HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How is Luca Sbisa back in Junior?

Old
03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
medgett

vCash: 500
How is Luca Sbisa back in Junior?

Hey guys, I'm just a Canucks fan here with an honest question that I'm sure has an obvious answer that I can't seem to find, but how is Luca Sbisa playing with Lethbridge? He played 39 games this year for the flyers, which is obviously much more than the 10 game limit that usually means players cannot be sent to junior. So again, just an honest question, how is this guy back in junior?

medgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 09:54 PM
PhilaFlyers

I think the 10 game limit meant that a year wouldn't expire off his contract.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

luca sbisa is my waifu :3

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
We almost need to stick the thread.

We should do a Flyers FAQ.

It's 41 games.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2565
There is an article on the Flyers' site from today.

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page
Quote:

There are a couple of ways Luca Sbisa could have taken his reassignment to the major junior ranks back in early February.

Naturally, he endured the inherent letdown any player, let alone an 18-year-old rookie, would feel after getting an extended taste of life in the NHL. At the same time, he understood not only the reality of the situation, but the opportunities afforded to him as a result.

Besides, Sbisa fully expects to be back in Philadelphia for good next season.

“There’s no doubt in my mind, I’ll be back,” noted the Ozieri, Italy native, who became the fourth youngest Flyer and second youngest defenseman in franchise history while suiting up for 39 games with the team this season.

“I did not expect to make [the Flyers] out of training camp this year, but I learned so much in my time there, even when I wasn’t playing after some of the injured players came back.

“I met so many great people, and played with some great teammates. And I really fell in love with the city. It was a disappointment, for sure, to have to leave, but I had to accept the reasons why and move on for now.
“I’ll be ready for next season, and I will be back.”

Prior to returning to the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the WHL, the team from which the Flyers drafted him 19th overall last summer, Sbisa was reassured by general manager Paul Holmgren that the move was not a demotion, in the typical sense of the word, and was best for his development.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We almost need to stick the thread.

We should do a Flyers FAQ.

It's 41 games.
41 games just means he is a year closer to UFA. A player can be sent back any time.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
medgett

I just know that at the beginning of the year, this was a hot topic of conversation in Vancouver because they were considering Cody Hodgson for their roster. The media, along with many posters on the vancouver board, felt that they would have him play nine games and then send him back to junior while he was still eligible. I don't know, it would be good if I could find it in the CBA, or someone could point it out.

medgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medgett View Post
I just know that at the beginning of the year, this was a hot topic of conversation in Vancouver because they were considering Cody Hodgson for their roster. The media, along with many posters on the vancouver board, felt that they would have him play nine games and then send him back to junior while he was still eligible. I don't know, it would be good if I could find it in the CBA, or someone could point it out.
A junior player can be sent back at any point in the season, but once they've been sent back, they're not able to rejoin the NHL team until their junior season is over (emergency call ups notwithstanding).

Hodgson could have played 9 games this year, been sent back, and would still have a full 3 years left on his entry level contract.

If he played 10 games but less than 41, it would count as a year on his contract, but not as a year towards his UFA age.

If he played 41+ games, it counts as a year on his contract and as a year towards his UFA age.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote