HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Least classy move

View Poll Results: Least classy move
Pulling hair 28 10.07%
Shooting after the whistle 11 3.96%
"Slew footing"/stomping 77 27.70%
Continue hitting a downed player in a fight 51 18.35%
Diving 16 5.76%
Verbal/racial slurs 53 19.06%
Goon going after a star 8 2.88%
Overly enthusiastic celebrations after a goal in a blow out 16 5.76%
Being third man in, in a fight 14 5.04%
Other? 4 1.44%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
thefifthsedin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton_19 View Post
does not work
now it does

i admit that samuelsson wasn't a very clean player. but one of the greatest reasons he was so hated around the leage by don cherry like canadians was that he was a european who played their game copycatly. the same medicine.

there's a story about ulf samuelsson's first shift in the nhl [i personally don't know if it's entirely true]. when he came back to the bench after his first shift his coach said: 'remember, you're not here to play hockey'

thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
rebel diamond

Stomping is far and away the worst thing on this poll, the fact that slewfooting is on the same option blows it even further out of the water.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:15 PM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
I honestly don't see how a racial slur is less classy than stomping someone with a ****ing skate on the foot. But what do I know.

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Garbage Goal

I put down hair pulling because, while a lot of these are pretty cheap, hair pulling is really the only one that makes you look like a girl as well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthsedin View Post
now it does

i admit that samuelsson wasn't a very clean player. but one of the greatest reasons he was so hated around the leage by don cherry like canadians was that he was a european who played their game copycatly. the same medicine.

there's a story about ulf samuelsson's first shift in the nhl [i personally don't know if it's entirely true]. when he came back to the bench after his first shift his coach said: 'remember, you're not here to play hockey'
Samuesson never copied anyone. He was the first real "hit and hide" artist in the NHL. A guy who took cheapshots and then turtled when someone came near him. He went for intentional injury hits and jumped off the ice or tucked his head between his legs until the ref pulled the opposing player off him.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 11:59 PM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
Samuesson never copied anyone.
he did. not a specifical player but a style of playing.

samuelsson wasn't much more cheaper than messier really. and ulf never did the elbow to the head.

one thing i've noticed with samuelsson is that he was a rather poor skater. that's one issue to take into consideration when looking at his hits. a poor skater makes a poor hitter. i mean, look at messier.

and darius kasparaitis tried to fight messier in a game one time

but messier waved like a little girl trying to run away from bumble bees and got that intimidated look on his face like: 'you want to fight me?, don't you know who i am!?'

messier let mcsorley take his fights and punches. and he came into the league in 1979, samuelsson in 1984. so i would say messier was the first real 'hit and hide' artist in the nhl.

Last edited by thefifthsedin*: 04-02-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old
04-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
he did. not a specifical player but a style of playing.

samuelsson wasn't much more cheaper than messier really. and ulf never did the elbow to the head.

one thing i've noticed with samuelsson is that he was a rather poor skater. that's one issue to take into consideration when looking at his hits. a poor skater makes a poor hitter. i mean, look at messier.

and darius kasparaitis tried to fight messier in a game one time

but messier waved like a little girl trying to run away from bumble bees and got that intimidated look on his face like: 'you want to fight me?, don't you know who i am!?'

messier let mcsorley take his fights and punches. and he came into the league in 1979, samuelsson in 1984. so i would say messier was the first real 'hit and hide' artist in the nhl.

Old
04-02-2009, 12:38 AM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
great argument. again.

Old
04-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
great argument. again.
I don't need to make an argument for known fact. Messier was dirty, but dirty in a bully sort of way. He created space for himself by catching a few people in the mouth with an elbow here and there like Gordie Howe did. Enough to inflict pain, but not to injure. Messier fought less and less, and lost his chippy play as the years went by, but when he was chippiest, he was also fighting and standing up for himself.

Samuelsson went out every game looking for the injury hit with his knee or stick, and turtled when teammates went to defend themselves or their teammates.

If we came up with a top 10 Dirtiest Hockey players list, Messier would be top 10, while Samuelsson would be top 3(Probably behind Lindsay and Clarke).

Old
04-02-2009, 01:03 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
slew footing. you're putting a guy's season or career at risk every time you pull the rug out from under him. i despise seeing most of this list, but that one takes the cake.
sorry but every defenseman i've ever played with or against has done the slewie.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
sorry but every defenseman i've ever played with or against has done the slewie.
And every trainer and coach will specify the immense danger of being slew footed.

In the old days, your own teammates would shun you for slew footing if suddenly the other team started enforcing(By beating your face in).

Old
04-02-2009, 01:33 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
And every trainer and coach will specify the immense danger of being slew footed.

In the old days, your own teammates would shun you for slew footing if suddenly the other team started enforcing(By beating your face in).
slewing is the oldest trick in the book for clearing a bigger player from the front of the net without crosschecking him and risking a penalty. i used to do it a lot in jrs. and NEVER got caught. refs are looking for your hands . not your feet.

Old
04-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
slewing is the oldest trick in the book for clearing a bigger player from the front of the net without crosschecking him and risking a penalty. i used to do it a lot in jrs. and NEVER got caught. refs are looking for your hands . not your feet.
So you were what they classified as a dirty, cheap no regard for a players saftey type player then.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
And I am telling you, Slew footing is a very dangerous move that refs look for at the professional level, which is why slew footing penalties are given as "Intent to injure" instead of tripping and slew foots are reviewed for suspension.

Maybe in juniors you can get away with that crap, but in the professional leagues, they keep an eye out for it. In the old NHL days, if you slew footed someone and then his teammates decided to skate by and punch you in the face for it, you own teammates would simply sit and watch them punch you rather than protect you.

Old
04-02-2009, 09:10 AM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
Samuelsson would be top 3
Probably behind Lindsay and Clarke.
bobby clarke ... the little rat

Old
04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50

Claude Lemieux at 1:29 you can see it clearly.

Claude Lemieux at 0:22

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
So you were what they classified as a dirty, cheap no regard for a players saftey type player then.
i guess so.

Old
04-03-2009, 03:58 PM
vivianmb

[QUOTE=Thornton_19;18832178]And I am telling you, Slew footing is a very dangerous move that refs look for at the professional level, which is why slew footing penalties are given as "Intent to injure" instead of tripping and slew foots are reviewed for suspension.

Maybe in juniors you can get away with that crap, but in the professional leagues, they keep an eye out for it. In the old NHL days, if you slew footed someone and then his teammates decided to skate by and punch you in the face for it, you own teammates would simply sit and watch them punch you rather than protect you.[/QUOTE]

really? i beg to differ.

Old
04-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Dark Shadows

[QUOTE=vivianmb;18857328][QUOTE=Thornton_19;18832178]And I am telling you, Slew footing is a very dangerous move that refs look for at the professional level, which is why slew footing penalties are given as "Intent to injure" instead of tripping and slew foots are reviewed for suspension.

Maybe in juniors you can get away with that crap, but in the professional leagues, they keep an eye out for it. In the old NHL days, if you slew footed someone and then his teammates decided to skate by and punch you in the face for it, you own teammates would simply sit and watch them punch you rather than protect you.[/
Quote:

really? i beg to differ.
They might today, but in the old days the guys who did that stuff would need to be able to defend themselves(Before the Broad street bullies).

Much like how in the old days, players did not go after other players for clean open ice hits like they do today.

Old
04-04-2009, 09:27 AM
vivianmb

[QUOTE=Thornton_19;18864129][QUOTE=vivianmb;18857328]
Quote:
And I am telling you, Slew footing is a very dangerous move that refs look for at the professional level, which is why slew footing penalties are given as "Intent to injure" instead of tripping and slew foots are reviewed for suspension.

Maybe in juniors you can get away with that crap, but in the professional leagues, they keep an eye out for it. In the old NHL days, if you slew footed someone and then his teammates decided to skate by and punch you in the face for it, you own teammates would simply sit and watch them punch you rather than protect you.[/
They might today, but in the old days the guys who did that stuff would need to be able to defend themselves(Before the Broad street bullies).

Much like how in the old days, players did not go after other players for clean open ice hits like they do today.
i am 38 yrs. old. i wasn't around before the broad street bullies. my first stick was actually a bobby clarke model .

Old
04-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Turambar

Shouldn't hits from behind & hits to the head be on this list ahead of "slurs" (which is a joke that 50 people voted for that so far)..?

I went with the slewfoot, most dangerous.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Anything that shows intent to injure, such as stomping, hits from behind, and to a lesser degree, slew foot. I chose stomping. Your skate blade is as sharp as any knife. It can cut thru tendons, muscles, maybe even puncture bones. This is why, imo, players like Ruutu should never be allowed to play in the NHL.

It's really sad so many people chose racial slur. I'm curious if there has EVER been an instance of heated trash talking between players when ethnicity/ race hasn't been brought up.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I put down hair pulling because, while a lot of these are pretty cheap, hair pulling is really the only one that makes you look like a girl as well.
Burrows was put in a headlock and was vulnerable to some uppercuts.

If I were in a fight with some dude who's hair was as long as a girls
and he got me in a headlock I'm damned sure I'm doing what I can to prevent him from swinging some uppercuts into my face. And if pulling his hair to keep his head down too is my only option than so be it. '

If your hair is long enough to be put in a pony tail than it's time to cut it girly man.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
Burrows was put in a headlock and was vulnerable to some uppercuts.

If I were in a fight with some dude who's hair was as long as a girls
and he got me in a headlock I'm damned sure I'm doing what I can to prevent him from swinging some uppercuts into my face. And if pulling his hair to keep his head down too is my only option than so be it. '

If your hair is long enough to be put in a pony tail than it's time to cut it girly man.
Are people seriously comparing Burrow's hair pulling to slew foots and racial slurs? He was in a fight and needed something to hold on to, granted it was lame (as well as funny) but please.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Are people seriously comparing Burrow's hair pulling to slew foots and racial slurs? He was in a fight and needed something to hold on to, granted it was lame (as well as funny) but please.
Agreed. Plus, it's no where near as embarassing as Semin's girly fists of fury. On the other hand, I'm not sure if Staal isn't more embarassed considering he was on the receiving end.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote