HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Sjostrom Over Korpikoski?

Old
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Why Sjostrom Over Korpikoski?

What's the deal with Torts' infatuation with Sjostrom?

In my opinion Korpikoski has all the tools that Sjostrom has, the speed, the strength, the grit, and Korpikoski is a more talented offensive player I think.

I bring this up today because after a game in which Tortorella was extremely disappointed in his entire team, he promoted Sjostrom to the second line.

Per Gross:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gross
The lines were tinkered with again as Fredrik Sjostrom keeps rising:
Sean Avery-Scott Gomez-Ryan Callahan
Fredrik Sjostrom-Chris Drury-Nik Antropov
Markus Naslund-Brandon Dubinsky-Nikolai Zherdev
Lauri Korpikoski-Blair Betts-Colton Orr
I think the team would be better fit with Korpedo with Drury and Antropov and Sjostrom back on the fourth line.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
tors10

i like sjostrom's play as of late. very strong on his skates... naslund is a disappointment. korpedo. can't say much because of his limited icetime. but sjostrom deserves it... can't be worse than naslund

tors10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 04:17 PM
TheDave1022

I think Naslund should be moved to the 4th line. I'm almost positive that he was the one who jumped on the ice when the Rangers had the 5 on 3 PP and caused the too many men penalty. He did that a few weeks ago as well. Naslund just doesnt seem to be there mentally lately, although he scores a few here and there.

Korpikoski at least is better defensively and adds more speed. He wont add the same goal scoring as Naslund, but it's worth giving him a shot.

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave1022 View Post
I think Naslund should be moved to the 4th line. I'm almost positive that he was the one who jumped on the ice when the Rangers had the 5 on 3 PP and caused the too many men penalty. He did that a few weeks ago as well. Naslund just doesnt seem to be there mentally lately, although he scores a few here and there.

Korpikoski at least is better defensively and adds more speed. He wont add the same goal scoring as Naslund, but it's worth giving him a shot.
Disagree big time. I think that was Avery without a doubt. Korps wouldn't be coming on in that spot at all. it definitely looked like Avery.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
i like sjostrom's play as of late. very strong on his skates...
I agree, he always gives 100%, I liked the Freddie-Dubi-Cali high energy line...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Cherepanisimov

Sjostrom is perfectly suited for the fourth line and penalty kill because he is extremely fast, so he can backcheck/forecheck/whatever and is very useful, but he has no skill. He has no shot, no moves (shootout excluded), and he lacks the hockey sense needed to be a scorer. Korpikoski though, unlike others have, I have not given up on him becoming a top 6 forward. He is fast, has a good shot, is always in the right position, and always tries as hard as he can. He has all the tools necessary to become a top six scorer, and by looking at him play, that will come with time.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:

It was Girardi

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I thought Naslund looked good on the 2nd line and has been good with Antropov and Drury...that's been our best line the past few games.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 06:05 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Torts has done what he can to roll 4 lines, it seems like he likes Betts and needs a reason to play that 4th line. Korpi on the 4th line gives the lineup more balance, at least on paper. Gives torts a reason to play the 4th line more than 4 minutes a game. Korpi isn't in the doghouse cause there's no way he'd be on the PK with all the capable penalty killers on this team.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 06:34 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Torts has done what he can to roll 4 lines, it seems like he likes Betts and needs a reason to play that 4th line. Korpi on the 4th line gives the lineup more balance, at least on paper. Gives torts a reason to play the 4th line more than 4 minutes a game. Korpi isn't in the doghouse cause there's no way he'd be on the PK with all the capable penalty killers on this team.
This makes the most sense, the other night Korpedo led the forwards in PK ice time.

Korps is 22, he'll work his way up the depth chart for Torts.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

When Tortorella sees Sjostrom he says

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 08:56 PM
trilobyte

I see at least an argument in comparing Korpikoski and Sjostrom. I don't see how Naslund could fit into any of this discussion. Naslund on the fourth line would be horrible, he would screw it up.

Torts said that there is no 'checking line'. Well, I see what he is getting at, but it's not like you can flip a switch and everything changes right away. For practical purposes, there still is a line that excels at checking and penalty killing duties, and it is the 4th line.

Speed, tenacity and grit, not exactly Naslund's hallmarks.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 09:21 PM
thewaitingisover

Korpi"kowski" as the Versus announcer kept calling him the other night, is great. He's quick and strong on the puck, but he's not really a scorer (yet). Sjostrom gets the same review from me (though I don't see him as strong on the puck as Korpikoski is), he's got great speed and plays with a lot of heart. Unfortunately, he's not very gifted offensively, but who knows what can happen from season to season.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 09:30 PM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:

"A few goals here and there"... He has the second most goals on this team.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 09:59 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyareGonnaGO View Post
"A few goals here and there"... He has the second most goals on this team.
Yes he does. Those goals are real.
Still, very frustrating player to watch.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not why Sjostrom over Korpikoski... the REAL question is:

Why the HELL is Callahan continuing to get first line minutes?

Why the HELL is Sjostrom now getting second line minutes over Zherdev?

Tortorella is a moron. His line combinations make Renney's look like an act of genius.

This moron continues to spite the teams best forward because he is not an erratic decapitated chicken flopping all over the ice like Callahan.

I despise Tortorella.

Seriously, what the HELL has Sjostrom done to warrant top six minutes? Zherdev continues to produce and continues to get spited for NO reason.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 10:13 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Not why Sjostrom over Korpikoski... the REAL question is:

Why the HELL is Callahan continuing to get first line minutes?

Why the HELL is Sjostrom now getting second line minutes over Zherdev?

Tortorella is a moron. His line combinations make Renney's look like an act of genius.

This moron continues to spite the teams best forward because he is not an erratic decapitated chicken flopping all over the ice like Callahan.

I despise Tortorella.

Seriously, what the HELL has Sjostrom done to warrant top six minutes? Zherdev continues to produce and continues to get spited for NO reason.
Maybe that's why he has no qualms about moving Z around. Maybe he feels as though he can produce on any line. It's not like he's playing with scrubs, he has Nas and Dubi.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Maybe that's why he has no qualms about moving Z around. Maybe he feels as though he can produce on any line. It's not like he's playing with scrubs, he has Nas and Dubi.
When you cut your best player's ice time and increase fringe third line players' ice times, including not using your best scorer in the ****ing shootout when you NEED points in the standings... there is a problem.

Tortorella cares more about his ****ed up ego then anything else. He loves himself. He loves to hear his stupid comments in the media.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:24 PM
D713B

Quote:
When you cut your best player's ice time and increase fringe third line players' ice times, including not using your best scorer in the ****ing shootout when you NEED points in the standings... there is a problem.

Tortorella cares more about his ****ed up ego then anything else. He loves himself. He loves to hear his stupid comments in the media.
Yeah I wasn't a fan of not choosing him for the shootout. I still can't figure that out. I think Torts is just trying to even out the lines. He's trying to send a message to Z I guess as well, he probably believes he can be better. He did the same stuff with Vinny. Over the past 5 games he's been at or above his season average with TOI. I can see how this is bothersome to some people but I'll start to worry when Z isn't producing under Torts, until then I can't really complain.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't a fan of not choosing him for the shootout. I still can't figure that out. I think Torts is just trying to even out the lines. He's trying to send a message to Z I guess, he probably believes he can be better. He did the same stuff with Vinny. Over the past 5 games he's been at or above his season average with TOI. I can see how this is bothersome to some people but I'll start to worry when Z isn't producing under Torts, until then I can't really complain.
Everyone keeps giving Tortorella credit for Lecavalier... it's bogus.

Lecavalier got where he is because he works harder then anyone else off the ice. And he is ridiculously talented and strong.

He also happens to be, right up there with Iginla, the CLASSIEST player in the sport. And he DESPISES Tortorella... there is a reason for that. And it is the same reason i despise Tortorella. It's because he only cares about his ego... when the classiest player in the league hates your guts, it says something about you.

And i complain about it because i care about the team's future and present. When his ego gets in the way of reason and wins, it is a problem. It got in the way last night and it won't be the last time, either.

It took me a year to warm up to Renney, and he is classy... it's gonna take me longer to warm up to a guy who has too much ego.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 03-27-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old
03-27-2009, 10:27 PM
D713B

Quote:

Lecavalier got where he is because he works harder then anyone else off the ice. And he is ridiculously talented and strong.

He also happens to be, right up there with Iginla, the CLASSIEST player in the sport. And he DESPISES Tortorella... there is a reason for that. And it is the same reason i despise Tortorella. It's because he only cares about his ego... when the classiest player in the league hates your guts, it says something about you.
Mike Keenan was/is a ***** too. He brought us a Cup. I really don't feel like getting in a debate about Torts. He's the coach right now, he's won a cup before and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for more than what, 15ish games?

As for Vinny despising him, well I don't know him personally so I can't make a statement as to that being true or false. However he does credit him for his development.

Quote:
"I'm real happy for him," said Lecavalier, who famously feuded with Tortorella, but who credits the coach with helping develop his game.
http://tampabay.com/sports/hockey/li...icle978621.ece

Last edited by D713B: 03-27-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old
03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
8-5-1 since he took over. Can't be that bad.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Mike Keenan was/is a ***** too. He brought us a Cup. I really don't feel like getting in a debate about Torts. He's the coach right now, he's won a cup before and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for more than what, 15ish games?
Did he, or did Leetch, Richter, Messier, Graves, Zubov, Kovalev, etc... bring us the Cup.

See, i believe the players would have gotten it done with or without Keenan. Messier was the leader of that team, not Keenan.

And in Tampa Bay they had a GREAT team as well.

I will not give too much credit to the coach when the roster is built to win the Cup.

When a coach pulls a rabbit out of a hat like Brooks did with that Olympic team full of amateur college players against arguably the greatest team to ever play the sport... then i give the coach full credit.

When you have a team full of future hall of famers and perennial all-stars, i can not credit the coach.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
D713B

Quote:
Did he, or did Leetch, Richter, Messier, Graves, Zubov, Kovalev, etc... bring us the Cup.

See, i believe the players would have gotten it done with or without Keenan. Messier was the leader of that team, not Keenan.

And in Tampa Bay they had a GREAT team as well.

I will not give too much credit to the coach when the roster is built to win the Cup.

When a coach pulls a rabbit out of a hat like Brooks did with that Olympic team full of amateur college players against arguably the greatest team to ever play the sport... then i give the coach full credit.

When you have a team full of future hall of famers and perennial all-stars, i can not credit the coach.
You mean the same players who were on the 92-93 team with two different coaches who missed the playoffs? Or the same players on the 94-95 team that finished with a sub .500 record in the regular season with another coach?

Last edited by D713B: 03-27-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old
03-27-2009, 10:49 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
How do you know that Vincent would have become the player we know now without Tortorella?
No coach could make a guy like Voros into a good player, one that teams want, so that is the other side of the coin.
That does not mean that coaching does not play a big part in developing players who have a wealth of talent to start with, some raw material that is worth working with.

I will never ever understand this thing with people saying what could have happened in a particular situation. All conjecture, speculation, guessing.
Maybe Lecavalier would be better than Ovechkin by now if Mike Babcock was his coach five years ago.
How would you know?

All I can go on is what has happened. Tortorella coached Lecavalier to some very good results. Won a Stanley Cup. That does not happen by fluke chance.