HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse

Old
03-27-2009, 10:46 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolutely View Post
Thanks
I'm trying to make this thread a Latendresse photoshop thread, but unfortunately people prefer bashing him and questioning his late contributions...
Its amazing how much hatred certain fans have for such young players. The Price bashing and Latendresse bashing just makes me laugh. Two 21 year olds that have had their ups and downs over the last couple of years but have such good potential. Why not be happy that Lats has not only been contributing on the scoresheet lately, but has also improved his overall game by leaps and bounds over the last year...??

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Miller Time

I gotta say that I was not so high on Lats in the early going... I suppose it was partly because I felt Kost deserved the opportunity/role Lats got two years ago, and from an asset management pov (more time before UFA/waiver protection), it seemed to be a better idea in my mind to send Lats back to Junior when you had a better Kost ready to play some NHL minutes.

That said, I'm feeling pretty good about Lat's progression to this point. He seems to be playing more often (before and since the injury) with the kind of intensity that will let him make the most of his obvious skill and physical gifts.

If he can stay "hungry", and continue committing to a rigorous offseason program to improve his skating (and keep the excess pounds off), I'd go as far as saying that he's got a very good shot at being an all-star caliber player by his mid-late 20's... just such got puck skills and vision for a big man...

I hope that he and Lapierre develop some off-ice friendship (not sure if it's already the case) and that Lapierre's energy/enthusiasm/commitment continues to rub off on Lats.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Latendresse has really blossomed this year, he looked like he was really starting to come out of his shell before he got injured and thankfully, he picked it right up upon his return.

He would of definately cracked 20 goals this year had he been healthy, 12 goals in 48 games up to now. Has a small chance to break his career high.

But above all, I really like the way Lats and Lapierre have taken on a bigger role this year in terms of being leaders. They're both very young leaders but if you listen to some of their interviews the last few weeks, you can hear a certain maturity and accountability. I think that's going to be key going forward.

Both of those guys worked hard this past summer, Lats got a big faster and in better conditionning and Lapierre got bigger and worked on his offensive game/faceoffs. Another summer like that and these two can have BIG roles next year

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
i saw what you tried to do there

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Latendresse has really blossomed this year, he looked like he was really starting to come out of his shell before he got injured and thankfully, he picked it right up upon his return.

He would of definately cracked 20 goals this year had he been healthy, 12 goals in 48 games up to now. Has a small chance to break his career high.

But above all, I really like the way Lats and Lapierre have taken on a bigger role this year in terms of being leaders. They're both very young leaders but if you listen to some of their interviews the last few weeks, you can hear a certain maturity and accountability. I think that's going to be key going forward.

Both of those guys worked hard this past summer, Lats got a big faster and in better conditionning and Lapierre got bigger and worked on his offensive game/faceoffs. Another summer like that and these two can have BIG roles next year
Especially if Tanguay-Kovalev-Koivu-Lang and Kostopoulos sign elsewhere.

The two are doing very well right now and should keep progressing into important contributors for years to come.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
saints96

Quote:
I think we're merely stating his good stats since he is back from injury, not just because he scored one goal.
5GP 3 goals 1 assist +2
fair enough

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Good post, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I think Gui has finally understood that his role on this team will not be as a finesse player. Last year he tried way too bad to play pretty and such. There's a definite transition this year, it's obvious he changed his play to more of a grinding game, therefore putting his big frame to use for once. I don't know if he's the one who realized it, or if it's the coaching staff that put it in his head, but he's now playing the way he should be. Let's hope he keeps it that way, and I'm sure he will.

I think Lappy has a great influence on Gui. Max is never a quitter and he transmits it to Latendresse. It's good to see two young guys like these who seem to be great friends develop such a great chemistry. I know some see Gui as a top 6 player, but I won't be mad if he becomes an elite third liner with Lapierre, scoring 20 goals a year while being great defensively. Both are coming into their own at the same time and I see them being a great duo for years to come.

If Kovy (or Koivu, or both) leaves this summer, I wouldn't mind seeing Lappy with a A. I think he shows more and more leadership as time comes and he should be gratified for his constant effort and said leadership.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:56 AM
windycity

I'm really encouraged by Lats' progression - I wasn't too high on him in the past and his skating is still a concern (though improving) but he has the potential to be a very strong 3rd line/good 2nd liner at this point. I'd like to see his skating and his intensity/nastiness improve but his progress is encouraging.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Markovskaya

It is said that "big fowards" take the longest to develop. When my friends told me this about Lats I was highly sceptical. He's now proving me wrong, he's actually progressing, and I'm happy for him.

Just keep him away from fast food during the off season

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Riverboat Gambler

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=Gui+Unit

Lol...

didn't workout the best, the first time around but it's bound to this time

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akost View Post
Good post, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I think Gui has finally understood that his role on this team will not be as a finesse player. Last year he tried way too bad to play pretty and such. There's a definite transition this year, it's obvious he changed his play to more of a grinding game, therefore putting his big frame to use for once. I don't know if he's the one who realized it, or if it's the coaching staff that put it in his head, but he's now playing the way he should be. Let's hope he keeps it that way, and I'm sure he will.

I think Lappy has a great influence on Gui. Max is never a quitter and he transmits it to Latendresse. It's good to see two young guys like these who seem to be great friends develop such a great chemistry. I know some see Gui as a top 6 player, but I won't be mad if he becomes an elite third liner with Lapierre, scoring 20 goals a year while being great defensively. Both are coming into their own at the same time and I see them being a great duo for years to come.

If Kovy (or Koivu, or both) leaves this summer, I wouldn't mind seeing Lappy with a A. I think he shows more and more leadership as time comes and he should be gratified for his constant effort and said leadership.
The constant battle you see with young power wingers is the balance between using their size and using their skill, that's one of the reasons those players take a bit longer to hit their prime. Lats can't play like Kostopoulos, he needs to use his hands and vision, he can't play like Plekanec either, he needs to use his frame and run people over. One area I think he can still grow is getting his shot off quicker. He has a good shot and good sense of how to get open but at times he tales a second to release the puck, giving the goalie time to get square and challenge.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I'm really encouraged by Lats' progression - I wasn't too high on him in the past and his skating is still a concern (though improving) but he has the potential to be a very strong 3rd line/good 2nd liner at this point. I'd like to see his skating and his intensity/nastiness improve but his progress is encouraging.
He's already a good 3rd liner, so in terms of potential, you think there isn't any room for improvement?

His ceiling is extremely high, but in order to reach it, he still needs a lot of improvement, but if he achieves these goals, I think he could be a very good first liner with 35 goals and ppg a la Jokinen...

But, he could also stop improving and stay a solid nhler/3rd liner...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I just want to see him get meaner. I'm not saying he has to fight all the time but to throw big hits on a consistent basis and really terrorize opponents. I'd be okay if he doesn't become an offensive force as long as he does that much.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:15 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I just want to see him get meaner. I'm not saying he has to fight all the time but to throw big hits on a consistent basis and really terrorize opponents. I'd be okay if he doesn't become an offensive force as long as he does that much.
Considering he's the Habs' third-best goal-scorer or thereabouts, I don't think offensive production is too much to hope for from him...

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:48 AM
peperebougon*

Please don't quote that saints96 idiot again...ignore lists don't work with quoted posts

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Ya those two have some really great chemistry together. I'm actually quite surprised of Lapierre's skills. He has been pulling some really great moves on the ice and I think we have underated his skills.

Lappy has potential for 20 goals a year on a consistent basis.
No. He's having a great year, got more ice time because the "better" centers have had bad years/injuries, and yet he has 14... He could become a key member of this team in a 3rd liner role, but he's not gonna score 20 regularly.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
lol yeah really, LOL @ this one

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote