HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-29-09 Avs at Ducks 6 PM MT

Old
03-30-2009, 06:52 AM
chiavsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
This game was actually close...until Budaj let in the 5-hole goal. Story of the year
Hmmm, apparently TG summed it up for me:
Quote:
"The third goal (my addition: which wasn't that hard of a shot, but still found it's way 5 hole on Budaj...and if it was Raycroft would have bounced off his glove and in) kind of deflated us," Avs coach Tony Granato said.

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:10 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
And a reliable 3rd line center, which are relatively inexpensive.
but we have Tyler Arnason, he's better than gretzky

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
but we have Tyler Arnason, he's better than gretzky
True, I would give the slight edge to Tyler. But Gretzky is almost 50.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:58 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Dear god. If we still have Sakic I hope it will be for 5 million dollars cheaper [or so] and playing on the 3rd line. As for healthy, its will depend on system, and luck. I assumed we'd be healthy this season too, so much for that.

As for a top 10 team.
We are far from a top 10 team let alone a top 16 team. I still see us in the bottom 10..
That is about where I think we will be. I don't think we are as bad as we look right now and think even with no change but health next year we would improve. Change coaching alone and we be a bubble playoff team with health. Add decent goaltending too and I think we would probably make the playoffs. Change nothing and we challenge for the bottom again.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Well...at least Galiardi has impressed me somewhat since his callup.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
And a reliable 3rd line center, which are relatively inexpensive.
I'm thinking Stoa.

Smyth-Statsny-Hejduk
Jones-Wolski-Stewart
Guite-Stoa-Laperriere (checking line)
Mcloed-Galiardi-Svatos

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
That is about where I think we will be. I don't think we are as bad as we look right now and think even with no change but health next year we would improve. Change coaching alone and we be a bubble playoff team with health. Add decent goaltending too and I think we would probably make the playoffs. Change nothing and we challenge for the bottom again.
Assuming we get healthy, have a competent coach and decent goalie form the UFA/RFA I could see it happen. But, as far as goalies go, the UFA market has very limited goalies to choose from. Brion is inconsistent as Budaj but can actually close his 5 hole, Khabby may be quite the cap hit and his age isn't helping him either also I fear that he may be getting too much help from the hawks system and D [haven't seen enough games to judge but still a concern of mine]. As for Harding/Kari, I can see the Flyers making a pretty big pitch for them.

As far as goalies go, the UFA market would be too expensive and RFA market might not work. We'll have to see how that goes.

For coaching, there are a few candidates but sadly, none of them golf with PL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post
I'm thinking Stoa.

Smyth-Statsny-Hejduk
Jones-Wolski-Stewart
Mcloed-Galiardi-Svatos
Stoa is a winger, and has been playing that for a while. If you are going to have anyone on wing it should be him and move Guite to center. You could try Stoa in center, may work.

Oh and uh, Gallardi and Svatos on the 4th line ... yea. Firstly I hope Gallardi stays a few more years in the minors since I don't want the Avs to rush his development and would rather have TJ up, and McLeod would be better for the 3rd line than Guite.

Oh well, those lines are giving me a headache and I wouldn't trust them to take us anywhere but another lottery pick.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
chet1926

Quote:
I'm thinking Stoa.

Smyth-Statsny-Hejduk
Jones-Wolski-Stewart
Mcloed-Galiardi-Svatos
If you are talking about the rest of this year I'm ok with that lineup. But as for next year that lineup makes me want to vomit. We will be miserable again if that is the crap we are going to throw out on a nightly basis. To be even remotely competitive we need to look something like this...

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Wolski-Tavares/Duchene-X
Mcleod-Hensick-Jones
Stewart-Guite-Lappy

For some reason I don't think the Avs end up with the 2nd pick...I just think for some reason its going to be 1st or 3rd, so that means no Hedman unless you take him at #1 which would be stupid with Tavares on the board.

We need a top 6 winger, I'm sick of Svatos trade him for a pick. We also need a bottom 6 winger that knows his role a does it well.

Obviously we need a goaltender but I'm not going to get into that and defense needs some spots filled as well.

I'm still holding out hope that we can sign Tyler Bozak as I think we could convert him into a wing and he would be a cheap way to acquire a top 6 potential player.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Avsboy

Smyth-Statsny-Hejduk
Jones-Wolski-Stewart
Mcleod-Hensick-Svatos

This isn't so bad, although I think we should add a good RW.

Last edited by Avsboy: 03-30-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old
03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Smyth-Statsny-Hejduk
Jones-Wolski-Stewart
Mcleod-Hensick-Svatos

PS: Stoa is a center.

This isn't so bad, although I think we should add a good RW.
PS: Sota hasn't played as a center since his freshman year. He was drafted as a center but is now playing winger. Btw, its your lines...

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Avsboy

You're right he is a wing. And we can't really do much better than those lines, we have no room under the cap.

Old
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I'm really hoping the Avs finally bring in a third line center who is actually built for the role. I wouldn't scream bloody murder if Stoa were given the spot, but we need a actual checking center. Not some lazy scoring type being there because there's nowhere else to put him and not a 4th line grinder. I hope the market doesn't overprice Sami Pahlsson--I'd like to bring him back into the fold.

Here's my best stab at it, feel free to critique:

Stoa-Stastny-Hejduk
Smyth-Galiardi-Wolski
McLeod-Pahlsson(?)-Svatos
McCormick-Guite-Laperriere

Perennial scratch: Tucker

Liles-Hannan
Clark-Foote
Vernace-Peltier

Goalie (Garon? Boucher? Fuhr?)

Mike Grier is a UFA as well. Plenty of speed and grit--again though, do we have the cap room?

No idea who we'll get in the draft so that could change this lineup.

Old
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post

Grant Fuhr?

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
I'm really hoping the Avs finally bring in a third line center who is actually built for the role. I wouldn't scream bloody murder if Stoa were given the spot, but we need a actual checking center. Not some lazy scoring type being there because there's nowhere else to put him and not a 4th line grinder. I hope the market doesn't overprice Sami Pahlsson--I'd like to bring him back into the fold.

Here's my best stab at it, feel free to critique:

Stoa-Stastny-Hejduk
Smyth-Galiardi-Wolski
McLeod-Pahlsson(?)-Svatos
McCormick-Guite-Laperriere

Perennial scratch: Tucker

Liles-Hannan
Clark-Foote
Vernace-Peltier

Mike Grier is a UFA as well. Plenty of speed and grit--again though, do we have the cap room?

No idea who we'll get in the draft so that could change this lineup.
Jeez we're dead if that's the lineup. Where's Jones? Stewart? Hensick? Galiardi 2nd line center?!?! Stoa 1st line Lw????? Why the hell is Mccormick on the team?

Smyth-Statsny-Hejduk=>Why touch one of the (potential) best 1st lines in the NHL?
Jones-Wolski-Stewart/X=>Wolski good 2nd center, Jones drives the net, Stewart in the trenches
Stoa-Hensick-Svatos=> Stoa is a potential scoring threat, Hensick and Svatos work well.
Mcleod-Guite-Laperriere=> Good checking line, can also score.

AHL: Tucker

This offensive lineup isn't amazing, but its full of lots of young guys who work hard and can get 15+ goals. I think this lineup has potential. Very good 1st line, A 2ND LINE THAT DEMANDS for Wolski to breakout and make good forwards of Jones and Stewart, a third line with a good combo of playmaking, speed, scoring, and physicality, and a fourth line that is a good, well-sized energy checking line that can occasionally score.

Hedman-Hannan
Foote-Liles
Clark-Salei

Next year, we can get rid of the bottom 2 and replace them with Shattenkirk and either a UFA or Gaunce/Williams/Cohen. Otherwise, this is a top-notch defense.

Gustavsson? Hiller? Giguere? Biron? Halak? ANYONNNE
Cann

Last edited by Avsboy: 03-30-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old
03-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Fair enough--kinda did it without much thought to logic.

I'm still very iffy on guys like Hensick, Jones, and Wolski. All three have some great talen--it remains to be seen if they can put it all together for a full season.

Having Stoa on the 4th line does him and the Avs no good whatsoever. Better to demote him to Cleveland if that's the case. He won't develop into anything if he's only logging 5-10 minutes a night.

Hensick just strikes me as Arnason 2.0. No way, no freakin' how would I want him centering the third line. He's either a scoring forward or he's trade bait.

And yes, Grant Fuhr.

Old
03-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Avsboy

You're right I changed Stoa for Mcleod. And what about this guy from the QJMHL? 100+ pts in the Q?

Old
03-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:

I'm still very iffy on guys like Hensick, Jones, and Wolski. All three have some great talen--it remains to be seen if they can put it all together for a full season.
Yep. Jones and Wolski have to be in the lineup, but all these roster guesses with those two penciled in on the 2nd line leaves a lot to be desired in regards to consistency.

Quote:
Having Stoa on the 4th line does him and the Avs no good whatsoever. Better to demote him to Cleveland if that's the case. He won't develop into anything if he's only logging 5-10 minutes a night.
Yep. The 4th line is a bad place to put Ryan Stoa. Leave him in the AHL if the 4th line is the only place for him on the big club.

Quote:
Hensick just strikes me as Arnason 2.0. No way, no freakin' how would I want him centering the third line. He's either a scoring forward or he's trade bait.
Hensick doesn't strike me as another Arnason, but I'm not sure I want him on the third line either.

Quote:

Smyth-Statsny-Hejduk=>Why touch one of the (potential) best 1st lines in the NHL?
Jones-Wolski-Stewart/X=>Wolski good 2nd center, Jones drives the net, Stewart in the trenches
Stoa-Hensick-Svatos=> Stoa is a potential scoring threat, Hensick and Svatos work well.
Mcleod-Guite-Laperriere=> Good checking line, can also score.

AHL: Tucker

Hedman-Hannan
Foote-Liles
Clark-Salei

Next year, we can get rid of the bottom 2 and replace them with Shattenkirk and either a UFA or Gaunce/Williams/Cohen. Otherwise, this is a top-notch defense.

Cann
A lineup with Wolski, Jones, Hensick, and Stoa on it has way too many guys that have yet to prove themselves on a nightly basis in the NHL. Add in the inconsistency of Svatos and that is damn near half of the every night forwards who can't be relied upon every game.

That along with our group of defensemen who either are old with diminishing skills (Foote), inconsistent or under performing (Liles, sometimes Hannan, sometimes Salei), or flat out not good enough to play in the NHL (Clark) and you've got a recipe for disaster no matter who they get to play goal.

Old
03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
Yep. Jones and Wolski have to be in the lineup, but all these roster guesses with those two penciled in on the 2nd line leaves a lot to be desired in regards to consistency.

Yep. The 4th line is a bad place to put Ryan Stoa. Leave him in the AHL if the 4th line is the only place for him on the big club.

Hensick doesn't strike me as another Arnason, but I'm not sure I want him on the third line either.

A lineup with Wolski, Jones, Hensick, and Stoa on it has way too many guys that have yet to prove themselves on a nightly basis in the NHL. Add in the inconsistency of Svatos and that is damn near half of the every night forwards who can't be relied upon every game.

That along with our group of defensemen who either are old with diminishing skills (Foote), inconsistent or under performing (Liles, sometimes Hannan, sometimes Salei), or flat out not good enough to play in the NHL (Clark) and you've got a recipe for disaster no matter who they get to play goal.
Wolski and Jones will both do well next season, jones was on the way to 20 goals before the injury (he was beginning to light it up), and Wolski is good he's proven to be a capable center. Hensick is a bad CHECKING line center, Guite will be the checking line center. But Hensick as a third scoring center isn't too bad, and Svatos has proven himself... just not consistently. I think we can make an addition to the 2nd line and replace Stewart with a UFA.

As for D, we're stuck with them. Let's just hope we get Hedman to make it good, cuz if not we'll be getting another bottom 5 pick. Liles, Foote, and Hannan is a poor top 3, and Salei+Clark are dead weights. Hedman makes everything much prettier.

There really aren't many alternatives to the lineup I posted, although Jones, Wolski, Svatos, and Hensick can do quite well, and Stewart has shown something good too. We can make an addition up front and give Stewart more time to develop, but frankly we don't have much room under the cap.

Old
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
There really aren't many alternatives to the lineup I posted, although Jones, Wolski, Svatos, and Hensick can do quite well, and Stewart has shown something good too. We can make an addition up front and give Stewart more time to develop, but frankly we don't have much room under the cap.
I agree.

For them to put anything significantly better on the ice next season I think whoever the GM is that did it would have to get GM of the year honors.

There isn't a whole lot we can do other than adding a new goalie, but one who doesn't make too much money and maybe a new checking line center and possibly whoever we get with our top pick.

That's an 18-19 year old kid, a cheap goalie, and a bottom line player.

Adding that to this year's team doesn't make it a whole lot better. At least not in my eyes.

Next year looks like another non-playoff season to me.

Old
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
PeterTheGreat

We're going to need to have young cheap players fill out the roster in order for us to get a goalie and still stay under the cap. Having said that, here is my proposed lineup.

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Stewart-Wolski-Svatos
Stoa-Hensick-Jones
McLeod-UFA-Lapperiere

I could also see Svatos traded and Galiardi taking his spot.

The UFA needs to be a responsible checking line center with good faceoff abilities. Malhotra, D. Moore, Bonk, Madden, etc.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
I agree.

For them to put anything significantly better on the ice next season I think whoever the GM is that did it would have to get GM of the year honors.

There isn't a whole lot we can do other than adding a new goalie, but one who doesn't make too much money and maybe a new checking line center and possibly whoever we get with our top pick.

That's an 18-19 year old kid, a cheap goalie, and a bottom line player.

Adding that to this year's team doesn't make it a whole lot better. At least not in my eyes.

Next year looks like another non-playoff season to me.
It depends on a lot, we really don't know how well this team will do. We definitely need a new goalie, if we don't get that then we won't crack the top 14 of the conference.

Other than that, our forwards MIGHT perform really well, they might not. Statsny could get 100 pts, Smyth and Hejduk might have amazing years, Wolski could breakout, Svatos might get that 40 goals, any of Jones, Stewart, Hensick, and Stoa can become studs, what about this QJMHL kid? We don't know, we'll have to wait till training camp to see if those young guys can pull their weight. Look at the ducks: where the hell did kunitz, getzlaf, perry, and penner come from?

The D, with that 18-19 year old kid Hedman, will be awe-inspiring. I don't think you understand. Hedman is looking like the next Lidstrom, I've seen the guy play he makes Phaneuf look clumsy and unprecise. If we don't get Hedman or Tavares, than we simply will be missing too much to crack the playoffs. With one of those two and a new goalie, its up to the players to play up to or beyond their known potential.

Old
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
We're going to need to have young cheap players fill out the roster in order for us to get a goalie and still stay under the cap. Having said that, here is my proposed lineup.

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Stewart-Wolski-Svatos
Stoa-Hensick-Jones
McLeod-UFA-Lapperiere

The UFA needs to be a responsible checking line center with good faceoff abilities. Malhotra, D. Moore, Bonk, Madden, etc.
I really like, that line-up espacially if you add a Pahlsson or Madden. Imo thats a playoff team.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post

Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk
Stewart-Wolski-Svatos
Stoa-Hensick-Jones
McLeod-UFA-Lapperiere

Switch Svatos with Jones, and that lineup is gold. BAsically, thats the same thing I posted with a UFA replacing Guite. If we get a pahlsson, it would look good.

Old
03-30-2009, 09:38 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Cann
I could see us going for an Anderson type in the starting job, and having either Budaj/Raycroft or Weiman as the backup.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Budaj Bugatti View Post
I could see us going for an Anderson type in the starting job, and having either Budaj/Raycroft or Weiman as the backup.
who? Craig anderson? Why the hell would we put him in nets?