the vindication out of Robidas, he's being asked to carry a load that only a handful of players in this league can succeed at. Sydor on the other hand, even with sheltered minutes, proves each game that every ounce of criticism he gets is valid.

Old
03-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotang View Post
The Stars are in a position to make a run at Bouwmeester
It really does seem we're putting our cards into getting this guy...that the entire rest of the league is going after as well.

Seems like a long shot for any team really.

Old
03-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
It really does seem we're putting our cards into getting this guy...that the entire rest of the league is going after as well.

Seems like a long shot for any team really.
A 1 in 30 chance

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
A 1 in 30 chance
A little less so than that because of salary cap and I doubt Bouwmeester's going to flee hockey hell in Florida for NYI, Phx, Colorado, Atlanta and other cellar dwellers. Still though I hope Dallas makes a run but that they have other alternatives in mind as well. Falling through on Redden led to Avery. I'd rather not a repeat of that.

Old
03-26-2009, 02:03 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotang
Just another example of him being forced into a role because of depth/injury issues. In an ideal world, Robidas doesn't touch your first PP unit. Not the case this season.
The coaching staff forces him into the role, because they like going with what doesn't work.
It's always funny the powerplay looks better when Robidas is on the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotang
Special teams are an issue for a whole myriad of reasons, NO ONE has looked good on the PK this year. I just don't get the vindication out of Robidas, he's being asked to carry a load that only a handful of players in this league can succeed at. Sydor on the other hand, even with sheltered minutes, proves each game that every ounce of criticism he gets is valid.
I'd consider Fistric and Grossman good on the penalty kill this year for defenseman.

Old
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
The coaching staff forces him into the role, because they like going with what doesn't work.
It's always funny the powerplay looks better when Robidas is on the bench.

I'd consider Fistric and Grossman good on the penalty kill this year for defenseman.
According to behindthenet.ca - Fistric has the worst goals against/60 minutes on the PK of our regular defensemen at 9.14 - Robidas is right behind him at 9.10.

You're right about Grossman in that he's been better, he's sitting at 7.78 GA/60 and has faced the highest quality of competition. Player average is around 6.5, although it's probably higher when you isolate defensemen, putting Grossman roughly middle of the pack in terms of PK d-men.

For reference, the best PK defensemen in the league are in the 2.5-3.5 range. These guys include Ballard/Weber/Green/Suter and surprisingly, Redden.

The team average is 7.7 GA/60, good for 4th worst in the league.

Not that this is the be-all-end-all, but it definitely reflects poorly on the unit as a whole, hard to just single out one player.

Old
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Rotang

if the Stars can stay healthy and add a vet defenseman who can absorb some minutes I really like the look of the lineup next year.

Morrows - Ribiero - Ott
Neal - Richards - Eriksson
Brunnstrom - Modano - Lehtinen
Benn - Begin/Sutherby/Petersen - Barch/Lundqivst/whoever

UFA - Grossman
Zubov - Robidas
Daley - Fistric
Niskanen
Vishnevski

- A 2nd-tier guy like Beauchemin who is accustomed to playing big minutes would be huge and leaves some flexibility. Also ripe potential for a trade on the backend with the assets there.

- Grossman continues to progress and logs big, mistake-free minutes

- It's a distinct possibility that they draft an NHL ready player with their first round pick, giving more competition throughout the lineup.

- does Benn's birthdate allow him to play in the AHL? Expectations are high but given the level he's playing at, I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see him start the season here.

- Brunnstrom on the checking line while he continues to hone his defensive game.

- Robidas pushed back to the 2nd pair where he belongs. Still a good value at $1.5M

I think the other priority this off-season is to maintain a stable of nhl caliber forward depth. With a lot of UFAs in the bottom six the Stars could be left pretty bare. It's important for injuries and it's important for internal competition.

Last edited by Rotang: 03-26-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old
03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Captain Awesome

Yes, if Benn doesn't make the team next year he'll be AHL elegible.

Personally, I think expecting to pick up a #1 D-man this offseason is wishful thinking. And I hope to god the GMs have a plan B if it doesn't happen in free agency.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote