HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fun Flyers Facts and Stories

Old
03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
Fun Flyers Facts and Stories

Post good stories or interesting facts you know about the Flyers.

When Bernie Parent was signed to the Philadelphia Blazers of the WHA his contract was 250,000 and included a new boat and car for every year of the 5 year deal.

Mr. Snider owned a record company in D.C. before starting the Flyers

In the second Stanley Cup Parade for the Flyers in '75 Bernie Parent had to get out of the car and knock on someone's door to use the bathroom.

correct me if any of this is wrong

Edit: I was wrong the Blazers lasted one season in Philadelphia it was Bernie Parent who didn't last the whole season with the Blazers- I'm not sure whether he broke his ankle or stopped getting paid or both

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 03-30-2009 at 06:04 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
chaosof99*

The book about the Flyers from the "The Good, the bad & the ugly" series has a lot of these.

Two I remember off the top of my head:
- The First ever Flyers penalty was taken less than two minutes into the first game
- Pelle Lindbergh was the first goalie to keep a water bottle on top of the net.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2573
There are many I try to incorporate into the GDTs but one that may never be equalled is that the Flyers and Kings played in five different venues in their first seasons. Philly and Quebec (because of the Spectrum's roof damage) for home games and three in California (Forum wasn't opened until midseason so the Kings had home games in the Sports Arena and in Long Beach).

A giant among racehorses, Unbridled became an even more towering figure at stud, siring a winner of each Triple Crown race, as well as champions, Grade 1 winners, and major producers at stud.

Paulick Report, May 19, 2015
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:48 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
The book about the Flyers from the "The Good, the bad & the ugly" series has a lot of these.

- The First ever Flyers penalty was taken less than two minutes into the first game
- Pelle Lindbergh was the first goalie to keep a water bottle on top of the net.
I guess somethings never change.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 02:31 PM
XS Chop

Wish I still had it but if you can find "Score" by Gene Hart it's full of amazing old time stories. Just seeing this thread made me remember it, think its been out of print for years but found one used on Amazon and ordered it.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:30 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post

Yeah That's where I got two of mine from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Wish I still had it but if you can find "Score" by Gene Hart it's full of amazing old time stories. Just seeing this thread made me remember it, think its been out of print for years but found one used on Amazon and ordered it.
I ordered that book online but it still hasn't come over a month later , I might order another one.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 04:49 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
That book is great. So is The good, the bad, and the ugly and Full Spectrum. Full of fun facts.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote