HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts is an abject failure if the Rangers don't make playoffs

Old
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
asparkoflife

vCash: 500
This is the most ridiculous thing ever. The guy came in with a sinking ship and has done a damn good job, IMHO. You cant completely change a teams philosophy with 20 games left and expect miracles. Anyone who doesn't think this team is leaps and bounds better now needs to take the Renney colored glasses off and look at things objectively.

Renney made AWFUL personnel decisions(see scratching Petr Prucha and playing Aaron Voros) and dug this team into a ridiculous hole.

Please people. Get your acts together and look at how much better of a team this is now. They will make the playoffs and possibly make some noise doing so.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:49 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Torts:

8-5-2

Satisfactory.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Synergy - it's definitely not out of the realm...the Rangers can easily get only 2-3 more points the rest of the way. Look at the sked - Jersey; Carolina, who has points in 13 of their last 14 and have won 6 straight; Boston, who's still a good team; Montreal, which may be a game to decide that 8th spot; and two games against Philly. That's not the schedule you want down the stretch when your closest combatant is only two points behind you and with the same amount of games left to be played, and who plays Ottawa and Atlanta, twice, down the stretch. MTL melting down is not an impossibility as they do have a couple tough games, but unlike the Rangers, they are playing three games against teams not in the playoffs.
It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, I'll concede that, but the chances of them missing are still much smaller than for them making the playoffs. The Devils have lost 4 in a row, they are ripe for the picking tonight. Montreal absolutely has to be beaten on home ice next week, and I would bet pretty much anything that the Flyers don't win both of those home and homes in regulation. They're pretty much in a position where if they take care of their home ice (read get those 6 points) they're in very good shape (93 total). That lost point in ATL means so much more than it should have, though.

Also, for as skilled a goal scorer as Zherdev is, he is terrible in the shootout. I thought we would see him that deep into it the other night also, but honestly I don't blame Torts at all for holding him back. Some guys just don't like taking those shots for some reason.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

RangerBoy dominated everyone and all some of you guys do is imply it's ok if the Rangers don't make the playoffs.

This is all on Tortorella now. If the team stayed the same it would be a different story, but this is a totally different team than Renney had a month ago.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:08 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, I'll concede that, but the chances of them missing are still much smaller than for them making the playoffs. The Devils have lost 4 in a row, they are ripe for the picking tonight. Montreal absolutely has to be beaten on home ice next week, and I would bet pretty much anything that the Flyers don't win both of those home and homes in regulation. They're pretty much in a position where if they take care of their home ice (read get those 6 points) they're in very good shape (93 total). That lost point in ATL means so much more than it should have, though.

Also, for as skilled a goal scorer as Zherdev is, he is terrible in the shootout. I thought we would see him that deep into it the other night also, but honestly I don't blame Torts at all for holding him back. Some guys just don't like taking those shots for some reason.
He's actually 5/14 (35%). That's not great, but not terrible. Only Naslund and Drury are better, at like 42 and 40 percent.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
If we were in 5th or 6th place with Torts come i'd might agree with you. but we were what..3 points from 9th when he came in? We are still in a better position with him here and anyone who watches the team can see how much better the team as a WHOLE (not just 3 players) has played. Schedule is getting tough now, cant expect to win everything.
Agreead. Just look at our scheudle at the beginning of the season and what it is now. Torts has had to play aganist a lot of playoff bound or teams fightin to get in. Then renney (givien he didn't get the time) but none the less torts is our guy. And I'm backin him 100 percent. **** SATHER!

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
RangerBoy dominated everyone and all some of you guys do is imply it's ok if the Rangers don't make the playoffs.

This is all on Tortorella now. If the team stayed the same it would be a different story, but this is a totally different team than Renney had a month ago.
If this team misses the playoffs,it's an absolute disaster.It's OK?

Torts didn't put a player in the box to serve Colton Orr's five minute major.Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti who never criticize anyone were incredulous when they were informed by John Giannone that the Rangers didn't have a player in the box.

If Sather or Renney made that mistake,this board would have exploded.Tortorella admitted that was his fault.What was he doing?What was his sidekick Jim Schoenfeld doing?Where is the third coach on the bench?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If this team misses the playoffs,it's an absolute disaster.It's OK?

Torts didn't put a player in the box to serve Colton Orr's five minute major.Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti who never criticize anyone were incredulous when they were informed by John Giannone that the Rangers didn't have a player in the box.

If Sather or Renney made that mistake,this board would have exploded.Tortorella admitted that was his fault.What was he doing?What was his sidekick Jim Schoenfeld doing?Where is the third coach on the bench?
The referees are actually suppose to be on top of that.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The referees are actually suppose to be on top of that.
The head coach is responsible.Just put a player in box.Sauer and Mara didn't do much on Saturday.

Last time I saw a Ranger coach do that was Roger Neilson and Pittsburgh(it was a Sunday afternoon game at the Garden just after Pitt acquired Francis and Sameulson from HFD)ended up scoring a goal.

Old
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The head coach is responsible.Just put a player in box.Sauer and Mara didn't do much on Saturday.

Last time I saw a Ranger coach do that was Roger Neilson and Pittsburgh(it was a Sunday afternoon game at the Garden just after Pitt acquired Francis and Sameulson from HFD)ended up scoring a goal.
Again, its the referees job to inform the coach. There are times when a player does not have to go in the box to serve something, and times when a player does. The referee knows all the situations and its not the coach that needs to know that type of stuff.

That was on the refs, so blaming Torts for that is reaching.

Old
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post

Renney made AWFUL personnel decisions(see scratching Petr Prucha and playing Aaron Voros) and dug this team into a ridiculous hole.
Speaking of AWFUL personnel decisions.Was benching Sauer and Mara the right decision?Sending down Sauer for Corey Potter.Squishy watches these players every game and according to her,Potter has been terrible this season.The Rangers had no choice but to bring up Potter for Sauer after Torts buried Sauer on Saturday.

Korpikoski has seen his minutes dwindle under Torts.The Rangers need size up front and Torts replaces him with Freddy Sjostrom?

Old
03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Also, for as skilled a goal scorer as Zherdev is, he is terrible in the shootout.
No he's not. He potted his share of shootout goals throughout this season. This article is from December last year, but here you go:

Quote:
Nikolai Zherdev didn't lose his touch in the shootout when he was traded by the Columbus Blue Jackets to the New York Rangers this summer.

Zherdev has been the NHL's surest shot in the shootout since the start of the 2007-08 season. His 10 shootout goals (in 16 tries) are the most of any player during that span, two more than runner-ups Patrick Kane of Chicago and Joe Pavelski of San Jose. Zherdev has also been remarkably consistent he was 5-for-8 with Columbus last season and is 5-for-8 as a Ranger, a big reason that New York is 7-1 in shootouts this season.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=396319

He's a good shootout player, you're just plain wrong.

I don't give a good ******* what Tortorella thought he was benching Zherdev for in Atlanta, but the bottom line is that Tortorella didn't put his team in the best position to win in that shootout and there isn't a ******* thing he can do to justify that

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Again, its the referees job to inform the coach. There are times when a player does not have to go in the box to serve something, and times when a player does. The referee knows all the situations and its not the coach that needs to know that type of stuff.

I don't know, man, I expect my coach (or at least SOMEONE on the staff) to know the rules as well. Torts himself took responsibility, and didn't criticize the officials for it.

Old
03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Again,the coach runs the bench.It's not the officials responsibilty to tell a Stanley Cup winning coach to put a player in the box.It's coaching 101.Hockey for Dummies must cover that topic.

Torts didn't realize Orr received a game misconduct and the Rangers needed to put a player in the box so that when the penalty expired the player could leave the box and enter the play?

Old
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Fletch

Torts' decision not to put someone in the box is pretty much like D'Antoni's decision not to use his last foul with about 2 seconds left in game with them up 2 points and the opposing team inbounding - that was their turning point of the season, the wrong way. It's inexcusable and Torts should not be applauded for that non-move, but of course it's not the only move he's done and the team since he's taken over was put in a position for a playoff run with a few games left as opposed to the direction they were going. Again, if this team doesn't make the playoffs, I put 90% of the blame on Sather. He put this team together and while it looks better on paper now than the day Torts took over this team, it still has been flawed and going from one system to a completely different system down the stretch isn't the easiest of transitions, especially for this flawed group of underachievers.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
You don't have to put someone in the box in a situation like that. It's coaches call. I don't know if Torts made that call in order to use his entire bench during the penalty or what, but it actually can be a coaches decision

Old
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
DutchShamrock

I don't know. I won't be happy if Tortorella fails to make the playoffs, I had a lot of hope and faith in him. But abject failure is a strong description.

The main defense for Renney was the fact that this team lacked any first line talent. No matter what anyone said, the Renney base came to the rescue with the standard "what do you expect him to do with this roster?". So we add Antropov and Avery and suddenly we have the first line talent necesary to win? Really? Hey, if people want to come down on Tortorella for missing the playoffs, I can't really object. I blasted Renney enough so it is only fair to hold Torts to the same standards. But it goes both ways. Renney lacked first line talent? Fine, but so does Torts. Don't go and build a case against Torts and put 2 2nd/3rd line forwards in the evidence for his failure.

My feelings are he has enough to make the playoffs in the East. It would be disappointing for him to miss qualifying but he doesn't get an 'F', he gets and INC because it's a hard task to employ a new system with 20 games left in the season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Fletch

Schoenfeld told him to put someone in, and for some reason he did not. And perhaps it was so he can use his entire bench on a 5-minute PP down the stretch early in the third of a close game, which would also give him flexibility in the event the 5-on-4 went to 4-on-4. And I'd guess that once the PP was over, someone can jump over the boards, correct? Thinking about it, that's not a bad strategy if you execute properly once the PP is over.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Levitate

nah you have to wait for the penalty to be over I think. I could try digging up the rules again

Old
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Schoenfeld told him to put someone in, and for some reason he did not. And perhaps it was so he can use his entire bench on a 5-minute PP down the stretch early in the third of a close game, which would also give him flexibility in the event the 5-on-4 went to 4-on-4. And I'd guess that once the PP was over, someone can jump over the boards, correct? Thinking about it, that's not a bad strategy if you execute properly once the PP is over.
Well, if someone can jump over the boards, why didn't they? Anyway you look at it, it was a mistake by the coaching staff. Either not knowing the rules or not being aware.

Old
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

You're the guy that used to attack Renney for sneezing, now its not Tortarella's fault when he forgets to put a guy in the penalty box??? Way to look at the situation objectively.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So I guess if the Rangers miss the playoffs by one point we can say that it happened because of Torts not putting Zherdev in the shootout or also because of that point lost against the Caps which didn't ruin Chris Drury's Christmas.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No he's not. He potted his share of shootout goals throughout this season. This article is from December last year, but here you go:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=396319

He's a good shootout player, you're just plain wrong.

I don't give a good ******* what Tortorella thought he was benching Zherdev for in Atlanta, but the bottom line is that Tortorella didn't put his team in the best position to win in that shootout and there isn't a ******* thing he can do to justify that
I'll admit, I made that statement not knowing the facts. I was just going off of memory of what Zherdev has done in the shootout here, which if I recall correctly hasn't been much. I guess my perception might be skewed a bit because I expect the kid to come in and pull off some Datsyukian move and bury the puck in a wide open net, but all I've seen him do is try to snipe the blocker (and miss). Again, I expected to see Zherdev once the SO got that deep, but I'm not going to get on Torts for not having him in his top 3.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Levitate

Here it is

Quote:
20.3 Substitution When a player has been assessed a major penalty and has been removed from the game or is injured, the offending team does not have to place a substitute player on the penalty bench immediately, but must do so at a stoppage of play prior to the expiration of the major penalty. He may then legally exit the penalty bench when the major penalty has expired.

Failure to place a player on the penalty bench prior to the expiration of the major penalty will result in that team having to continue to playing one player short (but not officially considered short-handed) until the next stoppage of play. Any replacement player who enters the game other than from the penalty bench shall constitute an illegal substitution under Rule 68 Illegal Substitution calling for a bench minor penalty.

Furthermore, if the team fails to place a player on the penalty bench to return to the ice at the end of the major penalty, they continued to play short-handed but are not permitted to ice the puck as they are no longer short-handed by reason of a penalty.
Basically you can use it as a way to be able to use your full roster during a 5 minute major (in which the player was ejected), but you have to put a player in the box at a stoppage before the major expires, or you have to wait until the next stoppage to be able to play with 5 men.

So if there had been a stoppage near the end of the major, and Tortorella put someone in the box then, no problem. Since there wasn't (or so I'm told since I didn't see the game) then that's where the trouble happened.

Then again, did Tortorella know this or did he just mess up in the beginning

Old
03-30-2009, 12:09 PM
FLYLine24*

OK, relax all, i was under the assumption he received a Major and a Misconduct...wasn't thinking Game Misconduct.

Thats all on Torts now, and apparently costly...how long did we play past the penalty down a man?

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 03-30-2009 at 12:15 PM.