HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What do you guys think of Ron MacLean?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
What do you guys think of Ron MacLean?

During the few years I've been able to watch him, he's always struck me as probably the most level-headed guy I've seen among any of the CBC, TSN or Rogers sportscasters. However I don't think I've ever heard him call a game. Does he do playoff games or Cup games for the CBC, or is he strictly in-studio commentary?

Old
03-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
During the few years I've been able to watch him, he's always struck me as probably the most level-headed guy I've seen among any of the CBC, TSN or Rogers sportscasters. However I don't think I've ever heard him call a game. Does he do playoff games or Cup games for the CBC, or is he strictly in-studio commentary?
strictly in studio.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Superfluous U

I doubt Ron would be any good as a colour guy. He's level headed, generally knows his hockey, and I like him in his role a lot. I just can't see him actually doing a broadcast.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:04 PM
#44_delivers

never liked ron, there's something about him
plus i EXTREAMLY hated the way he interviewed gary bettman

Old
03-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Iggy-4-50

I like Ron,even had a few drinks with him a few years ago and he's realy down to earth but sadly i am not amused with his "pro" NHLPA cr@p lately,his roots are small town but Toronto has givin him brain f@rts

Old
03-15-2004, 09:24 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy

ROFL, you should see him ref a game. One of the worst refs in the history of hockey. He would give a guy 2 mins for spitting on the ice.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:31 PM
loveshack2

I like Ron mostly, but like others I can't stand the way he acts around Bettman.

It's as if someone has implanted a post-hypnotic suggestion that he must act like a total dink whenever he's on TV with Gary.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:36 PM
leafaholix*

He's CBC's top dog.

He's also a great person.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:41 PM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
I dont think coaches corner is anything without Don Cherry AND Ron Maclean...Without Ron it wouldnt as entertaining IMO....I mean i know don is the real man on coaches corner but His and Rons lil arguments are a bit entertaining and funny and ive been enjoying them for years and years

Old
03-15-2004, 10:37 PM
albathegreat*

Ron Maclean

Old
03-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almothegreat
Ron Maclean
Agreed. He grilled Colin Campbell last Saturday and made him look like a fool. I've always liked Ron, aside from his blatant ass-kissing

Old
03-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
He's CBC's puppet

Old
03-15-2004, 11:42 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan
Agreed. He grilled Colin Campbell last Saturday and made him look like a fool. I've always liked Ron, aside from his blatant ass-kissing
He interviews well. However, if he's caught off guard(like his interviews with Bettman and Burke), he backpedals pretty quickly.

Old
03-15-2004, 11:51 PM
ohlund2.2

Ron kicks ass. And no matter how much I hate Cherry, HNIC wouldn't be the same without him.

Old
03-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Looger

hockey night in canada is a lot less don and a lot more ron in my opinion than most people realize.

he leads and baits cherry as well as slipping in some of the quickest puns i have ever seen in a live show.

Old
03-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

CBC and NHLPA lacky.

Old
03-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looger
hockey night in canada is a lot less don and a lot more ron in my opinion than most people realize.

he leads and baits cherry as well as slipping in some of the quickest puns i have ever seen in a live show.
I was so shocked on Saturday when he didn't end Coach's Corner with a trademark pun. It just didn't seem right.
As far as backpedalling off Burke goes, Burke was on a pretty good rant, and when he gets that way, its generally best to just let him have it out.
I'm not so quick to call him a NHLPA sympathizer. I've never seen him interview Goodenow, but generally he just tries to challenge the people he is interviewing to defend their points. The Bettman interview definately could have been better, but I'd rather see him interviewed by someone who seemed pro-NHLPA than someone who would just accept Gary's rhetoric for answers. Make Bettman defend his numbers and assertions. I would hope for the same if Ron interviewed Goodenow.

Old
03-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

I like Ron McLean, but he's no Jim Van Horne.

Old
03-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Capt Tuttle

Cheerleader Ron and Cheerleader Don. To keep their ratings up, they cater to the majority of the viewing audience by cheering on Toronto. If they catered to my team like that, I'd like them as well.

I lost a lot of respect for McLean over the years, particularly when Cherry called him Dummy and other names and he just sat there and took it!

Old
03-16-2004, 10:23 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous U
I was so shocked on Saturday when he didn't end Coach's Corner with a trademark pun. It just didn't seem right.
As far as backpedalling off Burke goes, Burke was on a pretty good rant, and when he gets that way, its generally best to just let him have it out.
I'm not so quick to call him a NHLPA sympathizer. I've never seen him interview Goodenow, but generally he just tries to challenge the people he is interviewing to defend their points. The Bettman interview definately could have been better, but I'd rather see him interviewed by someone who seemed pro-NHLPA than someone who would just accept Gary's rhetoric for answers. Make Bettman defend his numbers and assertions. I would hope for the same if Ron interviewed Goodenow.
He interviewed both Goodenow and Bettman during the all star game. He was equally respectful/direspectful to both. Challenged them on grey areas and didn't let either beat around the bush on sensitive questions.

Old
03-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Good accounts all. Haven't seen him ref a game, nor do I claim he's a good ref -- just a good broadcaster. He does seem a little timid at times around Cherry. Sometimes though when Cherry calls him names or cuts him off, he just gets this hilarious expression on his face. You can almost see him thinking "I can't believe this guy thinks himself clever. Maybe if I just sit here he'll loud-mouth himself into a corner...."

Old
03-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
He interviewed both Goodenow and Bettman during the all star game. He was equally respectful/direspectful to both. Challenged them on grey areas and didn't let either beat around the bush on sensitive questions.
Good, exactly what I would have expected from him. I missed the Goodenow interview I guess.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:03 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
That is not true. I saw those interviews and he treated Goodenow and the NHLPA with kid gloves while he practically went after Bettman like a rabid pittbull.

Old
03-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
I disagree, he was much more aggresive towards Bettman. It seemed clear which side he preferred.

To me it seems that interviewing is definitely MacLean's weak point. Normally, he's fairly easy with his subjects and skirts tough issues. But at times, he tries to be one of those hard hitting journalists, like with Bettman, but it usually just causes bickering or the person is allowed to evade the question.

This was most obvious to me at the Olympics where Brian Williams was able to ask those same tough questions that MacLean tries to but Williams was able to get some real answers.

But, overall I like MacLean though. He keeps stuff loose and to me at least is pretty fair in his assessments.

Old
03-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Fan-of-#9

Ron Mclean is the face of Canadian Hockey IMO.

Closed Thread