HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How can you get back into cegep (montreal) and start with a fresh new start?

Old
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM
habsrule4eva3089

vCash: 500
How can you get back into cegep (montreal) and start with a fresh new start?

For the ppl in MTL or anyone who knows anything about it pleasee reply........I applied to champlain college st. lambert and i just received my rejection from the school in the science program. i've basically left school a while back during which I was registered in john abbott.I basically failed courses and was thrown out of the school. I applied to champlain hoping to start attending school again for the fall 09 and now i dont' know what to do to get back in. I know they don't give a crap about what happens to you but Is there anyway I can get a fresh new start at cegep ...Please can ssomeone help me. I made a stupid mistake in my life and if you met me you wouldn't believe i'd have a problem like this, i'm a pretty intellectual individual. I don't know what to do..how to get this sorted. I might as well commit suicide if i don't go to cegep for the upcoming fall. I really need to get my life back on track, please if anyone can help me reply to this and/or contact me...pleaseee

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
holyhabs

try taking night classes at dawson

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
m00ks

How old are you? If you're over 21 screw college jsut go in University. If you're under night classes are teh way to go . Boost your R score then reapply in a program. They need proof that you can do it.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
PyrettaBlaze

If I were you, I would apply to a very simple program like Social Sciences. From there, work your ASS off and be consistent. Once the semester is done, apply for a program transfer and pick the one you really want to go in to.

Also, have you considered applying to a different Cegep? I know Dawson (I go there) has very low admission requirements .

One more thing, March 1st is usually the deadline for applying to the Fall semester, but don't get discouraged because of that. You can always apply for the Winter semester. It's never too late.

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:41 PM
habsrule4eva3089

i did apply at a new cegep. At Champlain st. lambert... and i'm trying to convince them to accept me in any program... i'm just hoping it works out because they didn't accept me in science. Then like you said i'll just have to work my ass off then switch.

Old
03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
How old are you? If you're over 21 screw college jsut go in University. If you're under night classes are teh way to go . Boost your R score then reapply in a program. They need proof that you can do it.
i'm under 21.

Old
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
i did apply at a new cegep. At Champlain st. lambert... and i'm trying to convince them to accept me in any program... i'm just hoping it works out because they didn't accept me in science. Then like you said i'll just have to work my ass off then switch.
Not getting accepted in the Sciences isn't the end of the world, you know? There are MANY different options. But, if you're determined to get in the sciences, then don't give up. And if you ever do get accepted to the sciences, take your time to complete it. Don't be afraid to drop classes you find difficult (I had to drop Organics this semester since it was such a *****), and just re-take them in the summer.

Old
03-25-2009, 03:49 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
If you're talking about Independent student or Etudiant libre, he needs a DEC to enter.

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Not getting accepted in the Sciences isn't the end of the world, you know? There are MANY different options. But, if you're determined to get in the sciences, then don't give up. And if you ever do get accepted to the sciences, take your time to complete it. Don't be afraid to drop classes you find difficult (I had to drop Organics this semester since it was such a *****), and just re-take them in the summer.
Okayyy i understand that...but my problem is that i haven't been in school for a bit and they rejected my application in the program i requested. I just want a fresh start in cegep and I have no clue how to get it.
The thing i just need to be registered for the next semester in any program at this point and from then i'll move into scienec. I've contacted them again to see if they can put me in any program but no response yet... what can i do, if anything to show them i should be registered in any program for the upcoming fall...(like anything in the summer or something of that sort.)

Old
03-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Magic33

I dont know the situation in terms of money, but what about a private school like Lasalle College? I dont know what programs they have, but there may be other schools similar that have a science program?

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
If you're talking about Independent student or Etudiant libre, he needs a DEC to enter.
I'm pretty sure he can enter as a mature student without a DEC if he's over 21 and has not been in school for I think 2 years.

To the OP, I suggest applying to Dawson in social sciences. Get good grades and then re-apply in sciences. Talk to the academic advisers, they are personable and will try to help you.

You can also enter as an independent student (at a CEGEP) and take night courses. Try to accumulate credits there.

