HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger opposition that has the biggest effect on you - your top 5 and why

Old
03-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Unpredictable1

vCash: 500
Ranger opposition that has the biggest effect on you - your top 5 and why

Today was a prime example of a team that, you know, I really was better off leaving the house because it takes me hours to recover from the anger that brews.

On the flip side, a win against that same team will have you elated for a couple of days at least - borderline making careless expenditures for a few hours immediately after the win....

Here's mine, and why. Number 1 and 2 are pretty much a tie, but NO TIES ALLOWED.

1. Penguins - I have a hate for Crosby that's unparalleled. I won't get into the details that get discussed every day. Their biased announcers, and the man love for Pitts all around the league.

2. Sabres - Their announcer (Jeanerette sp?), Lindy Ruff, Kaleta and I suppose because a good bud of mine whose a big fan. Rubbed it in my face when they knocked the Rangers out a couple of years. So happy to see them on the fail boat.

3. Devils - Chico homer, Colin White, Marty (with all due respect), Rupp. Comes with the rivalry. Also for the boring trap they founded that made some of the most boring hockey for years to come.

4. Canadians - I was surrounded by too many biased beyond biased fans growing up. Maxim Lapierre acting tough. Komisarek getting away with murder on D. Their ole ole ole - good God.

5. Predators - Found it hard to think of a 5th really but because of Tootoo. I hate him that much.

So what yours? There's games we win or lose that I'm kinda 'meh on, but those listed above can have a severe influence on me for the rest of the day(s) with the exception of #5 which really comes down to one player and I was grasping at straws to come up with a 5th!!

Last edited by Unpredictable1: 03-29-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: edit: i had the wrong frog in there....
Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:22 AM
ruckus*

I hate the devils because their organization makes ours look minor league, and they're our biggest rivals (despite what old timers say about the Isles, times have changed)

that's really it.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I'd say I completely agree with that list. All comments represent where I stand as well. Cannot stand the Buffalo announcer -- I go to school in Syracuse and have to see all Rangers games (which aren't blacked out) from the Sabres perspective and man that guy pisses me the eff off.

Crosby after today whining about not getting awarded a freebie for an empty netter AFTER EVERYTHING went on, now does not even register on my respect meter.

I'd say instead of the Predators at #5, I'd say Boston because of the NY-Boston sports rivalries make things hard to watch with Boston friends.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
1. Penguins -- and not just because of today. This is an organization that keeps being rewarded for failing. It started 20+ years ago with Mario and it's still going on. Four years ago when they sucked, they couldn't fill half their arena and kept getting bailed out by the league. Suddenly the team is the league's darling. And, of course, you love to hate Crosby, he makes such a great anti-hero.

2. Flyers -- an organization of goons that care more about crippling players than playing hockey. Hated that about them for years, though they've gotten somewhat better since Clarke (a horrific human being in his own right) took a hike.

3. Devils -- the rivalry, the trap. Otherwise you have to respect them.

4. Habs -- hate hate HATE their fans.

5. Buffalo -- every Sabres loss brings Rick Jeanerette an inch closer to heart failure and/or lunacy. Once he's out of the picture, I'll reassign #5 to Isles.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 01:06 AM
clmetsfan

I like the OP's list.

Mine looks something like this. The Atlantic Division is well represented:

1) Devils -- I loathe Brodeur, Lamariello, Stevens, Lemiuex, Clarkson, everything about that franchise.

The rest in no particular order:

Penguins -- **** Cindy. Seriously. I remember being so pissed at Bettman for not rigging that lottery ala David Stern. From a business sense, it really would have been the best thing for the league to put the most hyped prospect of in over a decade in NY, especially coming out of the lockout. Not so pissed about it anymore. He really is an amazing player, but that guy pisses me off so much, I'm almost glad he's not on my team.

Also, **** that team for getting two #1 picks and two #2 picks in four straight drafts (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury).

Flyers -- I remember hating the Legion of Doom so much when I was a kid, mainly because of Lindros. Those late 90s playoff matchups between the Devils and Flyers was a Hitler-Stalin argument for me. And Philadelphia is far and away my most hated sports city, so I never want to see those fans happy.

Canadiens -- This also is mostly due to their fans. I also have hatred for Maxim Lapierre that is irrationally intense.

Islanders -- The Islanders have never been too good during my span as a hockey fan (since 94), but they're still our rival, and like all Ranger fans they get under my skin as just as much any of the others on this list.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Unpredictable1

It's Lapierre wanna be tough guy!!! I totally posted the wrong frog!!!

gone to edit original ...

How does it feel knowing 5 foot nothing 100 pounds soaking wet went toe to toe with you and the ONLY thing you could do was pull him down???

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM
NYR Viper

1)Devils
2)Habs
3)Sabres
4)Pitt
5)Boston

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Mmmmm... I loathe losing to any divisional Rival.

I love beating the Devils. I love flipping over to the Debbies post game to watch Marty squirm and pout and than throw his teammates under the bus. Thats always fun.

I grew up a DEVOTED Ranger fan on Long Island through the Isles Dynasty years. I enjoy being able to chant them off their own ice. "Seasons Over" "You can't Beat Us" "Kansas City" "Blah Blah Blah" All that **** is fun.... ( I dont really want to see the Isles relocated)

03-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
1. Devils
2. Penguins
3. Islanders
4. Sabres
5. Habs

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:55 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

1. Devils - how could they not be? I hate them more than anything.
2. Penguins - **** Crosby
3. Islanders - Classic.
4. Sabres - Going to school in Buffalo you'll realize how dumb their fans are, it gets annoying. Plus that god damn Drury goal and than Afinogenov; pisses me off every time I see those.
5. Flyers - Another classic.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:08 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
1) Flyers... I've despised the Flyers more than any other team in the league as long as I've watched hockey. I'm not sure why I hate them so much but the mere sight of their jersey is repulsive. I do remember hating them to an unprecedented level in 1997.

2) Penguins... I have hated this franchise for so long. I hate everything about the Penguins, especially their lottery draft picks and their fans are the WORST. I knew this kid in college big Steelers and Penguins fan.. I hated that kid so much too -- he didn't help the cause

3) Canucks... I've hated them since 1994 and their fans are the MOST ARROGANT fans I've ever talked to. Even Montreal fans aren't this annoying. I hope the Canucks never win a cup.

4) Devils... Okay I hate the Devils because they are good. I guess you can call it envy but I don't care. I just hate them. I don't really hate many of their current players but I did hate Brodeur, White, Stevens, Odelien, Daneyko, etc from the late 90's into the 2000s/current era. Elias is awesome though.

5) Everyone else. They're not the Rangers **** 'em

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:26 AM
MorrisWanchuk

1. alternates between penguins and devils. crosby and bordeur (with all due respect) are just the tip of an iceberg. it takes me until the next game to recover from losses to these. that could be as long as 5 months.

3. whichever team or team's fans are being d??ks - usually one of the flyers or islanders.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:27 AM
rickyrod

I can't get worked up for anyone except the Isles, Flyers and Devils. I think I might be able to get worked up for Boston if we played them in the playoffs, but we don't see each other enough in the regular season for that to build or sustain any real passion or hate in it. It needs a good seven game semi or conference final.

I'm mostly just annoyed that every time we play the Pens we're on NBC. It's hard to get worked up about such a terrible, frontrunning fanbase. They don't deserve such a good team. Kansas City deserves them.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:01 AM
LyNX27

1. Devils - Marty, Rupp, Smush Face Holik, Fatso, Trap, Chico Suave
2. Penguins - Dive, Dive, Slewfoot, Dive, Goalie that looks like Donkey, Dive for many first round draft picks, Refs, Bettman
3. Flyers - Richards (respectfully) Cote, Stupid Logo, Goons
4. Islanders - DP, Bad Arena, Wang, Milbury
5. Sabres - Announcer, Fans think they are gods gift to earth, Kaleta (Quite literally some of the worst fans in the league, Im sure their are exceptions but jeez these guys think they are like Enemy number one to every team in the league and think that they are rivals with everyone...)

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Cake or Death

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by forhasta View Post
1. alternates between penguins and devils. crosby and bordeur (with all due respect) are just the tip of an iceberg. it takes me until the next game to recover from losses to these. that could be as long as 5 months.
man, that made me laugh

Old
03-30-2009, 07:21 AM
NY Ranger86

DEVILS, FLYERS, PENGUINS.

simple.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
1. Debbies. I hate Brodeur with a passion. I hate that they're as successful as they are.

2. Flyers. I hate everything about that ****hole of a city.

3. Penguins. Crosby and the other crybaby, Lemieux. Pansies.

4. Capitals. Been living in Washington, and have become an anti-fan.

5. Everyone else.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

1. penguins (ice gets tilted in their favor in all aspects)

2. devs (can't stand them but respect them)

3. flyers (I go back to broad street bully days. 'nuff said)

4. habs (PIA fans that come to MSG, and they think they R still elite)

5. icelanders (kinda feel bad for them these days or they'd be higher up, but they have had a way of winning against us at the worst times)

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

It used to be the Islanders, but in recent years they've become like a "special" cousin. You just can't get angry with them.

1) Devils. My gripe isn't with the team on the ice at all. I dislike a few players (Brodeur, Madden, Holik) but the real reason I can't stand this team is the fans. I live in Jersey and have to put up with some of the most asinine comments I've ever seen. Devils fans are obsessed with seeing the Rangers fail. I think half of them would give up a solid chance at the Cup if it guaranteed the Rangers wouldn't win one for the next 50 years.

2) Flyers. I can't get over this rivalry even if it has cooled off. I hate Philly, the city, its fans, its teams, the whole thing. Even putting sports aside, I've been to tons of cities all over the place and Philly is my least favorite by far. Its like a concentrated version of South Jersey, and I can't stand South Jersey either.

3) Penguins. F' Crosby and the rest of that team. I can't stand that whole franchise. I used to not have a problem with them at all. Now? They are #3.

4) Buffalo. They really are annoying. Thankfully all their bandwagon fans are finding something better to do lately.

5) Boston. I have a ton of friends in Boston, and while most of our sports ribbing revolves around the Yankees and Sox, Bruins/Rangers has crept in there more and more.

HM goes to Montreal. They are just as bad as Buffalo. I'll throw in a historical HM to Washington for back in the old Patrick Division days. I used to hate them with a passion when I was a kid.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Ehhh, Crosby doesnt bother me too much. I actually enjoy the fact that the hype that came along with him ("the next Gretzky") was way overblown, and that hes not even the best player on his own team. His antics and whiny behavior have also made him a laughing stock outside of that ****hole bubble known as Pittsburgh.

I HATED HATED HATED the Islanders for such a long time. But to be honest, they've been so pathetic for so long, I almost feel sorry for them now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:23 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
1. Devils - how could they not be? I hate them more than anything.
2. Penguins - **** Crosby
3. Islanders - Classic.
4. Sabres - Going to school in Buffalo you'll realize how dumb their fans are, it gets annoying. Plus that god damn Drury goal and than Afinogenov; pisses me off every time I see those.
5. Flyers - Another classic.
Pretty much this with the Flyers and Isles swapped because of the Isles sucking so much right now. But thats going to change soon once Tavares comes to the Island.

1. DEVILS - I hate them more than any single combination of human organization on this planet.
2. PENS/REFS - they go hand in hand, always.
3. FLYERS - **** the Flyers, and their fans.
4. SABRES - They get my blood boiling just as much as any other team.
5. ISLANDERS - **** them.

Honorable mention -

HABS - go **** in a hat Montreal
CAPS - They always seem to rise to the occasion against the Rangers in ridiculous dramatic form.
SENS - they irk me.
LEAFS - why not, throw them in there too.
TB/FLA - always a chore to win down there. **** them.
CAR - They are always in the way.
THE OTHER TWO EASTERN CONFERENCE TEAMS - whatever. **** you too.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-30-2009 at 09:32 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

1) Flyers. I hate them so much.

2) Devils/Islanders. Obviously, the Isles aren't good now, but when they are even somewhat good, my hatred for them is reborn.

3) Penguins. 'Nuff said.

4) Montreal. Very annoying.

5) Toronto/Buffalo/Washington.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm glad my hatred for the Habs is shared by others .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

1. Devils, hands down, no questions asked. Their success is just so incredibly frustrating, and when combined with their fans' tendency to carer more about our failures than their successes, it's just unbearable. If the Rangers' franchise were anywhere near as successful as theirs, and theirs as bumbling as ours has been, there is no way we would have half the preoccupation that they have with our fate..

2. Penguins. Crosby is just such a tool, like Lemieux before him. Their on again, off again fan base doesn't know what real suffering is like, and at least they were rewarded for theirs, unlike us.

3. Sabres. Can't stand the fans, the announcer, the team, or the fact that I have to share a state with all 3 of them.

4. Flyers. They'll continue to drop if they continue to become less of a goon-based franchise, and more of a tough, gritty one. They'll never be OK in my book, because I hate Philly sports in general.

5. Canadiens. Winning 5-0 -> 6-5 OTL. WTF?! **** 'em.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Im gonna say the devils soley because of Doc emrik that man is the biggest **** rider in the world every save MB makes is the best ever and he always throws jabs at the NYR somepoint during a game not to mention his love for Parise is rediculous esp when the kid packs in garbage goals from the top of the crease and he goes on for 20 min on how good a goal it is

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote