Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sutter errored not getting a proven Back-up

Old
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
glovesave43

vCash: 500
Sutter errored not getting a proven Back-up

The one element that the Flames have lacked is a proven back up for Kipper, why Darryl didn't address this issue earlier on I don't know. McIlhenny is just a cheap solution, nothing against him personally. This has been, is and will probably always be a big achilles heal of this team.

glovesave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Lunatik*

Kiprusoff is playing like a backup... that is the achillies heal of this team right now

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Northern Neighbour

Since signing the big contract, Kiprusoff hasn't been the same goalie he was compared to his first 3 years with the club. He's really struggled with his consistency and positioning. Too often he's overplaying the puck, leaving him in a bad position to make the save.

I think Kiprusoff is also showing signs of fatigue. This is noticeable when he fails to keep his stick on the ice and when his glove hand is too low. Keenan will need to Kiprusoff some rest down the stretch, even if it means losing the division title. A reinvigorated, energized Kiprusoff for the playoffs is much more important than winning a division title.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Ticonderoga
For the Watch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Since signing the big contract, Kiprusoff hasn't been the same goalie he was compared to his first 3 years with the club. He's really struggled with his consistency and positioning. Too often he's overplaying the puck, leaving him in a bad position to make the save.

I think Kiprusoff is also showing signs of fatigue. This is noticeable when he fails to keep his stick on the ice and when his glove hand is too low. Keenan will need to Kiprusoff some rest down the stretch, even if it means losing the division title. A reinvigorated, energized Kiprusoff for the playoffs is much more important than winning a division title.
I think I made a thread about that a bit ago and most dismissed it as a bad idea.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

The Flames have been terrible in their own zone lately too, which doesn't exactly help Kiprusoff either.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 12:53 PM
DownInFlames

Sorry lads and lassies I can't handle all the 'sky is falling' threads. I am frustrated with the team, but honestly I am equally as frustrated at the fans. The Flames have some things to work on and work out. We know what they are capable of and we know where they should be. They will get there by the playoffs.

Enough with the fire Keenan, trade Dion, shoulda gotten a backup, debbie downer ********. We are all fans of the team. This is the team and now start supporting it.

Sorry for the rant. Pissed at the team and fans.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
The other thing to consider is cap space. Yeah back-up's are generally cheap, but I'm pretty sure after getting Jokinen and Leopold on TD day, we were something like $6700 under the cap. To get a back-up to play only a handful of games may have cost us Jokinen, or would have made Sutter have to throw more into the deal to clear space, and since Phoenix didn't want to take on salary, it would have been a huge problem.

Not getting a back-up isn't that big of a deal.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
getoverit

agree with the last couple of posters, cant have it all. Having said that, Im bewildered why they didnt send McE down to the minors and get some serious playing time, pretty tough to play what 5-6 games all year??? how bad could it be sending one of the goal tenders from the farm up I dont think the problem is Kipper, yes he could be better at times but only human, the team needs to play like a team in front of him, I mean how hard is it to clear a puck, well its hard for us but you get the point. Need active sticks, block a shot once in a while , we need the forwards back checking and need to look north south, not east west................ they need to stop talking about it and just do it, put Sutter back behind the bench or bring Iron Mike back cause its past the time of coddling, they get paid be bucks to do a job that most would kill for. We know we have it in us, we have shown that, consistency, consistency and killer instinct!!! enough of my rant

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

I'm more of the belief that they just needed to play McElhinney more often than they have.

You can't expect any G to perform with such limited starts, especially one that was used to playing the lion's share in the AHL and NCAA. But expecting an NHL newbie to fill such a limited role was poor foresight when history shows that it rarely works.

They could have at least tried to send him down to the 'A' for 3-4 games (assuming he doesn't need to pass through waivers, I can't recall) before each planned start.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Grannys

i dont think the blame goes to Kipper much at all. Maybe some of it might be the fact that he is playing most nights but the D in from of him is not doing well. We get scored on SHG too many times and generally our D is all over the place, especially Dion. I see Dion pinching in way too much and driving to the net. Its a simple system and that usually works the best. Thats what the Flames did after the November loss to the Sharks that sparked their roll. Everyone played a simple system , the D deployed the trap and the offence was taking the defence into consideration. Now it seems that eveyone is panicking on the team and everyone wants to drive to the net and score goals, Im sure everyone on the team feels the need to rack up some points. But they should go back to a simple game, lock up their own zone and let the game be driven by that, Its incredible how easily sometimes other teams enter the Flames zone.

Back to basic and quit worrying. The goals will come...

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Hyperkookeez*

as long as the flames win 2 more they've clinched a playoff spot(assuming that nashville wins every single game they have left)

2 wins in 8 games is do able even with the team playing this poorly

no need to worry too much...yet

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
scoringmachine

The Flames will be in the playoffs but the position is not set in stone yet. The Flames look like they can be in 3, 4 or 5 place. Hopefully the Flames can win the division and be in 3rd place. In order for that to happen the team needs to play better defense in their own zone not running around and do better job of chipping out the puck. Also they need to be able block shots. Sarich and Bertuzzi did a good job of blocking shots and this helped Kipper from having to make saves. We need more than just Sarich and Bertuzzi blocking shots. Finally I think the team needs to put Iggy and Oilli on different lines. It has nothing to do with them playing together it is more to do with lack of goals by the second line. Below is how I would put the first two lines.

First line

Langkow - Iggy -Cammy (Not sure if Langkow can play LW if not Put him RW)

Second line
Bourque - Oilli -Bertuzzi (with Langkow, Oilli and Cammy switching when needed)

Hopefully Bourque can return with at least 5 games remaining. Keenan if he thinks like me will test my line combination and if it does not work then he will have time to change lines to find the lines that he thinks will work well come playoff time. Basically who I put on the first two lines I believe are right now the top 6 players on this team.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
The Flames will be in the playoffs but the position is not set in stone yet. The Flames look like they can be in 3, 4 or 5 place. Hopefully the Flames can win the division and be in 3rd place. In order for that to happen the team needs to play better defense in their own zone not running around and do better job of chipping out the puck. Also they need to be able block shots. Sarich and Bertuzzi did a good job of blocking shots and this helped Kipper from having to make saves. We need more than just Sarich and Bertuzzi blocking shots. Finally I think the team needs to put Iggy and Oilli on different lines. It has nothing to do with them playing together it is more to do with lack of goals by the second line. Below is how I would put the first two lines.

First line

Second line

Hopefully Bourque can return with at least 5 games remaining. Keenan if he thinks like me will test my line combination and if it does not work then he will have time to change lines to find the lines that he thinks will work well come playoff time. Basically who I put on the first two lines I believe are right now the top 6 players on this team.
these line jugglings arent working, definitely cammy nd iggy gotta be bak together and maybe try that top line with olli centering them again... u never no its been great for the first few games they played together

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post

First line

Second line

if you honestly believe moving 2 players out of their natural positions is the answer then you need to quit talking hockey... until Bourque returns its pretty simple IMO what we should see the lines as...

Cammalleri - Jokinen - Iginla
Bertuzzi - Langkow - Lundmark
Glencross - Conroy - Moss
Nystrom - Boyd - Peter/Roy

until Bertuzzi is playing at full speed (another game or 2) and his hand catch up I can understand using Cammy on the 2nd line to help with secondary scoring... however this can only be until then... and when Bourque is back you have to work him into the lineup slowly... start him on the 4th line and 3rd PK unit... and have him work his way up... increase his PK time first then his ES time.. hopefully a week or so after Bourque's return we can see out lines how they should be...

Cammalleri - Jokinen - Iginla
Bertuzzi - Langkow - Bourque
Glencross/Lundmark - Conroy - Moss
Nystrom - Boyd - Lundmark/Glencross

more importantly maybe its time to try something different on the blueline... they aren'y going to play any worse... why not try...

Regehr/Leopold
Phaneuf/Sarich
Vandermeer/Aucoin

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Since signing the big contract, Kiprusoff hasn't been the same goalie he was compared to his first 3 years with the club. He's really struggled with his consistency and positioning.

That's what I have been saying for over a year now...even got ban a couple times because of it...

Funny is I thought he plays better at time this year....but still not nearly consistent enough....

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 03:29 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I was fairly surprised Calgary didn't grab Sanford when my Canucks put him on waivers.

He was fairly solid playing this year for the Nucks and since in Manitoba has been stellar:

Sanford NHL: 19 GP, 7-8-0, 2.59 GAA, .906 Save %, 1 Shut-Out
Sanford AHL: 11 GP, 6-2-3, 1.64 GAA, .939 Save %, 2 Shut-Outs

650k salary

VS

McElhinney NHL: 11 GP, 0-6-1, 3.73 GAA, 0.883 Save %, 0 Shut-Outs

500k salary

That one left me scratching my head.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I was fairly surprised Calgary didn't grab Sanford when my Canucks put him on waivers.

He was fairly solid playing this year for the Nucks and since in Manitoba has been stellar:

Sanford NHL: 19 GP, 7-8-0, 2.59 GAA, .906 Save %, 1 Shut-Out
Sanford AHL: 11 GP, 6-2-3, 1.64 GAA, .939 Save %, 2 Shut-Outs

650k salary

VS

McElhinney NHL: 11 GP, 0-6-1, 3.73 GAA, 0.883 Save %, 0 Shut-Outs

500k salary

That one left me scratching my head.
I agree. In fact I beleive Sanford is the only goalie that was available this season that would have made sense for the Flames. No one moved at the deadline made sense for them, but Sandord made a ton of sense and I was very dissapointed when he was not picked up on waivers and he should be looked at as a FA.

He is a guy who has proven he can play behind a busy goalie and still be effective and thats exactly what the Flames need.

And yes Kipper appears to have regressed, but i'll dispute that. last year was a definet off year for him. This year, he is playing too much. Lately alot of the goals are just goals that go in because of timing and focus. Both things IMO, stem from mental fatigue. Last year was different. Last year, he was out of position, not consistant in the sense of wether or not he wanted to be aggressive or not. This year, all that is there. The bad goals that go in are the result of timing. Take last nights game for example. The first Wild goal is a great tip no fault there. However, the second one goes through the legs. He is in the right spot, reacts well, but is just a tough late. 3rd goal, again good position, good spot, but reacts late and it sneaks through his arm.
That IMO, is mental fatigue becuase I do believe he is playing too much. Its hard for me to blame Keenan though, just because McE has just not been good behind him.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
TheHMan

Do you guys think there would be any interest in getting Alex Auld from Ottawa this off-season? We would be looking to move him and go with a Leclaire-Elliot combo, and give Elliot some more playing time at the NHL level.

Auld has 1 year left for 1 million, 200k more than most other backups, but he's played very well on the whole. He has a .910 sv% and 2.51 GAA, and his size alone could probably give the Flames a chance to win every time he plays. Ottawa wouldn't want too much in return, most likely a prospect or pick.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote