HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anyone want Mess back next year?

View Poll Results: Do you want Messier back next year?
Yes (He is great with younger players. He can still play in a limited role.) 24 27.59%
No (He's too old. He hurts the Rangers.) 63 72.41%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2004, 08:07 PM
PotiFan03

vCash: 500
Does anyone want Mess back next year?

Ok, I know this subject has been beaten to death over the last four years, but do any of you Ranger fans want Messier back next season?

Old
03-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Hankenstein

No. N - O,

No!

Old
03-13-2004, 08:10 PM
in the hall

i hope not but there are always the bowmans out there that feel it would some how benefit us yet they feel this way assuming messier at 45 will be playing minimum ice time..

Old
03-13-2004, 11:25 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
Despite his age, Messier is still producing. He isn't anything what he used to be, and I am not saying his good play this year makes up for the lack of the last 3-4 years, but Messier is second in Ranger points this season. I wouldn't mind him back, and wouldn't mind him going on account of retirement, and that only. I think Messier should retire a Ranger, and if he's up for one more year, and can stay healthy, what's the big deal?

It's not like he is hurting a team that will most likely be in the cellar next season regardless. And I'm sure he can teach the kids some things.

Old
03-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Pearl Necklace

No CBA means...

...no hockey next year.

Old
03-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Jayce

He's been good this year, but we have enough veterans left to teach the kids, and he might still take away 17 minutes away from the kids every game. Thanks for everything Mark, bye!

Old
03-14-2004, 07:52 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

And be kind enough to take Sather with you.

Old
03-14-2004, 08:38 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor

And be kind enough to take Sather with you.
yes please take sather messier u are taking up space retire already

Old
03-14-2004, 03:50 PM
filthy#20

having mess stay for another year wontmove the club in the direction we need to go. besides this is holik's team and time, time to give him the c

Old
03-14-2004, 04:12 PM
rangergiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotiFan03
Ok, I know this subject has been beaten to death over the last four years, but do any of you Ranger fans want Messier back next season?

It is always astonishing to me how ungrateful that ranger fans are to Mess. Did you all forget 1994? He is not the same player anymore. Not even close. However last time I checked he was one of the few players on this team that actually delivered effort on a daily basis to this team. He is not the reason this team exploded. He is the face of our franchise, the last link. You are nuts if you think that his influence will not be positive to the team going forward. The mere fact that he would even be willing to do that shows his dedication to the franchise and its fans that he did not want to go elsewhere. He felt a reasponsibility to go down with the ship. This alone should have showed everyone what he was made of. Instead he was criticized for being selfish. Being selfish would be to join the Playoffs as a rental. Leetch felt the same way and everyone applauded his attitude and killed Sather for trading him without some input. Mess does the same thing and he is useless. I renew my season tickets as long as he is here. He epitomizes what this franchise once was and should be. Wasn't his 3 years in Vancouver painful enough? Do you really want to see him sign with another team and jeapordize a future role with the NYR, even if it is just as a goodwill ambassador? We will need vets to bring these kids along and there is NOBODY better than Mess. Show some respect.

Old
03-14-2004, 04:16 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Dear Mr. Messier,

With all due respect, please retire.

IS THAT BETTER?

Old
03-14-2004, 04:18 PM
rangergiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Dear Mr. Messier,

With all due respect, please retire.

IS THAT BETTER?

YOu really don't think he can be a positive influence on the youngsters?

If the NYR force him out I drop my season tickets. Forever.

Old
03-14-2004, 04:29 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebadguy
It is always astonishing to me how ungrateful that ranger fans are to Mess. Did you all forget 1994? He is not the same player anymore. Not even close. However last time I checked he was one of the few players on this team that actually delivered effort on a daily basis to this team. He is not the reason this team exploded. He is the face of our franchise, the last link. You are nuts if you think that his influence will not be positive to the team going forward. The mere fact that he would even be willing to do that shows his dedication to the franchise and its fans that he did not want to go elsewhere. He felt a reasponsibility to go down with the ship. This alone should have showed everyone what he was made of. Instead he was criticized for being selfish. Being selfish would be to join the Playoffs as a rental. Leetch felt the same way and everyone applauded his attitude and killed Sather for trading him without some input. Mess does the same thing and he is useless. I renew my season tickets as long as he is here. He epitomizes what this franchise once was and should be. Wasn't his 3 years in Vancouver painful enough? Do you really want to see him sign with another team and jeapordize a future role with the NYR, even if it is just as a goodwill ambassador? We will need vets to bring these kids along and there is NOBODY better than Mess. Show some respect.
Are you serious?

He threatened to hold out after the cup for money. He left in 97 for money and believe what you want but he came back here FOR MONEY.

Is he the face of the Rangers? Unfortunately yes he is, a face printed on a $100.00 bill.

his existence on the Rangers for the last 3 years has been the sole reason Sather has not started this rebuilding process sooner. Wanting to give it that one last college try while Messier was still around when in reality his 2nd stint with the Rangers is something that should never have happened.

As for his 3 years in Vancouver, I'm happy they ended the way they did, with Me$$ missing trhe PO's 3 straight years.

I'm sitting here thinking some horrible thoughts about this man so I'm going to stop writing before I say something bad about the guy.

Old
03-14-2004, 04:32 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

No, I honestly don't think he can be a positive influence on the youngsters anymore.

He had a very positive effect on Graves, Leetch, Kovalev (I think he really helped Alex first go-around), and supposedly Naslund in Vancouver, but his game just isn't what it used to be. Don't you think a guy who's gonna lead the team should be at practices?

I don't doubt that there's enough left for Messier to play a role and help an established team, but we need a new direction and new leaders.

Old
03-14-2004, 04:42 PM
filthy#20

Quote:

i hold mess in high regard but for him to continue playing is wrong. he hasnt made us a playoff team since he came back and he has shown in the past his ability to hold out over money

he is taking minutes away from these younger guys. stay as an assistant coach or in another capacity but not as a player.

Old
03-14-2004, 04:47 PM
rangergiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy#20
i hold mess in high regard but for him to continue playing is wrong. he hasnt made us a playoff team since he came back and he has shown in the past his ability to hold out over money

he is taking minutes away from these younger guys. stay as an assistant coach or in another capacity but not as a player.

I dont disagree with what you are saying but I think he has earned the right to make the decision and have our support. I would love to watch him play another year. It will be a tough nut to pay that bill when it comes to watch these guys but for that odd game when Mess comes down the wing and puts one of those patented wrist shots past the goalie at least that night's game seems worth the money.

I blame managment for the post cup holdout, assurances were made to him if they won and then not delivered on. Let's not forget that he was there when it counted. I don't know who to blame for the 1997 disaster. My lowest moment as a sports fan.

Old
03-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Fletch

It's time to move on...

no doubt in my mind, though, that he may be the best option this team has for fourth line center (and maybe even secondd) there are kids waiting who should now start getting a chance.

Old
03-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
no doubt in my mind, though, that he may be the best option this team has for fourth line center (and maybe even secondd) there are kids waiting who should now start getting a chance.
its time for mess to hang them up, if he really wants to help this team, he will retire letting a kid get more icetime and letting this team develop and finding a new leader be it holik, jagr or someone else

Old
03-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Quote:
It is always astonishing to me how ungrateful that ranger fans are to Mess. Did you all forget 1994?
How could we? Mark won't let us. He held the Rangers up for more $$$ when he left AND he did it again this summer before coming back. Then to have to listen to him WHINE about Leetch being traded and he only came back to win a Stanley Cup... He makes me ill....

With all due respect, Mr. Messier retire. Please.

Old
03-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
id like to see mess as head coach. what do yall think? :p

Old
03-14-2004, 09:34 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
id like to see mess as head coach. what do yall think? :p
I dont know if you were being sarcastic about that or not. If you were in fact serious, then my answer to that is a big NO. IMO, Messier is just an extension of Sather. More than half of his career has been spent with Sather at the helm. And now that Sather has finally revealed himself as the inept, no-systems, anti-accountability, non-inspirational Hall of Shame phony that he is, I dont want any part of that, including Messier, coaching my team. I want somebody who's in touch with today's game, somebody who'll instill a real system and a commitment to defense, somebody who knows how to get the most out of his players.

Old
03-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
I dont know if you were being sarcastic about that or not. If you were in fact serious, then my answer to that is a big NO. IMO, Messier is just an extension of Sather. More than half of his career has been spent with Sather at the helm. And now that Sather has finally revealed himself as the inept, no-systems, anti-accountability, non-inspirational Hall of Shame phony that he is, I dont want any part of that, including Messier, coaching my team. I want somebody who's in touch with today's game, somebody who'll instill a real system and a commitment to defense, somebody who knows how to get the most out of his players.
yes, that was sarcastic. i know the prevailing attitude towards messier here is that he needs to go, so i was just playing off that

Old
03-14-2004, 10:08 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Wow. What a way to treat a guy who lead your team to their first Stanley Cup in years.

What "kids" should be playing ahead of Messier? Jamie Lundmark? Sure. But what about Garth Murray or Chad Wiseman? Of course not.

The Rangers don't have any prospects on their entire team that would benefit from getting 3rd-line minutes in the NHL more than top-line minutes in the AHL. They either have zero potential or just aren't going to crack the NHL within the next year.

Don't blame Mess for stunting the growth of your prospects, blame your scouts and GM for drafting crappy players.

Old
03-14-2004, 11:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
Wow. What a way to treat a guy who lead your team to their first Stanley Cup in years.

What "kids" should be playing ahead of Messier? Jamie Lundmark? Sure. But what about Garth Murray or Chad Wiseman? Of course not.

The Rangers don't have any prospects on their entire team that would benefit from getting 3rd-line minutes in the NHL more than top-line minutes in the AHL. They either have zero potential or just aren't going to crack the NHL within the next year.

Don't blame Mess for stunting the growth of your prospects, blame your scouts and GM for drafting crappy players.

Explain to me how it is that the scouts who draft "crappy" players are responsible for Messier playing more minutes than Lindros in some games. Explain to me how it is the scouts who make sure that Messier plays on both the PP and PK.

03-14-2004, 11:20 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan

save it.. i never understood why people with no clue to the situation would open their mouths....

i dont need a tampa bay lightning fan lecture me on respect of a player that has lead my franchise to glory... before you can even suggest anything you would have to experience it till then please dont tell me how to treat my players

now to what you dont know.. you are damn freaking right we want murray, wiseman, hell i'd rather see betts play ahead of mark.. you know why??? BECAUSE THESE KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE.... MESSIER IS THE PAST....

and for your information our scouts have done a pretty decent job at building a core... unfortunately because of old players like messier constantly coming back it is pretty damn hard to have kids play on this team when you have a team that is expecting to contend.... end result they are either dealt and flourish elsewhere or are held back stunting their development

whats ironic about your knock on our scouts is wiseman was an 8th round pick and murray was a third round pick.. both have certainly done more then people ever expected so how could this be a knock to our crappy drafting?? yea thats right

Closed Thread