HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm | Ott

Old
03-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Andrew B

vCash: 500
Edm | Ott

To Edmonton:
Brian Lee

To Ottawa:
Ladislav Smid

Simply put, a pretty sideways move. I am pretty sure the Oilers are going to trade Tom Gilbert. Smid is capable of stepping into the top 4, and play tough physical minutes with Souray, however with Gilbert gone, that leaves all 4 defensemen with a left-handed shot. I also think someone with Lee's game better compliments a guy like Souray.

I think Ottawa would go for something like this as Brian Murray drafted Smid in 2004 9th Overall.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I'd prefer to keep Smid. We need bigger D who play with an edge like Laddy. Smid is going to be great for us for a long time

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:42 AM
davegagnerskid

Since Smid is my current favorite d-man I'd have to say we need to keep him. Big, mean, young and improving. Lee may be more offensive, but Lady is the shut down d-man we need in the future. We've got all kinds of puckmovers already.

*When did Gilbert get traded?

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:23 PM
fallout

well keep smid we need defenceive d-men

fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I would much prefer Smid.

We have gone through the growing pains of a very young defenceman, and he is starting to pay huge dividends.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

I've always been a proponent of "defense wins championships", and i would love the prospect of adding smid to our stable. Right now we have:

Defensive: Phillips, Volchenkov, Smith, Schubert (prone to stupid)
Offensive: Kuba, Campoli, Lee, Picard, Bell, [karlsson, karlsson, wiercioch]

if we can rid ourselves of smith, i would love to see
Phillips-Volchenkov
Kuba-Picard
Campoli-Smid
M. Karlsson

in the long run campoli, wiercioch, e. karlsson, and even m. karlsson fill the same role as Lee, while we have no-one after volchenkov and phillips to become a shut-down D.

Add in the history (murray drafted smid, murray didnt draft lee, lee has been somewhat of a disappointment), and i'd have to think ottawa would love this trade.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
mcote97

Who said Gilbert is getting traded? Just because a few monday morning QB's on here bash him does not mean he will be traded!

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 03:42 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Smids a monster!!!

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcote97 View Post
Who said Gilbert is getting traded? Just because a few monday morning QB's on here bash him does not mean he will be traded!
I think hes getting traded because he has decent value, its not to bash him.

Old
03-30-2009, 12:07 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Lee has been playing 20+ minutes a game most nights and no one notices. For a defenseman, that's really not a bad thing. His physical game is improving, and he brings a dimension Ottawa needs with his skating and puck moving.

I don't doubt Murray will look to trade him this summer because he wasn't drafted by him, but it wouldn't kill the Sens to have more patience with him. Smid is proof, like many other young defensemen, that you need to be patient with defensemen. If someone steals him from the Sens this summer, they'll be very happy getting a top 4 defenseman for the next several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh
in the long run campoli, wiercioch, e. karlsson, and even m. karlsson fill the same role as Lee, while we have no-one after volchenkov and phillips to become a shut-down D.
This is BS. Campoli is a bottom pairing defenseman. M. Karlsson might be a bottom pairing guy but has never played an NHL game. Erik Karlsson will be a top 4, tremendous offensive defenseman. Wiercioch is an all-around guy, but he's 18 years old and won't be in the NHL for a few years at least. Lee is an all-around defenseman who will be a top 4 defenseman for many years to come. To say that those guys fill the same role as Lee is a joke, and if they do, it's going to take even longer to wait for them. The Sens have used Lee in shut down situations with Phillips many times this year and he's done fine.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 01:22 AM
ClubSandwiches

The values fair, but I'd rather keep Lee's game. He's very good defensively, I don't know why he's being made out to be an offensive defenseman.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Pyke*

I say no.

I like Lee.

Also - I remember we traded a young defenceman for Bryan Smolinski a couple years ago. Look how that worked out. =/.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:45 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

As a fan of both teams, I'd say this is a very fair trade.

But Ottawa needs more offensive defensemen and Edmonton needs more defensive defensemen, so I doubt either team makes the trade.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
As a fan of both teams, I'd say this is a very fair trade.

But Ottawa needs more offensive defensemen and Edmonton needs more defensive defensemen, so I doubt either team makes the trade.
I think people underrate how offensive Smid can be, and how defensive Lee can be.

I liked the trade because he's a right hand shot.

Old
03-30-2009, 05:09 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
I say no.

I like Lee.

Also - I remember we traded a young defenceman for Bryan Smolinski a couple years ago. Look how that worked out. =/.
That one stings, but Sami Salo for Schaefer hurts me the most.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 06:01 AM
SP

Why?

I don't think the value is bad, I just don't know why this would happen.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
I say no.

I like Lee.

It turned out fine. Smolinski was a fine contributor for multiple years and Gleason never wanted to play for Ottawa. Not sure you could have gotten much more then that at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
That one stings, but Sami Salo for Schaefer hurts me the most.
This was completely equal value. Schaefer was a valuable contributor for man years, a great 2nd liner. Salo's good, but he's been very injury prone and we really didn't need Salo all those years.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Lee has been playing 20+ minutes a game most nights and no one notices. For a defenseman, that's really not a bad thing. His physical game is improving, and he brings a dimension Ottawa needs with his skating and puck moving.

I don't doubt Murray will look to trade him this summer because he wasn't drafted by him, but it wouldn't kill the Sens to have more patience with him. Smid is proof, like many other young defensemen, that you need to be patient with defensemen. If someone steals him from the Sens this summer, they'll be very happy getting a top 4 defenseman for the next several years.

This is BS. Campoli is a bottom pairing defenseman. M. Karlsson might be a bottom pairing guy but has never played an NHL game. Erik Karlsson will be a top 4, tremendous offensive defenseman. Wiercioch is an all-around guy, but he's 18 years old and won't be in the NHL for a few years at least. Lee is an all-around defenseman who will be a top 4 defenseman for many years to come. To say that those guys fill the same role as Lee is a joke, and if they do, it's going to take even longer to wait for them. The Sens have used Lee in shut down situations with Phillips many times this year and he's done fine.
Yes, lee has been great defensively this year, but he still leaves a lot to be desired in our end. He has no physicality whatsoever and is still prone to positioning mistakes. It's not like he's giving the puck away or anything, but his defensive game could be a lot better, and I'm sure it will be eventually.

I do honestly believe that a sens defense in '10-'11 consisting of philips, volchenkov, kuba, lee, karlsson, karlsson, and wiercioch will look very soft and may not be the best defense to run with in the playoffs. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with another shut-down D. If I was grading the two players, I'd give Lee a B+ offensively and a B- defensively, while i'd give Smid the reverse. I think it would benefit this team in the long run to trade lee's offensive skills for someone more defensive. Obviously, both players can work well at both ends of the ice, it's just a different focus.

As for the gleason/smokes trade and the schaeffer/salo trade: Schaeffer/Salo is one of the fairest trades I can think of in the past decade. The canucks had a ton of forwards at the time, and we had a logjam at defense. Salo was only really useful for his point shot, and we needed someone like schaeffer up front badly. Until 06-07, the trade was perfectly even. Gleason/Smolinski was also a good trade for us, as smolinski did serve as our 2nd line center for a few years. The only reason people bash this is because gleason went on to fetch Jack Johnson, but that had a lot more to do with the canes situation with Johnson, not gleason's value.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Too much of a lateral move for either team to do it.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Yes, lee has been great defensively this year, but he still leaves a lot to be desired in our end. He has no physicality whatsoever and is still prone to positioning mistakes. It's not like he's giving the puck away or anything, but his defensive game could be a lot better, and I'm sure it will be eventually.
I don't buy the lack of physicality argument. There are a ton of defenseman in the league with no physical game who are great defensemen. Lee is learning to use his body more and more, and we've seen that over the last few months. He's 21, he'll improve leaps and bounds defensively as he's shown already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh
If I was grading the two players, I'd give Lee a B+ offensively and a B- defensively, while i'd give Smid the reverse.
I'd reverse Lee's ranking, to be honest. Lee is incredibly underrated defensively, while his offensive game will never blow people away. He's got a great first pass, but his shot, while improving, will hold him back. Smid has got 150 NHL games on him, so it's not surprising he's ahead.

I just read Smid is out for the year though, which sucks for Edmonton. It's nice to see him develop, as I really liked his game his rookie year.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 04:59 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Brian Lee is exactly what the Oilers DON'T need.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote