HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Atl- Chi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2009, 02:37 AM
  #1
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: place
Country: United States
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Atl- Chi

To CHI: Lehtonen (signed) + Esposito

To ATL: Huet (5.625) + Barker (signed)

Chicago gets the younger, better goalie and a boom/bust type prospect in Esposito. They also save some cap space to resign Havlat. Atlanta gets a decent goalie to man the pipes until Pavelec is ready and a up-and-coming defenseman in Barker. Would Versteeg work better than Barker in this trade?

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:43 AM
  #2
jimmy1100
Registered User
 
jimmy1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
I thought that was you.

It's a good proposal as far as I can tell.

Are you assuming that Chicago then uses the cap space to sign re-sign Khabibulin? Because I don't see Chicago getting crazy with their goalie situation (i.e handing it off to Lehtonen who's been questionable lately). At least in Huet, they know exactly what they have heading into next year. And his solid final game against Detroit probably only made them feel mmore confident that they could go without Khabibulin.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:48 AM
  #3
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: place
Country: United States
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
I thought that was you.

It's a good proposal as far as I can tell.

Are you assuming that Chicago then uses the cap space to sign re-sign Khabibulin? Because I don't see Chicago getting crazy with their goalie situation (i.e handing it off to Lehtonen who's been questionable lately). At least in Huet, they know exactly what they have heading into next year. And his solid final game against Detroit probably only made them feel mmore confident that they could go without Khabibulin.
They could pull a Lehtonen-Khabby tandem that would be super solid. I would assume that be ideal as long as Bulin signs for a year. A longer contract would really hamper them trying to resign guys like Kane and Toews. However, Chicago also has a young goalie in Niemi who has showed a lot of promise. He's comparable to Quick in lots of ways. Having Lehtonen play 55-60 games and Niemi the rest could be another solution. Besides, I don't see Lehtonen as all that questionable. He had a high GAA but that's because Atlanta plays a very north-south type offense that opens lots of holes.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:16 AM
  #4
blankspace6
 
blankspace6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Georgia
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
To CHI: Lehtonen (signed) + Esposito

To ATL: Huet (5.625) + Barker (signed)

Chicago gets the younger, better goalie and a boom/bust type prospect in Esposito. They also save some cap space to resign Havlat. Atlanta gets a decent goalie to man the pipes until Pavelec is ready and a up-and-coming defenseman in Barker. Would Versteeg work better than Barker in this trade?
Yes, because we're not sold on Pavelec and Lehtonen is a better goalie than Huet.

Even with Versteeg, this deal doesn't happen from an Atlanta stand point.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:18 AM
  #5
Proby24
Registered User
 
Proby24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
As a Hawks fan I say yes and I actually think it's a pretty fair trade with the Hawks giving up just a tad more because of the cap.

Would Atlanta do it though?

Proby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:29 AM
  #6
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,404
vCash: 500
Make it Versteeg and a 2nd instead of Barker and the Hawks are in.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:29 AM
  #7
blankspace6
 
blankspace6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Georgia
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby24 View Post
As a Hawks fan I say yes and I actually think it's a pretty fair trade with the Hawks giving up just a tad more because of the cap.

Would Atlanta do it though?
No. For reasons, see above.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:37 AM
  #8
salty justice
Registered User
 
salty justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Albania
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Make it Versteeg and a 2nd instead of Barker and the Hawks are in.
So you think Barker is worth Versteeg and a 2nd while blankspace thinks ATL would rather have Versteeg.

I'm not sure it's worth upgrading Huet for Lehtonen, which may or not work out, while giving up Versteeg or Barker. If we give up either of those guys it should be to significantly improve the position.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:22 AM
  #9
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
So you think Barker is worth Versteeg and a 2nd while blankspace thinks ATL would rather have Versteeg.

I'm not sure it's worth upgrading Huet for Lehtonen, which may or not work out, while giving up Versteeg or Barker. If we give up either of those guys it should be to significantly improve the position.
blankspace says ATL doesn't do it so I say we're willing to sweeten the pot a bit.

I like Esposito and I like the deal from a cap space perspective (dependent on Lehtonen's contract, of course).

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:02 AM
  #10
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,822
vCash: 500
No from Atlanta.

It doesn't solve any of their major needs for a top 6 winger and a defensive defenseman.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:02 AM
  #11
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 500
uh, no from atlantas standpoint

sorry chicago, youre stuck with Huet and that atrocious contract

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:20 AM
  #12
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
value wise one of the better proposals on here. but i doubt ATL does it

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:51 AM
  #13
99 steps
to the top
 
99 steps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: RV, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
uh, no from atlantas standpoint

sorry chicago, youre stuck with Huet and that atrocious contract
Right. Because he's the very worst goaltender in the league.



How did your goaltending situation work out last year? Playoffs? Ok.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:39 AM
  #14
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I'm not taking jabs here. I don't know the answer...so I'm asking. How many years has Lehtonen been in the league...and during that tenure...how many times has he made the playoffs? How many full seasons (without injury) does he have under his belt?

I like the trade proposal...honestly. One of the better ones on here. I'm not even overly enamored with Esposito...but hey...I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a wing and a prayer. Who knows.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
  #15
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Hawks take this and run.

Espo is still salvagable, has enormous potential, and the Hawks would get rid of one of the worst contracts in hockey.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:48 AM
  #16
iceless
-`ღ-
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
I'm not taking jabs here. I don't know the answer...so I'm asking. How many years has Lehtonen been in the league...and during that tenure...how many times has he made the playoffs? How many full seasons (without injury) does he have under his belt?
If you're being serious... just take a quick glance at hockeydb for all your answers.
If you were proposing those questions as if to mock Lehtonen for having one p*** poor year after the other, then save it. The stats tell very little in this case as you have to look at the ATL team as a whole.

Current value says that Lehtonen >>> Huet. I'm sure most would agree.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:48 AM
  #17
fatschoonerrat
Registered User
 
fatschoonerrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Right. Because he's the very worst goaltender in the league.



How did your goaltending situation work out last year? Playoffs? Ok.
Right, b/c Huet is the reason your franchise rose from the ashes.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
  #18
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,955
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
No from Atlanta.

It doesn't solve any of their major needs for a top 6 winger and a defensive defenseman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Right. Because he's the very worst goaltender in the league.



How did your goaltending situation work out last year? Playoffs? Ok.
I think the Huet contract is bad and I think he is not worth the money he is getting paid and I think it will hurt the hawks that contract

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
  #19
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers
 
RoyalAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SE Tennessee
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
I honestly see absolutely no reason why Atlanta does this. It doesn't solve any of their problems, and it still leaves them with 3 NHL goaltenders AND more cap space eaten up by bad contracts. In today's NHL, if you're making deals for cap space, you better be sure that when you're jettisoning bad contracts, those contracts at least belong to the better players in the deal. Not the case here.

Tallon gave out all that money last offseason. He's going to have to deal with it, or the future Blackhawks "dynasty" is going to be grounded before it ever takes flight.

RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:02 PM
  #20
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
I'm not taking jabs here. I don't know the answer...so I'm asking. How many years has Lehtonen been in the league...and during that tenure...how many times has he made the playoffs? How many full seasons (without injury) does he have under his belt?

I like the trade proposal...honestly. One of the better ones on here. I'm not even overly enamored with Esposito...but hey...I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a wing and a prayer. Who knows.
to answer your questions

03-04 games played 4(call up)
05-06 games played 38(injured, thrashers missed playoffs by one game)
06-07 games played 68(only full season, only season thrashers have ever made the playoffs, played 2 playoff games, thrashers were swept)
07-08 games played 48(injured)
08-09 games played 46(injured)

i don't think it's a coincidence that his only full seas was the only season the thrashers ever made the playoffs

out of 4 seasons where he was on the opening day roster he has been injured in 3 of them

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
  #21
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
If you're being serious... just take a quick glance at hockeydb for all your answers.
If you were proposing those questions as if to mock Lehtonen for having one p*** poor year after the other, then save it. The stats tell very little in this case as you have to look at the ATL team as a whole.

Current value says that Lehtonen >>> Huet. I'm sure most would agree.
I said I was NOT taking jabs. That would mean I was not mocking Lehtonen. I did not know...so I asked. Jesus Christ. Why do you have to get all bent when I requested answers to things I do not know? That being said, could you please answer them? Thank you.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
  #22
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
to answer your questions

03-04 games played 4(call up)
05-06 games played 38(injured, thrashers missed playoffs by one game)
06-07 games played 68(only full season, only season thrashers have ever made the playoffs, played 2 playoff games, thrashers were swept)
07-08 games played 48(injured)
08-09 games played 46(injured)

i don't think it's a coincidence that his only full seas was the only season the thrashers ever made the playoffs

out of 4 seasons where he was on the opening day roster he has been injured in 3 of them
Thank you for being straight forward and forthcoming with your answers. What kinds of injuries has he been plagued by? Are they different, or does it seem to be a reoccurring injury? I've never questioned Lehtonen's ability, when healthy. I don't think one full season is enough of a sample to really determine what he could be. There seem to be a few good goaltenders in the league (see also DiPietro) that just can't seem to stay healthy to save their lives.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
  #23
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Thank you for being straight forward and forthcoming with your answers. What kinds of injuries has he been plagued by? Are they different, or does it seem to be a reoccurring injury? I've never questioned Lehtonen's ability, when healthy. I don't think one full season is enough of a sample to really determine what he could be. There seem to be a few good goaltenders in the league (see also DiPietro) that just can't seem to stay healthy to save their lives.
first season
groin injury(35 games)
3rd season
groin injury(16 games)
4th season
back injury(believed to be induced by flu symptoms)(21 games)
concussion symptoms(6 games)

he had a sprained ankle at some point too but i can't remember when

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
  #24
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
Lehtonen got over his groin problems by working out and being in good shape.

i think his injury last year was more of a one time thing, but only time will tell.

if he gets another groin injury all bets are off

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
  #25
AintLifeGrand
Registered User
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thrasherville, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,743
vCash: 500
to Atlanta: Patrick Sharp
to Chicago: Lehtonen, Espo, Todd White

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.