HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Château Bow Wow ala Torts

Old
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Château Bow Wow ala Torts

What do you guys think of these benchings?

All in all I'm liking the edge Tortorella brings to his team. But committing to 4 d men in what I at least deem a big game...

Benching the most creative Offensive guy when we need goals...

03-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Who was benched today other than Sauer? I know Naslund didn't get much ice time, as neither did Mara, but no one was really benched but a 21 year old kid who has played 2 games in the NHL.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:13 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Not just today....Niko last week. Naslund getting Blair Betts minutes?

I get it, but Im scratching my head today.

I knew some of this would happen. He likes to dress guys and make em sit....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Not just today....Niko last week. Naslund getting Blair Betts minutes?

I get it, but Im scratching my head today.

I knew some of this would happen. He likes to dress guys and make em sit....
Ah...Well Naslund deserves it he plays like ****, and Nik has been great since IMO. Oh, and the defense is all Schoenfeld, not Torts.

Old
03-28-2009, 04:16 PM
John Torturella

I dont like going with 4 defensemen. If Sauer is incapable, send him down. But I dont think that was the reason we lost. Maybe they could have helped, but I dont think they would have stopped Crosby from blowing by Morris and Redden like they were stuck in the mud.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
D713B

Has there been any news on why Mara was benched and if it was related to the eye injury?

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Has there been any news on why Mara was benched and if it was related to the eye injury?
Probably for being completely out of position on the first goal against.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:02 PM
frankthefrowner

Joe was speculating that Mara was having eye sight issues. His defence partner was Sauer so rather than splitting up defence pairings it looks like he just went with 4 D... I dont agree with it, but tis what happend.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

What happened to all of the "Thank God Torts holds his players accountable," posts?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What happened to the all of the "Thank God Torts holds his players accountable," posts?
I dont think Sauer was benched in the Accountability sense. He was benched in the its not really a good idea to match a rookie dman in his 3rd NHL game up against guys like Malkin and Crosby sense.

Naslund and Zherdev deserved their benchings... Naslund has been playing lack luster hockey for awhile. Z's turnovers can be mind boggling and they havent hurt us because we have Henrik.

I really wanna see this team Post trainging camp under him, i think you'll see a diffrent world. Right now its still mish mosh of stuff that went on under renney.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The only players that are being held accountable are the ones that aren't making tons of money. Double standard much?

I don't see Redden being held accountable. He made a good play on one of the goals today, but he was awful otherwise.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The only players that are being held accountable are the ones that aren't making tons of money. Double standard much?

I don't see Redden being held accountable. He made a good play on one of the goals today, but he was awful otherwise.
yeah but then we woulda been down to 3 D.....

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

I fail to see how Redden was remotely awful today.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

For the most part, the high paid players have done quite well since Torts took over. I don't see why they would need to be benched.

Zherdev needs to be better with the puck. Torts benches him for the same reasons Renney benched him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
What do you guys think of these benchings?

All in all I'm liking the edge Tortorella brings to his team. But committing to 4 d men in what I at least deem a big game...

Benching the most creative Offensive guy when we need goals...
Agree.

Like i have been saying, his ego gets in the way.

And his line combos are terrible. Top six guys in the bottom two lines and fringe 3rd and 4th line guys getting top minutes...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Yup.

Old
03-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
For the most part, the high paid players have done quite well since Torts took over. I don't see why they would need to be benched.

Zherdev needs to be better with the puck. Torts benches him for the same reasons Renney benched him.
I consider Nazy one of the top players in this equation and hes obviously being sent a message. Am I wrong?

Old
03-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I consider Nazy one of the top players in this equation and hes obviously being sent a message. Am I wrong?
You are correct. He is NOT performing at all, I am absolutely disgusted at how he has played in the last 20 games. Bring back Anisimov, and make a line of Dubi-AA-Cally, hell, at least they would try to win.

Old
03-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

lol

OK so who is going to start the "Fire Torts!" thread?!!

lmao

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
lol

lmao
Larry Brooks obviously

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
lol

lmao

Dont get me wrong I think Torts is doing a good job. Honestly its all gravy with the the change that late in the season.

But NOT starting Henke in Atlanta was questionable. I get the benching of Niko, but I really question going with 4 D vs the Pens.

And if Naslund is going to play 8 minutes Id rather see some hungry kid get the icetime.

Look they had a shot to win today...In fact they have looked way more competitive in every game since Torts took over. Even when they look like **** they have at least scored enough goals to be in it...

Old
03-28-2009, 08:43 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I fail to see how Redden was remotely awful today.
Well, obviously our opinion on what qualifies as quality play from a defenseman is different. For example, I don't think there has been a single game this season where Redden was "a force."

I guess you missed him getting beaten more times than I can remember. I can acknowledge when he plays well, you don't seem to be willing to acknowledge when he doesn't, however. He made a great pinch on one of our goals today, but the rest of the game, he was dreadful. And in the offensive zone, he continues to be completely useless.

Quote:

Drury has played his best hockey of the season since Torts has come on board, but that still results in limited scoring.

I see no change in Gomez. He's still useless on the PP, he still turns the puck over a lot. Avery and Callahan/Zherdev are making the plays happen on that line, not Gomez. Gomez had 7 shots today. He's up to 18th in the league in SOG with a team-leading 247 shots, with a 6.5 shooting percentage. Only Phaneuf has a lower shooting percentage of the top 65 shots on goal leaders. And only 3 players in that top 65 have less goals, 2 being defensemen.

I'm not trying to bash Tortorella. Overall, I like Tortorella. I've said it before: Renney got a raw deal. Very raw deal. But if he was going to go, Torts was the guy I would have hired, too.

But if he's going to bench Zherdev, he should be benching other players who deserve to be benched, too.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
ruckus*

For a guy who preaches team concept, Torts sure does like to make it all about him.

As mentioned, his line combinations are retarded.

He seems to have the same Sjostrom man crush that half the fools on this board do.

"Ohh Freddy skates so fast and tries so hard he deserves to play with more offensive players!"

No. Fred Sjostrom is a fourth liner, fringe third at best. He's never going to produce offensively.

Zherdev deserves double the ice time of Sjostrom.

Going with 4 defenseman today is one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while.

Holding players accountable? Fine. Hurting your team in the process? Unacceptable.

What has this team's problem been since Torts took over?

THIRD FREAKING PERIORDS.

The up-tempo style has drained our energy when it comes to the last 20 minutes.

So what does Torts do? Oh let's go with 4 defensemen. That should help us come late in the game.

Granted, the officiating was embarrassing and it's games like today that makes this new NHL virtually unwatchable for me. It really is so annoying and amatuer like. But this team was DEAD in the third period AGAIN.

I hope all of you who were dying to be "entertained" are enjoying yourselves now.

Boy, it's great losing games 5-4 and 4-3 instead of 2-1. Don't you just love it?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The problem i have with Tortorella's methods are that they hurt the team.

Two games in a row now Tortorella let his personal gripes and his ego get in the way of a win.

-Not putting Zherdev in the shootout.

-Benching not one, but TWO defensmen today

-Playing 3rd and 4th line players on the top two lines and holding back several top 6 forwards on the 3rd line, when we need GOALS.

Old
03-28-2009, 10:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
For a guy who preaches team concept, Torts sure does like to make it all about him.

As mentioned, his line combinations are retarded.

He seems to have the same Sjostrom man crush that half the fools on this board do.

"Ohh Freddy skates so fast and tries so hard he deserves to play with more offensive players!"

No. Fred Sjostrom is a fourth liner, fringe third at best. He's never going to produce offensively.

Zherdev deserves double the ice time of Sjostrom.

Going with 4 defenseman today is one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while.

Holding players accountable? Fine. Hurting your team in the process? Unacceptable.

What has this team's problem been since Torts took over?

THIRD FREAKING PERIORDS.

The up-tempo style has drained our energy when it comes to the last 20 minutes.

So what does Torts do? Oh let's go with 4 defensemen. That should help us come late in the game.

Granted, the officiating was embarrassing and it's games like today that makes this new NHL virtually unwatchable for me. It really is so annoying and amatuer like. But this team was DEAD in the third period AGAIN.

I hope all of you who were dying to be "entertained" are enjoying yourselves now.

Boy, it's great losing games 5-4 and 4-3 instead of 2-1. Don't you just love it?
At least I'm not the only one who sees reason.

Everyone has their Tort's "Hope" blinders on.

The guy gets in his own way. He can't get passed him self for a moment, and the team suffers for it.

This is the tightest playoff race this team has been in in over a decade, and this guy let's his personal gripes prevent wins. You DO NOT bench two defensemen. You DO NOT hold back two of your best goal scorers (Zherdev and Naslund) in favor of two, probably three, bottom six players: Avery, Callahan, Sjostrom. Want Cally up there, fine, but holy GOD when your team in down you DO NOT continue to spite your best forwards.. this is getting down right obnoxious.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 03-28-2009 at 10:17 PM.