HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We all know Andrei Markov is our MVP this season, but who's second?

View Poll Results: Who would be second in MVP voting?
Alex Kovalev 10 6.25%
Saku Koivu 10 6.25%
Andrei Kostitsyn 1 0.63%
Tomas Plekanec 0 0%
Robert Lang 43 26.88%
Alex Tanguay 17 10.63%
Carey Price 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak 5 3.13%
Mike Komisarek 0 0%
Maxim Lapierre 67 41.88%
Josh Gorges 6 3.75%
Other 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2009, 01:21 AM
  #26
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
I chose Lang....if not for his injury he'd probably still be our point/goal leader. However, I must say that my second inclination was Lappy, so i'm not too surprised he's on there.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 01:27 AM
  #27
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,051
vCash: 500
Lappierre is kinda like the Fourth Star of the team. Our problem is that we only have one name for the first three (and that's Markov).

If you want to evaluate the Most Valuable Player - you have to consider that during injuries (or when benched - Halak) that player is not really valuable to your team.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 01:28 AM
  #28
sean84*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ontario canada lol
Country: Canada
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
max lappeir lol

sean84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 03:45 AM
  #29
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,269
vCash: 500
Maxim Magazine...

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 07:06 AM
  #30
Sir Jacques Demers
Registered User
 
Sir Jacques Demers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Why is everyone all of the sudden rooting for lapierre? I'm a big fan, but I hope you guys aren't bandwagoning because of his 2 goal game thing where he got angry

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
  #31
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
Why is everyone all of the sudden rooting for lapierre? I'm a big fan, but I hope you guys aren't bandwagoning because of his 2 goal game thing where he got angry
I don't really quite understand this. Very few have ever had anything bad to say about him. Most probably thought he didn't have the skill set to be more than a 4th line pest. Frankly I doubt management originally thought other wise as well.

I just don't see it as "all of sudden" but more Lapierre exceeding expectations and people seeing he brings more value to the team than 99% of people thought.

Also, people voting for Lapierre shows Montreal's lack of MVP type performances. Really, of the people healthy this year, Markov and Lappy are the only ones to meet or exceed expectations. It does make sense that he is getting some votes.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
  #32
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Also, people voting for Lapierre shows Montreal's lack of MVP type performances.
QFT! It's really sad come to think of it...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 11:16 AM
  #33
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Maxim Lapierre ; He's getting better and better with each game and on more than a few occassions, was the only Hab playing with any heart. He wants to win and he plays hard.

Runner up: Josh Gorges

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
  #34
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
Why is everyone all of the sudden rooting for lapierre? I'm a big fan, but I hope you guys aren't bandwagoning because of his 2 goal game thing where he got angry
Lapierre was clutch in a lot of mid-season games, was the difference in many close ones.

Also always the guy busting his ass and throwing hits on nights when the euro crew was daydreaming of warm summers in minsk.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 01:32 PM
  #35
Taylorzzz
Registered User
 
Taylorzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kingsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
gotta go with Lapierre

you know your in trouble when your 3rd line center is leading this poll
However, he has been playing alot better than a 3rd line center!!!
And don't for get MVP = Most Valuable Player, not leading scorer or leading point getter.

Taylorzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
  #36
Taylorzzz
Registered User
 
Taylorzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kingsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
Why is everyone all of the sudden rooting for lapierre? I'm a big fan, but I hope you guys aren't bandwagoning because of his 2 goal game thing where he got angry
Not at all because of the recent play. Do you watch many games?
Do me a favor and watch him for an entire game. You will then see why so many love the guy on these boards. He just doesn't quit! I know I will get blasted for this but Lapierre, Dandenault (yes Dandenault) and Kostopoulos are guys that give everything they have every night. It's not something that can be taught, you either give it all every night or you don't.... too many on this team just don't.

Taylorzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
  #37
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,269
vCash: 500
honestly not bandwagoning. I've been a huge fan of his since he came back up early in the season and was a transformed player. We think (maybe not anymore) of his as a 4th line pest, when really:
- one of the fastest on the team
- GREAT down low, just like crosby (perhaps for the reason that he shadowed him in junior)
- hits well (say what you want about Kosto, I don't remember the time he even nailed anybody)
- Good passer
- Good vision
- Can maintain the cycle, gets the puck back, whereas others just cough it up
- Second effort...no make that seventh effort
- Has puck handling and shooting skills (remember the toe drag goal he scored not so long ago, when eventually the net went off)
- Always backchecks
- Just as reliable as the others in Faceoffs (whatever that's worth)

He really is a new player this year and he loves his job, this team and seems to be a real leader. Not just now. When we were doing well, when we sucked and yes most recently. French Canadian star? There you go! (he will keep getting better)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 02:13 PM
  #38
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Maxim Lapierre ; He's getting better and better with each game and on more than a few occassions, was the only Hab playing with any heart. He wants to win and he plays hard.

Runner up: Josh Gorges
I'll give you this, gorges has heart and he is a lot better than when he got him but I have been cursing him many a night for being really ineffective or making really stupid plays. Not that he doesn't try, hell he puts it all out there and he is a leader but I don't think he's even our third most valuable player. Maybe if we're talking about heart and overachieving but not results but it's very very close and I see your point, I just think of too many goals going in and Gorges face saying (dammit I should have had that, sort of like Prce). I think Halak is ahead of him for sure. We would be well out of the playoffs if it weren't that shutdown streak. Pleky is my favourite player, so perhaps this is biased but I really think he's such an important player (great vision, passing, speed) and at some point recently, he's started racking them up. Anyway I guess I'm just listing down the roster. Let's hope they make it hard for us to decide not for the current reason, but because now they will all be playing to their "Max" potential. Tanguay perhaps by the end.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 02:33 PM
  #39
Adam91
Registered User
 
Adam91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
Lapierre, only Hab who has actually exceeded expectations.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
  #40
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I don't really quite understand this. Very few have ever had anything bad to say about him. Most probably thought he didn't have the skill set to be more than a 4th line pest. Frankly I doubt management originally thought other wise as well.

I just don't see it as "all of sudden" but more Lapierre exceeding expectations and people seeing he brings more value to the team than 99% of people thought.

Also, people voting for Lapierre shows Montreal's lack of MVP type performances. Really, of the people healthy this year, Markov and Lappy are the only ones to meet or exceed expectations. It does make sense that he is getting some votes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
QFT! It's really sad come to think of it...
Disagree, Lapierre (and Kostopoulos) were the only reason why I watched a couple of Habs game. They were the only players on the ice giving a damn.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 02:58 PM
  #41
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
If Lang wasn't injured, I would choose him. But since he is, I choose Lapierre.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 03:03 PM
  #42
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Disagree, Lapierre (and Kostopoulos) were the only reason why I watched a couple of Habs game. They were the only players on the ice giving a damn.
My QFT was relating to the last sentence mostly:
"Also, people voting for Lapierre shows Montreal's lack of MVP type performances. Really, of the people healthy this year, Markov and Lappy are the only ones to meet or exceed expectations. It does make sense that he is getting some votes."

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:02 PM
  #43
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,738
vCash: 500
Most consistent player all year and would be a close 1st pick if not for the injury. Laps
has come leaps and bounds but not an MVP.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
  #44
bentheprop
Registered User
 
bentheprop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
I would vote for Laps for most improved but not MVP.

I went with Gorges narrowly over Tanguay. While it's interesting that the teams worst stretch coincided with Tanguay being out, I went with Josh because he has been able to maintain a +13 while playing through that ugly stretch. In fact he's only missed 1 game all year and has, by far, been our most consistent player defensively.

bentheprop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
  #45
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,930
vCash: 500
before getting hurt, I really believe robert lang was our runner up mvp.

Its amazing that he STILL leads this team in power play goals.

Lang played in all important situations of the game be it 5 on 5, pk, or pp. He wasnt nearly as one dimensional as first advertised.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:39 PM
  #46
mario66lemieux*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
honestly not bandwagoning. I've been a huge fan of his since he came back up early in the season and was a transformed player. We think (maybe not anymore) of his as a 4th line pest, when really:
- one of the fastest on the team
- GREAT down low, just like crosby (perhaps for the reason that he shadowed him in junior)
- hits well (say what you want about Kosto, I don't remember the time he even nailed anybody)
- Good passer
- Good vision

- Can maintain the cycle, gets the puck back, whereas others just cough it up
- Second effort...no make that seventh effort
- Has puck handling and shooting skills (remember the toe drag goal he scored not so long ago, when eventually the net went off)
- Always backchecks
- Just as reliable as the others in Faceoffs (whatever that's worth)

He really is a new player this year and he loves his job, this team and seems to be a real leader. Not just now. When we were doing well, when we sucked and yes most recently. French Canadian star? There you go! (he will keep getting better)
No..

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
  #47
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,316
vCash: 500
Would be Alex Tanguay, but because of injuries... Lapierre.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
  #48
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,856
vCash: 500
Tanguay

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:09 PM
  #49
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Had Tanguay and Lang been healthy, they'd be obvious candidates.

Now, *puts on flame proof vest*, if you look at this within the vacuum of this season and their specific contributions to the team, and not compared to expectations...

Alexei Kovalev.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:12 PM
  #50
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 500
Langer. The guy played amazing for us.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.