HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Bryan McCabe a dirty player?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Sting

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
Is Bryan McCabe a dirty player?

After watching the Leaf's last two games, I saw a trend. After the Habs game, McCabe proceeds to crosscheck Koivu after the game is done. Tonight, he proceeds to nail Briere in the face AFTER the play in overtime. Briere gets up, and receives yet another punch to the face and falls down. No calls on either punch.

So, is McCabe a dirty player? I would say yes, he's an example of what shouldn't be allowed in this league.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
ArtVandelei

He's no Havlat.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
After watching the Leaf's last two games, I saw a trend. After the Habs game, McCabe proceeds to crosscheck Koivu after the game is done. Tonight, he proceeds to nail Briere in the face AFTER the play in overtime. Briere gets up, and receives yet another punch to the face and falls down. No calls on either punch.

So, is McCabe a dirty player? I would say yes, he's an example of what shouldn't be allowed in this league.
It was in the chest smart guy.

He was frustated. He plays with an edge. (excuses used by Senator fans for Havlat)

Old
03-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
It was in the chest smart guy.

He was frustated. He plays with an edge. (excuses used by Senator fans for Havlat)
It's funny how this gets related to Havlat. We aren't talking about him. Also, it was borderline face/neck...whatever the case, it was a double-fisted check in the area...which is dirty.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:26 PM
loveshack2

Brian McCabe did hit Briere. Once as the whistle was being blown and again after the whistle. Both hits were in the chest, and both were with his fist, not his stick. Both times Briere fell flat on his back.

It wasn't exactly a nice thing to do to the guy, but far from dirty.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:

They were crosschecks to the chest, and with his gloves together so he was basically just shoving Briere down. Is that so uncommon? No, not really. Should it be allowed? I don't think so. Will it happen anyway? Probably, and I don't think plays like that are the biggest problem the league has right now. And of course McCabe is no angel, his PIM total over his career attest to that.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Randall Graves*

Who was the Leaf that gave Drury the concussion?it looked almost EXACTLY like what Bertuzzi did to Moore minus the sucker punch. I would hope the NHL doesn't show hypocrissy by not doing anything.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:34 PM
BlueBlood17

It was identical to the whole thing we were talking about in the McCabe/Koivu thread that Bouillon did to Antropov. Briere was at the edge of the crease after a mad scramble, and "expectedly" got hit (to use the words from that thread).

Briere got up right away, and the second shot by McCabe was about as hard as anything my grandmother could develop, and Briere flopped in an attempt to get a call. The original hit should have been a penalty, but the Leafs were already on the PK due to a BS call, so the ref had a guilty conscious.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:34 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Who was the Leaf that gave Drury the concussion?it looked almost EXACTLY like what Bertuzzi did to Moore minus the sucker punch. I would hope the NHL doesn't show hypocrissy by not doing anything.
Yah more Bertuzzi comparisons. Jihad?

Old
03-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
My opinion, yes. He plays a fairly dirty game. However, he's no Marchment.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:44 PM
ATG

Quote:
It's funny how this gets related to Havlat. We aren't talking about him. Also, it was borderline face/neck...whatever the case, it was a double-fisted check in the area...which is dirty.
I asked the question on havlat when he got suspended,How many times mccabe been suspended?I don't think he has

Old
03-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Habsolution

Drury was injured ? Sigh...

Old
03-15-2004, 09:47 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood17
It was identical to the whole thing we were talking about in the McCabe/Koivu thread that Bouillon did to Antropov. Briere was at the edge of the crease after a mad scramble, and "expectedly" got hit (to use the words from that thread).

Briere got up right away, and the second shot by McCabe was about as hard as anything my grandmother could develop, and Briere flopped in an attempt to get a call. The original hit should have been a penalty, but the Leafs were already on the PK due to a BS call, so the ref had a guilty conscious.
I mean Briere is 5'10.McCabe punched him far from the play.It wasn't no flop when Briere couldn't brace himself from a punch by a punk.Why didn't McCabe do that to Mair or Peters?Why pick on the smallest guy?Shows how tough he is.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:47 PM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
Well i dont think McCabe is a dirty player but if you think about it...every players gotta be dirty once in awhile due to frustration

Old
03-15-2004, 09:51 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
I mean Briere is 5'10.McCabe punched him far from the play.It wasn't no flop when Briere couldn't brace himself from a punch by a punk.Why didn't McCabe do that to Mair or Peters?Why pick on the smallest guy?Shows how tough he is.
Far from the play? Briere was standing on the edge of the crease. If Mair or Peters had been standing there I'm sure he would've given them a shove instead.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Why did Brown push down 'old man' Roberts after the whistle? (and not get called for it may I add)

Old
03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
morrow1005

Send a message via AIM to morrow1005 Send a message via Yahoo to morrow1005
Quote:
Why did Brown push down 'old man' Roberts after the whistle? (and not get called for it may I add)
But Roberts can defend himself quite well while Briere is not so good at that.

Old
03-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Roberts took him facefirst into the glass, resulting in the dislodged glass pane and the stoppage in play. Brown, being an aggressive player, went right after Roberts.

McCabe on the other hand, did knock Briere down. His hands were high, in the chin-neck-upperchest area. Whether or not it was a hard shot, none here can actually comment since we neither delivered or received the push/hit/punch/crosscheck.

Old
03-15-2004, 10:16 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
It was Nieuwendyk, and a suspension better be coming... Surprisingly dirty play from a far from dirty player. A play like that can't be tolerated, especially after the Bertuzzi incident.

Old
03-15-2004, 10:18 PM
ArtVandelei

Briere was flopping like the rest of the Sabres tonight. Talk about dirty tactics.

In any case, stick-work is dirty, as is kneeing/elbowing, as is attacking a guy from behind. Pushing/punching a guy in the chest is clean.

Old
03-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre
It was Nieuwendyk, and a suspension better be coming... Surprisingly dirty play from a far from dirty player. A play like that can't be tolerated, especially after the Bertuzzi incident.
Players don't get suspended for shoving other players in a scrum, regardless of who he lands on. Dream on.

Old
03-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Yes Mcabe is dirty
Yes Havlat is dirty
Yes half of the NHL is dirty

Can we have a discussion without the Leafs or the Leaf players being brought up.

Thanks in advance

Old
03-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Can we have a discussion without the Leafs or the Leaf players being brought up.
Yeah really, two Marchment threads and two McCabe threads on the same page.

Old
03-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Newbi

not dirty, but maybe overly agressive..
he cross checks or punches anyone near the net (the other team players )

Old
03-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
McCabe is my most hated player in the NHL. He is dirty as can be but won hold himself accountable and fight unless a guy like Chara grabs a hold of him. A player who plays with an edge with his size ....and doesn't fight....what a puke.

Closed Thread