Notices

Game 76: @ Phoenix, 3/30

Old
03-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
It's funny how you guys criticize Stephan. What did you expect? The kid didn't get one single valuable chance to prove himself this season. He gets about 2 games in 3 months and gets to play when Turco plays like craap (which he did during the whole season) Turco played like crap all the way but Stephan kept quiet, didn't say a word. If there's somebody who should be pissed right now, it's Stephan. He's the least used backup in the entire league, he's played the least games out of any goalie tandem in the league and you expect him somehow to save the day!?!?! He's been warming the bench for the last 7 months for god's sake. He dominated the AHL last year and this year, for some reason, tippett thought that Turco was so great for some reason that he played him the entire way. We now can see that that was a great choice!

. . .

One thing's sure, I've got more confidence in Stephan than in Turco. We've seen all of Turco whereas Stephan, we've only seen glimpses of his talent.
While I agree on your premise it's silly to dump on Stephan, he has had a chance before to shine and hasn't done so. Also, Turco hasn't been bad all season, unless you want to negate Turco carrying the team for a couple of months along with sporadic games here and there.

Tippett certainly mismanaged the goalie situation, there's little question about it. However, Stephan didn't dominate the AHL last year and he hasn't proven he can play in the NHL (again, there hasn't been a good test either). If you have more faith in Stephan than Turco, well, that's just a strange belief system based upon what we've seen.

But start Stephan for the rest of the season to try to get him his bearings and see what the team has. What's the worst that could happen? The one remaining game the Stars could/should win becomes a loss? Big deal.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
While I agree on your premise it's silly to dump on Stephan, he has had a chance before to shine and hasn't done so. Also, Turco hasn't been bad all season, unless you want to negate Turco carrying the team for a couple of months along with sporadic games here and there.

Tippett certainly mismanaged the goalie situation, there's little question about it. However, Stephan didn't dominate the AHL last year and he hasn't proven he can play in the NHL (again, there hasn't been a good test either). If you have more faith in Stephan than Turco, well, that's just a strange belief system based upon what we've seen.

But start Stephan for the rest of the season to try to get him his bearings and see what the team has. What's the worst that could happen? The one remaining game the Stars could/should win becomes a loss? Big deal.
So now that the team can't possibly get any worse, bring out the backup goalie you've neglected all year to show he hasn't been forgotten? That honestly seems to be Tippett's line of thinking, and just strengthens my belief that he needs to go.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
So now that the team can't possibly get any worse, bring out the backup goalie you've neglected all year to show he hasn't been forgotten? That honestly seems to be Tippett's line of thinking, and just strengthens my belief that he needs to go.
I'm not sure it's to make Stephan realize he hasn't been forgotten, but the team has to figure out what they have in Stephan and even two games (last night and one more) isn't going to be enough to know. Stephan should have started at least 15 games this season, regardless of Turco's play, and he hasn't. That falls directly on Tippett.

Old
03-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I'm not sure it's to make Stephan realize he hasn't been forgotten, but the team has to figure out what they have in Stephan and even two games (last night and one more) isn't going to be enough to know. Stephan should have started at least 15 games this season, regardless of Turco's play, and he hasn't. That falls directly on Tippett.
That was the point I was getting at. I applaud Stephan for not speaking out against Tippett's idiocy regarding how he's been handled this season.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
koh19

Quote:
That was the point I was getting at. I applaud Stephan for not speaking out against Tippett's idiocy regarding how he's been handled this season.

completely agree.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Why applaud someone for doing something that is expected of them?

Stephan was put in a bad situation, but he doesn't deserve credit for keeping his mouth shut. You expect that out of professional athletes, especially hockey players. Every player on the team wants more than they get. Why not congratulate Parrish for keeping quite, or Hutchinson, or even Fistric (while in AHL)?

The entire sport is full of players who do what's asked and don't rock the boat. If he was doing something special, great throw him a party, but he’s just being a typical hockey player. There’s nothing heroic about status quo.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:43 PM
starsfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Why applaud someone for doing something that is expected of them?

Stephan was put in a bad situation, but he doesn't deserve credit for keeping his mouth shut. You expect that out of professional athletes, especially hockey players. Every player on the team wants more than they get. Why not congratulate Parrish for keeping quite, or Hutchinson, or even Fistric (while in AHL)?

The entire sport is full of players who do what's asked and don't rock the boat. If he was doing something special, great throw him a party, but he’s just being a typical hockey player. There’s nothing heroic about status quo.
Yeah that is true. It's definitely not as glamorous as NBA/NFL/MLB in regards to players speaking out on management..

I really would not expect Stephan to speak out, it being his first major season in the league..

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

while I get what you're saying maybe Tippett wasn't all that stupid with how he chose to deal with Stephan. Tippett is at practice everyday, and sees what is going on. He knows what Stephan can and can't do. While Tippett did manage the situation poorly with Turco minutes he knows a whole lot more than any of us do. He gets to interact with these guys on a day to day basis. If Stephan is really anything more than just an average AHL goaltender with flashes of greater ability then I am sure we would have seen a whole heck of a lot more Stephan. You don't become a NHL coach with over 250 wins without having some idea of how to coach a team.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
while I get what you're saying maybe Tippett wasn't all that stupid with how he chose to deal with Stephan. Tippett is at practice everyday, and sees what is going on. He knows what Stephan can and can't do. While Tippett did manage the situation poorly with Turco minutes he knows a whole lot more than any of us do. He gets to interact with these guys on a day to day basis. If Stephan is really anything more than just an average AHL goaltender with flashes of greater ability then I am sure we would have seen a whole heck of a lot more Stephan. You don't become a NHL coach with over 250 wins without having some idea of how to coach a team.
Coaches are human and imperfect. Tippet's not an idiot, yet each and every one of us sees Sydor on the ice and then compares his play to Hutchinson's play. There's no doubt who's superior. But Tippet has his favorite or he values the "leadership" or because Sydor is the well liked vet he plays him to make the others in the room happy. That may be the case with Turco as well. Heck maybe just feels the need to ride his starter rather than give the other kid the chance. None of us know what exactly Tippet is thinking. And again Stephan didn't really help himself out in Phoenix, but I imagine he was very nervous and gripping his stick tight. He overcommited a few times. Other goals were partially bad coverage in front of him. The point is when given a chance he put up darn good numbers in the AHL. Just because he hasn't looked great in 10 damn games this season does not mean he can't play at this level.

At this point in the season playing him just makes sense. If he rises to the occasion great. If not he'll be playing elsewhere next season, but to say Tippet doesn't have biases or that Stephan is awful is hardly accurate.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
While it is wrong to conclude Tippett doesn't have "some idea on how to coach a team," even I give him that much credit, the argument a coach cannot achieve 'X' amount of wins without having a good ability at coaching is wrong. Wade Phillips has won 70 games as a head coach. Switzer won a Super Bowl. Art Shell won 56 games. Franchione won 107 games at D-I schools. Are you prepared to argue any of the latter mentioned coaches are or were quality coaches? If so, I'd like to see that argument, and it goes to show you that one doesn't need to be necessarily a good coach to get wins.

And on seeing Stephan in practice every day, sure, that argument has some merit to it, I think, but it's tempered by his previous and current lineup choices he makes irrespective of Stephan. Tack in his in-game decisions that remain baffling at times, and you've got 'Lucky Dave.'

Old
03-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Coaches are human and imperfect. Tippet's not an idiot, yet each and every one of us sees Sydor on the ice and then compares his play to Hutchinson's play. There's no doubt who's superior. But Tippet has his favorite or he values the "leadership" or because Sydor is the well liked vet he plays him to make the others in the room happy. That may be the case with Turco as well. Heck maybe just feels the need to ride his starter rather than give the other kid the chance. None of us know what exactly Tippet is thinking. And again Stephan didn't really help himself out in Phoenix, but I imagine he was very nervous and gripping his stick tight. He overcommited a few times. Other goals were partially bad coverage in front of him. The point is when given a chance he put up darn good numbers in the AHL. Just because he hasn't looked great in 10 damn games this season does not mean he can't play at this level.

At this point in the season playing him just makes sense. If he rises to the occasion great. If not he'll be playing elsewhere next season, but to say Tippet doesn't have biases or that Stephan is awful is hardly accurate.
See, but you aren't a Tippett fan at all. So how is what you have just said here not biased???

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
See, but you aren't a Tippett fan at all. So how is what you have just said here not biased???
What?

So because I dislike Tippet I can't say he's biased towards and against certain players. Ignore the person who wrote it and read the content. That's hard to argue with. Heck see Chad_'s post about "quality" coaches. Just because we have an agenda doesn't make our posts any less correct.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Just because we have an agenda doesn't make our posts any less correct.
Eh? I don't have an agenda because I don't have the ears of the organization, nor am I trying to replace Tippett with myself or anyone I represent. I just don't think Tippett is a good coach and haven't for years, and have repeatedly stated numerous reasons for my belief. Other reasons (Stephan, handling of the roster, etc.) mentioned in this thread are just drops in the bucket that overflowed for me four years ago, not to mention that everyone should expect a first time coach to improve and, unfortunately, Tippett hasn't.