If you're motivated you can do it.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
For the ppl in MTL or anyone who knows anything about it pleasee reply........I applied to champlain college st. lambert and i just received my rejection from the school in the science program. i've basically left school a while back during which I was registered in john abbott.I basically failed courses and was thrown out of the school. I applied to champlain hoping to start attending school again for the fall 09 and now i dont' know what to do to get back in. I know they don't give a crap about what happens to you but Is there anyway I can get a fresh new start at cegep ...Please can ssomeone help me. I made a stupid mistake in my life and if you met me you wouldn't believe i'd have a problem like this, i'm a pretty intellectual individual. I don't know what to do..how to get this sorted. I might as well commit suicide if i don't go to cegep for the upcoming fall. I really need to get my life back on track, please if anyone can help me reply to this and/or contact me...pleaseee
Maybe you should go talk to the "counselors" at the College instead of trying to get answers of a hockey website.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Batarnac

Quote:
Don't commit suicide, you'd regret it for the rest of your li...

I did the same thing in cegep, but I never went back and still found a good rewarding job.

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:16 PM
ScherbakAttack

You can always to go to New-Brunswick and skip Cegep =p. We don't have it and the University in Moncton would take pretty much anyone I think. I did 3 years there and it's a pretty nice place. Just be sure you actually want to do what you apply in. You could always just do 1 year in any program to get good grades and apply elsewhere after. A lot of people do 2 years in biochemistry or a similar program called diploma of health sciences to apply in med school, pharmacy, etc, afterwards. They don't count your highschool average or anything.

I know it would require you to relocate; just keep it in mind for a last ditch option. I've seen people applying in August and get in but you might want to look @ their website or call them to ask about your situation and if they would take you.

I know prices vary for out of province students so be sure you can afford it too.

Anyways, it might not be the best option for you but if you can't find a Cegep that wants you it could be something to look at.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Caekslap

I've asked a couple of academic advisers about this last year. They told me once you

get a certain mark or you fail a course, it stays in your file forever. Which is in my

opinion pretty stupid, but understandable. (CEGEPs are government financed, in other

words, it's a public institution. It would cost them more if everyone started a semester,

dropped out, then came back again)

What I would suggest for you to do:

- Forget about getting into a science program for now. Try a social science program (e.g. Commerce)

- You may have to start with night classes. What they do is that they give you core courses such as Humanities, English, French, etc. Then they see if you're serious about this or not and eventually add classes specific to your program.

- When you're at this point, you can start taking normal (day) classes the next semester.

- If you do well, you can apply for a program change. Basically you'll only do chemistry/physics/math because you'll already have completed the core courses.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
I believe you should first give a call to any Cegep that rejected you and get as much information on what they expect as possible. They could give you alternatives or at least clues on what to do next.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caekslap View Post
I've asked a couple of academic advisers about this last year. They told me once you

get a certain mark or you fail a course, it stays in your file forever. Which is in my

opinion pretty stupid, but understandable. (CEGEPs are government financed, in other

words, it's a public institution. It would cost them more if everyone started a semester,

dropped out, then came back again)

What I would suggest for you to do:

- Forget about getting into a science program for now. Try a social science program (e.g. Commerce)

- You may have to start with night classes. What they do is that they give you core courses such as Humanities, English, French, etc. Then they see if you're serious about this or not and eventually add classes specific to your program.

- When you're at this point, you can start taking normal (day) classes the next semester.

- If you do well, you can apply for a program change. Basically you'll only do chemistry/physics/math because you'll already have completed the core courses.
Or you can always move to Guatemala and open a KFC.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

It's not the end of the world. Like many others have said, the logical course of action after being rejected in the program of your choice is to go into social science and bust your ****ing ass off.

Sort of like you, I was in Science at Vanier and i basically ****ed myself over failing Math and Chem and passing Physics by the skin of my teeth.

I got booted from the program, so I spent a semester in Social Science, studied my ass off, but unlike your case I didn't re-apply to Science but took Computer Science (regardless the end result should be the same).

Not to mention since it seems you want to go to a science related field in University you will need to fix what probably is an awful R score (don't get me started with that, a whole other rant), so a semester in social science can't hurt.

I went from a 24 R score to a 27 in once semester. In my transcript to give you an example I took a CALCULUS 1 course got an 80 which wasn't a great mark (to me at least I ****ed up badly on the last test, I could of had a 96% final mark) and the class average was like 54% so I was 26% above average and the R score for that course alone was like a 34.

Seriously the CEGEP system while having glaring flaws, is very forgiving to people who **** up.

Last edited by Sined: 03-26-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Ford Prefect

This was ages ago, but the same thing happened to me when I was in CEGEP. I had an exceptional first semester, then completely lost interest and just stopped going. For a straight year my marks were zero in everything except for phys. ed., and I only went to that because I liked to work out (it was a weight lifting course or something).

Anywho, a few years later I realized I needed an education, and reapplied. I can't remember having any issue getting back in, though I think I might have had to sign some sort of social contract or something, where I promised to make my classes and participate. I think I also was required to report to an academic adviser more frequently. I made the honour role every semester, with my last semester having a stellar average of 91.8%.

I was worried as well that no university would take me because it reduced my average drastically. I spoke to the people at Abbott, and asked to have that year expunged from my record, and they told me that I could not. This was before this R rating system or whatever you've got there. I did manage to get a letter from Dean or whoever of the programme that I forwarded with my application, and got admitted to university, no muss no fuss. My suggestion may be to speak to the academic adviser or department chair and see if you can work something like that out with them. If they won't, do it yourself - write a letter and explain your situation - have them examine your record in more detail, specifically the (hopefully) positive arc in your grades. Some universities may disregard your worst semester or something, to try and get a more balanced view of an applicant.

Fast forward 10 years, I now have 3 more degrees (2 post-grads) and a cushy job earning a good salary, so it all turns out in the end. I think institutions realize that at that age people might not be aware of what they want to do in life, and might not take CEGEP as seriously as they should. I wouldn't fret about it, I think a lot people are in the same boat as you.

Oh, the bad news: I work (and live) in Toronto now.

Oh, and the worse news: My gf is a Laffs fan

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Oh, the bad news: I work (and live) in Toronto now.

Oh, and the worse news: My gf is a Laffs fan
Dude, I think he wanted people who would encourage him to get a degree, not tell him horror stories!!

(kidding, hehe)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
giovanni

you can also apply for night school at vanier. I'm in the social sceince program and the teacher there are very easy. You can **** up a semeter and they will still let you come back the next semeter. I screwed and failed 4 of 6 classes with marks like 14, 20, 17 because I did not try. After I went on acadmic probation and did well. Now i'm in my last semester at vanier. the point is do not give up there is still a lot of time to do something.

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
I go to Champlain, and like you, before I had applied to my program I had taken 2 years off school. I had actually went to Vanier and Dawson before taking time off and my marks were abysmal. In short, I had to write them a letter explaining why I dropped out of school, why I was ready to come back and why I chose Champlain. I then had to go in for an interview with one of their course people to talk about everything.

When they decided to accept me I was on Academic Probation, meaning I couldn't fail any of my classes and I was scheduled to meet with the counselors once a month, I never went because I was maintaining a 80+ in all my classes and they never hassled me to go. It may just be because your program is extremely selective about who gets in, but phone the school and talk to them, they'll be able to help you. The dean in particular is a very cool guy. But as others have said, you may need to enter a program like social and just focus on getting basics like english, french, etc out of the way and then you can transfer the next semester. I hope I manged to answer your question

Edit: And don't think the staff at the school doesn't give a crap about what happens to you, that is very simply not true. You need to phone and the school or go there and find out what you need to do to get in, and then you need to follow through with that.

Last edited by Orpheus: 03-25-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Clarity
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by doalateralus View Post
I go to Champlain, and like you, before I had applied to my program I had taken 2 years off school. I had actually went to Vanier and Dawson before taking time off and my marks were abysmal. In short, I had to write them a letter explaining why I dropped out of school, why I was ready to come back and why I chose Champlain. I then had to go in for an interview with one of their course people to talk about everything.

When they decided to accept me I was on Academic Probation, meaning I couldn't fail any of my classes and I was scheduled to meet with the counselors once a month, I never went because I was maintaining a 80+ in all my classes and they never hassled me to go. It may just be because your program is extremely selective about who gets in, but phone the school and talk to them, they'll be able to help you. The dean in particular is a very cool guy. But as others have said, you may need to enter a program like social and just focus on getting basics like english, french, etc out of the way and then you can transfer the next semester. I hope I manged to answer your question

Edit: And don't think the staff at the school doesn't give a crap about what happens to you, that is very simply not true. You need to phone and the school or go there and find out what you need to do to get in, and then you need to follow through with that.
I did call and now they're saying how every program is full and do one course during the night for the fall semester. I tried asking them if I can do that one course during the summer but apparently not... what should I do now...Is there anyway you think I can make them see to do that course somewhere in the summer rather than do it through a 6 month period for the fall?

Old
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
I did call and now they're saying how every program is full and do one course during the night for the fall semester. I tried asking them if I can do that one course during the summer but apparently not... what should I do now...Is there anyway you think I can make them see to do that course somewhere in the summer rather than do it through a 6 month period for the fall?
Why do you absolutely have to start this fall? You can always wait for the Winter semester...

Old
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
habsrule4eva3089

It's kinda crucial I do...i rather not discuss.