HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congrats to Markov

Old
03-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Hermamoud

vCash: 500
Imagine if Markov was playing with San Jose or Detroit. I wonder how many points he'd get in a true powerhouse elite team.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
TinordiandSubban

Sprague Cleghorn = best hockey name ever!

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 10:58 AM

I will never understand how this guy doesn't get more respect for how great a player he is.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Imagine if Markov was playing with San Jose or Detroit. I wonder how many points he'd get in a true powerhouse elite team.
Just to remind you we beat both those team this season

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

At first I thought this was going to be about Markov being like Cleghorn, and Cleghorn was one of the dirtiest players in the league Markov is no where near that.

This would be pretty big accomplishment for Markov though.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
You forgot to mention that his brother Odie Cleghorn (RW) was tied with Sprague with 24 pts but with one less game played!

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Megaforce

Awesome thread.

The Cleghorns were the biggest gangstas ever from Westmount.

Nice'n'vicious just like you like 'em.

They also sorta invented road hockey along with the Patricks and Art Ross.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:30 AM
ti-vite

First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.

"That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son.' (facepalm here)

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
He's gonna be the 1st D to lead the team in points since 1936 i think, lol.

Markov for PM!

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisToLeafsNation View Post
At first I thought this was going to be about Markov being like Cleghorn, and Cleghorn was one of the dirtiest players in the league Markov is no where near that.

This would be pretty big accomplishment for Markov though.
Markov is getting there, he needs a few more lessons from Kostitsyn/Plekanec on how to slewfoot properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I don't think this a reflection on poor team offence, the habs's offence is respectable and barring injuries/PP problems it would be a league leader. Again the habs have a pretty balance offence this season, 7 guys on pace for 50 pts (if they played a full season), but the only one really having an amazing season is Markov and as the #2 ranked D point producer in the league (and no superstar forwards to compete with like Greene has with Ovechkin, or Rafalski has with Datsyuk) he earned that #1 rank ont he habs.
Markov has more assits then everyone on our team has points except Kovy, and our highest goal scorer has 23 goals, and you think the Habs offense is respectable? Out of the top 8 teams in the east, only 2 have scored less goals then the Habs. Granted injuries have been a major part of that, which I clearly stated in my first post, a little more offense from our forwards and we likely wouldn't be in this mess of sitting in 8th place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
You forgot to mention that his brother Odie Cleghorn (RW) was tied with Sprague with 24 pts but with one less game played!
Yea but where's the fun in that?

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Markov is getting there, he needs a few more lessons from Kostitsyn/Plekanec on how to slewfoot properly.

Markov has more assits then everyone on our team has points except Kovy, and our highest goal scorer has 23 goals, and you think the Habs offense is respectable? Out of the top 8 teams in the east, only 2 have scored less goals then the Habs. Granted injuries have been a major part of that, which I clearly stated in my first post, a little more offense from our forwards and we likely wouldn't be in this mess of sitting in 8th place.

Yea but where's the fun in that?
Wow...just incredible.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:45 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Markov has been phenomenal. His passes are ridiculously slick.

I'm so happy we have him.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Would this be the first time a defenseman will end up being to sole point leader of a Montreal Canadiens team(seeing how Sprague was tied with Odie)? If so, that's quite the accomplishment. Markov might go down in Habs history as the only defenseman to lead his team scoring.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Amazing player.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Markovskaya

Markov....what would I do without him. I hope he plays till he's 85..

Old
03-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post

First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.

"That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son.' (facepalm here)
Somebody want to put a CH logo on that guy. He could be the great-great-great grandson of Spague or Odie.

Foghorn Cleghorn.

(Just in case, for those without a sense of humour , I know it's Foghorn Leghorn)

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Somebody want to put a CH logo on that guy. He could be the great-great-great grandson of Spague or Odie.

Foghorn Cleghorn.

(Just in case, for those without a sense of humour , I know it's Foghorn Leghorn)
lol, a possible addition to the playoff avatars

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
After Markov, the only Habs who might've led the team in scoring, to my mind, are Tanguay and Lang. Which reflects well on the Habs improved pro scouting, but not so well on everyone else who was here last season.

If they'd both stayed healthy all year, I don't think the wheels would've come off like they did.
I don't think you can give scouting credit for Tanguay and Lang. Everybody and their dog knew that they were real good players.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Fun to see he isn't even considered for the Norris on the main board. At least half poster don't put him top ten. What's with the underrating? It's obvious he is top 5. I know every hab is overrated according to most non habs fans but this is just ridiculous... The same goes with the subban who can't play defense myth. He plays a VERY SOUND defensive game and have been for quite a while. He is gonna be one of a kind. Yet almost every poster say he can't play defense and won't make it or be a 6th d-man.

I don't get it either. The mentality rather seems to be one that says "the Habs could NEVER get an elite player". It's a negative bias, as always, a wishful thinking of their making. They WISH Markov wasn't as good. They WISH Subban didn't have the potential that he has.

Whether they like it or not, Markov is #2 for points among all Dmen. That's on a total of 291 Dmen in the league.

It's funny all the fuss that's been said about J-Bo, yet he has 37 points in one more game played than Markov. Markov has almost double his points, and I even saw some people here suggest that we should trade him and sign J-Bo for the future.

Only Mike Green surpasses Markov for points, by only 5 points, and yet people on the main board rave on and on and on and on about Green, but Markov, he's overrated, right?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Capitano

Markov is awesome at both ends of the rink...congrats Andrei!

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:28 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Markov is plain awesome and is just entering the prime years of his career. In addition, he is still becoming comfortable with physical play, not shying away in tough games, becoming a silent leader by example on the team. I am very excited for him to continue his great play for a long time.

I belive as most of you do that he will be a career Canadien and it is nice to see in this day and age, he is the type of guy we should love because he will take a home town discount to stay where he is comfortable.

Got to love him, I can't wait to see him assume a teaching role to help young offensive Dmen coming up like Subban and McDo.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:35 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
Markov is plain awesome and is just entering the prime years of his career. In addition, he is still becoming comfortable with physical play, not shying away in tough games, becoming a silent leader by example on the team. I am very excited for him to continue his great play for a long time.

I belive as most of you do that he will be a career Canadien and it is nice to see in this day and age, he is the type of guy we should love because he will take a home town discount to stay where he is comfortable.

Got to love him, I can't wait to see him assume a teaching role to help young offensive Dmen coming up like Subban and McDo.
I cant wait to see him and Subban togheter in the future...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Markovskaya

Andrei, if you read this, you should know you can have my babie anytime you want !!

I am SUCH a fanboy.

Old
03-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Fun to see he isn't even considered for the Norris on the main board. At least half poster don't put him top ten. What's with the underrating? It's obvious he is top 5. I know every hab is overrated according to most non habs fans but this is just ridiculous... The same goes with the subban who can't play defense myth. He plays a VERY SOUND defensive game and have been for quite a while. He is gonna be one of a kind. Yet almost every poster say he can't play defense and won't make it or be a 6th d-man.
I've talked to 417 before about this, but through pms because this place is like a pack of wolves waiting to pounce on you if they disagree. I've been of the opinion that he plays a lot like Lidstrom for years now and he's at a point where he's ready to take the next step and be that good.

We should always keep in mind this guy started playing defense at 20 years old and like most defensemen, he'll only get better with age. I think that were he put on most other teams this year, he would be at 70 points gunning for 80 and a Norris trophy. He's a tremendous all around player with insane hockey sense.

Just look at guys like Rivet, Souray and Streit. They gave the Habs some awesome hockey but were never close to Markov's level, neither defensively nor offensively. They're not that better now, but the teams fans fell in love with what they can bring. Put Andrei on San Jose, Detroit, Washington or Philly and he'd have an insane amount of points.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I think Markov should definitively get Hart trophy consideration.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote