HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our 3rd period problem

Old
03-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Our 3rd period problem

It has become abundantly clear that under Tort and his system this team has a problem keeping up in the 3rd and our +/- is showing that.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
I thought Versus last night had it as follows:

1st:+9
2nd:+4
3rd:-4

I can't imagine were giving up more goals than we've scored under Torts which is what your stats seem to indicate.
It could be a number of things and I figured this could be the place to discuss them. My thoughts on the matter are this. One possibility could be conditioning. Our players really didn't have to skate hard throughout the entire shift under Renney like they do for Torts. However, another issue I was thinking of was that maybe it has to do with teams turning up the heat and putting pressure back onto us. Under Torts we have scored first 12 of 13 times which is insane. Your supposed to win a large chunk of those games scoring first and having Hank between the pipes. You could say we are going 8-4-1 under him. A majority of these games we have a lead going into the 3rd. I think our issue is our players aren't used to his system so it's not second nature to them of where line mates are. That is why we had such hard problems vs the Islanders (Constant forecheck) and I think as time passes so will our 3rd period problem. (Hopefully soon enough to be ready for playoffs!) Just my shot in the dark of what seems to be the problem with us in the third.

P.S - The Devils/Rangers game is on my birthday incase anyone is feeling generious lol. jk

Last edited by Garfinkel1: 03-25-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
BwayBshirt

I can't imagine were giving up more goals than we've scored under Torts which is what your stats seem to indicate.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think its more of an adjustment to the system and keeping that mindset for the full 60 minute frame.

This is a young team overall and i don't think its about conditioning really. The other night against Ottawa though, they were clearly gassed. It happens. Theres always room for improvement there though.

I think the uptempo practices will help. Its better to be the team on the attack then on your heels all the time reacting. Its much easier on the psyche and conditioning over the course of a game. They just need to learn to sustain that a little more.

Last night they gutted out a good win and kept a decent pace up i thought. Maybe they are on their way in this department.

Dont forget for a good stretch at the start of this season, this team was pulling out comeback after comeback and doing serious damage in the third, so its in them.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think its more of an adjustment to the system and keeping that mindset for the full 60 minute frame.

This is a young team overall and i don't think its about conditioning really. The other night against Ottawa though, they were clearly gassed. It happens. Theres always room for improvement there though.

I think the uptempo practices will help. Its better to be the team on the attack then on your heels all the time reacting. Its much easier on the psyche and conditioning over the course of a game. They just need to learn to sustain that a little more.

Last night they gutted out a good win and kept a decent pace up i thought. Maybe they are on their way in this department.

Dont forget for a good stretch at the start of this season, this team was pulling out comeback after comeback and doing serious damage in the third, so its in them.
So your saying our major issue is focus which leads to our mistakes in the 3rd that lead to their 3rd period slump

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post

I believe those were the numbers under Tortorella.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Fletch

third period problems notwithstanding, I'm more concerned about wins and losses. In a different system, the team struggled to score the first goal and get the lead. Now they have a trouble keeping it. Whichever one results in the most wins I'm all for.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
So your saying our major issue is focus which leads to our mistakes in the 3rd that lead to their 3rd period slump
I dont know if its all about focus...

Maybe concerning the goals scored right at the start of the third on a few occasions..

I think they are still learning to drive to the finish in Torts system. Its not easy to do a complete 180 in philosophy for a team, especially when they've been bred to lock it down with a lead and let the play come to them for the other 3/4 of the season (and beyond that for some players).

Its all part of a process.

Personally i think their focus has been much better since Torts came in - but that also comes with the territory of the last 15 games of the season.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-25-2009 at 12:39 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I still hold that even though no one is saying it, the players get worn out by the 3rd period. This is also why we have seen them look like garbage on the 2nd of back-to-backs. I think that the team really isn't as well conditioned as we thought with the exception of a few players (like Callahan). I guess that's why I hear that Tortorella runs a hardcore training camp.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote