HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor/Pitts at Draft

Old
04-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Patrick96

vCash: 500
Trade proposals aside...
I'd like to ask Penguins fans where Staal fits in their lineup? Is he gonna gonna play on the third line after Crosby/Malkin respectively and watch his potential as a third line center unwind throughout his career or do you see him moving to the wing and playing alongside Crosby? If he isn't moved to the wing i'd say he's pretty expendable.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:02 AM
GeoffreyPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
Trade proposals aside...
I'd like to ask Penguins fans where Staal fits in their lineup? Is he gonna gonna play on the third line after Crosby/Malkin respectively and watch his potential as a third line center unwind throughout his career or do you see him moving to the wing and playing alongside Crosby? If he isn't moved to the wing i'd say he's pretty expendable.
With no 'Inside source' and just going off of what I read and watch, I take it that Shero is completely sold on Staal (So am I actually).

It is just a little hard to think of what Shero would envision for him going into next year.

I like him as our third line center with Kennedy, and maybe resigning Fedotenko for a third line role, which would prove to be a very solid line (Though I want to see how Fedotenko performs the rest of the way with Staal). But that is only for the short term, maybe for one more year.

It is also not out of the realm of possibility that Staal isn't tried as Malkin' wing going into next year (Again), maybe even with a guy like Kennedy on the opposite side. But that is with the thought that another year of maturity can translate to his game transitioning to the wing like he did as a rookie.

Yes, having him is a bit of overkill down the middle. But, he isn't "Expendable" by any means. His defense would be something that, if not replaced, would become a major hole. He is our top penalty killing forward and is on the ice against other teams top lines. Plus, you can not make a guy with his potential expendable.

On paper, yeah, it doesn't make sense that he is here. But he does bring somethings to our team that others do not. From what I read, he isn't going to be traded until he has to be (If he were to be moved). Meaning, cap problems, him asking out, or an overall need that can not be fixed elsewhere or via free agency.

GeoffreyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Trade proposals aside...
Staal actually gets about as much ice time as Crosby/Malkin... the only place he gets shafted is on the PP... but I see him becoming that big body presence in front of the net in the future.

The Pens are stronger than any team down the middle right now and
I am starting to come around to the theory that they need to build around their three young centers.

I used to believe Staal had to move to wing, but as long as he keeps playing the way he has the last couple of months, it may just be a formula that works for the Pens until the new CBA rolls around in a couple of seasons.

Shero will have to work some magic in FA/trades or one of their many wing prospects will have to step up over the next couple of years...

But it seems like it may be the best strategy for the Pens going forward.

Every team is going to have cap problems - I know Holland gets a lot of love for what he has done in Detroit, but he has no money invested in the goalie position. At some point they will have to put a good amount of cap dollars into the goaltending position...

It is life for every NHL team in a cap world, but I'm willing to bet most GMs would love to have Shero's problems.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 04-05-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Trade proposals aside...
Right now, keeping Staal at center is the best thing for the Pens to do. It's amazing how much better he has played now that MT isn't his coach any more.

Staal gives the Pens the best 1-2-3 punch in the NHL and that can't be over looked. Once he gains his offensive stride (which should be much sooner now that he isn't being stifled by MT) he should be putting up 60ish points a year, while playing a solid defensive game. Teams simply won't have enough depth to shut down all 3 scoring lines of the Pens. They will continue to concentrate on Sid and Geno, which will make Staal's life much easier.

Although, he would be the first center to go if Shero needs cap space, I feel (hope) that Shero will hold on to him for the 10-11 season and wait to see what the new CBA brings. With the possibility of a soft cap or some sort of franchise tag, in the new CBA, holding on to your young stars and sacrificing depth for one year might be the best thing for GMs to do. I can only imagine if Shero were to get rid of a young star for cap relief only to see a new cap system put in place the following summer (and I'm sure other teams' fans feel the same about their star players).

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
angelgirl77

Quote:
Trade proposals aside...
Expendable? The pens are a better team with him than without him. His play as of late, certainly has helped them to move up in the standings.

Personally, I think that they are banking on a bright future for Staal and that his value far exceeds what they could get in return. You can't tell me that having...you figure that the pens kid of have two first lines with Geno and Crosby...they play equal amounts of time I believe (give or take), so Staal is kind of like the second line center if you look at it from that perspective.

angelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote