HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Out of the 4 major sports, who wins the ultimate street fight?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2012, 12:26 AM
  #1
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Out of the 4 major sports, who wins the ultimate street fight?

Kind of chuckled the other day with a friend about this, but it got me thinking. If you ran into a sports team at a bar or on the street who would lay you out the most? Or the least? Who do you stand the best chance against? In my opinion the sport you'd last like to engage in a fight with would be the NFL players:

NFL - All of the linemen are going to be huge - and tall. Having an offensive lineman at 6'6" 320lbs. with sheer strength is not unusual. Or on the defensive end. Ray Lewis is "only" 6'1" 250lbs. but he's fast, strong and mean. Urlacher as well. Most of the QBs are even at least 6'2" with many of them 6'4" or taller. Not as thick, but you still would be at a disadvantage. Then there are tight ends who are 6'6". There are wide receivers who are 6'4" and fast.

NHL - The average size of an NHL player is about 6'1" 200lbs. which is a far cry from the NFL but the advantage the NHLers have is that many of them engage in fights in the game - on skates. Most of them know how to fight. You'll run into enough players who are 6'3" or 6'4". They don't have the sheer size and aren't as big as a house as the NFL linemen but 230lbs. isn't out of the ordinary. Plus they all are fitness freaks.

NBA - Maybe some people put them at #1 but I don't. Not quite. The advantage with the NBA is that they have the tallest players in any sport. There are guys on every team that are 7'0". That alone is scary. The players aren't quite as muscular as the NFL players but they have the height and the "smaller" players are 6'4" and 200lbs. Who would want to have fought Shaq at 7'1" 320lbs? Not me. I give the NHLers the edge here because the tallest NHL players aren't far off from the average NBA height.

MLB - You got to put them 4th. Someone has to go 4th. A lot of Baseball players aren't very tall. Some are, but you don't have to be a giant to play baseball. They are still athletic but would likely be the 4th most athletic out of the 4 major sports. Still wouldn't want to turn against a Baseball team in a bar, but you might have the best chance at survival with baseball players.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:01 AM
  #2
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
Haha! Have HF boards ever made a HOH Top 50 Hockey Fighters of All-Time?

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
  #3
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Kind of chuckled the other day with a friend about this, but it got me thinking. If you ran into a sports team at a bar or on the street who would lay you out the most? Or the least? Who do you stand the best chance against? In my opinion the sport you'd last like to engage in a fight with would be the NFL players:

NFL - All of the linemen are going to be huge - and tall. Having an offensive lineman at 6'6" 320lbs. with sheer strength is not unusual. Or on the defensive end. Ray Lewis is "only" 6'1" 250lbs. but he's fast, strong and mean. Urlacher as well. Most of the QBs are even at least 6'2" with many of them 6'4" or taller. Not as thick, but you still would be at a disadvantage. Then there are tight ends who are 6'6". There are wide receivers who are 6'4" and fast.

NHL - The average size of an NHL player is about 6'1" 200lbs. which is a far cry from the NFL but the advantage the NHLers have is that many of them engage in fights in the game - on skates. Most of them know how to fight. You'll run into enough players who are 6'3" or 6'4". They don't have the sheer size and aren't as big as a house as the NFL linemen but 230lbs. isn't out of the ordinary. Plus they all are fitness freaks.

NBA - Maybe some people put them at #1 but I don't. Not quite. The advantage with the NBA is that they have the tallest players in any sport. There are guys on every team that are 7'0". That alone is scary. The players aren't quite as muscular as the NFL players but they have the height and the "smaller" players are 6'4" and 200lbs. Who would want to have fought Shaq at 7'1" 320lbs? Not me. I give the NHLers the edge here because the tallest NHL players aren't far off from the average NBA height.

MLB - You got to put them 4th. Someone has to go 4th. A lot of Baseball players aren't very tall. Some are, but you don't have to be a giant to play baseball. They are still athletic but would likely be the 4th most athletic out of the 4 major sports. Still wouldn't want to turn against a Baseball team in a bar, but you might have the best chance at survival with baseball players.
hmmm, interesting.

re: the NBA, sure the tallest NHLers are *almost* the same size as the average NBAer, and they would have the advantage of on average having had more experience fighting, being trained (formally or informally) to throw and avoid a punch), but your 6'4" NHLers aren't going to be fighting your average 6'6" NBAer if everyone is in a massive street fight. chara would be fighting some giant like dwight howard, shea weber would be fighting kevin garnett. and that average sized 6'6" NBAer would be fighting an average 6'1" NHLer.

i remember the celebrity boxing match between manute bol and william "the fridge" perry. perry is a huge guy, but manute was 7'7". fridge couldn't get a punch in, even though manute had the physique of a WNBA player.

so i don't know, i can see a reasonable argument for the NBA being numbers one, two, or three. baseball definitely would be at the bottom though. but the x factor is definitely the reach advantage. i mean, we've seen NBA players fight each other and with the playing field leveled, it looks like no one knows how to fight efficiently. but mike keane, pound for pound one of the toughest men i've ever seen on the ice, how's he going to get inside on a guy who's not only 6'6" but has the wingspan of a 6'10" man?


EDIT: now that i've reread the OP and sentoiceden that it's not about football players fighting hockey players, but the average person fighting those guys, it's an even tougher call. i'd say that the vast majority of NFL and NBA players could literally murder any of us with their bare hands. less, but probably more than half of NHLers could too. not so worried about kyle wellwood though.


Last edited by vadim sharifijanov: 11-09-2012 at 03:21 PM.
vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
  #4
VerySuperFamous
Registered User
 
VerySuperFamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
I'd say Myers is a little bigger than 6"8, and probably Chara is bigger than 6"9. Some of the bigger guys could match a lot of the NBA for reach.

I've walked past Myers, he's a giant that towers over everyone. I've met someone who has a picture of him next to a 6"8 NBA player. They're the same height, And he seemed quite a bit shorter than Myers, atleast in comparison to me(maybe and inch or two).

The majority of NBA players could probably win because of reach, but a couple NHL'ers could match them. And besides about half the 7 footers are extremely delicate.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
  #5
Stansfield*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
hmmm, interesting.

re: the NBA, sure the tallest NHLers are *almost* the same size as the average NBAer, and they would have the advantage of on average having had more experience fighting, being trained (formally or informally) to throw and avoid a punch), but your 6'4" NHLers aren't going to be fighting your average 6'6" NBAer if everyone is in a massive street fight. chara would be fighting some giant like dwight howard, shea weber would be fighting kevin garnett. and that average sized 6'6" NBAer would be fighting an average 6'1" NHLer.

i remember the celebrity boxing match between manute bol and william "the fridge" perry. perry is a huge guy, but manute was 7'7". fridge couldn't get a punch in, even though manute had the physique of a WNBA player.

so i don't know, i can see a reasonable argument for the NBA being numbers one, two, or three. baseball definitely would be at the bottom though. but the x factor is definitely the reach advantage. i mean, we've seen NBA players fight each other and with the playing field leveled, it looks like no one knows how to fight efficiently. but mike keane, pound for pound one of the toughest men i've ever seen on the ice, how's he going to get inside on a guy who's not only 6'6" but has the wingspan of a 6'10" man?


EDIT: now that i've reread the OP and sentoiceden that it's not about football players fighting hockey players, but the average person fighting those guys, it's an even tougher call. i'd say that the vast majority of NFL and NBA players could literally murder any of us with their bare hands. less, but probably more than half of NHLers could too. not so worried about kyle wellwood though.
Plan of attack vs NBA players is obvious


I imagine it would be the Ray Lewis', Dwight Howards, and Milan Lucics of the leagues fighting, not the Marvin Harrisons, Chris Pauls and Kyle Wellwoods.

I can't see NFL not being the most dangerous, everyone is massive and most have a not-so-friendly disposition.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
  #6
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
NFL players probably. Half of them are from the hood and they're hulking.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
  #7
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Yeah guys, take this anyway you'd like. It's either a street fight between the sports or the common person and deciding which sport you have the best/worst chance against. Either way, same result.

Now, I think we seem to be agreeing that Baseball is #4 here. It is the top 3 I am thinking about. I still think the NFL is #1 here. They definitely have the strongest players. Many of them can match some NBA players in height and even for the extra height advantage (maybe it's 3 inches?) the extra weight on the NFL players puts them over the top. Look at Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham. Both tight ends. The former is about 6'7" and the latter 6'6". Check out their hands the next time you watch them catch a ball. The football just literally gets lost in their hands. Imagine being punched by that fist. Just way too many 300lbs+ players in the NFL. And I mean 300lbs. the right way. Good height, lots of muscle, still very fast, etc. and let's face it most of them have been in the odd street/bar fight.

Was it Vadim earlier that said NHLers would have a hard time against NBA players? I am starting to agree here too. While the height differential isn't a deal breaker from the NFL to the NBA I am thinking that the height differential from the NHL to the NBA would be. You look at Steve Nash on the court and he's 6'3" but is dwarfed in the NBA. Rick Nash on the other hand is the same height, as is Malkin and they are among the taller percentile here. You look at how hard players in the NHL have it when they fight Chara, well how about if it were Shaq?

Yeah, I'll change my original stance, the NBA beats the NHL in a street fight. There would be some "trees" in the mold of 7'0" going against some tough but significantly smaller NHLers at 6'1".

Just for kicks, I am 6'2" 280lbs. I realize I am still to small and not strong enough for an NHL offensive line but I compete pretty good size wise in the CFL. Does anyone think the CFL players overtake the NBA?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:01 PM
  #8
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
I'm trying to figure out what this topic has to do with the history of hockey. Care to explain?

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:06 PM
  #9
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I'm trying to figure out what this topic has to do with the history of hockey. Care to explain?
It was the best board for this type of thread. The Lounge is just generally silly talk and in a way we are talking about some past players.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
  #10
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It was the best board for this type of thread. The Lounge is just generally silly talk and in a way we are talking about some past players.
One past player so far: Shaquille O'Neal. But numerous present players.

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
  #11
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,042
vCash: 50
Hockey's the only sport that actually incorporates fighting as a legitimate aspect of it, which gives it an advantage. However, anyone who watches boxing/MMA can attest that reach advantage is a huge thing (I know it's not as big in street fights since most street fighters don't know their head from their ass, but nevertheless), so I can definitely see how NBA or NFL would get a nod.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:59 PM
  #12
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 22,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
If you ran into a sports team at a bar or on the street who would lay you out the most?
... how stupid am I that I'd go picking a fight with any of them Phil? Unless Im on psychotics combined with alcohol (which I usually am), packing a Glock fully-auto 9mm (which is never), clip full of hollow points capable of taking down a charging Rhino, not goin there. HOWEVER; rather than the street, can we put them all on skates on the ice, far from the long arm of the Law? Hand pick the hockey players from the Pantheon of Psych Jobs'? If so, your hockey players would absolutely kick ass. Hard-core "gangstas'" from the NBA easy-peasy; NFL refrigerator's & freezers? Burned & embarrassed. And baseball? Wimps. Even with the Roid Rage. They throw punches like little girls for Gawds Sake.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
  #13
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yeah guys, take this anyway you'd like. It's either a street fight between the sports or the common person and deciding which sport you have the best/worst chance against. Either way, same result.

Now, I think we seem to be agreeing that Baseball is #4 here. It is the top 3 I am thinking about. I still think the NFL is #1 here. They definitely have the strongest players. Many of them can match some NBA players in height and even for the extra height advantage (maybe it's 3 inches?) the extra weight on the NFL players puts them over the top. Look at Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham. Both tight ends. The former is about 6'7" and the latter 6'6". Check out their hands the next time you watch them catch a ball. The football just literally gets lost in their hands. Imagine being punched by that fist. Just way too many 300lbs+ players in the NFL. And I mean 300lbs. the right way. Good height, lots of muscle, still very fast, etc. and let's face it most of them have been in the odd street/bar fight.

Was it Vadim earlier that said NHLers would have a hard time against NBA players? I am starting to agree here too. While the height differential isn't a deal breaker from the NFL to the NBA I am thinking that the height differential from the NHL to the NBA would be. You look at Steve Nash on the court and he's 6'3" but is dwarfed in the NBA. Rick Nash on the other hand is the same height, as is Malkin and they are among the taller percentile here. You look at how hard players in the NHL have it when they fight Chara, well how about if it were Shaq?

Yeah, I'll change my original stance, the NBA beats the NHL in a street fight. There would be some "trees" in the mold of 7'0" going against some tough but significantly smaller NHLers at 6'1".

Just for kicks, I am 6'2" 280lbs. I realize I am still to small and not strong enough for an NHL offensive line but I compete pretty good size wise in the CFL. Does anyone think the CFL players overtake the NBA?
this one time years ago, a friend tells me about how steve nash came into the store where he worked. my friend is average sized, like 5'11. he said to me: "he gives me his credit card and i thought in my head 'you're not really steve nash.' he was so tall."

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
  #14
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 22,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
this one time years ago, a friend tells me about how steve nash came into the store where he worked. my friend is average sized, like 5'11. he said to me: "he gives me his credit card and i thought in my head 'you're not really steve nash.' he was so tall."
... not sure which one, or if its both, cant tell them apart, but either one or both of the Sedin's live in my neighbourhood (as do several other ex-NHL'rs).... so Im out walking the down the street one day, this frikin Viking in shorts, legs on him the size of Californian Redwood tree trunks, bit of a girls upper body & a tiny head with a shock of short-cropped bright orange hair who practically blotted out the sun moves by me on the sidewalk. Like some kinda freak show. Now, I socialize with ex-NHL-players, played the game myself, big guys sure. But this one? My God. Felt like James Caviezel in Outlander. Sorry Id forgotten to put on my Highlander Broadsward before leaving the house. Felt I needed it.... anyhoo, he winked and said "hello". Mustve read my thoughts huh vadim?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 06:46 PM
  #15
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 18,026
vCash: 500
The NFL has so many criminals, even murderers.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:04 AM
  #16
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I'm trying to figure out what this topic has to do with the history of hockey. Care to explain?
We need a little history here, indeed.

Lets make this early 1960s.

I'm taking the NBA because they had Wilt at his peak. Most NBA players back then were in much better shape than all of the other sports. NFL players were not as big back then and the guys that were were too slow and fat. It was probably as close to brawling parity as the 4 sports got because everyone was pretty gritty at that time. Billy Martin would have probably gone after Big Daddy Lipscomb (300 pounder played for the Baltimore Colts).

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:18 AM
  #17
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,839
vCash: 500
Who would ever wanna fight Damarcus Ware, Julius Peppers, Nadomakung Suh, or any of those NFLers. Not only are they enormous but they love hurting people

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:35 AM
  #18
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Who would ever wanna fight Damarcus Ware, Julius Peppers, Nadomakung Suh, or any of those NFLers. Not only are they enormous but they love hurting people
True, that's why I put the NFL the undisputed #1. Let's not forget Ray Lewis either. He killed a man once (and I know he was acquitted and turned his life around big time but still, I wouldn't want to tick him off).

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
  #19
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
True, that's why I put the NFL the undisputed #1. Let's not forget Ray Lewis either. He killed a man once (and I know he was acquitted and turned his life around big time but still, I wouldn't want to tick him off).
Hey, I think the story was his buds killed the guy with him present and he helped cover it up.

But yeah some of those NFL guys are scary, not just physically but just the mean sort of guy where you know he's cracked a few skulls and isn't afraid of spilling blood.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
  #20
unknown33
Registered User
 
unknown33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 3,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
He killed a man once
You sure like to judge people and incidents you seem to know very little about.

unknown33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
  #21
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 19,170
vCash: 50
Hockey players all have sticks, so they would win. Baseball players 2nd, as they have bats, but no padding outside helmets.

Unless the hockey players on skates. That's gotta be tough for balance on the pavement.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:01 PM
  #22
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
You sure like to judge people and incidents you seem to know very little about.
More like an accessory, but whatever. He was there.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:38 PM
  #23
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,745
vCash: 500
NFL has to be number one, followed by the NBA.

Then there's a large gap IMO.

I would like to say the NHL comes in at 3 with the MLB at the bottom, but to be honest I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I'll start in depth from the top. NFL players are physical freaks (as are many NBA players.) Football players greatly vary in size though (due to position). Interior lineman are essentially enormous boulders. Huge, sturdy, strong, and quicker than the average man realizes. A lot of times interior lineman are some of the meanest, strongest guys on the field. Outside lineman offensively are mammoths (6'6-6'7) and defensive ends/outside linebackers are huge, explosive, and athletic. These guys are ridiculously quick for their size.

Maybe the most gifted athletes physically are the new aged tight ends. See Vernon Davis, one of the biggest athletic freaks of all time. These guys can catch and run like some WR's, but are bigger and stronger.

Simply put, a lot of these positional players are in a league of their own physically/athletically.

Even the smaller players on NFL rosters (excluding kickers/punters), often times cornerbacks are super scrappy. They have to be physical to be NFL comebacks, period. Fast and physical. Cornerbacks would beat the **** out of most NHL agitators. And linebackers would beat up most NHL heavyweights IMO. NHL players simply wouldn't have a chance against the positions that I earlier elaborated on.

NBA players might be the most athletic. LeBron is probably the best pure athlete in the world IMO. He would have likely been a 1st round NFL had he pursued football. The majority aren't as physical/strong as NFL players, but they are Athletic towers. Just imagine quicker, more athletic Chara's.

NHL vs MLB is a good debate. I really can't imagine RHN, Kane, Gerby, etc being favored against anyone. Maybe Zito would be a fun fight to watch against them. NHL heavyweights are big boys, but so are many 1st basemen and DH's. A lot of late inning bullpen guys have good size and could probably throw a vicious overhand/hook. NHL players get an advantage with having to deal with physical play on a much more consistent basis, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are actually good fighters. Just like the typically non physical game doesn't mean that MLB players can't fight. I think in this discussion most guys are gonna only look at NHL players that can fight instead of looking at the league as a whole.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:56 PM
  #24
RECsGuy*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
NFL players probably. Half of them are from the hood and they're hulking.
The cowering Caucasian mentality.

Always good for a laugh.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:02 AM
  #25
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
NFL has to be number one, followed by the NBA.

Then there's a large gap IMO.

I would like to say the NHL comes in at 3 with the MLB at the bottom, but to be honest I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I'll start in depth from the top. NFL players are physical freaks (as are many NBA players.) Football players greatly vary in size though (due to position). Interior lineman are essentially enormous boulders. Huge, sturdy, strong, and quicker than the average man realizes. A lot of times interior lineman are some of the meanest, strongest guys on the field. Outside lineman offensively are mammoths (6'6-6'7) and defensive ends/outside linebackers are huge, explosive, and athletic. These guys are ridiculously quick for their size.

Maybe the most gifted athletes physically are the new aged tight ends. See Vernon Davis, one of the biggest athletic freaks of all time. These guys can catch and run like some WR's, but are bigger and stronger.

Simply put, a lot of these positional players are in a league of their own physically/athletically.

Even the smaller players on NFL rosters (excluding kickers/punters), often times cornerbacks are super scrappy. They have to be physical to be NFL comebacks, period. Fast and physical. Cornerbacks would beat the **** out of most NHL agitators. And linebackers would beat up most NHL heavyweights IMO. NHL players simply wouldn't have a chance against the positions that I earlier elaborated on.

NBA players might be the most athletic. LeBron is probably the best pure athlete in the world IMO. He would have likely been a 1st round NFL had he pursued football. The majority aren't as physical/strong as NFL players, but they are Athletic towers. Just imagine quicker, more athletic Chara's.

NHL vs MLB is a good debate. I really can't imagine RHN, Kane, Gerby, etc being favored against anyone. Maybe Zito would be a fun fight to watch against them. NHL heavyweights are big boys, but so are many 1st basemen and DH's. A lot of late inning bullpen guys have good size and could probably throw a vicious overhand/hook. NHL players get an advantage with having to deal with physical play on a much more consistent basis, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are actually good fighters. Just like the typically non physical game doesn't mean that MLB players can't fight. I think in this discussion most guys are gonna only look at NHL players that can fight instead of looking at the league as a whole.
Not really.

This is people that fight vs. people that don't. Nolan Ryan is the last baseball player I've seen land a solid punch. When there is a bench clear in baseball these days its usually the coaches that are looking for action.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.