HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blanchard: Ribeiro talking about Koivu

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Totally shameful...by both Blanchard and Ribeiro. Didn't Ribeiro pop up just to talk crap about our team at a crucial point in the season last year too?
Blanchard is the one in Dallas and the one asking the question. Ribeiro is the one responding and never was the type of guy to shut his mouth that's for sure. But what is he saying that is so wrong? They didn't get along. Is that something we didn't know? Sure he blames Koivu for being jealous of him. That's his view. Obviously, without being in the dressing room, we choose not to believe him even if we had no real idea how it went, but it surely wasn't true 'cause.....well 'cause Koivu don't do things like that.

Clearly Blanchard has the agenda of adding more stuff to the Koivu bashing so that Koivu will be out of here. My personal belief, which is a big conspiracy theory, is that there are a whole lot more journalists than we think that does not want Koivu to beat Béliveau's record for the captaincy. And they are just firing all cylinders to not see that happening.

And clearly Blanchard uses a guy who besides putting points on the board, also happens to talk alot as a hobby....

Old
03-27-2009, 08:17 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
**** Disturbor
Indeed that is all he is. This is his side of the story and there are always two sides. I will take Koivu's heart over Ribeiro's any day of the week. Sure the trade was not the best but repeating that over and over is not going to help anything.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
But I also think that you can't have Koivu, Ribs and Pleks as your top 3 centers, cripes would that be the smallest/softest trio of centers in the league. Yea Pleks had an off year this season, but aside from the playoffs, he was great last season, so it's a tough call. Come playoff time, I would want Koivu in the lineup over the 2, as he's shown he's usually our best player in the playoffs.
You know what? I do remember that I was thinking the exact same thing. But then, in an ideal world, we still would be bigger in our first top 2 at center than Pleks and Koivu. I do remember that I did not believe in having those 3. But then with what Ribeiro was showing me during preseason with Kovy made me start to believe that we could be better with Ribs after all and use Pleks as a trade bait. He was younger, had a better reputation, could have got us a better return like....a #6 d-man...

The fact that Koivu and Ribeiro were not getting along is irrelevant for me. Teams have won championships and hated the guts of one another. If the problem was the fact that Koivu would not have seen Ribeiro take the #1 spot, well he would've been better and would've asked for better teamates sooner. It would have been a great rivalry for the good of this team.

Ribeiro did well with us even if people want to believe he didn't. And just remember the teamates he had on his line 'cause some people use that argument to explain why Koivu wasn't that lucky all these years.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
That Ribeiro trade was an absolute disaster, a legitimate number 1 center for a number 7 D.

Whatever type of issues there were with him, if the Dallas Stars organization could solve them then there is no reason why the habs couldn't do the same. But its just all to common for this organization to give up on players only to see them flourish elsewhere
Legitimate #1 center?

Good player, didn't get a good return for sure, but a cancer none the less and I am so happy that he has taken his sorry ass, his stripper wife and ugly family to Dallas.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:22 AM
zzoo

This is one of worst trades in Habs history, only the Turgeon-Corson trade can top it. As for Roy trade, at least we got Rucinsky and Thibeault that contribute to the team.
How could we trade away a young player with some potential against a finished 7th defenceman ??? I din't mind to see Ribeiro leaving Montreal, but the return ....

Old
03-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
aussi populaire que Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau... wow.
LMFAO!!!

no way! the only reason he is good now is beacuse he has to play well to get noticed down there. in MTL he was a pre-madona wussyboy, who thought he was a rockstar and did not have to do shiot because he can get whatever he wants. he never would have become good in MTL. i will admit though that BG got fleeced in this deal, and he should have at least gotten something for ribs other than the HFboards habs photoshop legend. but at the time his value was low, and it was a panik move, and this is what happens when you pull the trigger without patience.

and even if he did score 80 pts in MTL he would never be on the level of those guys. call me when you win some hardware

Old
03-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Naoned

Beautiful love letter to Ribs by Blanchard.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:33 AM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
I lost all my respect for Ribeiro when he did the frying fish during the playoffs. This is not a guy you win with. He's a good center for mediocre team. He will probably end his career in Atlanta or the likes. I was glad we got rid of him, so saying now that we could of get better is too easy.

Hope to see you get fried in the playoffs, Mike...if you get there.
X2. Every time I read Ribeiro's BS, I hate him a little more. ****ing d-bag.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:35 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
This is one of worst trades in Habs history, only the Turgeon-Corson trade can top it. As for Roy trade, at least we got Rucinsky and Thibeault that contribute to the team.
How could we trade away a young player with some potential against a finished 7th defenceman ??? I din't mind to see Ribeiro leaving Montreal, but the return ....
wow, worse then the Roy trade, the one were we traded away perhaps the greatest goalie of all time, and you think losing Ribeiro is worse then that? Roy can you win you cups, Ribs is not a guy I'd want to count heavy on in the playoffs imo.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Thats ****ing BS! Other teams match up their shut down line against him when they play Dallas. Why wouldn't they, he is their number 1 center.
Check the head to head icetime, CH. Richards and Modano split the tough opposition, when healthy.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You know what? I do remember that I was thinking the exact same thing. But then, in an ideal world, we still would be bigger in our first top 2 at center than Pleks and Koivu. I do remember that I did not believe in having those 3. But then with what Ribeiro was showing me during preseason with Kovy made me start to believe that we could be better with Ribs after all and use Pleks as a trade bait. He was younger, had a better reputation, could have got us a better return like....a #6 d-man.
So you would rather have Koivu-Ribs then Koivu-Pleks? I wouldn't as I like Pleks's defensive game, speed, play on the PK and turttle neck power. I know Ribs is taller and both are way too soft for my liking come playoff time. I can see why Gainey felt the need to try and get Sundin and to get us Langer, it's clearly a big problem for us going forward.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Thats ****ing BS! Other teams match up their shut down line against him when they play Dallas. Why wouldn't they, he is their number 1 center.
The facts don't back up what you are saying. Look at the head-to-head stats, Ribiero, in fact, is treated as a #3 center by the opposition. When fully healthy, Brad Richards and Mike Modano are seeing checking lines, not Ribeiro.

And if you think Mike is the Stars #1 center, you ought to talk to the teams coach, cause he's confused and thinks Brad Richards is.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Blanchard is the one in Dallas and the one asking the question. Ribeiro is the one responding and never was the type of guy to shut his mouth that's for sure. But what is he saying that is so wrong? They didn't get along. Is that something we didn't know? Sure he blames Koivu for being jealous of him. That's his view. Obviously, without being in the dressing room, we choose not to believe him even if we had no real idea how it went, but it surely wasn't true 'cause.....well 'cause Koivu don't do things like that.

Clearly Blanchard has the agenda of adding more stuff to the Koivu bashing so that Koivu will be out of here. My personal belief, which is a big conspiracy theory, is that there are a whole lot more journalists than we think that does not want Koivu to beat Béliveau's record for the captaincy. And they are just firing all cylinders to not see that happening.

And clearly Blanchard uses a guy who besides putting points on the board, also happens to talk alot as a hobby....
It's the timing that bothers me, WS, which is why I attribute the blame to both interviewee and interviewer. It's a cop-out to say "well Ribeiro was just answering a question!". He knows our situation, he knows the kind of heat Koivu is under right now, he knows the kind of coverage his answer is going to get in Montreal...if he had any class at all he would refuse to answer the question or at least tell him to ask him again in the off-season. It's not like Blanchard had a gun to his head.

Part of the reason I find Ribeiro's story so bogus is that barely a year later, what happened? Koivu let, for lack of a better term, a younger center surpass him in Plekanec. So either Koivu is conspiring to keep only French Canadians like Ribeiro down, or Ribeiro is talking out of his ass. Which one seems more likely?

Old
03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Yeah... because Brad Richards is out with an injury.

Ribs got a career year last season racking up points playing soft minutes. Good for him, effective for the Stars, but it doesn't make him into a #1 center -- at least not any more than say Saku Koivu is a #1 center. Let's not pretend he's Joe Thornton or something.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So you would rather have Koivu-Ribs then Koivu-Pleks? I wouldn't as I like Pleks's defensive game, speed, play on the PK and turttle neck power. I know Ribs is taller and both are way too soft for my liking come playoff time. I can see why Gainey felt the need to try and get Sundin and to get us Langer, it's clearly a big problem for us going forward.
Ribeiro is not the toughest SOB out there. But I "gained" some respect in that department when we saw the highlight of the game against Calgary where he was destroyed by Phaneuf and then came back in front of the net to score a goal. I believe that with his new confidence came a guy who still great at protecting the puck, still does not initiate too many hits (but does it more nowadays) but does take hits in the process. Still, from watching Dallas from time to time like I'm watching all the other teams, I feel that d-men are more hesitant to engage in a physical contact with him 'cause they're too afraid he'll undress them in the process.

So my answer would be yes. Not only we would be better offensively, but we would have had a better return with Pleks. Having said all of that, it will be far from what I want for my IDEAL lineup at center. With my obsession of drafting big C's, clearly Koivu, Ribs and Pleks are not amongst my favorite players of all time. But in the meantime, since we're not a powerhouse, I would have preferred those 2 instead of having Pleks in there.

Old
03-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
Why does anybody still care about Ribeiro?

Old
03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Indeed that is all he is. This is his side of the story and there are always two sides. I will take Koivu's heart over Ribeiro's any day of the week. Sure the trade was not the best but repeating that over and over is not going to help anything.
Well, surely one could be against the trade without putting Ribeito in the super-elite category of Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur!!!

BLanchard

Old
03-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Ribeiro played his last season in Montreal in 05-06. THREE SEASONS AGO. When will the media and fans get the **** over him?

Old
03-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's the timing that bothers me, WS, which is why I attribute the blame to both interviewee and interviewer. It's a cop-out to say "well Ribeiro was just answering a question!". He knows our situation, he knows the kind of heat Koivu is under right now, he knows the kind of coverage his answer is going to get in Montreal...if he had any class at all he would refuse to answer the question or at least tell him to ask him again in the off-season. It's not like Blanchard had a gun to his head.

Part of the reason I find Ribeiro's story so bogus is that barely a year later, what happened? Koivu let, for lack of a better term, a younger center surpass him in Plekanec. So either Koivu is conspiring to keep only French Canadians like Ribeiro down, or Ribeiro is talking out of his ass. Which one seems more likely?
I understand. But Ribeiro is not the most mature guy out there even at his age, like we're seeing with our younger guys. So he is still bitter for leaving. But then what it tells me is that while he's doing much better in Dallas, while he doesn't have Koivu around, while all of this, he still feels he would have succeed here and would still preferred staying. You would never be able to shut up a Ribeiro like you had all the trouble in the world to shut up a Avery, a Roenick or other players.

But then, I will be really surprised if this interview would have any kind of repercussion in our dressing room or even in the fanbase. If we would still be losing, I would say yes. But now with 2 wins in a row, with Koivu's goal last night, no matter what he said, people are behind our team and Koivu. What I've always hated about Ribeiro is the fact that he rarely took his responsabilities for what had happened. I know he said it once, saying that he wasn't the most mature guy, but then when they keep talking to him about it, seems that he doesn't repeat it. So yes, he's not the most mature. But then, if he backs it up with his performance, why wouldn't it be something we would be able to deal with? If he doesn't, well then sure ship him to Mongolia, but then he talks but also happen to walk.

As far as which part of the story is true, well it could be a little bit of both. Don't believe that Koivu had something against him because he was french, but clearly he had something against him because of how he was handling himself. Like I'm probably not convince Koivu appreciates how the Kostitsyns are handling themselves as well.

Old
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Ribeiro is not the toughest SOB out there. But I "gained" some respect in that department when we saw the highlight of the game against Calgary where he was destroyed by Phaneuf and then came back in front of the net to score a goal. I believe that with his new confidence came a guy who still great at protecting the puck, still does not initiate too many hits (but does it more nowadays) but does take hits in the process. Still, from watching Dallas from time to time like I'm watching all the other teams, I feel that d-men are more hesitant to engage in a physical contact with him 'cause they're too afraid he'll undress them in the process.

So my answer would be yes. Not only we would be better offensively, but we would have had a better return with Pleks. Having said all of that, it will be far from what I want for my IDEAL lineup at center. With my obsession of drafting big C's, clearly Koivu, Ribs and Pleks are not amongst my favorite players of all time. But in the meantime, since we're not a powerhouse, I would have preferred those 2 instead of having Pleks in there.
The problem with Ribs was he was to comfortable here. He was a star to the public and felt he could do no wrong. I always loved his skill but he left you wanting more, and then he proved that he could do more in Dallas.

I remember the trainers said they had a workout plan for him in the summer to bulk up and he always bailed. The fight with Koivu in practice appeared to be because he was screwing around and the playoff incident with Boston left a bad taste in my mouth. Not the types of character traits that should be associated with Beliveau, Richard, etc.

Sure Gainey could have gotten more for him, but without him we proved we were a better team. I firmly believe he would not have reached his potential with us due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Old
03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Turboflex*

Ribeiro still needed a change of scenery. Don't you guys remember the 3 amigos? . Getting shipped out removed him from that scene in Montreal that he was way too comfortable with and forced him to restart his life. He did well but it would've been a lot harder if not impossible to do in Montreal.

Also was he a good fit on the roster?? Even if we still had him people would be complaining about the two small centres we have (Ribeiro, listed at 176 lbs) and demanding Lecavlier (plus would the racists in the french media be happy with Ribeiro? He isn't exactly pur lain).

Basically he's now a PPG producer, nothing spectacular though, doesn't bring any major positive intangibles (great character, guts, physicality) and may even bring negative ones. He's basically just a marginally more effective player than Plekanecs, but payed a huge premium for the extra production he puts out.

I believe the last thing Montreal needs is more premium contracts for undersized skill guys. You need some on your roster as your consistent point producers but we already have enough if too many. Basically we can say we traded Ribeiro and that draft pick for Tanguay (assuming he's resigned, or whichever guy Gainey budgets that $5 million cap space for). I'd rather have Tanguay or some other guy who's ya know, not throwing tantrums, starting petulant fights with teammates, or embarrassing the team with disgraceful dives, fake injuries and other soccer field antics.

Last edited by montreal: 03-27-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: removed slander
Old
03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

The guy who couldn't score a goal to help Montréal beat the Canes ONCE after the captain went down comes yappin' again?

Montréal media and Ribeiro =

Old
03-27-2009, 09:20 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Well, surely one could be against the trade without putting Ribeito in the super-elite category of Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur!!!
Considering the blow-up that occured in another thread when someone DARED to compare Kovalev to Béliveau, I'm surprised that comparing Ribeiro to not just Béliveau, but Richard and Lafleur to boot doesn't create nearly as much a reaction.

Ribs is a good player and the Habs could use him, but Blanchard is completely and utterly out to lunch with this comparison.

Old
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Get your team into the top 8 before talking trash, Mike.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 03-27-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old
03-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

That was a pretty good interview. I'm glad Ribs is happy, even if he wasn't one of my favorites when he was with the Habs.

Closed Thread