HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the Habs game on CBC?

Old
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Wow, I had no idea.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hock...anada/punjabi/

Apparently Punjabi is the 4th most spoken language in Canada.

Which begs the question, where's HNIC Mandarin/Cantonese?
Whether it is widely spoken or not, hockey in Punjabi? I'm 100% sure that all of the people who will be watching this who are actually Punjabi speak very very very good English and would rather watch it in English (or French). Also, just so everyone knows, Punjabi is not the national language of India or anything (cough...CPrice31). It's one of many (think Sikh). Why Punjabi over Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, etc? I'm of Indian descent, before I get flamed for being racist, just clarifying and stating that I cannot dream of anyone wanting to watch the Habs game in Punjabi!!! Maybe if I was stoned and it was another team that I didn't care about...for fun. That would actually be amazing.

LOL at your last comment and boo at CBC (clearly the Leafs-Bruins game is a critical playoff race game...for 1st in the East). RDS SD it is i guess. The game in SD after a game in HD is always a kick in the nuts. Then again, I guess everyone back home gets it on CBC, just us marooned in Ontario get screwed. Rogerrrrrrrs!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:59 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas84 View Post
dont watch the games online i take it?

Ive seen hindi/urdu, mandarin and cantonese...the punjabi one cracks me up...chak de pathey jaraome iginla

Old
03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

CBC M
CBC W (Winnipeg I'm guessing)
CBCaa whatever that is
CBC V (Victoria)

These CBCs have the the habs-Sabres game. The rest are leafs, bruins.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Whether it is widely spoken or not, hockey in Punjabi? I'm 100% sure that all of the people who will be watching this who are actually Punjabi speak very very very good English and would rather watch it in English (or French). Also, just so everyone knows, Punjabi is not the national language of India or anything (cough...CPrice31). It's one of many (think Sikh). Why Punjabi over Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, etc? I'm of Indian descent, before I get flamed for being racist, just clarifying and stating that I cannot dream of anyone wanting to watch the Habs game in Punjabi!!! Maybe if I was stoned and it was another team that I didn't care about...for fun. That would actually be amazing.

LOL at your last comment and boo at CBC (clearly the Leafs-Bruins game is a critical playoff race game...for 1st in the East). RDS SD it is i guess. The game in SD after a game in HD is always a kick in the nuts. Then again, I guess everyone back home gets it on CBC, just us marooned in Ontario get screwed. Rogerrrrrrrs!
Again, because it's the 4th most spoken language in Canada and a majority of Canadians of Indian descent are Punjabi/Sikh.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Again, because it's the 4th most spoken language in Canada and a majority of Canadians of Indian descent are Punjabi/Sikh.
I'd add to that...

Because they had someone qualified to do it?

There was a whole story on this commentator earlier this year. It's kind of his passion project.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
If only they could broadcast some games in French!
Or some games in English, even. Habs games, I mean. We're on a playoff run - this game is critical for both teams. Great drama...

Instead we get Toronto (eliminated) and Boston (clinched).

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 07:04 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
This is silly. If you're Ontario... deal. They're the local team.

If you're in the Maritimes, like I am, then it sucks, but it makes sense to show a team like Boston that is both good, original six and has a lot of fans out East.
It has been like this since i can remember don't matter who Toronto plays. Even when there was Newfoundlanders on the habs we still get the stupid leafs game. The leafs could be playing a team that is eliminated from the playoffs and we would still get that game. **** CBC

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Maliki2

No clue whats going on my channel guide says CBC is showing Habs game, but Beefalo on Centre Ice is showing the feed?!?

UPDATE* CBC now has the Habs game wtf lol

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Is the Internet stream of the Habs games herky jerky for everyone else?

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCnutcase View Post
TSN would be disaster for hockey fans. It would be the same incompetance as the CBC. Too many Leaf games with Joe Bowen and Leaf highlights leading on SportsCentre. No thanks!
Toronto already dominates the early time slot.

Montreal on TSN would give viewers coast to coast an alternative.

Maybe just maybe, West Coast teams when playing out East would get the early time slot or at least split across Canada with the Toronto game.

More Canadians get to watch Canadian teams. Win win to me.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
HABitual

is the CBC punishing anglophone Canadiens fans?

I do not think it is possible for anyone else to hate listening to Bob Cole and Greg Millen more than I do.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:10 PM
le_sean

vCash: 50
Bob Cole is ****ing awesome. Millen sucks.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Habsfan18

how about Yvon?

I don't think he's said 1 relevant thing since joining them..

He always comes in with these little random comments. Here's a little sample.

Bob: And........the Habs .............hit .................the post!! What.............a........chance....!

Greg: He almost had it Bob. A little bit more to the left and it would have been in.

Yvon: Yes, he hit the post..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:55 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Trust me, it's pretty equal across the board. Their census is very wrong, given most Punjabis can speak Hindi and not the other way around. Anyway, my point was that no one would want to watch it in ANY of the Indian languages (obviously IMO). I'd like to know what the viewership on that channel was. Meh, whatevs, I got to listen in French (as if I had a choice) and was privy to another Brunet "quote". Did he ever finish that sentence? he was looking for the word in french but then said that in english it was called ...mmm...and then he didn't really say anything. Personally I like Benny. Don't know why there's so much hate on him. Feel free to enlighten me.

Old
03-28-2009, 10:57 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
I do not think it is possible for anyone else to hate listening to Bob Cole and Greg Millen more than I do.
me, although it's better than Cole and Neale. god was that torture. I like Jim Hughson. Perhaps it's all the EA NHL that I play.

Old
03-29-2009, 01:54 AM
HABitual

Quote:
me, although it's better than Cole and Neale. god was that torture. I like Jim Hughson. Perhaps it's all the EA NHL that I play.
Yeah Neale was annoying, too.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
how about Yvon?

I don't think he's said 1 relevant thing since joining them..
I know, it's annoying me even more than Brunet's "Guillaume!" "Maxime et Patrice!" comments.

Also their image quality sucks compared to RDS and Cassy Campbell calls us the Montreal Sabres.

Also their color guy, I think it's Anderson or something, is a total Leafs nut hugger.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:09 PM
happyhab*

Quote:
Trust me, it's pretty equal across the board. Their census is very wrong, given most Punjabis can speak Hindi and not the other way around. Anyway, my point was that no one would want to watch it in ANY of the Indian languages (obviously IMO). I'd like to know what the viewership on that channel was. Meh, whatevs, I got to listen in French (as if I had a choice) and was privy to another Brunet "quote". Did he ever finish that sentence? he was looking for the word in french but then said that in english it was called ...mmm...and then he didn't really say anything. Personally I like Benny.aton't know why there's so much hate on him. Feel free to enlighten me.
Why?? Based on what???

CBC a huge station obviously feels it's more important to attract Punjabi viewers because theirs more of them.

If that was the case the commentators would be speaking Hindi, plus yeah your right
Punjabi is not the official language of India, but alot of Sikhs regard Canada as their home country over India

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote